Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Out of the Blue

The one thing I've struggled with a bit as I work towards mastery of the man-stove is grilling chicken breasts. My first efforts involved store-bought marinade and direct grilling, but they ended up a bit tough. I tried a brine and indirect method that left them looking like drowning victims, followed by attempts to pound them flat that were inconsistent at best. I think I've finally worked it out though: The last couple of times I made them I brined them and then used a simple rub and grilled over a very hot fire (550-600 degrees), and finally managed to create a juicy, flavorful dish. It took long enough, I don't want to estimate how many sub-par chicken breasts I've turned out up until this point.

Par for the Links: Thanks Ant and Acleacius.
Play: Go Virus.
Forever Steve.
Links: 5 Dumb Myths About Prehistoric Times That Everyone Believes.
The PREDATOR 2 Motorcycle Helmet.
Story: Pa. couple's best man- their dying 2-year-old son. Tearjerker warning.
Science: Scientists make "Impossible Material" ... by accident.
Fujitsu supercomputer simulates 1 second of brain activity.
Google's Brin backs first lab-grown burger.
Media: Warwick Davis and Carrie Fisher Reenact Return of the Jedi.
Giant Robot Mech meets Stan Lee.
Mine-Shaft.
Follow-up: Public divide on climate change: Right wing nature or human nature?
The Funnies: Brevity.

View
28 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

28. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 7, 2013, 14:21 Verno

Cutter wrote on Aug 7, 2013, 13:20:
What you post sounds disgusting and I'm being the asshat? Right.

You were being a rude, snobby dick for no reason so yeah, you own the asshat title there.

Playing: Alien Isolation, 7 Days to Die, Dragon Age Origins
Watching: The Canal, Brazil, The Town That Dreaded Sundown
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

27. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 7, 2013, 13:54 Bodolza

Will W wrote on Aug 6, 2013, 13:46:
and you're not "locking in the juices" like you are on red meat.

There's no such thing as "locking in the juices". Searing any meat will result in additional moisture loss due to the damaged cells.

It's all pretty straight forward. The higher the temperature of the meat, the more moisture loss. Cooking at a lower temp results in more even cooking, and gives you a greater window to get the meat off the grill before you overcook it. That's why sous-vied works so well - you never overcook the meat. Brining adds some liquid, and helps the meat hold onto the moisture longer, at the cost of a more mealy texture.

I don't wet-brine chicken, because I don't like the texture. I use a dry brine, medium heat, a good thermometer, and I keep an eye on it.

26. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 7, 2013, 13:20 Cutter

Verno wrote on Aug 6, 2013, 20:42:
Cutter wrote on Aug 6, 2013, 19:38:
No, in fine dining. So, I'm used to eating well, even if you aren't.

Nah you were just being an asshat. I eat fine, I don't normally prepare the equivalent of a 5 star on a Tuesday night when I have 15 minutes before I head out the door.

What you post sounds disgusting and I'm being the asshat? Right.

"Nobody wants to be nobody in America. Ed is the apotheosis of a prevailing American syndrome. It used to be that someone became famous because they were special. Now people are considered special just for being famous. Fame, itself, is its own virtue.

25. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 7, 2013, 12:42 sauron

Hoop wrote on Aug 6, 2013, 17:08:
Well thats the last time I'm googling breast rubs.
I have to go lie down.

LOL!

Hoop wrote on Aug 6, 2013, 17:56:
Julio wrote on Aug 6, 2013, 17:51:
Chicken breasts are terrible meat for flavor, I'd prefer to eat just about anything else.

I have to agree with this I prefer skinless boneless thighs for taste.

Now you need to google tasty thighs. I dare you!

Kittens!

24. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 7, 2013, 11:47 Jivaro

xXBatmanXx wrote on Aug 7, 2013, 07:34:
Jivaro wrote on Aug 6, 2013, 21:26:
Enjoy: http://www.pica-pic.com/#/aerogun_field/

Wow I miss those games. WIsh I had kept the many that I had. The coolest one I ever had was a mini pac man. We kept a piece of paper on the back of it for high scores.
http://www.retrothing.com/2006/03/coleco_pacman_m.html

That is cool! Thanks for the link. Memories.

Yeah, back when the World Expo was in Vancouver my family made the drive from California to Canada and the Caveman electronic handheld game saved my life. My family contained 3 teenage sisters who all wanted to be anywhere but that van and complained bitterly then entire fucking drive. Had I not had that game (and my Atari Lynx!) there might have been blood spilled.

23. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 7, 2013, 07:34 xXBatmanXx

Jivaro wrote on Aug 6, 2013, 21:26:

Wow I miss those games. WIsh I had kept the many that I had. The coolest one I ever had was a mini pac man. We kept a piece of paper on the back of it for high scores.
http://www.retrothing.com/2006/03/coleco_pacman_m.html

Buy from GreenManGaming? Use this, we both get $2.00 - http://www.greenmangaming.com/?gmgr=purutuwi

22. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 6, 2013, 21:26 Jivaro

21. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 6, 2013, 21:04 Redmask

xXBatmanXx wrote on Aug 6, 2013, 19:24:
I normally do thighs or sides. Lately I have been doing crock pot full chickens. Can of beer, chicken with an apple in it, garlic under the skin, some dry rubs. Cook for 3-4 hours, let sit until room temp.

Debone and eat in sammiches, with rice, etc etc etc

Same here I'm a big fan of crockpot chicken, I don't find chicken tasteless but the crockpot is perfect for letting it pick up a little something extra. If you time it right then it comes out perfectly moist without being rubbery and you've got all that extra flavor from your garnish choices.

20. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 6, 2013, 20:42 Verno

Cutter wrote on Aug 6, 2013, 19:38:

Nah you were just being an asshat. I eat fine, I don't normally prepare the equivalent of a 5 star on a Tuesday night when I have 15 minutes before I head out the door.

19. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 6, 2013, 19:38 Cutter

Verno wrote on Aug 6, 2013, 18:04:
Cutter wrote on Aug 6, 2013, 15:55:
I generally do turkey instead of chicken anyway as it's tastier and healthier and you should too! And Verno that sounds just awful. Did you used to work at Taco Bell or something?

It's actually pretty good and fairly healthy but whatever floats your boat. "what an awful post, did you used to work at the jerk factory or something?" Earmuffs

"Nobody wants to be nobody in America. Ed is the apotheosis of a prevailing American syndrome. It used to be that someone became famous because they were special. Now people are considered special just for being famous. Fame, itself, is its own virtue.

18. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 6, 2013, 19:24 xXBatmanXx

Hoop wrote on Aug 6, 2013, 17:56:
Chicken breasts are terrible meat for flavor, I'd prefer to eat just about anything else.

I normally do thighs or sides. Lately I have been doing crock pot full chickens. Can of beer, chicken with an apple in it, garlic under the skin, some dry rubs. Cook for 3-4 hours, let sit until room temp.

Debone and eat in sammiches, with rice, etc etc etc

Buy from GreenManGaming? Use this, we both get $2.00 - http://www.greenmangaming.com/?gmgr=purutuwi

17. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 6, 2013, 18:04 Verno

Cutter wrote on Aug 6, 2013, 15:55:
I generally do turkey instead of chicken anyway as it's tastier and healthier and you should too! And Verno that sounds just awful. Did you used to work at Taco Bell or something?

It's actually pretty good and fairly healthy but whatever floats your boat. "what an awful post, did you used to work at the jerk factory or something?" Earmuffs

16. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 6, 2013, 17:56 Hoop

Um .. Behind you...

15. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 6, 2013, 17:51 Julio

14. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 6, 2013, 17:08 Hoop

Well thats the last time I'm googling breast rubs.
I have to go lie down.

Um .. Behind you...

13. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 6, 2013, 16:59 xXBatmanXx

I think chicken is one of the easiest. Most of the time people just over cook it....

If you are worried, but them in tinfoil, then finish on an open flame....

12. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 6, 2013, 16:27 Creston

Will W wrote on Aug 6, 2013, 13:46:
To each his own, but I'm the opposite on chicken. I cook at a low heat for a longer period of time. I don't sear the ouside like I would a steak because it's not a steak. It's a more delicate meat and the texture of a chicken gets tough when you sear it, and you're not "locking in the juices" like you are on red meat.

You must have a magic grill then. If I do chicken on a grill over low heat, it becomes tough and dry as a fucking bone.

11. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 6, 2013, 15:55 Cutter

10. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 6, 2013, 15:29 Verno

PHJF wrote on Aug 6, 2013, 11:36:
Chicken is too bland to bother with. Cut into strips and cook in a pan. All the flavor comes from without.

Agreed, though oddly enough I find chicken is my go to lean protein because its blandness goes so well with vegetables, cheese and sauces. Chicken is also easy to strip bones/etc out of and suits most of my dishes pretty well, I demand low prep/cooking times since my evening time is at a premium due to GF/kid stuff.

My lazy ass work night chicken recipe:

2 tbsp olive oil
1 of each type bell pepper, cut into strips
1 chicken breast cut into strips
1 onion, diced
2 tbsp Tomato Salsa or Salsa Verde
2 tbps sour cream
1 package of burito or fajita seasoning
cheese of your choice

1 cup of oil into pan with chicken on medium heat for 5, throw in other cup of oil and veggies for 6 mins, mixing often. Dump onto serving plate, add cheese, then salsa then sour cream. 5 minutes of prep, 10-12 mins of cooking time. If you're not licking the plate you're not human.

9. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 6, 2013, 14:43 jdreyer

I await Blue's report on how to grill the lab grown burger.  

"It's just a bunch of mystic bovine scatology to me." - 1badmf

28 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo