Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Betrayer Announced

New developer blackpowder games announces Betrayer, an upcoming single-player first-person shooter set in colonial America that features the requisite zombies in the form of undead conquistadors. This is coming from a team that includes six veterans of F.E.A.R. and No One Lives Forever development back in their days with Monolith, including Shogo, NOLF, and F.E.A.R. lead designer Craig Hubbard. PC Gamer has some details and hands-on impressions of the "eerie" game along with screenshots and a gameplay trailer showing off its unusual art direction, where most everything is starkly black or white (lacking even grayscale), with the occasional splash of red. The plan is to begin offering the game via Steam Early Access on August 14th, and in the meantime we can get a sense of what this is about through the words of PC Gamer:

Betrayer doesn’t fit neatly into an existing genre. On the surface, it’s an FPS set in open, pristine American wilderness that happens to be crawling with undead conquistadors. But the game’s monochromatic art direction, gloomy tone, and sense of mystery distinguish it from other indie and horror projects.

The story of Betrayer is expressed through scattered clues—gravestone engravings, artifacts, notes, and other evidence that you find in the world. Assembling these clues pieces together the truth of what happened to an abandoned British settlement. One of colonial history’s greatest mysteries, the Roanoke colony, was among the inspirations for this premise, says creative lead Craig Hubbard. “The social situation of that time was really interesting,” says Hubbard, formerly the lead designer on Shogo: Mobile Armor Division, F.E.A.R., and the NOLF series. “I don’t know if you’ve read about what it was like to be in the Pilgrim colonies, like if you broke the law, but they’d like… pile stones on you until you died. It was just brutal and horrific and that’s great subject matter for an atmospheric and eerie game.”

View
32 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

32. Re: Betrayer Announced Aug 6, 2013, 12:28 siapnar

jdreyer wrote on Aug 5, 2013, 16:35:
Okay, honestly? Stop fooling around with this stuff and make Shogo II already.
This

I have projectile dysfunction.
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

31. Re: Betrayer Announced Aug 6, 2013, 04:00 Fantaz

"[...] founded by ex-Monolith developers best known as the creative team responsible for the No One Lives Forever series and the original F.E.A.R."

Good thing they don't associate themselves with FEAR 2, F3AR 3, or the upcoming new F.E.A.R Online free-to-play game.

fujiJuice wrote on Aug 5, 2013, 21:50:
I'm so sick of these rushed GameBoy to PC ports, take your time guys, do it right.

GameBoy? LOL! The graphics sure look like it.

30. Re: Betrayer Announced Aug 6, 2013, 01:04 NKD

Is dysentery a playable character?  

If you don't like where gaming is heading, stop giving your money to the people who are taking it in that direction.

29. Re: Betrayer Announced Aug 5, 2013, 21:50 fujiJuice

I'm so sick of these rushed GameBoy to PC ports, take your time guys, do it right.  

28. Re: Betrayer Announced Aug 5, 2013, 19:44 HorrorScope

zombiefan wrote on Aug 5, 2013, 09:57:
Think: Minecraft survival mode meets Oregon Trail meets Fallout/Skyrim.

Wall Street disapproves.

27. Re: Betrayer Announced Aug 5, 2013, 18:45 KezClone

Count me as interested.

26. Re: Betrayer Announced Aug 5, 2013, 18:29 Golwar

No idea if it'll be good, but I'm interested. Seems a bit like the love child of Unfinished Swan with Clive Barker's Jericho.  

25. Re: Betrayer Announced Aug 5, 2013, 17:49 Prez

ItBurn wrote on Aug 5, 2013, 17:03:

Hellz no, Remake of Blood 1.

I'll take either.

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

24. Re: Betrayer Announced Aug 5, 2013, 17:03 ItBurn

Hellz no, Remake of Blood 1.

23. Re: Betrayer Announced Aug 5, 2013, 16:35 jdreyer

"Microsoft is the absent minded parent of PC gaming" - Verno

22. Re: Betrayer Announced Aug 5, 2013, 16:03 deqer

Why do these newb companies never say what engine their game is using...

21. Re: Betrayer Announced Aug 5, 2013, 15:46 nin

Slashman wrote on Aug 5, 2013, 15:45:
Necrophob wrote on Aug 5, 2013, 15:25:
What's next, a game where you play a blind character? The screen is black the entire game, and you try to avoid the zombies using your remaining senses?

Actually, that sounds kinda interesting...

I seem to remember reading about a demo someone did like that years ago...

http://store.nin.com/index.php?cPath=10

20. Re: Betrayer Announced Aug 5, 2013, 15:45 Slashman

Necrophob wrote on Aug 5, 2013, 15:25:
What's next, a game where you play a blind character? The screen is black the entire game, and you try to avoid the zombies using your remaining senses?

Actually, that sounds kinda interesting...

19. Re: Betrayer Announced Aug 5, 2013, 15:25 Necrophob

18. Re: Betrayer Announced Aug 5, 2013, 14:53 ItBurn

I didn't ask for this...  

17. Re: Betrayer Announced Aug 5, 2013, 14:27 Cutter

It was painful to look at even for that trailer. And zombies? Sigh. How about just a nice looking FPS set in colonial times? Besides AC3 I can't recall any other FPS' using that setting. So what are these idiots going to blame it on when it fails miserably? Who's footing the bill for this? How can they think this is a good idea?

"Bye weeks? Bronko Nagurski didn't get no bye weeks, and now he's dead… Well, maybe they're a good thing." - Moe

16. Re: Betrayer Announced Aug 5, 2013, 14:15 Prez

Enough with the zombies! Not liking the gimmicky graphics either.  

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

15. Re: Betrayer Announced Aug 5, 2013, 14:15 Drayth

Does the game have a day / night cycle? lol  

14. Re: Betrayer Announced Aug 5, 2013, 13:52 jdreyer

Necrophob wrote on Aug 5, 2013, 13:39:
So that's what it would be like to play a FPS on an old black and white TV (with insane contrast). When will devs learn? It's not about a gimmick, it's about game play.

Yeah, and while I thought the art style was interesting, the gameplay looked completely standard and uninteresting. Hopefully, this will change.

"Microsoft is the absent minded parent of PC gaming" - Verno

13. Re: Betrayer Announced Aug 5, 2013, 13:39 Necrophob

So that's what it would be like to play a FPS on an old black and white TV (with insane contrast). When will devs learn? It's not about a gimmick, it's about game play.  

32 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo