Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

Alice: Otherlands Kickstarted

The Kickstarter campaign for Alice: Otherlands concluded last night, managing to exceed its $200K funding goal by over 10%. This means American McGee should be able to acquire the film rights that bear his name for American McGee's Alice. The intent is to uses these to create a series of animated shorts with the goal of eventually making a feature film. This post has word:

After 20 days and much nail-biting, the Alice: Otherlands campaign has reached a successful conclusion. Coming in at over 222kUSD, the funding will allow us to create a series of animated short films, pursue larger animated series possibilities, begin development work on a feature film and access larger funding options for a possible feature film production in the future. All thanks to the kind support of our backers on Kickstarter. You rock!

For those of you who missed out on the action of the race – there’s still a post-campaign funding option via PayPal. Just follow THIS LINK and you’ll be taken to the PayPal campaign page.

View
11 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

11. Re: Alice: Otherlands Kickstarted Aug 5, 2013, 21:54 eRe4s3r

DukeFNukem wrote on Aug 5, 2013, 21:01:
eRe4s3r wrote on Aug 5, 2013, 19:49:
Well the trailer is not really indicative of the game. But if the trailer freaked you out then yeah, Alice 2: Madness Returns is dark and not just because of gore. The story is actually deeply psychological and extremely *grim* to boot, since Alice is essentially fighting for her life (she is about to be lobotomized in the real-world and doesn't know anymore what's real, what's memory, and what's made up).

And since she has memories of violence (Child abuse element) parts of the dream world are reminiscing about that, quite bloody at that. But it is not gore for gores sake. Every level in Alice 2 has a purpose and a connection to a specific memory and feeling of Alice. I actually liked that more than Alice 1. But part of that because of the visual design. The gore you allude to has a very specific plot reason and is not just there for shitz'n'giggles. Although when it is coming, it comes hard. Because Alice changes in the dream world to be much more violent.

Anyhow, if you don't want to buy it you can always watch a let's play The Story is very well done, and the visuals are absolutely stunning.

The gore might fit in with the plot but I still believe levels of realism can be tailored to the audience you are trying to attract. The gore in certain arts(movies or games) can be toned down without ruining the story. That's just my opinion.

I watched the movie 300. The story was great, the cinematography was great, the gore was a little over the top for me personally. I think it's an incredible movie but I hesitate to watch it repeatedly because of the gore factor.

Great stories won't suffer from using a few less pints of blood in the end.

Well these Alice games are tailored for adult audiences ,) I don't think Alice 2 is particularly gory especially because that's as I said, a very strong plot reason... it is most definitely particularly grim though. But I can understand if it bothers you. Still, you never kill any actual living beings in this game. As far as you know at least, madness and all. And it's not the whole game, most of it is grim, not gore

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

10. Re: Alice: Otherlands Kickstarted Aug 5, 2013, 21:01 DukeFNukem

eRe4s3r wrote on Aug 5, 2013, 19:49:
Well the trailer is not really indicative of the game. But if the trailer freaked you out then yeah, Alice 2: Madness Returns is dark and not just because of gore. The story is actually deeply psychological and extremely *grim* to boot, since Alice is essentially fighting for her life (she is about to be lobotomized in the real-world and doesn't know anymore what's real, what's memory, and what's made up).

And since she has memories of violence (Child abuse element) parts of the dream world are reminiscing about that, quite bloody at that. But it is not gore for gores sake. Every level in Alice 2 has a purpose and a connection to a specific memory and feeling of Alice. I actually liked that more than Alice 1. But part of that because of the visual design. The gore you allude to has a very specific plot reason and is not just there for shitz'n'giggles. Although when it is coming, it comes hard. Because Alice changes in the dream world to be much more violent.

Anyhow, if you don't want to buy it you can always watch a let's play The Story is very well done, and the visuals are absolutely stunning.

The gore might fit in with the plot but I still believe levels of realism can be tailored to the audience you are trying to attract. The gore in certain arts(movies or games) can be toned down without ruining the story. That's just my opinion.

I watched the movie 300. The story was great, the cinematography was great, the gore was a little over the top for me personally. I think it's an incredible movie but I hesitate to watch it repeatedly because of the gore factor.

Great stories won't suffer from using a few less pints of blood in the end.

Just because you aren't afraid of something doesn't it mean it can't kill you...

9. Re: Alice: Otherlands Kickstarted Aug 5, 2013, 19:49 eRe4s3r

8. Re: Alice: Otherlands Kickstarted Aug 5, 2013, 18:59 DukeFNukem

eRe4s3r wrote on Aug 5, 2013, 14:33:
Am i the only one who loved the American McGee's Alice games? Didn't pledge on this, but animated Alice in even weirder lands doesn't sound bad at all. Of course, 200k won't get you much more than a 20m animation.. in Anime quality...

I love the first version of the game they released back when there was no electricity(yikes, heheh) but the second one went down a much darker path(specifically a path too gory for me, gore for gores sake is not my thing). I watched the trailer, which freaked me out, and basically forgot about the second version after that.

So, I got mixed feelings. Loved the first one, never even tried second one. If they use imagination and creativity versus relying on gore to sell a 3rd installment in the series I would be interested. Hell it can even be a darker theme but leave some stuff up to the imagination for Gods sake.

Thank God for trailers(movies and games). The trailer for the second installment left me scarred so I didn't see much point in playing a demo.

Just because you aren't afraid of something doesn't it mean it can't kill you...

7. Re: Alice: Otherlands Kickstarted Aug 5, 2013, 14:33 eRe4s3r

Am i the only one who loved the American McGee's Alice games? Didn't pledge on this, but animated Alice in even weirder lands doesn't sound bad at all. Of course, 200k won't get you much more than a 20m animation.. in Anime quality...  

6. Re: Alice: Otherlands Kickstarted Aug 5, 2013, 14:22 Cutter

Fools and their money are soon parted.

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

5. Re: Alice: Otherlands Kickstarted Aug 5, 2013, 13:46 nin

I can't believe he hasn't started another kickstarter by now!

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

4. Re: Alice: Otherlands Kickstarted Aug 5, 2013, 13:42 jdreyer

Creston wrote on Aug 5, 2013, 10:39:
There really are a bunch of idiots out there just waiting to throw money at literally anything.

My prediction is these backers will get exactly one (1) three minute short, and that'll be it.

Yeah, it's truly bizarre. Akaneiro is mediocre by all accounts, and this new project isn't even a game. I hope it turns out well.

"It's just a bunch of mystic bovine scatology to me." - 1badmf

3. Re: Alice: Otherlands Kickstarted Aug 5, 2013, 12:17 ELITE

I wonder how difficult it was to create the additional accounts to give money to his own project.

I KID!

2. Re: Alice: Otherlands Kickstarted Aug 5, 2013, 10:39 Creston

There really are a bunch of idiots out there just waiting to throw money at literally anything.

My prediction is these backers will get exactly one (1) three minute short, and that'll be it.

1. Re: Alice: Otherlands Kickstarted Aug 5, 2013, 09:13 nin

Ugh...can't believe it made it...

Wonder when his next kickstarter starts? 9:30? 10:00?

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

11 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo