Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

id: RAGE "Not Dead"

Though Bethesda recently stated that the possibility of id creating a RAGE sequel is "to be determined," Joystiq has word from id Software's Tim Willits that he feels they will go back to their post-apocalyptic shooter at some point. "I'm proud of what we did, I'm proud of the universe that we built. The franchise is not dead," Willits told them. "We're not doing anything immediately with it, but when I designed the universe, I designed it in such a way that it would be easy to step back into. I'm still proud that we did something that was different it wasn't like the games that we've done in the past."

View
72 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

72. Re: id: RAGE Aug 7, 2013, 05:09 Quinn

Fantaz wrote on Aug 6, 2013, 21:39:
Verno wrote on Aug 6, 2013, 15:21:
Nah I'd say Rage is pretty much dead, they need a publisher interested in doing anything with it and it's sales pretty much assured no one will bother.

I still applaud ID for trying out a new IP instead of making the next Quake 5 or something... so they tried at least, and next one will be better.

Hard to disagree on that sentiment.

"Moo," she said.
And I trembled.
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

71. Re: id: RAGE Aug 6, 2013, 21:39 Fantaz

Verno wrote on Aug 6, 2013, 15:21:
Nah I'd say Rage is pretty much dead, they need a publisher interested in doing anything with it and it's sales pretty much assured no one will bother.

I still applaud ID for trying out a new IP instead of making the next Quake 5 or something... so they tried at least, and next one will be better.

70. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 6, 2013, 17:25 2nd_floor

I agree, I'd love to see a Doom game that lives up the first two. (Both 1 & 2 I thought were awesome). They were something else! Quake did it for me also, SP I thought was very fun, and the engine was beautiful to stare at and take in!

Doom 3 was not well done IMO. Too dark to be an action shooter, very frustrating trying to shoot at monsters in almost complete darkness and having very little idea of where they were around you. And not enough use of the dynamic lighting that the engine could do. Overall it didn't do anything near what Doom 1 & 2 did.

id tends to change the setting/theme of their games almost each new release. Doom 3 followed this pattern, somethings the same as Doom 1 & 2, but too many things didn't work. It was stressful even with the ducttape mod, without, I would have stopped playing.

69. Re: id: RAGE Aug 6, 2013, 15:21 Verno

Playing: Dark Souls 2
Watching: Korengal, Legends, Intruders

68. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 6, 2013, 06:08 InBlack

Fuck Rage. Quake only really shined in MP but the single player wasnt really that bad. It was weird as shit though. Trent Reznor's tracks helped a lot.

What I want is a new Doom sequel worthy of the Doom name, although I doubt that we will ever get anything near to the perfection that is Doom2.

I have a nifty blue line!

67. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 5, 2013, 19:43 Rigs

I hated Quake1 and Quake3 multi with a passion! It made me sick to see all these damn twerps bunny hopping their way to an easy kill and thinking they were 'l33t' for it! Disgusting! It should have been put down as soon as it became a 'thing'. For some reason, though, I have nothing but good memories with Quake2. Hmph...don't know how that happened...

...what were we talking about again?

=-Rigs-=

'I know what you think you are, what you want us to believe! But I don't buy it! For three years now you've been pulling everyone's strings, getting us to do all the work, and you haven't done a damn thing except stand there and look cryptic.'

66. Re: id: RAGE Aug 5, 2013, 15:48 mag

Necrophob wrote on Aug 5, 2013, 15:21:
It's not like Romero's original idea (of a hero with Thor's hammer running around fighting a bad guy named Quake) was all that fleshed out anyways.

Masters of Doom is a pretty good read and describes what went down. Romero spent most of his time being a rock star and deathmatching during company hours, and the other guys were frustrated that he wasn't guiding them in any particular direction. When the tech was finally locked down, everyone was burned out and agreed to throw together a simple game in under a year. I'd say it's Quake's weirdness and disjointedness that made it so special, but part of its appeal was that it was the only thing around. If you did Quake nowadays, it would be as successful as Rage...

Quakec and the mod community surrounding Quake are what made it a seminal game. The disjointed weirdness gave it character--and yeah, that wouldn't be received well today, most likely--but there was so much more to it.

Quakec let people turn it into a racing game, an air combat sim, and freaking chess. It had CTF with grappling hooks! It had mods that added hundreds of weapons!

65. Re: id: RAGE Aug 5, 2013, 15:32 Beamer

Honestly, I always thought Quake singleplayer sucked and sucked hard. It surprised me that people preferred it to Duke. The tech was better, like mouseaim, but the gameplay just wasn't fun.

QuakeWorld, though, changed everything. 8 player online with heavy mods was a completely amazing thing.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

64. Re: id: RAGE Aug 5, 2013, 15:21 Necrophob

It's not like Romero's original idea (of a hero with Thor's hammer running around fighting a bad guy named Quake) was all that fleshed out anyways.

Masters of Doom is a pretty good read and describes what went down. Romero spent most of his time being a rock star and deathmatching during company hours, and the other guys were frustrated that he wasn't guiding them in any particular direction. When the tech was finally locked down, everyone was burned out and agreed to throw together a simple game in under a year. I'd say it's Quake's weirdness and disjointedness that made it so special, but part of its appeal was that it was the only thing around. If you did Quake nowadays, it would be as successful as Rage...

63. Re: id: RAGE Aug 5, 2013, 11:44 Mad Max RW

panbient wrote on Aug 5, 2013, 09:57:
shihonage wrote on Aug 4, 2013, 23:12:
id has been dead since Romero left, really.

If there was ever a video game collaboration proving the classic "more than the sum of its parts" adage it's Carmack and Romero.

What -really- happened to make it so they'd never work together again?

From what I remember during Quake 1's development is John Carmack kept changing the tech over the course of a few years. John Romero and the rest of the team were forced to throw out most of their work then slap together a complete game months before launch. Only a fraction of the design ended up materializing. Development was a huge clusterfuck and it's a miracle Quake turned out as great as it did. This burned everybody out so the creative side left to do their own thing (Ion Storm, etc.).

62. Re: id: RAGE Aug 5, 2013, 11:37 netnerd85

RAGE was awesome and I can't wait for a sequel. Was playing some RAGE this evening actually. The game actually has a deep atmosphere unlike many titles today.

Keep the gunplay mechanics for a sequel, they are perfect.

61. Re: id: RAGE Aug 5, 2013, 10:56 MajorD

CeeJay wrote on Aug 5, 2013, 10:41:
Am I the only one that loved Quake Wars?

It looked and played great.

I had a blast with Quake Wars and put a good number of hours into it. IMO, I don't think people gave it enough of a chance and it was underrated, and compared it to Wolfenstein: Enemy Territory too much. There were some things they could have done better with (some balancing, etc.), but overall it was a fun MP game to play once you learned/understood the objectives and mechanics, etc.

This comment was edited on Aug 5, 2013, 11:05.

60. Re: id: RAGE Aug 5, 2013, 10:41 CeeJay

Am I the only one that loved Quake Wars?

It looked and played great.

I'm the developer of SweetFX

59. Re: id: RAGE Aug 5, 2013, 10:34 nin

I've been meaning to order it for ahwile, and finally just did so.

Hopefully it will tide me over to GTA 5...

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

58. Re: id: RAGE Aug 5, 2013, 10:31 MajorD

nin wrote on Aug 5, 2013, 10:27:
MajorD wrote on Aug 5, 2013, 10:13:
If anyone hasn't read 'Masters of Doom' yet, it is worth picking up a copy and reading. It is a quick and easy read...it has been a while and I'm thinking finding my copy and reading it again.

You can find it here.

He also wrote a book on the history of GTA.

Cool, did not know that. I'll have to check that out too. Thanks much nin.

57. Re: id: RAGE Aug 5, 2013, 10:27 nin

MajorD wrote on Aug 5, 2013, 10:13:
If anyone hasn't read 'Masters of Doom' yet, it is worth picking up a copy and reading. It is a quick and easy read...it has been a while and I'm thinking finding my copy and reading it again.

You can find it here.

He also wrote a book on the history of GTA.

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

56. Re: id: RAGE Aug 5, 2013, 10:13 MajorD

You can find it here.

55. Re: id: RAGE Aug 5, 2013, 09:57 panbient

shihonage wrote on Aug 4, 2013, 23:12:
id has been dead since Romero left, really.

If there was ever a video game collaboration proving the classic "more than the sum of its parts" adage it's Carmack and Romero.

What -really- happened to make it so they'd never work together again?

54. Re: id: RAGE Aug 5, 2013, 08:35 BitWraith

Rage was the worst driving simulator I ever purchased.  

53. Re: id: RAGE Aug 5, 2013, 08:23 Shataan

Gotta be honest. All in all RAGE ranks right up there as 1 of the worst games I ever bought. I figured it would be at least as Quality a release as DOOM III. Definately not going to buy anything from this Dev Team again, until I see tons of reviews 1st.  

72 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo