Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

DayZ Public Alpha Status Report

The DayZ development blog offers a new video from the upcoming standalone version of DayZ. The clip features gameplay footage showing a recent version of Bohemia Interactive's zombie game in action, and features narration from designer Dean Hall. Dean explains the their latest milestone testing was to determine whether they were ready to open access to the alpha version of the game to the public, saying they concluded the answer was no. He explains what he feels they need to accomplish before this can happen, saying the vast numbers of items and zombies on a map create complications in their networking code, as this requires more data be passed over the network than their Arma game. He offers more details on things they still want to accomplish in coding the game. There's a write-up that transcribes much of this on IncGamers in case the too-loud game sounds make things hard to understand. There's some bonus footage at the end where some of the other developers on the project describe what they are doing.

View
9 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

9. Re: DayZ Public Alpha Status Report Aug 4, 2013, 13:34 Dmitri_M

Mad Max RW wrote on Aug 4, 2013, 12:37:
The top three things that ruined an otherwise great game for me:

Navigating indoors, especially stairwells, feels like your character was crossbred with a Buick. Overall movement was clunky and in many cases deadlier (and more frustrating) than the zombies themselves.

Zombie AI ignoring walls and running through them.

Hackers. Not only your typical cheats where people start off with the best weapons and god mode (although it was abundant when I played), but really crazy shit like battleships sitting on top of cities, artillery shells flying around, and every player teleporting into the clouds only to drop to their deaths.

The only way to really enjoy DayZ was to hook up with friends on a forum who own a private server.

Unfortunately these have been problems with BIS games since..hmm..2001? I would not expect any of them to approve drastically, except perhaps anti cheating measures.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

8. Re: DayZ Public Alpha Status Report Aug 4, 2013, 12:37 Mad Max RW

The top three things that ruined an otherwise great game for me:

Navigating indoors, especially stairwells, feels like your character was crossbred with a Buick. Overall movement was clunky and in many cases deadlier (and more frustrating) than the zombies themselves.

Zombie AI ignoring walls and running through them.

Hackers. Not only your typical cheats where people start off with the best weapons and god mode (although it was abundant when I played), but really crazy shit like battleships sitting on top of cities, artillery shells flying around, and every player teleporting into the clouds only to drop to their deaths.

The only way to really enjoy DayZ was to hook up with friends on a forum who own a private server.

7. Re: DayZ Public Alpha Status Report Aug 4, 2013, 00:26 jacobvandy

I'll admit I'm just as disillusioned with the wait as many others, but calling into question that it "deserves" standalone status is pretty silly. The mere fact that they ripped out the entire network infrastructure that was so incompatible with this style of game and built it up again from scratch is more than enough reason for that.  

6. Re: DayZ Public Alpha Status Report Aug 3, 2013, 21:44 Paranoid Jack

It's been awhile since I played the Mod and I don't see much of a difference between this and that. I watched an E3 video where he claimed the only thing they took or keep from ArmA III was the sky?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tc_C6ylIK_w&feature=player_detailpage

Not sure why they stuck with ArmA II since it has so many issues. Just watch the videos. I'm not seeing much improvement. Yeah, the interface is changed but it seems to be just as bad as the last as far as micro-management required to change clothing or packs.

I've been hoping this would really come together and deserve the standalone game status or title but at this state I just don't get the feeling this is anything more than a bigger Mod.

I'll probably still buy into the alpha to give it another go and to help fund their dream but I really doubt this will turn out to be as polished as it needs to be... or as it should be to justify a standalone title.

5. Re: DayZ Public Alpha Status Report Aug 3, 2013, 18:16 JayDeath

Heh, I'm reinstalling Arma II as I write this because I got the DayZ itch again and I'm tired of waiting for the SA. I have over 500 hours logged for the beta. I want the SA already!  
Steam: Henry Krinkle

4. Re: DayZ Public Alpha Status Report Aug 3, 2013, 17:28 LittleMe

I'm hopefully optimistic. That said, the community continues with big mods like DayZero with a whole new map coming out soon.  

Political freedom can only be preceded by economic freedom which is preceded by monetary freedom.

3. Re: DayZ Public Alpha Status Report Aug 3, 2013, 16:50 Wallshadows

I wish they would at least clean up the zombie animations but I see they've retained the awkwardness found in the mod. Hopefully they won't be able to climb ladders or clip through most of the environment as is the case in most, if not all of the non-modded versions.  

2. Re: DayZ Public Alpha Status Report Aug 3, 2013, 16:02 Moog

Should have got it out a *lot* sooner - they've surely missed their own bandwagon by now?  

1. Re: DayZ Public Alpha Status Report Aug 3, 2013, 15:46 Whiskers

Should have gone with a different engine. Still looks like it has a lot of the same issues the Arma 2 mod had.  

9 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo