Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Out of the Blue

Congrats to all the new inductees into the NFL Hall-of-Fame. This year's crop includes one very special to a lot of Giants fans, myself included, as Bill Parcells is getting his tacky gold jacket this year. The Big Tuna should have been in on the first ballot, but was inexplicably overlooked last year in one of the biggest snubs in HoF history, but I can put bitterness aside and just be happy that today he is getting his well-earned due.

Big Tuna Links: Thanks Ant and Acleacius.
Play: Laser Cannon 3.
Stories: Owner of 8 TGI Fridays to pay $500K for selling cheap liquor as premium brands.
Dead WalMart reborn as library.
Science: When decisions are tough, it pays to think as a colony.
Images: Passport photographs of celebrities - in pictures. To view. Thanks Boing Boing.
Media: Video Game High School: Season 2 - Episode 2.
Rodman and Kim's North Korean Basketball Video Game.
Jacob tries the Oculus Rift (roller coaster). Thanks reddit.
Follow-up: John Carmack’s $8M pipe dream meets reality- Armadillo Aerospace on life support.

View
33 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

33. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 7, 2013, 20:32 Beamer

jdreyer wrote on Aug 4, 2013, 02:20:
1badmf wrote on Aug 4, 2013, 02:11:
when i order mixed drinks i'll freely go for the well junk. i'll freely admit i have no sensitivity to differences in alcohol at all; popov tastes the same to me as grey goose or whatever fancier stuff they have out there.

but for you aficionados out there, i saw on an episode of mythbusters once that if you run cheap vodka through a water filter it'll taste the same as the expensive stuff, to the point where a professional vodka reviewer couldn't tell the difference. and i mean like a brita filter, not one of those frankensteinian rube-goldberg contraptions.

Wow, that's a neat trick. Bet it works for rum too. WOnder how long the filter lasts doing that?

It would theoretically work for white rum, but rum is about flavor, vodka is about lack of flavor. You'd just be filtering out flavor.

In any case, they deemed the vodka filtering test "BUSTED." They claimed it tasted better, but still fell short and that turning a $10 bottle into a $20 bottle wasn't worth the effort.
We actually did it a while before they did (it was a big internet thing, which is why they did it on the show.) We didn't notice a huge change. Then someone put a jolly rancher or three in with it. That really, really did not help.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

32. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 7, 2013, 20:06 Sepharo

Verno wrote on Aug 7, 2013, 15:42:
Every time I go to replay Skyrim I spend 2-3 hours getting mods installed, updated, etc then never actually play it

Hell you at least install the mods. I just read about which ones I should get and then... wait did I just win a round of GunGame? Where am I?

31. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 7, 2013, 15:42 Verno

Every time I go to replay Skyrim I spend 2-3 hours getting mods installed, updated, etc then never actually play it  

Playing: Alien Isolation, 7 Days to Die, Dragon Age Origins
Watching: The Canal, Brazil, The Town That Dreaded Sundown

30. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 4, 2013, 12:23 xXBatmanXx

SKYRIM SALE TODAY!

Finally grabbed Dragonborn for 9.99....stopped kidding myself....

This comment was edited on Aug 4, 2013, 12:34.

Buy from GreenManGaming? Use this, we both get $2.00 - http://www.greenmangaming.com/?gmgr=purutuwi

29. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 4, 2013, 02:21 jdreyer

Just read this about Carmack:

For the unitiated, you may ask why listen to Mr. Carmack. Well, he coded a hardware-optimized build of Wolfenstein 3D for the iPhone in 4 days, when it was estimated to take a full team of programmers two months to perform a basic (unoptimized) port.

"It's just a bunch of mystic bovine scatology to me." - 1badmf

28. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 4, 2013, 02:20 jdreyer

1badmf wrote on Aug 4, 2013, 02:11:
when i order mixed drinks i'll freely go for the well junk. i'll freely admit i have no sensitivity to differences in alcohol at all; popov tastes the same to me as grey goose or whatever fancier stuff they have out there.

but for you aficionados out there, i saw on an episode of mythbusters once that if you run cheap vodka through a water filter it'll taste the same as the expensive stuff, to the point where a professional vodka reviewer couldn't tell the difference. and i mean like a brita filter, not one of those frankensteinian rube-goldberg contraptions.

Wow, that's a neat trick. Bet it works for rum too. WOnder how long the filter lasts doing that?

27. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 4, 2013, 02:11 1badmf

26. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 4, 2013, 01:34 Pigeon

mag wrote on Aug 3, 2013, 23:50:
jdreyer wrote on Aug 3, 2013, 14:57:
NewMaxx wrote on Aug 3, 2013, 14:25:

Yeah, no kidding. I can't help but be reminded of the wine tests that have been done where people have easily been fooled into preferring the far cheaper product.

Yeah, some of those people fooled are wine professionals.

I don't think this applies universally of course. Beer is a good example. I can tell a Bud from Trappiste blindfolded. And a good tequila like Patron is smooth and earthy, missing the harsh bitter bite of cheap tequila, but even that is pretty subtle. However, for things like vodka and rum, I can't tell good from bad in a blind test.

What is notable about nearly all studies of that sort, is that they are focused on tricking people, rather than actually testing if they can tell things apart with no preconceptions going in. (There are some flat-out blind taste tests including expensive and cheap wines, but I don't think that anyone should be surprised that sometimes cheap wines taste really good and expensive ones taste gross)

The only things most of them prove, in the end, are that:

1: Oftentimes people prefer specific cheaper wines to specific expensive wines

2: Your *expectations* of a taste can make you think you taste it. That is: Expecting the taste of a red can make you think you're tasting a red. Expecting it to taste more expensive will *make* it taste more expensive. Being primed to look for tastes of apricot, leather, dirt, will make you *taste* apricot, leather, dirt.

Surely there's a better place to order top-shelf liquor than TGI Fridays. This may explain why patrons were fooled so easily, they had bad taste to start with.

I tend to glaze over when people tell me about the merits of a wine, sounds like that's for the best anyways.

25. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 4, 2013, 01:17 xXBatmanXx

btallas wrote on Aug 3, 2013, 18:43:
Blue wrote on Aug 3, 2013, 16:59:
btallas wrote on Aug 3, 2013, 16:29:
Belittling is a strong word but it's cool if you wanna use it. I'm mainly questioning the biggest snub comment. If you wanna be technical, the biggest snub in hall of fame history is Charles Haley. No other player in NFL history has 5 super bowl rings plus he redefined the defensive end position to a more quick, agile position.

I don't mean to put words in your mouth, you said "let's be real, one of those was pure luck," which I took as pretty dismissive.

If you wanna be technical, the biggest snub in hall of fame history is Charles Haley.

I won't argue that, off the top of my head I would agree, though a good case could be made for Jerry Kramer. That's why I didn't say skipping over Parcells last year was the biggest snub in HoF history, I said it was "one of the biggest."

My bad, didn't notice one of the biggest. Thought you said the biggest. I apologize.

ONLY coach to lead 4 diff teams to the playoffs.

Buy from GreenManGaming? Use this, we both get $2.00 - http://www.greenmangaming.com/?gmgr=purutuwi

24. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 3, 2013, 23:50 mag

NewMaxx wrote on Aug 3, 2013, 14:25:

Yeah, no kidding. I can't help but be reminded of the wine tests that have been done where people have easily been fooled into preferring the far cheaper product.

Yeah, some of those people fooled are wine professionals.

I don't think this applies universally of course. Beer is a good example. I can tell a Bud from Trappiste blindfolded. And a good tequila like Patron is smooth and earthy, missing the harsh bitter bite of cheap tequila, but even that is pretty subtle. However, for things like vodka and rum, I can't tell good from bad in a blind test.

What is notable about nearly all studies of that sort, is that they are focused on tricking people, rather than actually testing if they can tell things apart with no preconceptions going in. (There are some flat-out blind taste tests including expensive and cheap wines, but I don't think that anyone should be surprised that sometimes cheap wines taste really good and expensive ones taste gross)

The only things most of them prove, in the end, are that:

1: Oftentimes people prefer specific cheaper wines to specific expensive wines

2: Your *expectations* of a taste can make you think you taste it. That is: Expecting the taste of a red can make you think you're tasting a red. Expecting it to taste more expensive will *make* it taste more expensive. Being primed to look for tastes of apricot, leather, dirt, will make you *taste* apricot, leather, dirt.

23. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 3, 2013, 18:43 btallas

Belittling is a strong word but it's cool if you wanna use it. I'm mainly questioning the biggest snub comment. If you wanna be technical, the biggest snub in hall of fame history is Charles Haley. No other player in NFL history has 5 super bowl rings plus he redefined the defensive end position to a more quick, agile position.

I don't mean to put words in your mouth, you said "let's be real, one of those was pure luck," which I took as pretty dismissive.

If you wanna be technical, the biggest snub in hall of fame history is Charles Haley.

I won't argue that, off the top of my head I would agree, though a good case could be made for Jerry Kramer. That's why I didn't say skipping over Parcells last year was the biggest snub in HoF history, I said it was "one of the biggest."

My bad, didn't notice one of the biggest. Thought you said the biggest. I apologize.

22. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 3, 2013, 17:47 jdreyer

Blue wrote on Aug 3, 2013, 15:49:
Then the Giants beat the heavily favored Bills in the Super Bowl.

Greatest Superbowl game ever, IMO. I can still remember plays from that game after all these years, but none of the others come to mind.

21. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 3, 2013, 17:40 Frags4Fun

Sepharo wrote on Aug 3, 2013, 16:06:
Got to try Oculus Rift yesterday. Somebody brought it into work to disrupt our productivity

I was very very impressed with how awesome it was even though I just watched/interacted with the roller coaster demo. It's amazing how tangible the depth is in a way that you don't get staring at a normal flat display. Most of the people that tried it on said they were dizzy and disoriented afterwards but I didn't feel that way. I assume they don't play FPS much.

I wish I was there. I would love to see one in action.

20. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 3, 2013, 17:39 Hoop

*Throws that little ball sack thingy into the middle of this strained argument before someone gets really specific.*

Um .. Behind you...

19. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 3, 2013, 16:59  Blue 

Stephen "Blue" Heaslip
Blue's News Publisher, Editor-in-Chief, El Presidente for Life

18. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 3, 2013, 16:37 Prez

I'm biased (lifelong Giants fan) but regardless I think Parcells is easily a slam-dunk Hall of Fame coach. A quick look at his career resume pretty much cements that I think.  

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

17. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 3, 2013, 16:29 btallas

Blue wrote on Aug 3, 2013, 15:49:
btallas wrote on Aug 3, 2013, 13:04:
Just curious but why do you believe Bill Parcells should be a slam dunk hall of fame candidate?

Jivaro covered about everything I would say in reply save for one point.

He did win 2 super bowls but let's be real, one of those was pure luck.

Let's be really real. To get the chance to play in the Super Bowl that season the Giants had to beat the heavily favored 49ers in the title game. That's the backup QB-led Giants versus the Joe Montana-led back-to-back defending Super Bowl champs. On the road.

Then the Giants beat the heavily favored Bills in the Super Bowl. And how did they manage that? By Bill Parcells flat-out out-coaching Marv Levy, and there aren't many who saw that game who would deny it. Out-coaching the opposition in the biggest game of the year? To belittle that as not being a valid argument for him being a Hall of Fame shoe-in is missing the point entirely: It should be the first thing you mention when listing his qualifications.

16. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 3, 2013, 16:06 Sepharo

Got to try Oculus Rift yesterday. Somebody brought it into work to disrupt our productivity

I was very very impressed with how awesome it was even though I just watched/interacted with the roller coaster demo. It's amazing how tangible the depth is in a way that you don't get staring at a normal flat display. Most of the people that tried it on said they were dizzy and disoriented afterwards but I didn't feel that way. I assume they don't play FPS much.

15. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 3, 2013, 15:49  Blue 

btallas wrote on Aug 3, 2013, 13:04:
Just curious but why do you believe Bill Parcells should be a slam dunk hall of fame candidate?

Jivaro covered about everything I would say in reply save for one point.

He did win 2 super bowls but let's be real, one of those was pure luck.

Let's be really real. To get the chance to play in the Super Bowl that season the Giants had to beat the heavily favored 49ers in the title game. That's the backup QB-led Giants versus the Joe Montana-led back-to-back defending Super Bowl champs. On the road.

Then the Giants beat the heavily favored Bills in the Super Bowl. And how did they manage that? By Bill Parcells flat-out out-coaching Marv Levy, and there aren't many who saw that game who would deny it. Out-coaching the opposition in the biggest game of the year? To belittle that as not being a valid argument for him being a Hall of Fame shoe-in is missing the point entirely: It should be the first thing you mention when listing his qualifications.

Stephen "Blue" Heaslip
Blue's News Publisher, Editor-in-Chief, El Presidente for Life

14. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 3, 2013, 15:39 NewMaxx

However, for things like vodka and rum, I can't tell good from bad in a blind test.

Yeah, those are the worst offenders. I mean I can tell if a vodka is rye-based but I might have trouble telling Sobieski from Belvedere in a mixed drink or even just watered down from ice. Rum is even more difficult for me since rum n' coke is one of those things that varies naturally. Still, I'd like to think I could tell if it was rubbing alcohol (although then again, Ketel One tastes close to that, lol) or dirty water, though.

33 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo