Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Realms of Arkania: Blade of Destiny Remake Woes

Steam now offers Realms of Arkania: Blade of Destiny, Australian developer Crafty Studios' effort at a "faithful remake" of the original game of the same name from back in the early 1990s. Unfortunately, the launch of the remake has not gone smoothly, as evidenced by the unhappy Steam Community posts on the topic, which complain of rampant bugs and other issues (thanks RPGCodex via Allen). A post from one of the developers offers apologies, explaining that their plans for a day one patch were derailed, and they are working on a catch up patch with fixes:

First of all, I am neither a publishers nor a developers spokesman, and my CM times were over a long time ago. I am now speaking as helping hand of the dev team and coordinator of the next patching efforts.

Let me apologize first. It was in no way intended to deliver the game with a load of bugs, glitches and errors, and I fully understand the outrage of every single player who played the game now and stumbled upon problems that shouldn´t be present in ANY released version. There is no time for and no sense in blameshifting, so I can only tell you the truth. We ran during the work on the Day1 patch into unexpected troubles. Severe unexpected troubles that costed many days of otherwise productive bugfixing and optimization work. I know that the release should have been delayed by the lost time (+ an additional security timeframe), but that is not the developers decision.

However, we are tackling the issues fast, and we hit them pretty good. (As former American football champ I like the words "tackling" and "hit" here). This means, we will give you DAILY updates and fixes, and we will adress many of the issues during the next days.

The first patch today will already bring relieve to many of you, and you can look up the plan for the next days here:

http://forum.schicksalsklinge.com/index.php?page=Board&boardID=93

And I will keep you updated on a daily base untill all is done and good.

View
18 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

18. Re: Realms of Arkania: Blade of Destiny Remake Woes Aug 1, 2013, 15:46 eRe4s3r

Creston wrote on Aug 1, 2013, 11:25:
UttiniDaKilrJawa wrote on Jul 31, 2013, 15:50:
eRe4s3r wrote on Jul 31, 2013, 14:40:
Maybe.. but then there are games that are unfinished.. and this is one of em. More broken than... well, I could now claim I never saw something as bad as this.. but it'd be a lie I played a lot of crap in my time....

Speaking of .... Shadowrun Returns
Is there somewhere where one can read up on lore without buying books?

Ask and ye shall receive.

http://www.shadowruntabletop.com/game-resources/shadowrun-timeline/

I hope they make enough money they can give us an entire game based around Dunkelzahn's election and subsequent assassination. The game modules and books based on that storyline were absolutely brilliant.

I hope some modders figure out a way to make Decking more Interesting. As it stands it's just combat with different sprites, it should require INTELLIGENCE and SKILL of the player to properly Deck, not just a blunt skill check "IF Decking = 6 DO action party free karma"

It's what I really disliked about the Shadowrun Return campaign. Karma got dished out for completed missions but we never did anything of any skill whatsoever aside combat. I never really felt like I did anything in the story myself. There was never any thought involved, no puzzles to solve.. nothing.

It made me understand why developers put mini-games into games to "spicen up" hacking/lock picking and such. Because if it's not a player skill based thing (even if you do a skill-check first) then you end up with a "win" button. And Decking in the Shadowrun campaign is the "win" button.

A good RPG adds things that require player skill. Be it finding particular notes or items that give you advantages in dialog or certain situations. Or be it finding a hidden wall because you activated search for traps and walked slowly with your character... (BG2/NWN)

The way they handled Etiquettes particularly rubbed me the wrong way. Basically it's another 0 skill WIN button. Worse, you don't get to apply your teams stats and skills which is even worse...

Basically, I like what shadowrun returns could be, but I really disliked it's "OC" ...

The problem I see is that Shadowrun doesn't support hidden "hover over" zones. Ie, like in BG2 where you would need to actually look around and see what you might be able to USE. It also doesn't support using Items "on" something, or as part of the dialog. Which is even more weird...

Sigh. Lot's of potential, but the bad OC of Shadowrun made me glad I didn't back it, although I bought it so the jokes on me anyway...

Also I want to mention something even RPG-Codex forgot in it's review. The Immersion. The setting is great, the feeling is great, but you never get any character you can get attached to. And this is why it ain't Biowarian** writing. Bioware has crappy dialog for sure, but they have great and sometimes truly and honestly decent characters. SRR does not have that. It has no character that you can get attached to, no snarky 1 liners after combat. It *tries* to do that certainly, but it just fizzles out near the end..

Essentially, SRR is a 2 part game. The first part, is immersive and smells of RPG greatness.. if, and only if.. they had added more. But budget...

The second part is a combat grind, with nearly 0 RPG.

This comment was edited on Aug 1, 2013, 16:27.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

17. Re: Realms of Arkania: Blade of Destiny Remake Woes Aug 1, 2013, 11:25 Creston

Maybe.. but then there are games that are unfinished.. and this is one of em. More broken than... well, I could now claim I never saw something as bad as this.. but it'd be a lie I played a lot of crap in my time....

I hope they make enough money they can give us an entire game based around Dunkelzahn's election and subsequent assassination. The game modules and books based on that storyline were absolutely brilliant.

16. Re: Steam needs to take some responsibility... Aug 1, 2013, 02:09 eRe4s3r

It's also funny that this issue springs up twice in so quick succession... first Citadels, now this. ^^  

15. Re: Realms of Arkania: Blade of Destiny Remake Woes Aug 1, 2013, 02:01 eRe4s3r

Thank you!

14. Steam needs to take some responsibility... Aug 1, 2013, 00:46 JohnBirshire

Steam needs to take some responsibility...they are taking their cut from sales of games that were half done when the developer ran out of money and said "Oh, let's just throw it on there and steal some money before we go bankrupt". In the long run it is hurting Steam's reputation, and will ultimately end up damaging the brand. Steam owes more to it's customers than this.  

13. Re: Realms of Arkania: Blade of Destiny Remake Woes Jul 31, 2013, 21:22 PropheT

HorrorScope wrote on Jul 31, 2013, 19:24:
Ah see that, you use humility and then I feel like the ass. Well played.

Nothing you said was wrong, not much else I could say there

12. Re: Realms of Arkania: Blade of Destiny Remake Woes Jul 31, 2013, 19:24 HorrorScope

PropheT wrote on Jul 31, 2013, 19:11:
I won't argue that I'm a dumbass for buying it, though, that's kind of a given that this point :p

Ah see that, you use humility and then I feel like the ass. Well played.

11. Re: Realms of Arkania: Blade of Destiny Remake Woes Jul 31, 2013, 19:11 PropheT

HorrorScope wrote on Jul 31, 2013, 18:54:
Well you haven't really even played it then to know much. I think every game ever released there has been someone out there who couldn't even get it to run. My point is, perhaps once you get past your bug and get to play more, perhaps there is something good there. That said, it sucks that buggy games are released, the only other half full comments I can make is, they are aware and focused it seems, a patch will be out today and it cost only $20. In yesteryear it would have been a fifty spot.

Well, obviously I haven't played it much, it doesn't work.

It's not about getting it to run, it starts just fine. Features in the game just plain don't work. The character creator doesn't work; create a character, save them, and look at them afterward. The stats and picture don't match what you just created. Try to leave that starting screen where you chose your characters, and sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't. Tooltips are incorrect, don't work, or just plain don't exist...and so on, and so on.

I won't argue that I'm a dumbass for buying it, though, that's kind of a given that this point :p

10. Re: Realms of Arkania: Blade of Destiny Remake Woes Jul 31, 2013, 18:54 HorrorScope

PropheT wrote on Jul 31, 2013, 18:25:
This game deserves it. It shouldn't even be for sale.

I bought it because I loved the original ones, and can't really even get past the character creator. It's flat out broken, doesn't work. There are games on Steam being sold in Alpha and Beta states and are advertised that way and they work better than this game does being sold as it is.

Well you haven't really even played it then to know much. I think every game ever released there has been someone out there who couldn't even get it to run. My point is, perhaps once you get past your bug and get to play more, perhaps there is something good there. That said, it sucks that buggy games are released, the only other half full comments I can make is, they are aware and focused it seems, a patch will be out today and it cost only $20. In yesteryear it would have been a fifty spot.

But then again we all should learn the lesson of waiting for some feedback then buy. Don't be that guy that is in a hurry when you have 25 steam games you bought you still have to go back to play. Just sayin.

9. Re: Realms of Arkania: Blade of Destiny Remake Woes Jul 31, 2013, 18:29 ASeven

Played and finished this twice back in the Amiga days, still holds a special place as one of the best RPGs I've ever played. A shame the remake turned out to be this bad, the game deserved better than this. If the patching turns the game into something more decent I'll think about buying this then.  

8. Re: Realms of Arkania: Blade of Destiny Remake Woes Jul 31, 2013, 18:25 PropheT

nin wrote on Jul 31, 2013, 14:26:
Believe me, you could make the most perfect game ever and still see the filth of the steam community.

Said it before: I pity any dev that steps foot in there.

This game deserves it. It shouldn't even be for sale.

I bought it because I loved the original ones, and can't really even get past the character creator. It's flat out broken, doesn't work. There are games on Steam being sold in Alpha and Beta states and are advertised that way and they work better than this game does being sold as it is.

7. Re: Realms of Arkania: Blade of Destiny Remake Woes Jul 31, 2013, 15:59 Cutter

That's too bad. Loved the original and was looking forward to this.

"Bye weeks? Bronko Nagurski didn't get no bye weeks, and now he's dead… Well, maybe they're a good thing." - Moe

6. Re: Realms of Arkania: Blade of Destiny Remake Woes Jul 31, 2013, 15:50 UttiniDaKilrJawa

5. Re: Realms of Arkania: Blade of Destiny Remake Woes Jul 31, 2013, 15:10 Wildone

pussys  

4. Re: Realms of Arkania: Blade of Destiny Remake Woes Jul 31, 2013, 14:41 Quinn

The game looked alright when I saw the first moments of the trailer. I thought they were going for a Lands of Lore kinda combat system. When I saw the actual combat, it turned me off immediately. No go for me.  

"Moo," she said.
And I trembled.

3. Re: Realms of Arkania: Blade of Destiny Remake Woes Jul 31, 2013, 14:40 eRe4s3r

2. Re: Realms of Arkania: Blade of Destiny Remake Woes Jul 31, 2013, 14:26 nin

as evidenced by the unhappy Steam Community posts

Believe me, you could make the most perfect game ever and still see the filth of the steam community.

Said it before: I pity any dev that steps foot in there.

http://store.nin.com/index.php?cPath=10

1. Re: Realms of Arkania: Blade of Destiny Remake Woes Jul 31, 2013, 14:22 Ludomancer

Game looked terrible to begin with. Sucks.  

18 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo