Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Ships Ahoy - Rise of the Triad

GOG.com announces that Rise of the Triad has risen, as they now offer digital distribution of Interceptor Entertainment's remake of Apogee's over-the-top old school shooter. The game is also available from the Apogee Software Online Store where the Apogee Throwback Pack is included for free, though you have to pay a premium for extended download privileges. The Steam version won't unlock for several hours, which also provides a last-minute opportunity to get the Apogee Throwback Pack for free as their preorder bonus. Here's word on the game:

Rise of the Triad brings back everything we loved about the first-person shooters of the 1990s. Swarms of enemies, no hand-holding, awesome guns, badass one-liners, a pretense story, and ridiculous amounts of virtual guts flying all over the place--all checked and accounted for. Apart from a diverse and challenging single-player campaign, that pays a tribute to the game's predecessor, the new Rise of the Triad offers many multi-player game modes (the game supports its own DRM-free server network). The game's fully moddable and a robust creative tool comes with every copy, so you can extend your experience indefinitely. All that, for a fraction of the price of most modern FPS games of comparable scale!

View
32 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

12. Re: Ships Ahoy - Rise of the Triad Jul 31, 2013, 11:45 HorrorScope

yuastnav wrote on Jul 31, 2013, 10:48:
Yeah, I wanna know whether it's worth getting.

Oh well, at this pace we'll have to wait for totalbiscuit's wtf is.

By 1PM you will have plenty of Steam Feedback.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

11. Re: Ships Ahoy - Rise of the Triad Jul 31, 2013, 11:13 Verno

I'll take a chance on it tonight I think.  

Playing: Gauntlet, Dark Souls 2, Wasteland 2
Watching: Intruders, 24 Live Another Day, The Signal

10. Re: Ships Ahoy - Rise of the Triad Jul 31, 2013, 10:48 yuastnav

Yeah, I wanna know whether it's worth getting.

Oh well, at this pace we'll have to wait for totalbiscuit's wtf is.

9. Re: Ships Ahoy - Rise of the Triad Jul 31, 2013, 10:16 nin

InBlack wrote on Jul 31, 2013, 10:08:
Fuck that shit, is the game any good?? (As in funny and fun)

Seriously! Where are all the gog shoppers when we need them?

http://store.nin.com/index.php?cPath=10

8. Re: Ships Ahoy - Rise of the Triad Jul 31, 2013, 10:15 Kristian Joensen

wtf_man wrote on Jul 31, 2013, 09:59:
Kristian Joensen wrote on Jul 31, 2013, 09:51:
Actually back in 2007 3D Realms licensed the Apogee name and logo to a new company called Apogee Entertainment LLC, due to that license they have set Apogee Software LLC up as a DBA/alias. They are the ones publishing this. In fact ROTT is an IP they outright bought on stead of just licensed. 3D Realms retains Apogee Software Ltd as its legal name despite all this, with 3D Realms as its DBA. This new company is run by among others Terry Nagy ex-3D Realms and Gathering of Developers employee. Sorry for the bad formatting of this post, I wrote it on my phone.

So, you are saying they already got their money from selling the Apogee name (yet keeping it somehow), and already selling the ROTT license to this new "Apogee"... and anyone purchasing ROTT won't be giving 3DRealms any new infusion of cash?
If 3DR gets any money from this it is either due to the license for the Apogee name/logo for due to remaining payments for acquiring the ROTT IP. Just like Remedy and 3D Realms got some $$$ from the first 1.2 Million sales of Max Payne 2 after selling that IP. But obviously the terms of the agreements between two private companies like the new Apogee and 3D Realms are unknown to the public. So of you REALLY want to make sure George Broussard doesn't see a dime from you, you probably shouldn't buy this.

7. Re: Ships Ahoy - Rise of the Triad Jul 31, 2013, 10:08 InBlack

wtf_man wrote on Jul 31, 2013, 09:59:
Actually back in 2007 3D Realms licensed the Apogee name and logo to a new company called Apogee Entertainment LLC, due to that license they have set Apogee Software LLC up as a DBA/alias. They are the ones publishing this. In fact ROTT is an IP they outright bought on stead of just licensed. 3D Realms retains Apogee Software Ltd as its legal name despite all this, with 3D Realms as its DBA. This new company is run by among others Terry Nagy ex-3D Realms and Gathering of Developers employee. Sorry for the bad formatting of this post, I wrote it on my phone.

So, you are saying they already got their money from selling the Apogee name (yet keeping it somehow), and already selling the ROTT license to this new "Apogee"... and anyone purchasing ROTT won't be giving 3DRealms any new infusion of cash?

Fuck that shit, is the game any good?? (As in funny and fun)

I have a nifty blue line!

6. Re: Ships Ahoy - Rise of the Triad Jul 31, 2013, 09:59 wtf_man

5. Re: Ships Ahoy - Rise of the Triad Jul 31, 2013, 09:58 SirKnight

Damn Steam and their 12pm pacific unlocking times.

I wanted to buy it on GoG, but I didn't find out that they were selling it too until after I bought it on Steam.

4. Re: Ships Ahoy - Rise of the Triad Jul 31, 2013, 09:55 InBlack

Hell Yeah, anyone try this yet???  

I have a nifty blue line!

3. Re: Ships Ahoy - Rise of the Triad Jul 31, 2013, 09:51 Kristian Joensen

wtf_man wrote on Jul 31, 2013, 09:33:
I really want to get this if it reviews out to be good (not buggy, etc.).

But at the same time, I wrestle with my conscience regarding lining Broussard's pockets with any of my cash. If Miller could somehow get rid of that fucktard I'd snap it up in a heartbeat.

Yes, I know they didn't develop it... but they're publishing it, and they'll get money.

2. Re: Ships Ahoy - Rise of the Triad Jul 31, 2013, 09:33 wtf_man

I really want to get this if it reviews out to be good (not buggy, etc.).

But at the same time, I wrestle with my conscience regarding lining Broussard's pockets with any of my cash. If Miller could somehow get rid of that fucktard I'd snap it up in a heartbeat.

Yes, I know they didn't develop it... but they're publishing it, and they'll get money.

1. Re: Ships Ahoy - Rise of the Triad Jul 31, 2013, 09:13 nin

Woot!

http://store.nin.com/index.php?cPath=10

32 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo