Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Ships Ahoy - Rise of the Triad

GOG.com announces that Rise of the Triad has risen, as they now offer digital distribution of Interceptor Entertainment's remake of Apogee's over-the-top old school shooter. The game is also available from the Apogee Software Online Store where the Apogee Throwback Pack is included for free, though you have to pay a premium for extended download privileges. The Steam version won't unlock for several hours, which also provides a last-minute opportunity to get the Apogee Throwback Pack for free as their preorder bonus. Here's word on the game:

Rise of the Triad brings back everything we loved about the first-person shooters of the 1990s. Swarms of enemies, no hand-holding, awesome guns, badass one-liners, a pretense story, and ridiculous amounts of virtual guts flying all over the place--all checked and accounted for. Apart from a diverse and challenging single-player campaign, that pays a tribute to the game's predecessor, the new Rise of the Triad offers many multi-player game modes (the game supports its own DRM-free server network). The game's fully moddable and a robust creative tool comes with every copy, so you can extend your experience indefinitely. All that, for a fraction of the price of most modern FPS games of comparable scale!

View
32 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

32. Re: Ships Ahoy - Rise of the Triad Aug 1, 2013, 11:18 Fletch

Framerate issues, checkpoint saves, and only one game can be saved at a time. If you start a new game with a different character, it overwrites your other save. That's some consolized bullshit right there. It's also easy to get stuck (happened to me three times on the first map), and you have to load the most recent checkpoint, or start over. I've heard that cycling weapons sometimes unsticks you, but I couldn't move no matter what I tried (crouching, jumping, rocket jump, cycling weapons...).

This comment was edited on Aug 1, 2013, 20:29.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

31. Re: Ships Ahoy - Rise of the Triad Aug 1, 2013, 02:09 Flo

I think it might still be OK as soon as they sort out the framerate issues. A game with that kind of movement speed must deliver smooth performance.  
Supporter of the "Chewbacca Defense"

30. Re: Ships Ahoy - Rise of the Triad Jul 31, 2013, 19:28 HorrorScope

Game looks like complete ass. Didn't like the original either, but that had to be better when comparing day and age technology. This still has that generic 2000 feel to it. Oy vey!

And yes that one video was an easy 10+. Dude must have come into possession of vintage LSD.

29. Re: Ships Ahoy - Rise of the Triad Jul 31, 2013, 18:50 Ray Marden

Eh...only get it if you are a big, big fan of RotT. I always thought of it as the red-headed step-child of the FPS genre and this game is a basic updating of the original game, but the first two levels do not come off as anything special.

A dude? With guns? Three random soldiers to shoot at? Jump discs? Coins and ankhs to collect? Fast movement speed? With secrets to find?

That's what you get - that's exactly what you get, that's all you get. It's like a port of the original to modern day systems without (m)any upgrades. On top of that, it has quite a few rough edges and hasn't pushed any boundaries, but it's also a $15 game.

As others have noted, the performance needs some tweaking. I am running it on "ludicrous" and it looks really basic. The performance feels fast, but really inconsistent, too.
The crude videos are indicative of the final game.
Expecting more, but having received the basics of RotT,
Ray

Everything is awesome!!!
http://shoutengine.com/GarnettonGames/
I love you, mom.

28. Re: Ships Ahoy - Rise of the Triad Jul 31, 2013, 18:38 Creston

siapnar wrote on Jul 31, 2013, 14:56:
SpectralMeat wrote on Jul 31, 2013, 12:50:
It is not TotalBiscuit but still a "let's play" video, should give you an idea what the game is like
http://youtu.be/n75GVP7G4Xk
These guys are fucking hilarious

The commentators are pretty funny. The game itself looks fucking TERRIBLE.

Creston

27. Re: Ships Ahoy - Rise of the Triad Jul 31, 2013, 17:24 wtf_man

Kristian Joensen wrote on Jul 31, 2013, 10:15:
So of you REALLY want to make sure George Broussard doesn't see a dime from you, you probably shouldn't buy this.

I didn't say I wouldn't buy it... I said I was wrestling with my conscience. That said, I'll probably wait for some GOG sale to minimize the impact. Right now, I have way too many games to play from the summer sales of Steam and GOG, anyway.

26. Re: Ships Ahoy - Rise of the Triad Jul 31, 2013, 15:58 JohnBirshire

I haven't been impressed with any of the 10+ multiplayer videos I've watched on youtube. The majority of kills seem to be from not even aiming at someone, just blinding firing in circles, into rooms, down hallways, etc with high area of effect weapons. Pass.  

25. Re: Ships Ahoy - Rise of the Triad Jul 31, 2013, 15:12 Kristian Joensen

Kristian Joensen wrote on Jul 31, 2013, 10:15:
wtf_man wrote on Jul 31, 2013, 09:59:
Kristian Joensen wrote on Jul 31, 2013, 09:51:
Actually back in 2007 3D Realms licensed the Apogee name and logo to a new company called Apogee Entertainment LLC, due to that license they have set Apogee Software LLC up as a DBA/alias. They are the ones publishing this. In fact ROTT is an IP they outright bought on stead of just licensed. 3D Realms retains Apogee Software Ltd as its legal name despite all this, with 3D Realms as its DBA. This new company is run by among others Terry Nagy ex-3D Realms and Gathering of Developers employee. Sorry for the bad formatting of this post, I wrote it on my phone.

So, you are saying they already got their money from selling the Apogee name (yet keeping it somehow), and already selling the ROTT license to this new "Apogee"... and anyone purchasing ROTT won't be giving 3DRealms any new infusion of cash?
If 3DR gets any money from this it is either due to the license for the Apogee name/logo for due to remaining payments for acquiring the ROTT IP. Just like Remedy and 3D Realms got some $$$ from the first 1.2 Million sales of Max Payne 2 after selling that IP. But obviously the terms of the agreements between two private companies like the new Apogee and 3D Realms are unknown to the public. So of you REALLY want to make sure George Broussard doesn't see a dime from you, you probably shouldn't buy this.

My source on that Max Payne thing is the APA between Remedy, 3DR and Take Two:

(c) Payment of the Purchase Price. The Purchasers shall pay the Sellers the purchase price for the Assets by delivering to the Sellers (i) at Closing, one or more certificates representing Nine Hundred and Sixty Nine Thousand Nine Hundred and Thirty Two Thousand (969,932) restricted shares (the "Shares") of common stock of Take-Two, par value $.01 per share; provided, however, that such Shares shall be subject to the Lock-Up Agreement , (ii) at Closing, Ten Million ($10,000,000) U.S. dollars paid by Maxcorp by wire transfer (the "Cash Component") to accounts designated by the Sellers and (iii) up to Eight Million ($8,000,000) U.S. dollars in cash or immediately available funds in four equal installments of Two Million ($2,000,000) U.S. dollars pursuant to Section 2(d) below (the "Incentive Payments", and together with the payments under subparagraphs (i) and (ii) above, the "Purchase Price"). The Purchase Price includes all amounts due and payable to third parties and the Sellers (including all advances due and payable by Purchasers to Remedy pursuant to the Development Agreement and Take-Two Liabilities) in connection with the purchase of all of the Assets and, other than the payment of the Purchase Price, no additional payments shall be made by the Purchasers to the Sellers or any third party. The Purchasers shall deliver directly to each of Remedy and Apogee (x) a certificate representing 50% of the Shares (each of Remedy and Apogee shall receive a certificate for 484,966 Shares) and (y) cash representing 50% of the Cash Component ($5,000,000 to each of Remedy and Apogee). Similarly, all Incentive Payments shall be split 50/50 and delivered and paid directly to each of Remedy and Apogee accordingly.

(d) Incentive Payments.

(i) The Incentive Payments shall be due and payable and shall be paid by the Purchasers (allocated between them in proportion to the percentages set forth in Section 2(h)) to the Sellers as follows:

(A) $2,000,000 U.S. dollars on the Gold Master Acceptance Date (as defined in the Development Agreement) (such payment being referred to as the "Gold Master Date Payment"), but, except as provided below, in no event later than October 1, 2003 and

(B) (1) $2,000,000 U.S. dollars ("First Incentive Payment") on the date when the Purchasers, in good faith, have determined that 400,000 units, in the aggregate, of Max Payne 2 have been Sold (as defined below), (2) $2,000,000 U.S. dollars on the date upon which Purchasers, in good faith, have determined that 800,000 units, in the aggregate, of Max Payne 2 have been Sold, and (3) $2,000,000 U.S. dollars on the date upon which the Purchasers, in good faith, have determined that 1,200,000 units (each of the sale of 400,000 units, 800,000 units and 1,200,000 units, each a "Threshold Unit Amount"), in the aggregate, of Max Payne 2 have been Sold;

24. Re: Ships Ahoy - Rise of the Triad Jul 31, 2013, 15:03 killer_roach

mag wrote on Jul 31, 2013, 13:32:
CJ_Parker wrote on Jul 31, 2013, 12:55:
Overrated. The original RoT only got some attention because of its excessive violence and brutality. Other than this shock & awe factor the game didn't really stand out in any way. It was a fairly average/mediocre corridor shooter in terms of game-/gunplay, level design, "story" (LOL), graphics and sound.

It was a pioneer in terms of multiplayer. 11 player deathmatch, TONS of different multiplayer modes, bizarre and amusing weapons.

Yeah, I was about to say - the original RotT had more unique weapons to it than about 90% the FPS genre put together (and that's not even including some of the pickup items like Dog Mode, Shrooms Mode Powerdown, and the like).

23. Re: Ships Ahoy - Rise of the Triad Jul 31, 2013, 14:56 siapnar

SpectralMeat wrote on Jul 31, 2013, 12:50:
It is not TotalBiscuit but still a "let's play" video, should give you an idea what the game is like
These guys are fucking hilarious

I have projectile dysfunction.

22. Re: Ships Ahoy - Rise of the Triad Jul 31, 2013, 13:35 ItBurn

I don't know, the Giant bomb quick look looked much better than you guys make it out to be.  

21. Re: Ships Ahoy - Rise of the Triad Jul 31, 2013, 13:32 mag

CJ_Parker wrote on Jul 31, 2013, 12:55:
Overrated. The original RoT only got some attention because of its excessive violence and brutality. Other than this shock & awe factor the game didn't really stand out in any way. It was a fairly average/mediocre corridor shooter in terms of game-/gunplay, level design, "story" (LOL), graphics and sound.

It was a pioneer in terms of multiplayer. 11 player deathmatch, TONS of different multiplayer modes, bizarre and amusing weapons.

20. Re: Ships Ahoy - Rise of the Triad Jul 31, 2013, 13:16 Flo

Thing is , you can tell that the framerate issues are due to sloppy optimization since they are random and for no obvious reasons. FYI, I got a i7 cpu, 8 gb ram and a geforce gt 555m (alienware m14x laptop).
Video settings dont really matter - low or high, it's the same shit.

19. Re: Ships Ahoy - Rise of the Triad Jul 31, 2013, 13:13 Mad Max RW

Sounds about as terrible as I thought it would be.  

18. Re: Ships Ahoy - Rise of the Triad Jul 31, 2013, 13:08 Flo

Just bought it and I'm pretty disappointed. They have like one enemy solider model (with horrible animation) and the framerate is extremely bad for an UE3 game. Not happy.  

17. Re: Ships Ahoy - Rise of the Triad Jul 31, 2013, 12:55 CJ_Parker

16. Re: Ships Ahoy - Rise of the Triad Jul 31, 2013, 12:53 mag

NewMaxx wrote on Jul 31, 2013, 12:07:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wtGBwnn1paA

10/10 A+++++ would watch again

15. Re: Ships Ahoy - Rise of the Triad Jul 31, 2013, 12:50 SpectralMeat

Steam: SpectralMeat

14. Re: Ships Ahoy - Rise of the Triad Jul 31, 2013, 12:44 mazling

NewMaxx wrote on Jul 31, 2013, 12:07:

wat.

13. Re: Ships Ahoy - Rise of the Triad Jul 31, 2013, 12:07 NewMaxx

32 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.