Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

BioShock Infinite DLC Today & Rapture DLC Planned

The BioShock Infinite website announces Clash in the Clouds, a DLC pack for BioShock Infinite that will start rolling out today, though they say it may take a few days to reach all platforms and regions. This trailer shows off the pack, and here's the description: "This first add-on pack puts an intense focus on BioShock Infinite combat. Combine weapons, Vigors, Gear, Tears, and Sky-Lines in ways you never thought possible as you square off against impossible odds. This pack features 60 challenges in four brand-new environments. Complete Blue Ribbon Challenges and unlock concept art, Voxophones, Kinetoscopes, and more in The Columbian Archeological Society. Climb the Leaderboards and earn new Achievements and Trophies." In a separate announcement, Irrational Games also reveals BioShock Infinite: Burial at Sea - Episode 1, a DLC featuring Booker and (post-jailbait) Elizabeth adventuring around Rapture, the underwater setting of the original BioShock. This is shown off in this trailer, and word is: "this DLC features Rapture as you’ve never seen it before—a shining jewel at the bottom of the ocean, built almost entirely from scratch in the BioShock Infinite engine. Gameplay has been modified to give the player an original BioShock combat experience that merges the best parts of BioShock and BioShock Infinite: new weapons, new Plasmids/Vigors, Tears, Sky-Lines, and Big Daddies." There's an interview on Eurogamer.net where Ken Levine fills in more details, saying the Burial at Sea DLC takes place in 1958, and that the second part will include the ability to play as Elizabeth. This announcement has the release details:

BioShock Infinite: Clash in the Clouds is available starting today for £3.69 (400 Microsoft Points on Xbox Live® for Xbox 360) via online marketplaces on all available platforms, and is included in the BioShock Infinite Season Pass*.

Also in development at Irrational Games, BioShock Infinite: Burial at Sea* is a two-part add-on campaign featuring an all-new story for Booker and Elizabeth, set in the underwater city of Rapture before its fall. These two campaigns will be available individually for £9.99 (1200 Microsoft Points), and are also included as part of the BioShock Infinite Season Pass.

View
47 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

47. Re: BioShock Infinite DLC Today & Rapture DLC Planned Aug 1, 2013, 18:58 Flatline

Wesp5 wrote on Jul 31, 2013, 09:46:
So just reading all the explanations here again convinces me that the ending is stupid and illogical and tacked on :). Just watch yourself trying to explain it away using reasons like: "So years go by and you carve Anna's name onto your hand as a reminder, then promptly forget. Robert Lutece has second thoughts about all this multiverse shit, and makes his sister do something about it." Oh, and what about all these towers and all the other pairs visible watching out of them? From that moment on the mechanics of the world change which is why I feel it is tacked on!

Thanks for using fucking spoilers asshat.

Also, I was wrong.

Booker is pulled from his universe into the one where Comstock takes Anna, and as we see when you move through tears, your nose bleeds and your memories change. So when Booker is taken to the lighthouse in the beginning, his nose bleeds and his memory changes, and in that change he more or less forgets about his daughter, because in this universe he never had one.

Also, Robert Lutece and his sister are "killed" by Comstock, but actually put into... well... a netherworld. And he resents it.

As for the towers, you really don't get it. The idea of parallel universes is that each time you have a decision to make, in some universe, the other option is taken. So it looks like a massive branching tree if you were to map it out. The other towers and other pairs of Booker & Elizabeth are all the other decisions you *could* have made but didn't. Note that some of the towers didn't have Booker & Elizabeth- they died in that universe, or didn't make it to the end. Figure each tower as another universe. Elizabeth has tied all the universes into a single nexus point, which is how she's able to end all the Comstock universes.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

46. Re: BioShock Infinite DLC Today & Rapture DLC Planned Aug 1, 2013, 05:56 Quinn

Jerykk wrote on Aug 1, 2013, 05:28:
Actually if you understand Quantum Mechanics and parallel universes, the ending makes perfect sense.

I'm pretty sure he was referring to the ending of the first Bioshock, not Infinite.

No he wasn't. You're "leaving Rapture" also in Infinite. Also, check his later reply so that your level of certainty may be swayed.

"Moo," she said.
And I trembled.

45. Re: BioShock Infinite DLC Today & Rapture DLC Planned Aug 1, 2013, 05:28 Jerykk

Actually if you understand Quantum Mechanics and parallel universes, the ending makes perfect sense.

I'm pretty sure he was referring to the ending of the first Bioshock, not Infinite.

44. Re: BioShock Infinite DLC Today & Rapture DLC Planned Jul 31, 2013, 10:46 Verno

Drayth wrote on Jul 31, 2013, 09:50:
Everything is explained as you go through the game. If you wanted a less *complicated* plot, fine. But the game itself is not suffering from major plot holes, so I have no problem with it.

Agreed, there is more than adequate plot exposition as the game goes on. Some of it you need to seek out in the environment but if you're rushing through a Bioshock game to completion then you're doing it wrong. The ending did not feel tacked on at all, if anything most people should probably have figured out the broad strokes at or before the halfway point.

Playing: Infamous Second Son
Watching: Midsomer Murders, Dominion, The Knick

43. Re: BioShock Infinite DLC Today & Rapture DLC Planned Jul 31, 2013, 09:50 Drayth

Everything is explained as you go through the game. If you wanted a less *complicated* plot, fine. But the game itself is not suffering from major plot holes, so I have no problem with it.  

42. Re: BioShock Infinite DLC Today & Rapture DLC Planned Jul 31, 2013, 09:46 Wesp5

So just reading all the explanations here again convinces me that the ending is stupid and illogical and tacked on :). Just watch yourself trying to explain it away using reasons like: "So years go by and you carve Anna's name onto your hand as a reminder, then promptly forget. Robert Lutece has second thoughts about all this multiverse shit, and makes his sister do something about it." Oh, and what about all these towers and all the other pairs visible watching out of them? From that moment on the mechanics of the world change which is why I feel it is tacked on!  

41. Re: BioShock Infinite DLC Today & Rapture DLC Planned Jul 31, 2013, 09:41 Dev

nin wrote on Jul 31, 2013, 09:09:
And I'll add this part for everyone to read, you need to watch till after the end credits finish. There's a little bit more to the game that you missed if not..

Yeah, that's kind of a critical part...

Thanks. Also thanks for using spoiler tags everyone. I haven't finished it yet

40. Re: BioShock Infinite DLC Today & Rapture DLC Planned Jul 31, 2013, 09:09 nin

And I'll add this part for everyone to read, you need to watch till after the end credits finish. There's a little bit more to the game that you missed if not..

Yeah, that's kind of a critical part...

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

39. Re: BioShock Infinite DLC Today & Rapture DLC Planned Jul 31, 2013, 09:05 Drayth

*cough*: My interpretation is only the realities where Booker didn't walk away from the baptism were closed. As in, that return to the river scene is taking place moments after the baptism (otherwise all the people standing around would still be there.. unless Booker had arrived way earlier, but then the time of day would be different). Anna was born in the reality where he walked away from the baptism.

And I'll add this part for everyone to read; you need to watch till after the end credits finish. There's a little bit more to the game that you missed if not.

Quinn wrote on Jul 31, 2013, 08:27:
Flatline, thanks for refreshing my memory in the process!

I agree with you fully except for something: ...Correct me in more elaborate fashion if I'm wrong but... doesn't the end imply that by killing himself at the moment of baptism... Anna is never born, which is why all her versions disappear?...

At least that's how I experienced the ending: ...The story / The game never came to pass due to a suicide at a key moment....

This comment was edited on Jul 31, 2013, 09:11.

38. Re: BioShock Infinite DLC Today & Rapture DLC Planned Jul 31, 2013, 08:44 nin

Wesp5 wrote on Jul 31, 2013, 03:50:
The Rapture expansion sounds to me like it is the ending the game actually deserved, instead of the stupid, illogical and tacked on feeling ending it got in the original game after leaving Rapture...

Thankfully someone else has already explained it...I certainly didn't find it stupid, illogical, or tacked on...

37. Re: BioShock Infinite DLC Today & Rapture DLC Planned Jul 31, 2013, 08:27 Quinn

Flatline, thanks for refreshing my memory in the process!

I agree with you fully except for something: ...Correct me in more elaborate fashion if I'm wrong but... doesn't the end imply that by killing himself at the moment of baptism... Anna is never born, which is why all her versions disappear?...

At least that's how I experienced the ending: ...The story / The game never came to pass due to a suicide at a key moment....

"Moo," she said.
And I trembled.

36. Re: BioShock Infinite DLC Today & Rapture DLC Planned Jul 31, 2013, 06:53 Drayth

Yes, the ending to Infinite is actually very strong, not "tacked on". Thankfully Flatline went through the details so I don't have to :p But, most plots like this would leave at least some things ambiguous (aka: Inception). Everything more or less falls into place with Infinite.

Pretty much the only thing left untied is how the hell did Batman survive the blast??

35. Re: BioShock Infinite DLC Today & Rapture DLC Planned Jul 31, 2013, 06:29 Flatline

Wesp5 wrote on Jul 31, 2013, 03:50:
The Rapture expansion sounds to me like it is the ending the game actually deserved, instead of the stupid, illogical and tacked on feeling ending it got in the original game after leaving Rapture...

Actually if you understand Quantum Mechanics and parallel universes, the ending makes perfect sense. The only thing arbitrary is the "there's always a city and a man" part and the question of if Elizabeths' tears are pre-existing universes or if they're "sort of a wish fulfillment" like she points out.

Note when she says that the uprising is "just like Les Miserable" it's romantic, billowing, uplifting, and optimistic. But as Booker wears on her optimism, each tear shift gets bleaker and bleaker, as her outlook on humanity becomes bleaker.

My Analysis of the ending in a nutshell:

As for the ending, it's decently straightforward. In a world of parallel universes, there are situations where you, Booker, get baptized to was away your sins. In doing so, you become Comstock. Comstock meets Lutece in some of these instances, who looks into Quantum Mechanics and finds her "twin", or her counterpart in another parallel universe, who in that universe is actually a man. Using the ability to look into other times and universes opens windows up to Rapture, which is where Tonics come from (as mentioned in one of the voxophones), as well as the other anachronisms. However, repeated use of this technology prematurely ages Comstock and renders him sterile, and he wants to have progeny. Specifically, his progeny.

So the Lutece "twins" find an alternate reality where Comstock did *not* accept baptism and wallowed in his guilt, drinking and running up gambling debts. Lutece twins offer to buy Booker's daughter off of him ("Give us the girl, and wipe away the debt"), which he agrees to do. He has a change of heart, and goes after her. Her pinky is sheared off in the process, and according to Voxophone records, the girl, now renamed Elizabeth, is able to open tears because she exists in multiple universes at once.

So years go by and you carve Anna's name onto your hand as a reminder, then promptly forget. Robert Lutece has second thoughts about all this multiverse shit, and makes his sister do something about it. So they go to childless Booker and tell him that if he gets the girl back, he erases his debt. This all combines into a delusion Booker is sort of under and the game starts.

At the end of the game, Elizabeth's power is unlocked. Booker wants to kill Comstock, so you go back to the baptism. By being drown, you see the different incarnations of Elizabeth fade away and cease to exist, as you end every possible timeline where Comstock exists and can go buy Anna from Booker. This forces the quantum state of all the parallel realities to collapse (You open the box on Schroedinger's Cat and it's no longer both alive and dead, it's one or the other)- there can be no more Comstock to set the multiverse hopping plot in motion. Therefore, only Booker can exist, and by default Booker can't get baptized so he can't be killed. Any quantum state that results in Comstock includes at this point at least one scenario where Booker goes back in time to prevent Comstock from existing (by drowning himself). There's at least one self-closing loop that prevents the Comstock state of reality from existing at all. Therefore, the only reality possibilities left require Booker to not take baptism and the Point Of View Booker keeps Anna (there may be other Bookers that don't have kids, or come to terms with their guilt, or kill themselves, or whatever, the important part is that *your* point of view Booker keeps Anna, and there is no reality that can support Comstock, because that loop was closed), which is why she's crying in the last scene of the game.

Side sad note: Without some way of breaking the loop, Elizabeth, at least her personality, ceases to exist. This is suggested as she disappears. What is left is the woman Anna will become, which will be fundamentally different than Elizabeth. How this is addressed in the DLC I don't know. I dunno even *if* it'll be addressed.

34. Re: BioShock Infinite DLC Today & Rapture DLC Planned Jul 31, 2013, 03:50 Wesp5

33. Re: BioShock Infinite DLC Today & Rapture DLC Planned Jul 30, 2013, 21:52 HorrorScope

nin wrote on Jul 30, 2013, 20:15:
Keep in mind Bethesda's first DLC for Dishonored was time trials and $4 for previously exclusive preorder items...

My bad, I associate their first party titles. Fallout and ES's.

32. Re: BioShock Infinite DLC Today & Rapture DLC Planned Jul 30, 2013, 20:15 nin

HorrorScope wrote on Jul 30, 2013, 20:06:
Raven wrote on Jul 30, 2013, 11:00:
hat makes all the bitching about the Borderland's 2 Season Pass, with 4 different stories (some better than others) seem kind of silly.

I agree, Borderlands and Bethesda are some of the very few that even offer worthwhile DLC to new adventure level.

Keep in mind Bethesda's first DLC for Dishonored was time trials and $4 for previously exclusive preorder items...

31. Re: BioShock Infinite DLC Today & Rapture DLC Planned Jul 30, 2013, 20:06 HorrorScope

Raven wrote on Jul 30, 2013, 11:00:
hat makes all the bitching about the Borderland's 2 Season Pass, with 4 different stories (some better than others) seem kind of silly.

I agree, Borderlands and Bethesda are some of the very few that even offer worthwhile DLC to new adventure level.

30. Re: BioShock Infinite DLC Today & Rapture DLC Planned Jul 30, 2013, 19:36 deqer

$3.69 (400 Microsoft points)

Really? 1 Microsoft point is the value of 1 cent? lol. seems worthless. I wonder what the mechanics/system is like for acquiring points in the world of Xbox gaming. Actually, I don't care. I think all these cheesy point-based currency gimicks are foolish and I feel sorry for fools that take them seriously.

29. Re: BioShock Infinite DLC Today & Rapture DLC Planned Jul 30, 2013, 19:36 Darks

Drayth wrote on Jul 30, 2013, 14:39:
Seems awesome, imo.

Same here, I really enjoyed it, Elizabeth was a character you actually cared about and the story wasn't that bad either. I have no idea why some are saying the combat was a let down. That's like saying guns are not fun to shoot. confused!!!

Anyway, Looking forward to the Rapture DLC, sound fun.

Creator of the Neverwnter Nights Eye of the Beholder Series of Mods.

http://nwvault.ign.com/View.php?view=Modules.Detail&id=6375

28. Re: BioShock Infinite DLC Today & Rapture DLC Planned Jul 30, 2013, 18:32 Asmo

Since the combat was one of the major let downs of Infinite (it didn't take long to find the combat sections ground along, while the story bits were the parts that engrossed me and coaxed me on), the arena actually seems pointless... =\  

47 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo