Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Morning Tech Bits

View
4 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

4. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jul 30, 2013, 22:04 dj LiTh

jdreyer wrote on Jul 30, 2013, 13:30:
dj LiTh wrote on Jul 30, 2013, 11:13:
NVIDIA's Linux Driver On Ubuntu Is Very Competitive With Windows 8.

By competitive, he means not at all by his performance graphs...like not even close (sometimes 90% difference) unless your sporting 9800gtx, then ya, pretty competitive.

I think you're looking at the wrong bar? The blue bar is W8, the teal bar is the new Linux NVidia driver. On most of the charts, blue and teal are pretty close, sometimes Linux is faster even. Ignore the red one.

Drivers have always been a sore spot in Linux, so this is an important piece to the puzzle. The only reason I have W7 is for gaming, and if the drivers are good, more devs will release Linux versions. And that means at some point I can ditch my Windows machine.

Ahh, your right. My mistake, was looking at the red bar and haphazardly going through the pages thinking wtf? Makes sense now. I dont think i'll ever ditch windows just for the vast gaming library that wont ever get ported over effectively

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

3. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jul 30, 2013, 17:45 NKD

jdreyer wrote on Jul 30, 2013, 13:30:
And that means at some point I can ditch my Windows machine.

Not to crush your dreams or anything, but I'm pretty sure we can find posts from right here on Blue's circa 1997 that say the same thing.

If you don't like where gaming is heading, stop giving your money to the people who are taking it in that direction.

2. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jul 30, 2013, 13:30 jdreyer

dj LiTh wrote on Jul 30, 2013, 11:13:

By competitive, he means not at all by his performance graphs...like not even close (sometimes 90% difference) unless your sporting 9800gtx, then ya, pretty competitive.

I think you're looking at the wrong bar? The blue bar is W8, the teal bar is the new Linux NVidia driver. On most of the charts, blue and teal are pretty close, sometimes Linux is faster even. Ignore the red one.

Drivers have always been a sore spot in Linux, so this is an important piece to the puzzle. The only reason I have W7 is for gaming, and if the drivers are good, more devs will release Linux versions. And that means at some point I can ditch my Windows machine.

"Microsoft is the absent minded parent of PC gaming" - Verno

1. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jul 30, 2013, 11:13 dj LiTh

4 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo