Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Morning Metaverse

View
20 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

20. Re: Morning Metaverse Jul 29, 2013, 19:25 Beamer

Not sure how this surprises so many of you.
40 years ago a 20 year old could get a job with responsibility.
Today he has to be in college to have much of a hope of that. And, even then, he's likely to graduate with too much debt and not enough income to move out of his parents' house. And he is probably unemployed or underemployed.

We have a record number of 30 year olds living with their parents, not because they're emotionally stunted (which they almost definitely are by now) but because they were never able to find employment to let them add additional debt on top of the debt they already had.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

19. Re: Morning Metaverse Jul 29, 2013, 19:25 Sepharo

Good opportunity for one of the hardest hitting memes.

http://www.quickmeme.com/Old-Economy-Steven/

18. Re: Morning Metaverse Jul 29, 2013, 19:22 HorrorScope

Cutter wrote on Jul 29, 2013, 15:36:
It's true, actually 26 is the new 18 according to psychologists. Society has been mollycoddling and overprotecting kids far too much

First that is BS, I'd say at most 22 if there is a curve at all. 26 today vs 18 yesteryear, sounds like uphill both ways BS, we were stronger back then... blah blah. Oh how we look at how awesome we once were with paul bunyon like memories.

Overprotecting kids from what? I'm taking care of them, trying to get them on the right path. If that is over-protecting we'll shit then I over protect. To me is seems exactly what I should be doing. But hey I was the one partying in the 80's blowing a paycheck chasing skirt. To my older son... who keeps his bank account window open all the time, counting and saving money.

My 21 has recently moved out with GF, full time/part time work, part time/full time school. He stayed home until 21 1/2. He was a functional adult at 18 schooling and working, prior to that he loved gaming a lot online and not much else, he did have the smarts to kick it into gear in the 10th grade in HS and finish out strong. But I always told him, if you want to do that in the future, you first need to pay for your living. I said, I do what I do, but I first get the bills paid etc and then do what I like, make no mistake about that.

So he's been great, next to never misses work etc. He's on his way. But someone outside the family 4-6-8 years ago would have just thought my kids were weak, pampered and lazy. I don't own a farm to break their backs on (and those aren't what they used to be, the hottest of hotties are now farmers daughters with the farmers millions and he has illegals do all the work)... I'm not just going to invent grunt work for them. Hell I'm trying to get them smart enough so they don't have to break their backs for a living. Wouldn't a caring parent work it that way? Easy street vs Mean street, no?

My 16 year old has matured a lot the past two years. Still doesn't break his back hardly ever, but then being a graphic artist that isn't really a requirement now is it?

I have a grandfather to them, he still does contractor work. He always tries to get the boys to do more old-school work. I have to remind him often that the world has changed a lot, there are legions of spreadsheet gazers (or the like), these people are making real money to. And just because you have some old idea that it ain't work unless you are beat, doesn't make that a reality in today's job market. Some people just think you have to bust ass to make an honest pay-check. Hello 1950?

Then one might say... but look at their work ethic. I say.... look at those owners paying minimum, part time to save on beni's etc. Why should they give it all when they are being exploited. I never had to put up with that shit.

17. Re: Morning Metaverse Jul 29, 2013, 18:59 HorrorScope

PropheT wrote on Jul 29, 2013, 14:25:
I think the difference is that when we were 24, we had an idea of who we were already, or at least who we were going to become, and the freedom to follow that earlier.

Part of it is individualism and their drive to be independent and avoid this but as a general observation of people hitting their 20's right now, they aren't as ready for it because they're treated like kids right up until they leave the house...and more and more often that's not until several years after they turn 18. Kids are getting their driver's licenses later, moving out later, having society put rules on them that differentiates them between adulthood and being kids later.

Part of that is because society blames parents for things 16 and 17 year olds are doing under the insane assumption that they haven't developed their own will by then, but the other side of that is that so many parents seem pretty willing to follow along with the idea. It's less about varying degrees of stupidity and more about varying degrees of responsibility and accountability, and younger people seem to have less of that now than even ten or twenty years ago.

My dad says parents worry and do a lot more for kids today then they did back then. Back then you had them and let it roll, now there are a lot of social pressures on being "normal".

The car part is funny, I was getting licenses the day I could, both my boys didn't care. One 16 still doesn't have one, not in a hurry. Now one could say because he's being babied more. But then lets see... I wanted one not for work but to get to the next party. So I think my son is better off not wanting wheels. Now the bad car story is my 21 year old 2 years ago (19) got into an accident on the way to school, mid-late morning, dude had no problem getting into my boys grill at the time. Then the dude waited until the last month he could to drop a lawsuit on us (took me a minute to understand what I was hearing, thought the deal was long taken care of). Now he wants 850k, litigation still pending. So I'm in no hurry for them to have wheels, it is expensive even without a wreck.

Here is what a lot of teens get to look forward to... A part time minimum wage job with no beni's. Hell two weeks out of HS I got a Full Time job above min and with beni's. Yeah we've sure improved life for them... OR go to school and ring up a 100K education so they can pay on two houses, the house and the school loan. Adults these days.

16. Re: Morning Metaverse Jul 29, 2013, 18:25 jdreyer

1 in 4 Young Adults Regret Social Media Posts.

Not only, but especially the dude who ended up in prison.

"Microsoft is the absent minded parent of PC gaming" - Verno

15. Re: Morning Metaverse Jul 29, 2013, 16:17 KS

Creston wrote on Jul 29, 2013, 10:38:
InBlack wrote on Jul 29, 2013, 09:44:
1 in 4 Young Adults Regret Social Media Posts Not Thinking Before Opening Their Mouth. (Or in this case before typing)

Also, anyone else notice that the 20-somethings are the new teens? As in all the angst, poor judgement, bad hormones, attitudes and personality problems have seemingly been extended by about 10+ years....

I blame Facebook...

That's not really anything new. It's really been that way since the early to mid 90s.

Creston

Yes, literally the 90s, not 1990s. Or 1990s BC.

14. Re: Morning Metaverse Jul 29, 2013, 15:36 Cutter

1 in 4 Young Adults Regret Social Media Posts Not Thinking Before Opening Their Mouth. (Or in this case before typing)

Also, anyone else notice that the 20-somethings are the new teens? As in all the angst, poor judgement, bad hormones, attitudes and personality problems have seemingly been extended by about 10+ years....

I blame Facebook...

It's true, actually 26 is the new 18 according to psychologists. Society has been mollycoddling and overprotecting kids far too much and it's resulted in a shift that they're coming of age much later - 26 on average now - couple that with the global economy, roll back of civil and human liberties, good prospects for the future, losing wages against inflation, etc. etc. and it's also not entirely their fault either. However, the sense of entitlement to a better life - as the baby boomers had - is the main sticking point. The baby boomers got lucky, plain and simple, way past time to move on. Either get political and do something about it or suck it up and deal with what you get.

"Bye weeks? Bronko Nagurski didn't get no bye weeks, and now he's dead… Well, maybe they're a good thing." - Moe

13. removed Jul 29, 2013, 15:35 RollinThundr

* REMOVED *
This comment was deleted on Jul 29, 2013, 16:15.

12. Re: Morning Metaverse Jul 29, 2013, 14:25 PropheT

HorrorScope wrote on Jul 29, 2013, 12:25:
nin wrote on Jul 29, 2013, 10:00:

I blame Facebook...

I blame shitty parenting...

That is the last thing I blame.

What I found out is everyone is their own person.

I think the difference is that when we were 24, we had an idea of who we were already, or at least who we were going to become, and the freedom to follow that earlier.

Part of it is individualism and their drive to be independent and avoid this but as a general observation of people hitting their 20's right now, they aren't as ready for it because they're treated like kids right up until they leave the house...and more and more often that's not until several years after they turn 18. Kids are getting their driver's licenses later, moving out later, having society put rules on them that differentiates them between adulthood and being kids later.

Part of that is because society blames parents for things 16 and 17 year olds are doing under the insane assumption that they haven't developed their own will by then, but the other side of that is that so many parents seem pretty willing to follow along with the idea. It's less about varying degrees of stupidity and more about varying degrees of responsibility and accountability, and younger people seem to have less of that now than even ten or twenty years ago.

11. Why YouTube buffers: The secret deals that make—and break—online video. Jul 29, 2013, 14:15 LittleMe

Great article.

What threat do we have? We're going to make service bad for our customers? We're not going to do that. Some of the other cable companies are willing to do that, but we're not going to. Being the little guy, that's the competitive position, and that's the differentiation."

Yes, competition is a fundamental ingredient to net neutrality. Isn't it clear enough now that the Duopoly is damaging a free and open Internet? In my mind it's not really about network neutrality, the real cause is the monopolistic ISP's abusing their public trust position and getting away with it. I say public trust because their power is delivered by local government 'exclusivity' arrangements. In my mind the Internet is about openness and freedom. Government granted monopolies are not.

Perpetual debt is slavery.

10. Re: Morning Metaverse Jul 29, 2013, 13:16 jdreyer

I blame Facebook...

I'm reminded of Interview with a Vampire, where the Brad Pitt character says,

I was twenty-four --
younger than you are now.
But times were different then. I
was a man at that age.
The master
of a large plantation just South
of New Orleans...

Hollywood was zinging 20-somethings 20 years ago.

"Microsoft is the absent minded parent of PC gaming" - Verno

9. Re: Morning Metaverse Jul 29, 2013, 12:25 HorrorScope

nin wrote on Jul 29, 2013, 10:00:

I blame Facebook...

That is the last thing I blame.

What I found out is everyone is their own person. It's not like I had two children that when they wake up they treat me as God. Thanking me over and over for giving them life and will do what I ask of them without any lip, because without me they don't exist, right? All hail Mom and Dad!

Nope, they wake up with their own personalities, their own agenda's, they don't care who gave them life, they are here now and it's their life. In fact they may even blame us sometimes for giving them life.

So I guide them, they stumble over that, I show patience and understanding and guess what they every so often put something stupid on Facebook still. Oh wells, I go over the situation and move on. The varying degree of stupidity is up to the individual no one else.

I'm not beating them into submission for the man... otherwise I wouldn't have had'em.

8. Re: Morning Metaverse Jul 29, 2013, 11:20 Sepharo

I don't get why people say stupid/incriminating/offensive things in general let alone on facebook.

"It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt."

"En boca cerrada no entran moscas."

7. Re: Morning Metaverse Jul 29, 2013, 10:45 HorrorScope

I blame Facebook...

No, it is just that they put their stuff in public view and 1 in 4? More like 3 in 4.

6. Re: Morning Metaverse Jul 29, 2013, 10:38 Creston

I blame Facebook...

That's not really anything new. It's really been that way since the early to mid 90s.

Creston

5. Re: Morning Metaverse Jul 29, 2013, 10:00 nin

I blame Facebook...

http://store.nin.com/index.php?cPath=10

4. Re: Morning Metaverse Jul 29, 2013, 09:55 SS

All I can say for me is: Facebook + alcohol = bad  

3. Re: Morning Metaverse Jul 29, 2013, 09:44 InBlack

I blame Facebook...

I have a nifty blue line!

2. Re: Morning Metaverse Jul 29, 2013, 09:27 avianflu

That 'You Tube' article explains a lot regarding the continuing tacit war between ISPs. Well-written article  

1. Re: Morning Metaverse Jul 29, 2013, 09:16 nin

Dentist who used copyright to silence her patients is on the run.

Was reading about this on /. ...what a stooge...

http://store.nin.com/index.php?cPath=10

20 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo