Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Fez II Cancelled

The Polytron Corporation has a message from Phil Fish saying "you win" and that platformer sequel Fez II is cancelled (thanks Verno). A post on The Escapist (thanks Bruno) explains that this follows a Twitter dustup where Fish suggested a critic "Compare your life to mine and then kill yourself," though they report Fish later clarified: "To be clear, I'm not cancelling Fez II because some boorish fuck said something stupid, I'm doing it to get out of games. And I'm getting out of games because I choose not to put up with this abuse anymore" This all must be taken on faith now, as his twitter account is now "protected" (perhaps from his own self-inflicted wounds). Here's the very brief update from Polytron implying it's our own fault we can't have nice things:

FEZ II is cancelled.
i am done.
i take the money and i run.
this is as much as i can stomach.
this is isnít the result of any one thing, but the end of a long, bloody campaign.
you win.

View
84 Replies. 5 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 ] Older >

84. Re: Fez II Cancelled Jul 31, 2013, 10:34 mch

His Twitter account is back, as of this morning.  
PSN: CaseDesignate
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

83. Re: Fez II Cancelled Jul 30, 2013, 03:45 PixelScuba

Go Twins!  

82. Re: Fez II Cancelled Jul 29, 2013, 22:41 Sepharo

Hey you can throw Miggy-the-league-best out in the 1st and we'll still win 12-8! SO fuck you die in a fire blargh!

81. Re: Fez II Cancelled Jul 29, 2013, 22:08 PixelScuba

Absolutely. Criticism does not require you to be a content creator, I was just pointing out that Ebert is a poor example. "Sexploitation" film or not, it's more involvement with the medium than many critics have.

Fortunate for Creston becase, man, does he LOVE to criticize!

Edit: Wait, Detroit Gamers!? Fuck your Detroit Tigers!

80. Re: Fez II Cancelled Jul 29, 2013, 17:12 Kosumo

I hope Mr Fish is off to open his own vineyard cos it sure sounds like know a lot about wineing!

Also sound like he has plenty of sour grapes as well!

79. Re: Fez II Cancelled Jul 29, 2013, 16:32 Sepharo

PixelScuba wrote on Jul 29, 2013, 16:15:
Sepharo wrote on Jul 29, 2013, 14:52:
Remember all those films Roger Ebert directed?

Roger Ebert was an accomplished script writer (Beyond the Valley of the Dolls) and spent years in college studying filmography and cinematography. Ebert is a poor analogy in this case because he spent years studying and dissecting his medium and the qualities that make it great. I know it's taboo to appreciate his work since he said "video games can't be art" but he wasn't just a dude who liked movies and criticized them, he was a scholar of film.

I dig all that. But when someone is using the tired, "Must have your own contribution in the form to criticize someone else's" it's an appropriate quip. I also wouldn't say Ebert writing three 70's sexploitation films makes him an accomplished script writer... Besides I said "directed"

78. Re: Fez II Cancelled Jul 29, 2013, 16:15 PixelScuba

Sepharo wrote on Jul 29, 2013, 14:52:

Roger Ebert was an accomplished script writer (Beyond the Valley of the Dolls) and spent years in college studying filmography and cinematography. Ebert is a poor analogy in this case because he spent years studying and dissecting his medium and the qualities that make it great. I know it's taboo to appreciate his work since he said "video games can't be art" but he wasn't just a dude who liked movies and criticized them, he was a scholar of film.

77. Re: Fez II Cancelled Jul 29, 2013, 15:42 ASeven

RollinThundr wrote on Jul 29, 2013, 15:03:
ASeven wrote on Jul 29, 2013, 13:22:
Jivaro wrote on Jul 29, 2013, 12:30:
Snapdad wrote on Jul 29, 2013, 03:10:
Creston wrote on Jul 28, 2013, 17:36:
Hopefully this will be the last time we ever hear of the douchetard.

Creston

Still waiting for your game, btw.

Why? I am interested to hear how that has anything to do with anything or what your intended point is. Is there a previous discussion that offers context to this?

I believe he is being, as that guy said, a "tosspot".

Come now, a better question would be when isn't he being a "tosspot"?

I was talking about Snapdad, not Creston. Creston is cool beans.

76. Re: Fez II Cancelled Jul 29, 2013, 15:06 Dmitri_M

The average gamer isn't all that creative and doesn't understand the type of personality drawn to the hard work it takes to produce something creative like a game.

A guy like Fish needs build a wall between himself and the community using a publicist.

That said, I think his personality is drawn to the shitstorms. Craves positive attention but can't handle criticism. Which as actually quite common among creatives..

I know some game devs who never visit forums for the titles they work on. Reading a bunch of random attacks by people who don't understand deadlines, compromises and the other less glamorous side of video games production is hard for anyone..it sucks the life out of the work you do. These devs have a healthy strategy for dealing with criticism. Isolate yourself from it if you cannot ignore it. Fish does not have a healthy way of dealing with it..

75. Re: Fez II Cancelled Jul 29, 2013, 15:03 RollinThundr

ASeven wrote on Jul 29, 2013, 13:22:

Creston

Why? I am interested to hear how that has anything to do with anything or what your intended point is. Is there a previous discussion that offers context to this?

Come now, a better question would be when isn't he being a "tosspot"?

74. Re: Fez II Cancelled Jul 29, 2013, 14:52 Sepharo

73. Re: Fez II Cancelled Jul 29, 2013, 13:22 ASeven

Creston

72. Re: Fez II Cancelled Jul 29, 2013, 12:30 Jivaro

Creston

71. Re: Fez II Cancelled Jul 29, 2013, 12:29 ASeven

In the end, everybody in this drama comes out losing. Fish, because he clearly and seriously needs mental health care, it's obvious he has some serious mental health problems. That "journalist" for being everything but a journalist and being as much an asshole as Fish. The only people winning is us with all this delicious drama and meltdowns.  

70. Re: Fez II Cancelled Jul 29, 2013, 11:59 Smellfinger

Dev wrote on Jul 28, 2013, 21:41:
I don't think so. The crowdfunding, the rise of the indie games, the popularity of digital distribution for PC titles, all of it is good things for the PC gaming industry.

If putting up with a few douchebags is one of the main negatives of the health of the industry, that certainly doesn't make it unique
Yeah, but how many of those crowd-funded and indie games are remakes or variations of old formulas that took shape when there was no communication between developers and players at all?

69. Re: Fez II Cancelled Jul 29, 2013, 10:12 nin

avianflu wrote on Jul 29, 2013, 10:10:
On the other hand, the "journalist" who started all of this was entirely an idiot.

Very true.

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

68. Re: Fez II Cancelled Jul 29, 2013, 10:10 avianflu

On the other hand, the "journalist" who started all of this was entirely an idiot.  

67. Re: Fez II Cancelled Jul 29, 2013, 09:56 Verno

I notice he didn't bother to take the moral high ground before putting together a release for Steam that he can milk in steam sales for years to come.

It is a shame to lose someone with a talent for design but this guy had such a toxic personality that it bled through and overshadowed the work. There are a ton of assholes who work in the gaming industry, many are smart enough to keep their mouths shut though.

Playing: Divinity Original Sin, Infamous Second Son, Madden
Watching: Spartan, Possible Worlds, The Changeling

66. Re: Fez II Cancelled Jul 29, 2013, 09:07 BitWraith

Part of being an artist (which this guy apparently either is, or wants to be) is processing criticism constructively. Artists produce things specifically to be criticized. Obviously, Fish cannot take the heat.  

65. Re: Fez II Cancelled Jul 29, 2013, 08:55 Mingus

And this is what happens when you take yourself far too seriously.

My wife and I were watching the Indie Movie a couple of weeks ago, and her fist comment when this twit came on is "what an arrogant ass****."

84 Replies. 5 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo