Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Steam Top 10

Here's the list of the 10 bestselling games on Steam for the past week:

1. Shadowrun Returns
  2. The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim Legendary Edition
  3. Civilization V: A Brave New World
  4. Civilization V Gold Edition
  5. BioShock Infinite
  6. Borderlands 2
  7. Kerbal Space Program
  8. Dishonored
  9. Prison Architect
  10. Counter-Strike: Global Offensive

View
25 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

25. Re: Steam Top 10 Jul 30, 2013, 03:58 Jerykk

Played through SR as a shaman and had fun, though summoning is too risky to be useful in most cases. I dumped almost all of my points into Charisma/summoning strength/summon control and there were still cases where a summoned creature would go berserk on my first AP dump. A berserk summon can easily screw you over and with the game's crappy save system, that's a huge risk. I feel like they need a better way of balancing the power of summoned creatures. They're already one-time use and you can only have one summon active at a time. That alone seems like it would be balanced enough.

Also, putting some points into Body is basically mandatory. I played through most of the game with no points in Body and I would routinely get killed in one hit.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

24. Re: Steam Top 10 Jul 30, 2013, 01:35 Creston

Technically that's what SR does too. Give you the first half while they work on Berlin.

Hints are dropped about shit going down in Berlin near the end of the game, and you do meet Brackhaus/Lofwyr near the end, and get hints of him perhaps requiring assistance.

Whether you can import your character straight over is up for grabs. The editor seems to allow it, though it doesn't take your nuyen or your stash. On the flipside, my character was already a practically immortal god by the end of the game, so eh. Unless Berlin is way harder, it'd be boring to play more with him.

Plus RP'ing wise he's kind of had enough. I had him take the job as new security consultant for Telestrian.

Creston

23. Re: Steam Top 10 Jul 29, 2013, 17:30 Sepharo

Still haven't had a chance to hop into Shadowrun, but hearing that it's a bit on the short side makes me grateful that Double Fine (err Tim Schaefer) went decidedly for a long game.

Edit: Though I suppose we'll be stuck with the just the first half for a while

22. Re: Steam Top 10 Jul 29, 2013, 17:26 Creston

JoeNapalm wrote on Jul 29, 2013, 16:20:

Shadowrun Returns is bittersweet, for me. I'm surprised by all of the glowing praise, here. This is normally a tougher crowd. I love all things Shadowrun, and I enjoyed SR, but I was disappointed by the kiddie-pool depth of the thing. It's more like a very good iPad game than a PC game.

-Jn-
Ifriti Sophist

Nobody has claimed it's Watch Dogs-level deep. It's a shame they didn't go for a more open world setup, but having dug through their editor, it simply seems it's not really capable of doing anything like that. (without some massive work-arounds.)

I think in the end it all just boiled down to time. They were out of money, so had to release, and didn't have enough time to put everything in that they wanted to.

My one real big complaint is how short the actual story is. I was fine with them simplifying things because I figured it would at least still allow them to tell a huge, long story, and then we get the (spoiler) find a killer, immediately track his employer down to the brotherhood, immediately learn its ties to Telestrian, boom final mission, credits. ride. It almost feels like a summary.

Other than that, it's still a lot of fun. It's got a great shadowrun feel to it, the combat is meaty on higher diff levels, I like the matrix inclusion, you can set up really cool combos with the classless systems, and the story IS good even though it's much too short.

Still kinda curious what happened to that "backers only" mission they promised, though.

Creston

21. Re: Steam Top 10 Jul 29, 2013, 16:50 Flatline

JoeNapalm wrote on Jul 29, 2013, 16:20:
KSP is a great game...one of the very few I've played, in recent years, with an actual learning curve.

First few hours are spent simply trying to get into orbit, then get to the Mun, then LAND on the Mun, then land a Kerbal on the Mun, then rescue the Kerbal on the Mun because you can't get him back because you crash landed and wouldn't have had enough fuel, anyway...

I stopped playing, for now, because I wanted to enjoy it all over again in release.

Shadowrun Returns is bittersweet, for me. I'm surprised by all of the glowing praise, here. This is normally a tougher crowd. I love all things Shadowrun, and I enjoyed SR, but I was disappointed by the kiddie-pool depth of the thing. It's more like a very good iPad game than a PC game.

-Jn-
Ifriti Sophist

Again, have you gotten into the editor yet? User content will resolve pretty much every issue that they've had except the save point issue.

The article on what they had to do from arstechnica is pretty interesting. A lot of that money went into building a good toolbox. They did well with the campaign but the game was always pitched from the beginning as being a toolbox to create new content primarily.

I'm contemplating and sketching out a *large* campaign, and dabbling my feet in the editor. There's a HUGE amount of potential in that engine. That's what's getting people so excited.

20. Re: Steam Top 10 Jul 29, 2013, 16:20 JoeNapalm

KSP is a great game...one of the very few I've played, in recent years, with an actual learning curve.

First few hours are spent simply trying to get into orbit, then get to the Mun, then LAND on the Mun, then land a Kerbal on the Mun, then rescue the Kerbal on the Mun because you can't get him back because you crash landed and wouldn't have had enough fuel, anyway...

I stopped playing, for now, because I wanted to enjoy it all over again in release.

-Jn-
Ifriti Sophist

19. Re: Steam Top 10 Jul 29, 2013, 10:18 xXBatmanXx

Pigeon wrote on Jul 29, 2013, 09:17:
xXBatmanXx wrote on Jul 29, 2013, 08:49:
Skyrim is insane. Much love to the game. My Skyrim Legendary Bible Encyclopedia is within arms reach. I am afraid to open it!

There's so much to do its almost overwhelming. I feel like I can't move without tripping over a new quest. Not that, that's a bad thing, it just takes a little prioritizing.

...watch out for bears

Yup, try playing it on 2 platforms! hahahaha Playing completely diff styles on each. When I hear bear roar - I run.....

In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. / Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder.
Playing: New dad

18. Re: Steam Top 10 Jul 29, 2013, 09:55 jimnms

Numinar wrote on Jul 29, 2013, 05:04:
Go Kerbal! So. Awesome.
I'm loving Kerbal. It's still in alpha, but there's already so much stuff you can do. I just got my first Kerbal in orbit yesterday. I first experimented with putting satellites in orbit. My first one was a success, but the orbit was a bit wonky. I used up all of the fuel on the rocket, so it's now junk floating around in orbit. I wanted to get the satellite up and bring the rocket back, so I made changes and tried again. My second attempt once again I got the satellite in orbit, and this time it was a better, circular orbit. Again failed to bring the rocket back though. I had plenty of fuel, but I didn't know that it needed electrical power. The third one I attached a battery to the rocket stage, put the satellite in orbit, detached the rocket, and still couldn't fire the thrusters to de-orbit it. I then realized it needs a command module too. Not only do I have a 3rd junk rocket in orbit, I forgot to extend the solar panels on the satellite before its internal battery ran out, so that makes four pieces of space junk now. I made another little tweak and the fourth try I successfully put the satellite in orbit and recovered the rocket.

Then I replaced the satellite with a manned module, but didn't put a Kerbal in it yet. I attached a small unmanned command module to it to make sure I could get it in orbit and bring it back safely before putting a Kerbal's life on the line. It was a good thing too because I had a couple of failures before getting a successful orbit and recovery. I then double checked with two more successful launches before doing it with a Kerbal on board without the unmanned module controlling it.

Now that I've done that, I'm going to experiment with putting a satellite in orbit of the Mun (Kerbin's moon), then send a Kerbal to orbit the Mun and return. Then I'll start working on a way to land them on the Mun and get them home. I'm also thinking of designing a ship to go up and get those junk rockets out of orbit. I know you can "delete" them from the command center, but that's no fun.

Steam Profile

17. Re: Steam Top 10 Jul 29, 2013, 09:17 Pigeon

xXBatmanXx wrote on Jul 29, 2013, 08:49:
Skyrim is insane. Much love to the game. My Skyrim Legendary Bible Encyclopedia is within arms reach. I am afraid to open it!

There's so much to do its almost overwhelming. I feel like I can't move without tripping over a new quest. Not that, that's a bad thing, it just takes a little prioritizing.

...watch out for bears

16. Re: Steam Top 10 Jul 29, 2013, 09:09 InBlack

nin wrote on Jul 29, 2013, 08:49:
Soulburner wrote on Jul 28, 2013, 18:04:
Very happy about Shadowrun Returns
Congratulations to developers!

Agreed! Glad it's doing well for them!

Many Happy Returns! (Ha!)

I have a nifty blue line!

15. Re: Steam Top 10 Jul 29, 2013, 08:49 nin

Soulburner wrote on Jul 28, 2013, 18:04:
Very happy about Shadowrun Returns
Congratulations to developers!

Agreed! Glad it's doing well for them!

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

14. Re: Steam Top 10 Jul 29, 2013, 08:49 xXBatmanXx

In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. / Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder.
Playing: New dad

13. Re: Steam Top 10 Jul 29, 2013, 06:26 eRe4s3r

Fion wrote on Jul 28, 2013, 19:17:
I'm def enjoying Shadowrun Returns. My Decker is kicking the matrix' ass and taking names heh. I'll probably do a second runthrough when I'm done, check out some mods (and campaigns people are making) and perhaps try my hand at the toolset. Just days after release there is already some good stuff on the Steam Workshop, I forsee a strong community that makes content for a long time to come. Maybe even as strong as NWN1/2's mod community was and still is.

Nice to see Civ V kicking but. The new expansion is amazingly good and the great deal on Gold Edition seems to have brought in a massive wave of new players.

Better than NWN1's mod community? I really doubt it. NWN1 had an absolutely mind numbing advanced scripting system and a very complex combat and follower system to boot.

Although it seems more complex gameplay systems can be hacked together, the real question is will modders actually bother to do that? For one this game direly needs more tilesets, especially fantasy and magic ones.

12. Re: Steam Top 10 Jul 29, 2013, 06:04 eRe4s3r

Blahman wrote on Jul 28, 2013, 23:29:
Quinn wrote on Jul 28, 2013, 21:25:
Happy to see Citadels isn't on this list. Thank baby jesus for pirates providing free demos. That game is so horrid, asking money for it is a crime, let alone 40 bucks!

Really that bad? I was hoping Citadels would be what Stronghold 3 was supposed to have been. Oh well. Got any links to any poignant reviews?

TotalBisquit
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F6b7xXKgvsY

Shows you all you want to see..

11. Re: Steam Top 10 Jul 29, 2013, 05:04 Numinar

Go Kerbal! So. Awesome.

Graphics card died but this game actually works on the old intel HD... so that will keep me busy for a while as the replacement gets sorted.

10. Re: Steam Top 10 Jul 29, 2013, 02:56 saluk

Someone needs to do a new stronghold like game, right.  

9. Re: Steam Top 10 Jul 29, 2013, 01:05 jacobvandy

The only thing that rubbed me the wrong way about the new Shadowrun: why the hell can't I right-click on anything!? Mac was the lead platform, I guess.

And yeah, Citadels is Stronghold 3's under-developed, fetus-like twin, chopped off and discarded as nothing more but a tumor.

8. Re: Steam Top 10 Jul 28, 2013, 23:30 Blahman

Congrats to HBS, definitely well-deserved. I enjoyed the campaign a lot and can't wait to see where this goes from here.  

7. Re: Steam Top 10 Jul 28, 2013, 23:29 Blahman

Quinn wrote on Jul 28, 2013, 21:25:
Happy to see Citadels isn't on this list. Thank baby jesus for pirates providing free demos. That game is so horrid, asking money for it is a crime, let alone 40 bucks!

Really that bad? I was hoping Citadels would be what Stronghold 3 was supposed to have been. Oh well. Got any links to any poignant reviews?

6. Re: Steam Top 10 Jul 28, 2013, 21:25 Quinn

"Moo," she said.
And I trembled.

25 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo