Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

F1 2013 in October

Codemasters announced an October 8th release date for F1 2013, the recently announced motorsports sequel, saying it will race onto both Windows and Xbox 360 that day. They celebrate the news with this trailer showing a timely hot lap: "To mark the release date announcement, Codemasters has released a hot lap video using work-in-progress in-game footage featuring the Hungaroring circuit which is set to stage the FORMULA 1 MAGYAR NAGYDÍJ 2013 this weekend. The video shows Toro Rosso–Ferrari’s Australian driver Daniel Ricciardo taking on the famous circuit and is narrated by Anthony Davidson, former FORMULA ONE™ driver and Technical Consultant on F1 2013, who describes how drivers should attack each corner and carry as much speed as possible through the tight and twisty track in the battle for points this weekend."

View
5 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

5. Re: F1 2013 in October Jul 29, 2013, 04:25 Raptor

Strange, since I remember running online laps with some buddies with F1 2001 and it had ride height and all control points in realistic units (by mm for example).
I even read Ayrton Senna's book on car handling and how to tweak and tune (plus, what all the controls meant), so I could tune my car better and it really helped with my lap times.
I tried one F1 game after that and remember that the options were tweaked down, so I lost interest.
Hopefully there will be a return of realistic car tuning options now.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

4. Re: F1 2013 in October Jul 28, 2013, 13:59 theglaze

Zyrxil wrote on Jul 28, 2013, 12:47:
How accurate are these games in terms of speed and car simulation? I remember that episode of Top Gear where they made such a big deal out of how little reaction time you had and how you had to keep the speed up so everything wouldn't lock up. Do they ramp everything down just to make it playable by normal people?

Codemasters has made the most technical motorsport approachable to any racing fan, even to those that have never raced a video game before. For example, the car setup has been diluted to keep things simple with only the suspension setup showing 'units' while most other settings are scaled out of 11 (downforce can be tweaked to front 8 out of 11, and rear 7 out of 11).

Compared to more complex racers like Forza and GT, it's surprising to see missing settings such as the transmission's final drive, tire pressure, or rear differential lock points. Even after 3 games, they've yet to add anything on the front end to show advancements they've made within the car physics. To me, this mainly suggests that the EGO Engine still does not have a detailed resolution in physics to even consider small changes to car setup, such as increase to the ride height in 'mm' compared to an abstract notch of '1'.

It should be noted, however, that F1 2013 will run on their latest engine, 3.0. Up until this point, only GRID 2 has used this engine. If the jump from 1.0 to 2.0 (F1 2010 to F1 2011) is any indication of wheel force feedback improvements, one could expect noticeable improvements. Will they remove the pesky always-somewhat-on traction control and ABS? I doubt it.

Bringing this altogether for your question, can normal people play this game? Yes and no.

There's nothing daunting in the car setup or car handling, and that keeps the game approachable. You don't have to worry much about your brake/tire temperatures or screwing up the transmission with poor shifts. It's the sheer speed that a new driver has to adjust to, hitting brake markers, apex's and tight racing lines +80% of the time in order to lay down fast laps, and that experience is mentally draining.

The polished visuals and great engine audio shine through when driving a McLaren all out on Spa or whipping a Ferrari around the Hungaring, adding to an exhilarating driving experience. And I think Codies would argue that matters more than developing a more rigorous physics engine.

This comment was edited on Jul 28, 2013, 14:04.

3. Re: F1 2013 in October Jul 28, 2013, 13:07 SpectralMeat

theyarecomingforyou wrote on Jul 28, 2013, 10:56:
Hopefully it isn't a trainwreck like F1 2012, which I had to skip because it a) didn't support my resolution (2560x1600), and b) didn't support SLI. That despite the fact that F1 2011 worked flawlessly.
I do believe there are 2 different teams working on these games and they are alternating in between them, so this game is made by the team that was responsible for 2011.
I find it strange that they do not support your resolution as this game can be played well with multi monitor setups and they even had some promo vids showing full cockpit setups with multi monitors.

I am not sure if I will get this or not. Found 2012 to be pretty boring.
If I end up buying it it will have to be on sale.

Steam: SpectralMeat

2. Re: F1 2013 in October Jul 28, 2013, 12:47 Zyrxil

How accurate are these games in terms of speed and car simulation? I remember that episode of Top Gear where they made such a big deal out of how little reaction time you had and how you had to keep the speed up so everything wouldn't lock up. Do they ramp everything down just to make it playable by normal people?  

1. Re: F1 2013 in October Jul 28, 2013, 10:56 theyarecomingforyou

Hopefully it isn't a trainwreck like F1 2012, which I had to skip because it a) didn't support my resolution (2560x1600), and b) didn't support SLI. That despite the fact that F1 2011 worked flawlessly.  

SteamID: theyarecomingforyou
Star Citizen: Blue's News

5 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo