Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Saturday Tech Bits

View
25 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

25. Re: Saturday Tech Bits Jul 28, 2013, 12:57 Optional Nickname!

DangerDog wrote on Jul 27, 2013, 20:05:
How would they push this update? Is the CPU actually programmable to this extent? Would microsoft have to do this through windows?

How would they push this update?

Via means you might not think possible on your PC. Silently and with no user interaction.

Is the CPU actually programmable to this extent?

That and more. You can brick a CPU remotely.

Would microsoft have to do this through windows?

Microsoft might update microcode through Windows, as part of Windows Update. However you don't need windows to update your PC, BIOS or CPU.

In fact, I have the option to update my z77 BIOS from the BIOS, no booting required.

tl;dr: If you have an internet connection, your modern CPU/Mobo is vulnerable to any modification. Even if your PC is shut off.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

24. Re: Saturday Tech Bits Jul 28, 2013, 11:36 Tom

Dev wrote on Jul 27, 2013, 22:11:
The article author is ignorant on that.

Usually something like this just gets updated on the next revision of the CPU. Its not usually updated software wise. So get the Haswell CPU now and it should overclock fine on non z87 mobos for as long as you own it.
I think you're probably right about this, but I have seen microcode updates on Windows Update in the past. There is no elaborate update process like you get with a BIOS update. It just installs like any other update.

23. Re: Saturday Tech Bits Jul 28, 2013, 11:34 Tom

Fibrocyte wrote on Jul 28, 2013, 07:26:
I've recently started upgrading all the monitors in my house to 27" (BenQ has a very nice one on amazon for $220) and have to say that it seems perfect. If I go any bigger I'll need to move my head around too much during gaming to see different parts of the HUD.
Agreed that 27" is big enough, but if you're going to go 27", go 2560x1440. I imagine the pixels must be rather large on a 1080p 27" display.

22. Re: Saturday Tech Bits Jul 28, 2013, 11:25 Slashman

FU wrote on Jul 28, 2013, 07:42:
Vote with your wallet. Oh that's right, amd cpu tech is rubbish.

ZING!

21. Re: Saturday Tech Bits Jul 28, 2013, 07:42 FU

Vote with your wallet. Oh that's right, amd cpu tech is rubbish.

20. Re: Saturday Tech Bits Jul 28, 2013, 07:26 Fibrocyte

jdreyer wrote on Jul 27, 2013, 21:46:
NKD wrote on Jul 27, 2013, 19:56:

7680x1440 is still dicey in some games/settings on my triple SLI setup :/ People getting excited for "4k gaming" are in for a rude awakening when they realize how inadequate even the best PC hardware is for the job.

1. Almost nobody here runs triple 2560 x 1440 monitors. That's more than $2000 just for displays.

2. To get the full benefit of a 30" 4K monitor, your face has to be withing 18 inches (45cm) of it. At 3 feet (90cm) a 4K monitor is indistinguishable from 1080p. It's kind of useless actually.

I've recently started upgrading all the monitors in my house to 27" (BenQ has a very nice one on amazon for $220) and have to say that it seems perfect. If I go any bigger I'll need to move my head around too much during gaming to see different parts of the HUD.

Also, I don't see removable vent guards as a requirement for my cases. I have never had an issue with just using the dusting brush attachment that comes with my vacuum cleaner. I've been doing this for 15 years with no issue.

19. Re: Saturday Tech Bits Jul 28, 2013, 06:00 DG

jimnms wrote on Jul 27, 2013, 15:47:
... the hardest thing I'm having trouble picking out is a case.
Been a while since I bought a new case, but if it helps any the only one I've ever really been happy with is this Antec P182.

All 120mm fans, with a switch on the back to set low/med/full speed. Front fans all have dust filters - thin metal mesh which captures a lot of dust but doesn't impede airflow, and cleaning them is easy (several reviews got this wrong, there's a simple latch to access).

The front door may be a nuisance if you use dvd drive a lot, but it muffles the sound of fans a lot.

18. Re: Saturday Tech Bits Jul 28, 2013, 02:24 jimnms

jdreyer wrote on Jul 27, 2013, 21:32:
Other than that, the hardest thing I'm having trouble picking out is a case.

I'd recommend the SilverStone Raven RV03. When I rebuilt my PC last summer, I looked at dozens of different cases assessing them for the following criteria: had to have a window, had to have excellent cooling, had to have plenty of space, and had to have easily removable dust covers that could be cleaned. The RV03 has all of that. The only thing that bothered me was the gold stripe, but shortly after release they also released a gray stripe one, which is the one I got.

I like simple cases. I went with the windowed, lighted, blinged out cases on the past two systems, and with this one and I went simple with this case (except mine is windowless). There are two things I really like about this case, one it's all aluminum, so it's very light and it keeps things cool. Second, the power supply is inserted from the outside, which made putting it together easier, and the few times I had to attach a wire to it (it's modular) I could slide it out a little to get to it better.

I want to keep it simple again again. My requirements are: at least two external bays (one 5.25" and one 3.5" or two 5.25"), USB 3.0 on the front panel and nothing on top. I found several cases I liked, but the USB ports and/or power/reset buttons were on top. My last case had the USB ports on top, and I never used them because I always end up setting stuff on top of the case. There was one that had an eSATA dock on top, which was pretty cool though.

I've browsed some more and this is the leader so far, the Cooler Master N400. Unless someone can point me to something that meets my requirements above that I like better, I'll go with this one.

Now that I've got the case sorted out, I just need to decide if I'm going to go with the 4670K to have the room to overclock later, save a few bucks for the Non K CPU or splurge for the i7 4770. The i7 4770 is has 8MB cache vs 6MB, and has hyperthreading, but it's also $90 more than the i5 4670.

Steam Profile

17. Re: Saturday Tech Bits Jul 28, 2013, 00:03 Ventura

Why wouldn't anyone intending on overclocking just put together an Ivy Bridge system? Isn't it easier and faster than overclocking on Haswell tech? Unless I'm mistaken, their focus with Haswell was to create a good chip for mobile users, ensuring that it doesn't draw as much power while running relatively idle.

I upgraded to Hawell recently from the old Q6600 chip. So yeah, it'd been a while. Had no intention of OC'ing anyway, so I chose the standard 4770, and partnered it with a board based on the H87 chipset. I'll be set for a while now

16. Re: Saturday Tech Bits Jul 27, 2013, 22:11 Dev

DangerDog wrote on Jul 27, 2013, 20:05:
How would they push this update? Is the CPU actually programmable to this extent? Would microsoft have to do this through windows?
The article author is ignorant on that.

Usually something like this just gets updated on the next revision of the CPU. Its not usually updated software wise. So get the Haswell CPU now and it should overclock fine on non z87 mobos for as long as you own it.

(note that the BIOS updates that mention microcode are to SUPPORT those versions of the microcode, not to actually update it themselves).

15. Re: Saturday Tech Bits Jul 27, 2013, 22:04 Kitkoan

If I remember correctly, things like the overclocking block preventing you from over clocking your system is just a bad side effect for what it's real idea was. To prevent shady companies from overclocking the chips to just below unstable levels and the raising the prices and selling them as faster computers. This was a bigger problem in I think the early 90s but sometimes the system was over clocked and unstable, and/or the cpus life span was shortened from the overclocking.
All in all, bad for business since it made the cpu maker look like they were selling crappy chips that were unstable and died soon.

*automatically refuses to place horse heads in anyone's bed*

14. Re: Saturday Tech Bits Jul 27, 2013, 21:46 jdreyer

NKD wrote on Jul 27, 2013, 19:56:

7680x1440 is still dicey in some games/settings on my triple SLI setup :/ People getting excited for "4k gaming" are in for a rude awakening when they realize how inadequate even the best PC hardware is for the job.

1. Almost nobody here runs triple 2560 x 1440 monitors. That's more than $2000 just for displays.

2. To get the full benefit of a 30" 4K monitor, your face has to be withing 18 inches (45cm) of it. At 3 feet (90cm) a 4K monitor is indistinguishable from 1080p. It's kind of useless actually.

"It's just a bunch of mystic bovine scatology to me." - 1badmf

13. Re: Saturday Tech Bits Jul 27, 2013, 21:34 jdreyer

Silicon Avatar wrote on Jul 27, 2013, 17:52:
I didn't know overclocking was even that big of a deal anymore. I can't remember the last time a game maxed out anything on my computer.

Yeah, I don't bother OC'ing anymore. Unless you're doing video encoding or working massive RAW files in PS, CPUs today have more than enough power at stock for the vast majority of games and other tasks.

EDIT: Yeah, totally agree with what Dev says.

12. Re: Saturday Tech Bits Jul 27, 2013, 21:32 jdreyer

Other than that, the hardest thing I'm having trouble picking out is a case.

I'd recommend the SilverStone Raven RV03. When I rebuilt my PC last summer, I looked at dozens of different cases assessing them for the following criteria: had to have a window, had to have excellent cooling, had to have plenty of space, and had to have easily removable dust covers that could be cleaned. The RV03 has all of that. The only thing that bothered me was the gold stripe, but shortly after release they also released a gray stripe one, which is the one I got.

11. Re: Saturday Tech Bits Jul 27, 2013, 20:05 DangerDog

10. Re: Saturday Tech Bits Jul 27, 2013, 19:56 NKD

wtf_man wrote on Jul 27, 2013, 18:08:
I didn't know overclocking was even that big of a deal anymore. I can't remember the last time a game maxed out anything on my computer.

This.

I had an overclocked Core 2 Duo E8600 and an overclocked 8800GTX (both liquid cooled) up until January of this year. Now, I have a stock clocked Core I5 3570k, and a stock clocked GTX680 (both air cooled). So far, I haven't come across anything it can't play at max settings @ 1920x1080.

If you don't like where gaming is heading, stop giving your money to the people who are taking it in that direction.

9. Re: Saturday Tech Bits Jul 27, 2013, 19:52 Rea1One

Z87 is by far the best chip i've used in all my years, Overclocked my 4770K @ 5.2Ghz on a stock fan  

8. Re: Saturday Tech Bits Jul 27, 2013, 19:37 Umbragen

Yeah, it's true most PC games are console ports, but those ports are often so shitty that you need every ounce of power to get good performance. I'm looking at you Rockstar!!

That said, I spend most of my computer budget on graphics cards.

7. Re: Saturday Tech Bits Jul 27, 2013, 18:56 Dev

wtf_man wrote on Jul 27, 2013, 18:08:

This.

I had an overclocked Core 2 Duo E8600 and an overclocked 8800GTX (both liquid cooled) up until January of this year. Now, I have a stock clocked Core I5 3570k, and a stock clocked GTX680 (both air cooled). So far, I haven't come across anything it can't play at max settings @ 1920x1080.
Because
a) Modern CPU's are way overpowered for most things people do including the majority of games.
b) Most games are more GPU bound, not CPU.
c) Big graphics games are often ported games, and ported console games since they are programmed for the lowest common denominator (and yes I know they often have some PC extras but those extras often aren't terribly demanding), often don't max things out anyway.

A $500 rig nowadays can run the vast majority of games at 1080p.

6. Re: Saturday Tech Bits Jul 27, 2013, 18:08 wtf_man

This.

25 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo