Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Evening Tech Bits

View
16 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

16. Re: Evening Tech Bits Jul 27, 2013, 21:12 xXBatmanXx

Supply and Demand now says that if there are too many of them, the price needs to drop substantially.....which hasn't happened.

They aren't worth what they are charging. I would love to have one for $200.00 just for the flash and Windows OS.

Then I can play Card Hunter while not at home.

In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. / Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder.
Playing: New dad
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

15. Re: Evening Tech Bits Jul 27, 2013, 13:52 Burrito of Peace

Creston wrote on Jul 27, 2013, 12:23:
But none of that is particularly new. I've been able to fix things remotely on my Android/iPhone for the last 2-3 years. Admittedly it's not the easiest thing in the world to work with, but it works fine.

So if that's the Surface RT's saving grace, well...

Creston

It has its place in my world is all I am saying while recognizing its vast shortcomings. Sure, I've got a terminal app on my phone, too, but you can bet I would never think of it as my first go to device should something big go down. Hell, it wouldn't even be my second or third choice. More to the point, my phone doesn't have a built-in office suite, RD nor cloud integration. These are three things that are non-negotiable in my world.

I'm not a fan of it, it's just a tool. A tool that is far lighter than a laptop and has a longer battery life. It is not a lifestyle device for me nor is it to extend the length of my eCock. IF you're looking for something to flick back and forth while you sit on the couch, this is not the device for you.

Plain and simple, it's a failed product as it stands today for what Microsoft wanted it to be used for. Should someone ever get a functioning Linux distro on it that supports all of its hardware features, and is feature rich, I think it'll be a great, (and by then) cheap tablet for people who want to DIY.

14. Re: Evening Tech Bits Jul 27, 2013, 13:18 4D-Boxing

Burrito of Peace wrote on Jul 27, 2013, 10:24:
As a Surface RT owner, I have to say:

Microsoft fucked this up. They marketed it horribly and it has no place trying to compete with the Nexus, Kindle and iPad. It's horrible for home use.

However, what it does excel at is as a bridge device between work and home. Office, Remote Desktop and Azure integration are really well done. Buy the cheap Terminal application and now I don't actually have to be sitting at a desk to fix...whatever one of the junior admins have horribly, catastrophically broken in the name of "progress".

Still, it's not a tablet I can recommend outside of a very niche demographic of users.

Well said, a consumption device like that should never have been priced so high and people I knew decided to wait for the pro version since RT was like the Kupa x11 and Viliv devices that came out in 2009/2010 but with a bit more juice.

Even the Pro looks like a bad alternative considering what is available. There is the Toshiba z10t, Gigabyte s1185, Lenovo Thinkpad Helix, Samsung ATIV Pro 700T and Kupa Ultranote x15 which are better options IMHO. On my end I splurged and got myself the x15 with an Anker 4mm slim keyboard because of the removable battery (bought a spare), better CPU (not downclocked out of doc like Helix), size, resolution (dpi 1920x1200 on a 10'3 incher), 8gb ram, finger print reader, 4G, weight (760gm) etc... Win8 is even worst than I ever imagined but like most...used classic shell and few other tweaks to make the OS a bit more usable.

13. Re: Evening Tech Bits Jul 27, 2013, 12:23 Creston

Burrito of Peace wrote on Jul 27, 2013, 10:24:
However, what it does excel at is as a bridge device between work and home. Office, Remote Desktop and Azure integration are really well done. Buy the cheap Terminal application and now I don't actually have to be sitting at a desk to fix...whatever one of the junior admins have horribly, catastrophically broken in the name of "progress".

But none of that is particularly new. I've been able to fix things remotely on my Android/iPhone for the last 2-3 years. Admittedly it's not the easiest thing in the world to work with, but it works fine.

So if that's the Surface RT's saving grace, well...

Creston

12. Re: Evening Tech Bits Jul 27, 2013, 12:03 Tom

The thing is, you can get a full Windows 8 tablet instead and do everything you can do on the Surface RT plus everything you can do on a real computer. Even the crappy Atom tablets @ ~$500 have much higher performance than the ARM chip in the Surface RT. With the new pricing, Surface RT has a price advantage, but is still a terrible value when considering the functionality gap.

I think Surface RT fails even as a niche product. Its only legitimate asset is the industrial design, which is not nearly enough to make it a competitive product.

11. Re: Evening Tech Bits Jul 27, 2013, 12:00 Silicon Avatar

jdreyer wrote on Jul 27, 2013, 05:32:
Cutter wrote on Jul 27, 2013, 02:15:
Love the comments in the article deriding him. And one guy actually proving how he's been nothing but bad for MS. Like I always say, Forbes voted him worst CEO of all time for many reasons. The saddest part is they could have easily been the biggest most powerful corporation in the world otherwise.

I agree about Ballmer, but MS is making hella profit. Not sure why exactly.

MS makes hella profit because they have a thousand irons in the fire. Surface RT blows? Oh well, every business in the country is still buying Office 2013. They can afford to fail a whole product cycle and then redo it as a win the next go around.

10. Re: Evening Tech Bits Jul 27, 2013, 10:24 Burrito of Peace

As a Surface RT owner, I have to say:

Microsoft fucked this up. They marketed it horribly and it has no place trying to compete with the Nexus, Kindle and iPad. It's horrible for home use.

Still, it's not a tablet I can recommend outside of a very niche demographic of users.

9. Re: Evening Tech Bits Jul 27, 2013, 09:38 Julio

Now Ballmer will build even more Surface RTs. You'll buy them and like it, or they'll end up in the landfill with those ET cartridges.  

8. Re: Evening Tech Bits Jul 27, 2013, 05:32 jdreyer

Cutter wrote on Jul 27, 2013, 02:15:
Love the comments in the article deriding him. And one guy actually proving how he's been nothing but bad for MS. Like I always say, Forbes voted him worst CEO of all time for many reasons. The saddest part is they could have easily been the biggest most powerful corporation in the world otherwise.

I agree about Ballmer, but MS is making hella profit. Not sure why exactly.

But seriously, if you're trying to break into a market a couple years late to the show, you need to price it at or lower than the competition to gain market share. OR you need something absolutely amazing that no one else has. Which the Surface RT is not.

"It's just a bunch of mystic bovine scatology to me." - 1badmf

7. Re: Evening Tech Bits Jul 27, 2013, 02:15 Cutter

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

6. Re: Evening Tech Bits Jul 27, 2013, 01:38 Creston

Maybe for his next trick, he will admit that he is a fucking terrible CEO and finally piss off.

Creston

5. Re: Evening Tech Bits Jul 27, 2013, 01:30 Prez

It's the Zune all over again. Late to the market and overpriced.

EDIT: That would be "ZUNE", not "UNE" Damn laptop keyboard with its shitty keys

This comment was edited on Jul 27, 2013, 01:58.

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

4. Re: Evening Tech Bits Jul 27, 2013, 00:24 Tom

The problem is Windows RT. The sooner that POS is just an ugly footnote in history, the better.  

3. Re: Evening Tech Bits Jul 26, 2013, 23:57 jdreyer

The problem wasn't that they built too many, but that they priced them wrong.

Pull your head out of your ass and realize MS <> Apple.

"It's just a bunch of mystic bovine scatology to me." - 1badmf

2. Re: Evening Tech Bits Jul 26, 2013, 22:27 nin

Cutter wrote on Jul 26, 2013, 21:23:
When will Ballmer admit he should have never taken the job to begin with?

He's got to be the #1 example of riding a friends coattails to success.

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

1. Re: Evening Tech Bits Jul 26, 2013, 21:23 Cutter

When will Ballmer admit he should have never taken the job to begin with?

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

16 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo