Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

etc., etc.

View
6 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

6. Re: etc., etc. Jul 27, 2013, 19:36 NKD

SS wrote on Jul 27, 2013, 07:04:
The fact that the guy describes Mortal Kombat as a good videogame film, makes it sound like they've set really low standards.

Mortal Kombat was literally the only good one to ever be made, so it's hard to find other examples. But let's be honest here, doing a good Mortal Kombat movie SHOULD be easy. After all, it's just a martial arts movie with a fantasy/scifi skin.

Something like Deus Ex is a much bigger challenge, which is why I suspect suckage.

Their only hope for a good movie is to just pull the basic setting from the franchise and not try and tell the same stories in film format.

If you don't like where gaming is heading, stop giving your money to the people who are taking it in that direction.
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

5. Re: etc., etc. Jul 27, 2013, 12:31 PropheT

ItBurn wrote on Jul 27, 2013, 01:22:
Also, there were many other good video game movies.
Both Tomb Raiders

The first one wasn't good, but in the second one she punches a shark. That's not the only moment that's outright terrible, but in what's otherwise a serious movie they thought a shark punching scene was a good idea. I guess instead of jumping it she takes it head on, but the result is pretty much the same.

Silent Hill isn't bad and has its moments, and Prince of Persia is a pretty good popcorn movie. Other than that, though? There's two video game movies I'd consider ok out of all of them they've made, and I'm not all that hard to please.

4. Re: etc., etc. Jul 27, 2013, 10:02 Panickd

ItBurn wrote on Jul 27, 2013, 01:22:
If you make a movie with the Deus Ex license and it's something completely different, you're gonna have a bad time. Also, there were many other good video game movies.
Both Tomb Raiders
Silent Hill
Max Payne(won't win awards, but it was a solid movie)
Some would say Resident Evil(not me, but hey, they made a million of them)
Doom(got horrible reviews, but I really liked it. It was super entertaining)
Prince of Persia
The fact that he thinks Mortal Kombat is the only one, and that was 20 years ago, doesn't fill me with confidence...

You have extremely low standards of what constitutes a "good" video game movie. The Tomb Raiders were solid if unspectacular, Silent Hill was just OK, Max Payne was meh on every level, the RE movies are really just their own thing completely removed from the games at this point, Doom was a movie that used the Doom name to sell a generic space marine sci-fi film that still sucked and Prince of Persia made the classic time travel movie mistake of setting up the rules for how the time travel should work and then changing those rules at the end so that the movie itself never happened which is just lazy screenwriting (though I'll concede it was entertaining up until that point).

The fact that they've tapped a writer and director best known for second rate horror films tells you all you need to know about the Deus Ex film. The studio is clearly looking to get it out there as cheaply as possible and we know that always works out well in the film world.

3. Re: etc., etc. Jul 27, 2013, 09:02 eRe4s3r

Given how few "true" cyberpunk movies there are I take what I can get..  

2. Re: etc., etc. Jul 27, 2013, 07:04 SS

The fact that the guy describes Mortal Kombat as a good videogame film, makes it sound like they've set really low standards.  

1. Re: etc., etc. Jul 27, 2013, 01:22 ItBurn

If you make a movie with the Deus Ex license and it's something completely different, you're gonna have a bad time. Also, there were many other good video game movies.
Both Tomb Raiders
Silent Hill
Max Payne(won't win awards, but it was a solid movie)
Some would say Resident Evil(not me, but hey, they made a million of them)
Doom(got horrible reviews, but I really liked it. It was super entertaining)
Prince of Persia
The fact that he thinks Mortal Kombat is the only one, and that was 20 years ago, doesn't fill me with confidence...

6 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo