Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

7.7 Million WoW Subs

A note in the announcement of Activision Blizzard's stock buyback from Vivendi offers the latest subscriber numbers for World of Warcraft. The last census for the game put the playerbase at 8.3 million, and word is they have lost about 600K of them since then: "Blizzard Entertainment’s World of Warcraft® remained the world’s #1 subscription-based MMORPG, ending the quarter with approximately 7.7 million subscribers."

View
37 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

17. Re: 7.7 Million WoW Subs Jul 26, 2013, 11:35 Pigeon

Frijoles wrote on Jul 26, 2013, 10:40:
dj LiTh wrote on Jul 26, 2013, 10:37:
Somehow i doubt rift gained 600k subs directly from wow.

599,999. I went to GW2.

I'll return to WoW with the next expansion. I really want them to announce a new Warcraft RTS though. The story has gone stale since Arthas was defeated.

They setup a lot of storylines in WC3, and played them all out by Wrath. I wonder when they'll really get around to Sargeras though, he's technically the ultimate badguy. Maybe they're saving it for when they can't think up anymore filler like pandas.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

16. No subject Jul 26, 2013, 11:19 D_K_night

Frijoles wrote on Jul 26, 2013, 10:40:

599,999. I went to GW2.

I'll return to WoW with the next expansion. I really want them to announce a new Warcraft RTS though. The story has gone stale since Arthas was defeated.

we need something like the lich king back. Just an over-arching villain established from expansion day ONE to taunt us and challenge us from the get-go.

15. No subject Jul 26, 2013, 11:17 D_K_night

Even with its all-time lowest subscriber-base in years, WoW still remains the biggest MMO with easily the biggest revenue generation, no other MMO touches it.

Still though - they need to get back to the awesome days of Lich King when they scored 10 mil.

14. Re: 7.7 Million WoW Subs Jul 26, 2013, 11:13 LittleMe

Prez wrote on Jul 26, 2013, 10:42:
That's ridiculously high for a game that old. Why anyone in the world would STILL be willing to pay 15 bucks a month to play this is simply beyond my comprehension.

This. Old games aren't worth as much.

Political freedom can only be preceded by economic freedom which is preceded by monetary freedom.

13. Re: 7.7 Million WoW Subs Jul 26, 2013, 11:13 NKD

Not really surprising. The game is 9 years old and a lot of the people who were ever going to play, have already played and gotten bored. This level of subscriptions are not sustainable in a game this old no matter what they do.

Unless you're serving a niche with no real competition (EVE for example) you're eventually going to start bleeding subs pretty badly. Tweaks to your gameplay or whatever are not going to cause you to bleed millions of subs in a year, or prevent it for that matter.

People get bored, other games come out. I'm sure some of the free 2 play fodder plays a part, but honestly it seems like most people who've quit WoW have quit MMOs entirely.

What do I see my former WoW guildmates playing on Steam or talking about on our forums? Not Rift. Not GW2. It's Dota 2, or League of Lesbians, or Civ 5, etc.

That's ridiculously high for a game that old. Why anyone in the world would STILL be willing to pay 15 bucks a month to play this is simply beyond my comprehension.

15 dollars isn't much if it's the only MMO you're paying for. Especially if it eats up your time and keeps you from buying other titles. And not everyone playing, not even the majority, are old school players. Most have only been playing for a couple years and haven't really had the burn out hit yet. WoW has insane churn. When I last played, no one on my friends list from before 2009-2010 or so played anymore.

If you look at these 7.7 million subs as being most people late to the game, it's more understandable as to why they are still playing.

This comment was edited on Jul 26, 2013, 11:23.

If you don't like where gaming is heading, stop giving your money to the people who are taking it in that direction.

12. Re: 7.7 Million WoW Subs Jul 26, 2013, 11:09 Wallshadows

Verno wrote on Jul 26, 2013, 10:57:
To be fair it is a huge game filled with content. You can easily sink hundreds of hours into it. Just a shame that much of the older zones see no traffic, some have very fun group quests and other stuff to do.

They've 'fixed' the issue of empty zones by way of cross-realm grouping but it has introduced more issues than solutions in the form of randomly falling to your death because crossing in to a cross-realm zone can often dismount and kill you if you're in a two-seater. The worst part about it is if you take a flight path over a cross-realm zone which has a rare spawn, it'll still consider you to be on your home realm but when you fly back it'll take you off your home realm and throw you in with the rest on another. I got a hit on Time Lost Protodrake while on a flight path to Ulduar, flew back, nothing.

Also, group quests are...actually, I can honestly count how many true group quests there are in the game now after Cataclysm and most are optional such as the Arena events. The only rest are in Outland but most are already in Northrend before hitting Nagrand now.

11. Re: 7.7 Million WoW Subs Jul 26, 2013, 10:57 Verno

To be fair it is a huge game filled with content. You can easily sink hundreds of hours into it. Just a shame that much of the older zones see no traffic, some have very fun group quests and other stuff to do.

Congrats on your job thing BTW Prez and good luck in the search.

Playing: South Park, Dark Souls 2
Watching: Enemy, Network, Wer

10. Re: 7.7 Million WoW Subs Jul 26, 2013, 10:42 Prez

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

9. Re: 7.7 Million WoW Subs Jul 26, 2013, 10:41 BitWraith

BitWraith wrote on Jul 26, 2013, 09:57:
FTP games are chiseling away at WoW. Those 600k over that quarter are a direct result of Rift going FTP. Rift is a quality game, and I doubt it will stop at 600k. WoW needs to look into a new business model.

I don't. The servers on Rift are now mostly full have have que's at peak times. As a AAA release, it's difficult to justify paying for a WoW sub when Rift offers everything for free.

8. Re: 7.7 Million WoW Subs Jul 26, 2013, 10:40 Frijoles

599,999. I went to GW2.

7. Re: 7.7 Million WoW Subs Jul 26, 2013, 10:37 dj LiTh

BitWraith wrote on Jul 26, 2013, 09:57:
FTP games are chiseling away at WoW. Those 600k over that quarter are a direct result of Rift going FTP. Rift is a quality game, and I doubt it will stop at 600k. WoW needs to look into a new business model.

6. Re: 7.7 Million WoW Subs Jul 26, 2013, 10:15 InBlack

Vanilla WoW was pretty cool for an MMO. (once the launch bugs were ironed out). Right now I cant fathom why people are still playing it though, it doesnt look fun.  

I have a nifty blue line!

5. Re: 7.7 Million WoW Subs Jul 26, 2013, 09:58 MoonSpook

Well while it doesn't state in this particular loss of subs, the last drop was mainly in the East - where F2P MMOs are king, and they've specifically said they're (at least initially) aiming the buff items at that market. Also consider how they changed the game over there to have separate raid lockouts again for 10- and 25-player raids, because they wanted that.

To me it sounds like they're just trying to adapt to the Eastern MMO market as it's pretty different to the West, to lose as few subs as possible.

4. Re: 7.7 Million WoW Subs Jul 26, 2013, 09:57 BitWraith

3. Re: 7.7 Million WoW Subs Jul 26, 2013, 09:37 Verno

Err, WoW doesn't have to be dead but come on, they've bled what, over 4 million subscribers in the past 3 years? The quarter to quarter losses are significant enough for shareholders to have major cause for concern. I think its remarkable they retained consumers as long as they did but its getting close to time for something new, whether its a new business model or just a new game. It's much better for them to get out in front of a trend than just watch it happen.

I just hope people leaving the game aren't so burnt out on MMOs that they won't try another, I guess that's where F2P comes in handy.

Playing: South Park, Dark Souls 2
Watching: Enemy, Network, Wer

2. Re: 7.7 Million WoW Subs Jul 26, 2013, 09:35 nin

Kajetan wrote on Jul 26, 2013, 09:32:
In before "WoW is dead, DEAD!!!":

Every other MMO company wishes they have only half of that paying (!) player numbers ...

Very true. But I can't say I like the continued push towards monitization...but then again, I quit years ago, and I've come to the conclusion they've long since past the part of the game I liked, and with constant changes, it will never feel that same way again.

Sad, but oh well...was fun while it lasted.

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

1. Re: 7.7 Million WoW Subs Jul 26, 2013, 09:32 Kajetan

In before "WoW is dead, DEAD!!!":

Every other MMO company wishes they have only half of that paying (!) player numbers ...

37 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo