Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

7.7 Million WoW Subs

A note in the announcement of Activision Blizzard's stock buyback from Vivendi offers the latest subscriber numbers for World of Warcraft. The last census for the game put the playerbase at 8.3 million, and word is they have lost about 600K of them since then: "Blizzard Entertainment’s World of Warcraft® remained the world’s #1 subscription-based MMORPG, ending the quarter with approximately 7.7 million subscribers."

View
37 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

37. Re: 7.7 Million WoW Subs Jul 30, 2013, 03:53 s1mon75

deqer wrote on Jul 26, 2013, 11:50:
Kajetan wrote on Jul 26, 2013, 09:32:
Every other MMO company wishes they have only half of that paying (!) player numbers ...
It's not hard. You just have to put your heart into it, and build a your own engine and do it right(which takes time/money); rather effortlessly/cheaply buying a pre-made engine (from someone else) and customizing it.

Much like Star Wars Galaxies, because that went really well ....

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

36. Re: 7.7 Million WoW Subs Jul 28, 2013, 23:27 Ant

Steele Johnson wrote on Jul 27, 2013, 01:14:
I bet WoW will never die... in your lifetime.
Will it go ever F2P in my lifetime?

Ant @ The Ant Farm: http://antfarm.ma.cx and Ant's Quality Foraged Links: http://aqfl.net ...

35. Re: 7.7 Million WoW Subs Jul 27, 2013, 01:14 Steele Johnson

I bet WoW will never die... in your lifetime.  

34. Re: 7.7 Million WoW Subs Jul 26, 2013, 23:41 NKD

Prez wrote on Jul 26, 2013, 22:17:

I said it is beyond my comprehension, so why are you trying make me comprehend????

It is impermissible to flail in willful ignorance!!

If you don't like where gaming is heading, stop giving your money to the people who are taking it in that direction.

33. Re: 7.7 Million WoW Subs Jul 26, 2013, 22:17 Prez

NKD wrote on Jul 26, 2013, 11:13:

Prez wrote on Jul 26, 2013, 10:42:
That's ridiculously high for a game that old. Why anyone in the world would STILL be willing to pay 15 bucks a month to play this is simply beyond my comprehension.

15 dollars isn't much if it's the only MMO you're paying for. Especially if it eats up your time and keeps you from buying other titles. And not everyone playing, not even the majority, are old school players. Most have only been playing for a couple years and haven't really had the burn out hit yet. WoW has insane churn. When I last played, no one on my friends list from before 2009-2010 or so played anymore.

If you look at these 7.7 million subs as being most people late to the game, it's more understandable as to why they are still playing.

I said it is beyond my comprehension, so why are you trying make me comprehend????

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

32. Re: 7.7 Million WoW Subs Jul 26, 2013, 18:25 Blackhawk

Put these numbers a different way:

If Joe Developer launched subscription MMO #758 today, and ended up with 7.7 million subscribers, the game would be considered wildly successful.

BitWraith wrote on Jul 26, 2013, 15:19:
FTP games are successful. WoW is trending downwards. Blizzard is run by smart people, they are talking about this, I promise you.

Absolutely. Blizzard has been talking about it for years. I remember reading quotes from them on it back when their subscriptions were still climbing like mad. They are well aware that the popularity of games waxes and wanes, and they took that into account.

Back when Wrath was first announced they said that they planned to take the game to around level 100, by which time they expected that WoW's decline would be well underway, and while they'd maintain and patch WoW, they'd focus their development efforts on other projects (presumably Titan.)

31. Re: 7.7 Million WoW Subs Jul 26, 2013, 17:28 Cutter

I wonder what the ratio of subs being dropped is NA/Europe vs. Asia. The lion share of people quitting must be the former. You'd expect this to only escalate in the next year or two.

"Nobody wants to be nobody in America. Ed is the apotheosis of a prevailing American syndrome. It used to be that someone became famous because they were special. Now people are considered special just for being famous. Fame, itself, is its own virtue.

30. Re: 7.7 Million WoW Subs Jul 26, 2013, 16:07 NewMaxx

That's ridiculously high for a game that old. Why anyone in the world would STILL be willing to pay 15 bucks a month to play this is simply beyond my comprehension.

I think the mindset is based around content creation vs. content consumption. The old adage is that you can never create content fast enough to satisfy your entire player-base. It's a matter of time and cost. A fair analogy would be TV shows. How many times have you found a new show and then proceeded to blow through it in its entirety after like one week? It's simply not possible to produce enough episodes to keep up with a focused viewer.

So after many years of game-building, you have this massive world that's doubled, tripled, perhaps quadrupled in size. That's a lot more content for the same general price. No doubt a new player or returning player subs for a month and blows through it quickly, not unlike the TV analogy. That's better value for the money than the person who paid the same for just the vanilla game many years ago. So, it becomes more like an expanding amusement park where ticket prices remain the same.

At the same time, people want different things from their game. Some want to stand out with their costumes, some want bling, some want to power through the game, etc., and you start getting these item shops and real money options. The subscription model feels less and less realistic. Yet there are many niche games that succeed with a subscription and the fact is you can survive with far fewer subscribers if they consume money in the game, as well.

These ideas actually come from mobility, where you have things like in-app purchases. Some of these games are free up-front, some aren't, but mobility is different than the PC platform, especially for old games. WoW has been around long enough that it's in a transition period between the two models and it's trying to maximize both. Will it last? Well, as I said, it's content, and if more and more of the content is nickel and dime customized stuff, the subscription will have to fade away.

29. Re: 7.7 Million WoW Subs Jul 26, 2013, 15:19 BitWraith

NKD wrote on Jul 26, 2013, 14:02:
PropheT wrote on Jul 26, 2013, 13:16:
dj LiTh wrote on Jul 26, 2013, 10:37:
BitWraith wrote on Jul 26, 2013, 09:57:
FTP games are chiseling away at WoW. Those 600k over that quarter are a direct result of Rift going FTP. Rift is a quality game, and I doubt it will stop at 600k. WoW needs to look into a new business model.

Somehow i doubt rift gained 600k subs directly from wow.

Have you logged on recently? The game is full even at 2am lately. Not that I'm saying all 600k directly came from WoW, but the influx of people was huge, and they had to come from somewhere.

They may have come from WoW at some point, there are tens of millions of ex-WoW players to choose from, after all, and Rift just went free to play.

I'm guessing most of the people who just joined Rift haven't played WoW in years.

Maybe. But, it doesn't take a rocket scientist to put together:

1. Huge increase in Rift Players.

2. Large decrease in WoW subscribers.

FTP games are successful. WoW is trending downwards. Blizzard is run by smart people, they are talking about this, I promise you.

28. Re: 7.7 Million WoW Subs Jul 26, 2013, 14:53 Fion

I know they keep saying most of these loses are in the east. But they have to explain why I have friends pleading for me to return so they can have more people to raid with and that dozens or more of the US servers are all but dead. At some point Blizz is going to have to acknowledge this and do some form of consolidation.  

27. Re: 7.7 Million WoW Subs Jul 26, 2013, 14:49 xXBatmanXx

yawn  

Buy from GreenManGaming? Use this, we both get $2.00 - http://www.greenmangaming.com/?gmgr=purutuwi

26. Re: 7.7 Million WoW Subs Jul 26, 2013, 14:20 Agent.X7

LittleMe wrote on Jul 26, 2013, 11:13:

This. Old games aren't worth as much.

Up until a couple of years ago people were still paying to play the original Everquest. We're talking over decade of subs. I really don't see AB giving up the sub fees if they don't have to, and they don't.

I just can't force myself to finish Pandaria. It took me months to even start it, and then I couldn't be bothered to play for more than a month. Rift is fun once in a while, and GW2 sucks up a lot of my MMO time. I'm not really into any other MMOs on the horizon until EQNExt. (Just because I beta'd the original EQ, played EQII, and am curious to see what they will do.)

Origin - JStarX7
STEAM - Agent.X7
PSN - JStar_X7
Xbox Live - Agent X7

25. Re: 7.7 Million WoW Subs Jul 26, 2013, 14:02 NKD

PropheT wrote on Jul 26, 2013, 13:16:
FTP games are chiseling away at WoW. Those 600k over that quarter are a direct result of Rift going FTP. Rift is a quality game, and I doubt it will stop at 600k. WoW needs to look into a new business model.

Have you logged on recently? The game is full even at 2am lately. Not that I'm saying all 600k directly came from WoW, but the influx of people was huge, and they had to come from somewhere.

They may have come from WoW at some point, there are tens of millions of ex-WoW players to choose from, after all, and Rift just went free to play.

I'm guessing most of the people who just joined Rift haven't played WoW in years.

If you don't like where gaming is heading, stop giving your money to the people who are taking it in that direction.

24. Re: 7.7 Million WoW Subs Jul 26, 2013, 13:48 KS

The last time I played was before they forced you to convert your login to a Battle.net login. Even then the last 8 months was almost solid PvP. I had almost gotten from 50 to 60 doing PvP abouy 80% (there are some "creeps" in some battlegrounds, plus I ran the wilds looking helpless).

Even then I tried to reactivate a year ago but the Herculean hoops to get through their login conversion process involving multiple rounds of faxing IDs, I finally gave up.

23. Re: 7.7 Million WoW Subs Jul 26, 2013, 13:26 deqer

Xero wrote on Jul 26, 2013, 12:10:
Maybe, I'll reinstall WoW once it goes free to play...

On second thought, not a chance, lol.
Yah, don't invest your time into something that you know is going to "change" (with the uncertainty that it changes for the better or for the worse) with or without your consent.

There's just nothing of value about a game that continuously changes it's mechanics; mechanics you'd become familiar to all those years.

22. Re: 7.7 Million WoW Subs Jul 26, 2013, 13:16 PropheT

As a side note, it's worth pointing out again that 7.7 million subscribers that they list aren't all $15 subscribers. A very large number of WoW players are in eastern markets that don't play monthly subs, and they've always been rolled into that same big number that gets tossed out.

21. Re: 7.7 Million WoW Subs Jul 26, 2013, 12:24 Panickd

They lost 600k subscribers in a couple months? Wow! No pun intended.  

20. Re: 7.7 Million WoW Subs Jul 26, 2013, 12:18 Gadzooks

The only thing that is killing WoW, is old age at this point. Those of us that left WoW due to game/class/rule/system changes left a long time ago already.

And at 7.7 mil subs, you could hardly call it "Being killed". Its more like a slow, drawn out, unwanted stay at the retirement home.

19. Re: 7.7 Million WoW Subs Jul 26, 2013, 12:10 Xero

Maybe, I'll reinstall WoW once it goes free to play...

On second thought, not a chance, lol.

Currently playing: Skyrim

18. Re: 7.7 Million WoW Subs Jul 26, 2013, 11:50 deqer

Kajetan wrote on Jul 26, 2013, 09:32:
Every other MMO company wishes they have only half of that paying (!) player numbers ...
It's not hard. You just have to put your heart into it, and build a your own engine and do it right(which takes time/money); rather effortlessly/cheaply buying a pre-made engine (from someone else) and customizing it.

37 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo