Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Morning Consolidation

View
28 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

28. Re: Morning Consolidation Jul 28, 2013, 14:20 Redmask

Panickd wrote on Jul 26, 2013, 19:06:
The only people who really bought the hype on the Ouya were fools. And you know what they say about fools and their money...

It is unfair to blame the consumer for a company making grandiose promises and failing to deliver. Consumers have a right to some expectation of a product that delivers on what it advertises.

Both parties share some responsibility but saying its all the consumers fault for buying a product with the expectation that it would be what a company said is pretty ridiculous.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

27. Re: Morning Consolidation Jul 26, 2013, 19:06 Panickd

Verno wrote on Jul 26, 2013, 13:41:
Panickd wrote on Jul 26, 2013, 13:34:
That's called marketing. I don't think you can forgive people if they're too dumb to understand that. We do live in a capitalist world after all and every company lies about their product to make it look like hot shit in a champagne glass when we should all know by now that what we're going to get is cold diarrhea in a Dixie cup.

None of which excuses it and I do think people can absolutely be forgiven for not doing extensive research on a $100 product. Maybe their expectations should be lower and they should be more dubious as a result. Either way though it seems fair to point out that despite the indie angle they still tried to paint themselves as a true console competitor and share in the creation of those expectations.

And how should they have marketed it then? "Our console is just OK but it's nothing compared to a real console"? I'm sure people would have just been throwing money at them then!

Every new flagship phone that gets released gets advertised as the "best phone ever" even though it's new features are things no one in their right mind would ever use and all it truly amounts to is a CPU speed bump. Every truck manufacturer in the US claims it's trucks are "the best selling" in America and the "longest lasting". I've even heard two different car makers now claiming to have the "only" car on Car and Driver's 10 best list a record number of times! It's called marketing. Is it right? Questionably. Does it work? Undoubtedly! If it didn't they wouldn't do it. Remember, "There's a sucker born every minute!"

The only people who really bought the hype on the Ouya were fools. And you know what they say about fools and their money...

26. Re: Morning Consolidation Jul 26, 2013, 18:59 Axis

Beamer, you do have a comprehension problem. I've stated it will succeed on the metrics everyone uses -- software sales, hardware sales, adoption, etc and most importantly time.

I classified it a success based on the fact it was a successful open source kickstarter that does what it was advertised to do, with a whole lot possibilities in the future.

I may successfully run touch down after touchdown in a game, and still be unsuccessful at winning the game.

Could I be wrong? Of course. Difference is I'll admit it if I am. But I'm not the type to stand on the sidelines and play it safe with my opinions.

Yours truly,

Axis

25. Re: Morning Consolidation Jul 26, 2013, 18:26 Beamer

Axis wrote on Jul 26, 2013, 17:40:
I'm sure everyone would love to peg brand new hardware within a month of release, but I think most of us are wise enough to know.

You're the only one "pegging" it. No one here is calling it a success or a failure other than you.

We just think its abilities were vastly overstated.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

24. Re: Morning Consolidation Jul 26, 2013, 17:40 Axis

Glad you guys think of me so often

I'm sure everyone would love to peg brand new hardware within a month of release, but I think most of us are wise enough to know.

Also you'd be foolish to see software sales as the barometer for success, at least not initially, and especially not for a brand new hardware IP that is based on Open Source tech. Forgetting that the 'non mainstream' community are doing the things I'm doing -- sideloading, hacking, modding, etc. which require no purchase of any Ouya exclusive games. Mainstream pretty much don't even know what the Ouya is yet.

I'll be glad to say I'm wrong -- WHEN I'm wrong. But thinking the game is over... you're being more naive than I am hopeful.

Yours truly,

Axis

23. Re: Morning Consolidation Jul 26, 2013, 17:28 Redmask

73% of system owners have bought nothing at all despite them forcing you to put in a CC with the system which spurs impulse buys in customers. Wow, harsh. Somehow I doubt they will be making millions by the end of the year like Julie claimed.  

22. Re: Morning Consolidation Jul 26, 2013, 16:49 CrimsonPaw

NewMaxx wrote on Jul 26, 2013, 15:54:
I have to say, based on how well Google's Chromecast is doing, you might very well be right. People keep saying, what about Apple TV, Google TV, Roku, Android TV sticks, etc., and yet the Chromecast sold well above expectations. The device isn't really novel, it just packs several nice features together in an affordable package and slaps Google's name on it...and an open gaming console with those same features would likely be as much of a hit.
I don't quite agree - I think the driving force behind the Chromecast is its price point; under $40 for a streamer almost turns it to an impulse buy. I think there's a lot of people, like me, who want a streamer but are just too cheap to buy one. This will allow me to keep my lazy ass on the couch when the wife wants me to find the episode of Hart of Dixie that didn't record. If the Chromecast came in above $50 I don't think it would be in as high demand. Just my $.02

~~Crim~~

21. Re: Morning Consolidation Jul 26, 2013, 15:54 NewMaxx

Jivaro wrote on Jul 26, 2013, 10:38:
If it had been called the "Goodle Ouya" instead of being some indy kickstarter project I think it might have done much better.

I have to say, based on how well Google's Chromecast is doing, you might very well be right. People keep saying, what about Apple TV, Google TV, Roku, Android TV sticks, etc., and yet the Chromecast sold well above expectations. The device isn't really novel, it just packs several nice features together in an affordable package and slaps Google's name on it...and an open gaming console with those same features would likely be as much of a hit.

People like novel things if the right price and name are attached to it. I remember the Nintendo Wii selling like hotcakes. Yet really it depends so greatly on the competitive market. The Ouya is going up against a current gen that has huge libraries and sufficient power along with dropping prices versus the high-end new generation, not to mention pushes in mobile gaming. It really needs more power (Tegra 3 just doesn't cut it) and like you say, tack on the Google name. Would sell like Chromecast, guaranteed.

20. Re: Morning Consolidation Jul 26, 2013, 14:13 Julio

Maybe that's why Microsoft has made the Xbox One not about gaming at all I'm still calling Ouya>Xbone...and I plan to have neither.  

19. Re: Morning Consolidation Jul 26, 2013, 13:41 Verno

Panickd wrote on Jul 26, 2013, 13:34:
That's called marketing. I don't think you can forgive people if they're too dumb to understand that. We do live in a capitalist world after all and every company lies about their product to make it look like hot shit in a champagne glass when we should all know by now that what we're going to get is cold diarrhea in a Dixie cup.

None of which excuses it and I do think people can absolutely be forgiven for not doing extensive research on a $100 product. Maybe their expectations should be lower and they should be more dubious as a result. Either way though it seems fair to point out that despite the indie angle they still tried to paint themselves as a true console competitor and share in the creation of those expectations.

27% is pretty high actually. Higher than I would have expected. Almost 1/3 of Ooya buyers are doing more with it than loading up their existing apps or just emulating crap.

The problem is that their business model is not selling the hardware, it's taking a cut on software sales. That's why its a problem and they need more capital to keep shipping more consoles, they claim they want to iterate yearly on the hardware base.

This comment was edited on Jul 26, 2013, 13:51.

Playing: Dragon Age Inquisition, Far Cry 4, This War of Mine
Watching: The Walking Dead, The Fall, As Above So Below

18. Re: Morning Consolidation Jul 26, 2013, 13:41 saluk

27% is pretty high actually. Higher than I would have expected. Almost 1/3 of Ooya buyers are doing more with it than loading up their existing apps or just emulating crap.

It's waaaay too early to call it a success or failure, but I don't get why you guys are laughing at the number like it's really bad. It's different than say when someone buys a mainstream console, and the first thing they do is buy a game - because that's the only way to get content on it.

I have had android phones for years and have yet to purchase more than a few apps. The games on Ooya that are worth money are making money - maybe less than they should, which could be considered a failure.

But anyway. Ooya, pretty much working as intended/expected.

17. Re: Morning Consolidation Jul 26, 2013, 13:34 Panickd

Verno wrote on Jul 26, 2013, 12:47:
Nothing about the Ouya is all that surprising. It was never going to compete with the heavy hitters and anyone who seriously thought it would was either delusional or just stupid.

Of course not but that's not how they portrayed it to people so some people can be forgiven for buying into it with that idea.

PropheT wrote on Jul 26, 2013, 13:23:
Panickd wrote on Jul 26, 2013, 12:18:
On the flipside of the coin, it costs as much as a Roku and is capable of everything the Roku is and more. You can pipe YouTube, Netflix, Twitch, etc. to your TV and it plays games on top of that. It's like a better Apple TV!

Huh, I didn't even know it did that (although I've never really looked, either). That might explain why nobody is buying it for the games, I guess; I can't think of any other reason why people that own it wouldn't even bother to try a single one.

Since you can sideload apps onto it pretty much anything that is out there for Android devices works to some extent on the Ouya. And since it's an open platform that's as cheap as it is it was a given that people were going to buy it for reasons other than gaming.

16. Re: Morning Consolidation Jul 26, 2013, 13:34 Cutter

You mean people are having buyers remorse over blowing $100 on something that they can play the same games on the phones and tablets with?! Gasp! Quel surpise!

Ucrazy

"Bye weeks? Bronko Nagurski didn't get no bye weeks, and now he's deadů Well, maybe they're a good thing." - Moe

15. Re: Morning Consolidation Jul 26, 2013, 13:23 PropheT

Panickd wrote on Jul 26, 2013, 12:18:
On the flipside of the coin, it costs as much as a Roku and is capable of everything the Roku is and more. You can pipe YouTube, Netflix, Twitch, etc. to your TV and it plays games on top of that. It's like a better Apple TV!

Huh, I didn't even know it did that (although I've never really looked, either). That might explain why nobody is buying it for the games, I guess; I can't think of any other reason why people that own it wouldn't even bother to try a single one.

14. Re: Morning Consolidation Jul 26, 2013, 12:47 Verno

Nothing about the Ouya is all that surprising. It was never going to compete with the heavy hitters and anyone who seriously thought it would was either delusional or just stupid.

Of course not but that's not how they portrayed it to people so some people can be forgiven for buying into it with that idea.

13. Re: Morning Consolidation Jul 26, 2013, 12:19 Jivaro

Those are indeed fair points Verno. I tend to think that they had to aim high to get in the race, but that doesn't excuse making promises they knew wouldn't happen. For example, I have no problem with them trying to place themselves on the shelves with Sony or MS, and I have no problem with them saying certain AAA titles are possible with the Ouya. I would have reservations about using specific titles, like a Minecraft that has been successful on both mobile and console platforms, when there isn't already a deal in place to make sure that it will actually come to the Ouya.

This comment was edited on Jul 26, 2013, 12:37.

12. Re: Morning Consolidation Jul 26, 2013, 12:18 Panickd

Nothing about the Ouya is all that surprising. It was never going to compete with the heavy hitters and anyone who seriously thought it would was either delusional or just stupid. The fact that it's completely unlocked and you can sideload apps onto it probably hurts sales but I can't imagine it hurts them that much. The Ouya was always going to be a device where if you were developing an Android game anyway and it would work well with a controller you would move it onto the Ouya just because.

11. Re: Morning Consolidation Jul 26, 2013, 11:55 Verno

Jivaro wrote on Jul 26, 2013, 11:42:
I find it to be unjust because this whole situation is basically the textbook example of why a small company can't get into the console hardware business without a mega-corporation of some sort bankrolling them. They can't just make the hardware and let it ride, they have to make software too. The folks behind Ouya, as you correctly pointed out, aren't doing that. They can't. They have other problems with the business model, but this is the big one.

I don't know, I see what you're saying but they had other options here too. Why is there no big indie hitters on the Ouya? Minecraft? Terraria? There are options and they actually were a bit shady in name dropping some of them pre-release but nothing ever seems to have come of it.

They also seemed quite happy to foster the idea that they were going to compete with the big names in the industry and that this is a true competitor, so I'm totally unsympathetic to the whole "but but its just an indie box!", its them trying to have their cake and eat it too.

I think it does suck that game development and manufacturing are so expensive and that it's tough for smaller players to break into it but I don't think that's the sole cause of Ouya staggering out of the gate.

10. Re: Morning Consolidation Jul 26, 2013, 11:42 Jivaro

Verno wrote on Jul 26, 2013, 11:03:
Why?

It does exactly what they it would do. Adding demands like "first party games" is unrealistic given the origins of this hardware. Had it been a Google (or Valve) project with a bunch of money behind it, that changes. So basically, your criticisms are completely valid but they also prove my point. I find it to be unjust because this whole situation is basically the textbook example of why a small company can't get into the console hardware business without a mega-corporation of some sort bankrolling them. They can't just make the hardware and let it ride, they have to make software too. The folks behind Ouya, as you correctly pointed out, aren't doing that. They can't. They have other problems with the business model, but this is the big one.

This situation shows a glaring weakness in Kickstarter hardware projects. Why are 73% of the people that bought a Ouya not investing anymore money in it? (buying games) I loved the concept, I didn't Kickstart it. Why? Because I saw where this was going. Not just the first party games issue either. I also didn't see how getting into a market that revolves around quick mobile games worked for a device that wasn't mobile. A bunch of other people read the business model and concept, got all excited, Kickstarted it, and now they are bailing out even though the Ouya is exactly what it said it would be. I find that interesting and a bit sad.

On a different note, perhaps someone here can clear something up for me so I don't actually have to put any effort into finding the answer. (lol?) If I buy a game on Google Play currently, I can load it on any Android device I own. For example, I own a great little shooter called Plasma Sky that I primarily play on my SG3, but I can also play it on a tablet. My question is this: Can I play it on the Ouya without re-purchasing it? Are people not buying games for Ouya because they are simply loading up their existing library or is that not how it works? Since I didn't buy one, I am unclear on this particular part of the concept.

This comment was edited on Jul 26, 2013, 12:21.

9. Re: Morning Consolidation Jul 26, 2013, 11:13 Wallshadows

I wonder what the Virtual Boy numbers would have been? Mine came with Mario Tennis and then I threw the whole damn thing in the closet.

I should have known it was a trap when it was marked down to $30 from $200! Damn you Zellers!

28 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo