Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Hardware Reviews

View
3 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

3. Re: Hardware Reviews Jul 26, 2013, 16:19 theglaze

PHJF wrote on Jul 26, 2013, 14:55:
I have an MSI GTX 460. Cool and quiet. Branding doesn't matter so much to a graphics card since it's all pretty much just custom clocks and coolers.

That's half the story.

Manufactures like MSI will sometimes deviate from the OEM layout and components in order to save costs, often using lesser quality capacitors/resistors that meet the nvidia requirements but not much beyond. Just look at some naked GTX 770 or 760 cards and you'll see that they are not all the same, and in fact, differ quite a bit.

It's far easier to find these discrepancies in quality with a motherboard because of all the functions it provides, and numerous ways to test and benchmark each one.

Kudos to Mad Shrimps, you've gained another follower.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

2. Re: Hardware Reviews Jul 26, 2013, 14:55 PHJF

I have an MSI GTX 460. Cool and quiet. Branding doesn't matter so much to a graphics card since it's all pretty much just custom clocks and coolers.  

Steam + PSN: PHJF

1. Re: Hardware Reviews Jul 26, 2013, 11:43 theglaze

It's been a while since I read a hardware rant like that. I've also avoided MSI products for years, but took the plunge on a GTX 570 a couple years ago which failed, twice.

I'm not surprised a high-end MSI product is failing, I am surprised they even attempted it.

leeghoofd wrote:
EDITOR RANT: This article is not meant to put a certain brand in a bad daylight. However the numerous reviews on the Z87 XPOWER I read, are totally lacking credibility. Impossible that they properly tested or analysed. Probably some 2 hour testing done by an automated system, pushing out results straight into an Excel file. Good job ! NOT !

If you want to buy a board based on looks and onboard gimmicks then you find more then what you are looking for on the multiple photo, hardware spec listing review sites out there. However at Madshrimps we publish also the not so pretty facts, not some bla bla wrapped in a nice shell. This particular board is designed for OverClocking, yet fails to live up to that label. Hence why articles as these should thrive the Bios engineers to get things sorted ASAP. If one has to pay 340 euros for a semi working motherboard, how miserable would you feel if you found out the truth, that brand B was cheaper, faster and more user friendly.

My main concern is not with the board as it's clearly evolving in the right direction, but the BS reviews which are posted on a regular basis. Lately all hardware is Good, a Must Buy, Great or Recommended. Get a life dear collegue reviewers and dare to be honest with your readers. That is where your focus should be really at !

Your job is not to please the manufacturers, but to inform your readers !

3 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo