Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Out of the Blue

Today we are enjoying one of the nightmares of home ownership, as we are having our roof replaced. This is costing a small fortune that could be better put to use on things like staving off homelessness or starvation, but apparently it was at the point where it was going to become a problem (as it is, we find random shingles on our lawn on a daily basis). It's just such an unsatisfying expenditure: We have no leaks, and we don't really see the roof in its current state, and will not see it in its new state either, so we just have to take comfort in knowing that it won't be a problem going forward. And that the guy who owns the roofing company is enjoying his swimming pool.

Links: Thanks Ant and Acleacius.
Play: Mine It.
Evoland.
Links: Half-Life 2 Zero Point Energy Field Manipulator Replica.
Stories: Luxury cruise fails surprise health inspection. No surprise. Thanks Boing Boing.
Dogs help soldiers cope with stress of war. Thanks Boing Boing.
Media: Dungeons & Dragons (With Siri).
Bleep Bloop: Playboy Mansion. NSFW.

View
19 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

19. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 28, 2013, 23:09 Ant

Hoop wrote on Jul 26, 2013, 16:58:
Get a satalitte picture of your new roof & it set it as wallpaper on all your devices.
Pay some kid with an RC helicopter & camera attached to buzz the roof taking photos then decorate the house with huge framed shots.
Make christmas cards from said photos from & send them off to family & friends.
Throw one of his dogs up there with a camera.

Ant @ The Ant Farm: http://antfarm.ma.cx and Ant's Quality Foraged Links: http://aqfl.net ...
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

18. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 28, 2013, 23:08 Ant

I remember when my old house's shingle wood roof needed to be replaced (could see light holes like stars at night). Dang, it was messy. I was glad I was in school to avoid that. However, it messed up my ant nests in the garage.  

Ant @ The Ant Farm: http://antfarm.ma.cx and Ant's Quality Foraged Links: http://aqfl.net ...

17. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 26, 2013, 18:22 Mashiki Amiketo

Cutter wrote on Jul 26, 2013, 16:56:
Surely science has to be more advanced by now than slate or tar paper and asphalt shingles. What about some kind of polyurethane sealant that would make it not only waterproof but would aid in rain and snow sliding off the roof. At least a spray on roof would be way faster and cheaper. If there isn't someone needs to kick some scientists in the ass and get them working on it!
Yeah, they went back to sealed metal slatting roofs.

--
"For every human problem,
there is a neat, simple solution;
and it is always wrong."
--H.L. Mencken

16. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 26, 2013, 16:58 Hoop

Get a satalitte picture of your new roof & it set it as wallpaper on all your devices.
Pay some kid with an RC helicopter & camera attached to buzz the roof taking photos then decorate the house with huge framed shots.
Make christmas cards from said photos from & send them off to family & friends.

Um .. Behind you...

15. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 26, 2013, 16:56 Cutter

Enahs wrote on Jul 26, 2013, 14:24:
Cutter wrote on Jul 26, 2013, 13:44:

I've always wondered if there was a better way to build roofs on standard homes as to preclude maintenance entirely or minimize if for extreme periods. It's always seemed to me that the roofing industry does its best to ensure that they're never out of work.

If you do not live in the north where you get water that freezes and damages roofs, or on the coast where you have hurricanes and sideways water, i.e. in the south, or central region of the US, roofs can easily last 30-40 years if you use good quality material and it is installed correctly.

Surely science has to be more advanced by now than slate or tar paper and asphalt shingles. What about some kind of polyurethane sealant that would make it not only waterproof but would aid in rain and snow sliding off the roof. At least a spray on roof would be way faster and cheaper. If there isn't someone needs to kick some scientists in the ass and get them working on it!

James Woods: Oh that's fun. That sounds like you had a fun time. Where would I fit in with the fun time, huh? Where does James Woods fit into the fun?

14. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 26, 2013, 16:15 Cabezone

Apartment living is highly variable depending on where you're living. I've been at my current apartment for 5+ years now and it's mostly excellent. I have washer/dryer hookups, thick walls so I never hear my neighbors, unless there's a weekend party going on or something. It's mostly young families in my complex so it's pretty quite.

As opposed to my friends in the SF Bay area who mostly hate their apartments.

"Pants! Pants! Pants!"

13. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 26, 2013, 15:44 Armengar

TThey do if you have accidental damage covering diy whilst you were up scaffolding repairing guttering.if you happen to cause lots of damage to the roof (which wasnt in great condition) then yes, insurance does pay out.

At least in the uk it did...

Its not the cough that carries you off but the coffin they carry you off in.

12. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 26, 2013, 14:24 Enahs

Cutter wrote on Jul 26, 2013, 13:44:

I've always wondered if there was a better way to build roofs on standard homes as to preclude maintenance entirely or minimize if for extreme periods. It's always seemed to me that the roofing industry does its best to ensure that they're never out of work.

If you do not live in the north where you get water that freezes and damages roofs, or on the coast where you have hurricanes and sideways water, i.e. in the south, or central region of the US, roofs can easily last 30-40 years if you use good quality material and it is installed correctly.

I am free of all prejudice. I hate everyone equally.
- W. C. Fields

11. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 26, 2013, 14:21 Enahs

Blue, it is quite possible your home owners insurance will pay for it, or pay for part of it. It protects them from having to pay out large claim fees in the event of major water damage.  

I am free of all prejudice. I hate everyone equally.
- W. C. Fields

10. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 26, 2013, 14:17 jdreyer

If anyone has seen The Conjuring, here's an interesting interview with the author of the book. The author is one of the children who lived through the actual events. It's funny that she says they had to tone down the movie from the actual events in the book, and it's still one of the scariest movies of the year.  

"It's just a bunch of mystic bovine scatology to me." - 1badmf

9. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 26, 2013, 13:44 Cutter

Growing up I always lived in apartments in houses, generally basement but a nice top floor score from time to time. I've always hated apartment buildings, hated them! The noise, the smells, the lack of privacy, being surrounded by swine! It's like serving a sentence. Same reason I'd never buy a condo or a townhome. There are always better and cheaper alternatives. Getting some land throwing up a micro-home or alternative housing - no roofing and other assorted standard home issues. Doing a live aboard on a boat. Right now I'm deciding between the two what's going to be more feasible and fun, but I'm pretty good either way.

James Woods: Oh that's fun. That sounds like you had a fun time. Where would I fit in with the fun time, huh? Where does James Woods fit into the fun?

8. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 26, 2013, 12:46 Agent.X7

Ugh, I feel your pain. We're trying to sell our house right now, but the roof only has a few years left and the agents we talked to want us to replace it. Sure, we'll dump 10s of thousands into a roof that will get us a zero net on return. Oh, yeah, no.

Speaking as a homeowner who has also replaced: The furnace (ouch), the entire attic insulation (SQUIRRELS!), basement carpet (backed up drains from the flood, sweet!), our entire front yard (used to be stepped down a steep embankment but the railroad ties rotted out, of course while we owned it). We also had to remove a hottub that some genius had sunk into the office floor with no ventilation or proper wiring/drainage.

I'd still own over renting though. It's kept me from murdering any neighbors.

Origin - JStarX7
STEAM - Agent.X7
PSN - JStar_X7
Xbox Live - Agent X7

7. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 26, 2013, 12:20 NegaDeath

Speaking as a renter while the lack of maintenance makes for some nice, lazy Sundays being surrounded by noisy tenants and the fact that I'm throwing my money away makes me want to move out as soon as I can. Unfortunately house prices have tripled here (in some cases quadrupled) in the last 5 years and that's put a delay in that plan.

This comment was edited on Jul 26, 2013, 13:17.

6. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 26, 2013, 11:10 Verno

InBlack wrote on Jul 26, 2013, 10:18:
Living in an apartment building does have its perks from time to time.

True but looking back I don't miss apartment living. Potentially noisy neighbors and other silly stuff to deal, harder to have social gatherings, shared laundry facilities are often annoying and so on. Having to mow the lawn and take out the garbage isn't so bad. The big house repairs are usually few and far between.

Not having to shovel snow is pretty nifty though.

Playing: Fire Emblem, Diablo 3, Bravely Default
Watching: The Machine, After the Dark, Devils Due

5. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 26, 2013, 10:36 InBlack

Ok that Half-Life 2 gravity gun is lame....

But this:

http://www.thinkgeek.com/product/a9d5/

OMG MUST HAVE THIS HEADCRAB PILLOW! MUST. BUY. NOW!!!

I have a nifty blue line!

4. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 26, 2013, 10:29 SimplyMonk

Just bought a house two months ago and we are avidly awaiting such expenditures. It will be a race too see what can bankrupt us first. Some massive expense that the inspections didn't uncover or our two huskies dismantling the backyard and hitting a gas main or something.

Although, I guess there is a chance they could find buried treasure or oil. So here is hoping for that!

3. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 26, 2013, 10:18 InBlack

Living in an apartment building does have its perks from time to time.  

I have a nifty blue line!

2. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 26, 2013, 10:16 RoboNerd

Another nightmare, one we lived through last year, is replacing the sewer line from the house to the street. Necessary, but not really fulfilling. And to add to the fun, it was early January.  

1. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 26, 2013, 09:33 nin

This is costing a small fortune that could be better put to use on things like staving off homelessness or starvation

Or full home AC.

It's just such an unsatisfying expenditure: We have no leaks

Yeah, but (obviously) you want it fixed before there's damage to anywhere in the house.

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

19 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo