Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Gatherings & Competitions

View
7 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

7. Re: Gatherings & Competitions Jul 27, 2013, 00:38 Orogogus

Flatline wrote on Jul 26, 2013, 23:22:
Orogogus wrote on Jul 26, 2013, 19:33:
Flatline wrote on Jul 26, 2013, 18:02:
Then they started offering packs that were better than the founder packs, for cheaper... Yeah the devs bitchslapped their most dedicated customers.

I've looked at F2P games that do the opposite, and it really kills any desire to throw a single cent into a game if you're permanently worse than people who started earlier. And if the stuff at launch is better than everything afterwards I can't imagine it helps them squeeze more money from those guys, either.

Which is why you shouldn't do pay to win shit like this. You either alienate your most devoted audience or you piss off people who come in after the fact.

Sure. But by definition the devoted audience is more likely to stick around, and keep buying stuff. And it's possible that they want to see more toys added into the mix rather than beating up newbies with their founder status until the servers die. You can look at it as buying a founder's advantage for a few months instead of forever and ever. Plus you probably get a badge or something. The alternative would kill the game -- pay to win might be ugly, but pay to suck is total insanity.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

6. Re: Gatherings & Competitions Jul 26, 2013, 23:22 Flatline

Orogogus wrote on Jul 26, 2013, 19:33:
Then they started offering packs that were better than the founder packs, for cheaper... Yeah the devs bitchslapped their most dedicated customers.

I've looked at F2P games that do the opposite, and it really kills any desire to throw a single cent into a game if you're permanently worse than people who started earlier. And if the stuff at launch is better than everything afterwards I can't imagine it helps them squeeze more money from those guys, either.

Which is why you shouldn't do pay to win shit like this. You either alienate your most devoted audience or you piss off people who come in after the fact.

5. Re: Gatherings & Competitions Jul 26, 2013, 19:33 Orogogus

4. Re: Gatherings & Competitions Jul 26, 2013, 18:02 Flatline

I quit a long time ago when they introduced real money benefits that were better than anything else you could acquire in game.

3. Re: Gatherings & Competitions Jul 26, 2013, 17:06 Eirikrautha

Blue wrote on Jul 26, 2013, 09:38:
Eirikrautha wrote on Jul 26, 2013, 09:35:
Well, well, well. So the MechWarrior "community" is being asked for their input in order to help "fix" the game. How desperate must you be to have a town hall to get ideas?

This would be like the Diablo3 creators holding a town hall on how to fix their game. Answer: you can't. The basic design premise (in the case of Diablo3: RMAH, in the case of MWO: Multi only, microtrans) has limited your ability to make a fun game. Your design is based on balancing fun versus money... and the balance sucks. The only way to fix it is through reducing the money side so that the fun side is larger... and no company on the planet is going to lower the MONEY side (especially when they are already hurting).

I wanted to like MWO... I really did. But what I (and I believe most other MW fans) wanted was a single player game with a good story, and decent multiplayer SECOND! Not a multiplayer only grindfest... Is MWO willing to go that far (the answer is obviously no...)?

If my understanding is correct, no one asked the community for this feedback, the community is asking that their voices be heard.
Ahhhhh! OK. That's even more depressing. The first step in any recovery program is admitting you have a problem, and MWO isn't even there yet...

2. Re: Gatherings & Competitions Jul 26, 2013, 09:38  Blue 

Eirikrautha wrote on Jul 26, 2013, 09:35:
Well, well, well. So the MechWarrior "community" is being asked for their input in order to help "fix" the game. How desperate must you be to have a town hall to get ideas?

This would be like the Diablo3 creators holding a town hall on how to fix their game. Answer: you can't. The basic design premise (in the case of Diablo3: RMAH, in the case of MWO: Multi only, microtrans) has limited your ability to make a fun game. Your design is based on balancing fun versus money... and the balance sucks. The only way to fix it is through reducing the money side so that the fun side is larger... and no company on the planet is going to lower the MONEY side (especially when they are already hurting).

I wanted to like MWO... I really did. But what I (and I believe most other MW fans) wanted was a single player game with a good story, and decent multiplayer SECOND! Not a multiplayer only grindfest... Is MWO willing to go that far (the answer is obviously no...)?

If my understanding is correct, no one asked the community for this feedback, the community is asking that their voices be heard.

Stephen "Blue" Heaslip
Blue's News Publisher, Editor-in-Chief, El Presidente for Life

1. Re: Gatherings & Competitions Jul 26, 2013, 09:35 Eirikrautha

7 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo