Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

More Steam Greenlights

The Steam Greenlight page announces 16 new titles have been greenlit by the Steam community (simply posting this to the main Steam News could be one of the improvements to the Greenlight system Valve says they hope to make). Here's word on the 14 games (two of them are apps) this adds to the service:

View
7 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

7. Re: More Steam Greenlights Jul 27, 2013, 14:15 Quboid

ViRGE wrote on Jul 26, 2013, 00:17:
Quboid wrote on Jul 25, 2013, 20:44:
I'm quite impressed by how Valve have made a system whereby gamers do all the work of figuring out what's good and advertising the games for free. I know it's genuinely a big deal for small indie devs to get Greenlit so I don't want to be 100% cynical but damn, Valve are getting themselves a pretty good deal.
I'm afraid you have that backwards. Games have to do all the advertising before they get greenlit. Virtually no one votes on a game by going through Greenlight looking through games (there's simply too many of them and no real ability to filter them); they are directed there by the developer.

Now it's a nice bout of free advertising after you've been greenlit. But the amount of advertising needed to make it to this point may just as well be equal to how much advertising indies had to do before Greenlight.

It doesn't matter to Valve when or where the advertising happens, it contributes to sales and them getting their slice. I presume this is communities attached to the developers, fans of their work, who basically do grass roots campaigning for it. The cynic in me thinks that Valve are well aware of how they get people to find and advertise games while they take their cut *and* look like good guys for helping the indie community.

It's a good system and I'm not trying to knock Valve. It does help the indie community and it's helped me find games I wouldn't have otherwise. I respect the acumen shown by Valve, that's all.

- Quboid
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

6. Re: More Steam Greenlights Jul 26, 2013, 06:06 xXBatmanXx

Gipson wrote on Jul 26, 2013, 05:08:
DIVEKICK?!!!?

sooo getting that!!

You should be shot.

In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. / Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder.
Playing: New dad

5. Re: More Steam Greenlights Jul 26, 2013, 05:08 Gipson

DIVEKICK?!!!?

sooo getting that!!

4. Re: More Steam Greenlights Jul 26, 2013, 00:17 ViRGE

Quboid wrote on Jul 25, 2013, 20:44:
I'm quite impressed by how Valve have made a system whereby gamers do all the work of figuring out what's good and advertising the games for free. I know it's genuinely a big deal for small indie devs to get Greenlit so I don't want to be 100% cynical but damn, Valve are getting themselves a pretty good deal.
I'm afraid you have that backwards. Games have to do all the advertising before they get greenlit. Virtually no one votes on a game by going through Greenlight looking through games (there's simply too many of them and no real ability to filter them); they are directed there by the developer.

Now it's a nice bout of free advertising after you've been greenlit. But the amount of advertising needed to make it to this point may just as well be equal to how much advertising indies had to do before Greenlight.

3. Re: More Steam Greenlights Jul 25, 2013, 20:44 Quboid

- Quboid

2. Re: More Steam Greenlights Jul 25, 2013, 10:05 xXBatmanXx

nin wrote on Jul 25, 2013, 09:56:
BROFORCE is a fucking riot to play, if you've not checked out the web demo.

Looks to be inspired by one of my fav games of all time - Ice Climber. Competitive Ice Climber.

In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. / Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder.
Playing: New dad

1. Re: More Steam Greenlights Jul 25, 2013, 09:56 nin

BROFORCE is a fucking riot to play, if you've not checked out the web demo.

And good on Hat in Time and Among the Sleep, two KS I backed...

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

7 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo