Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Torchlight II Sells 2 Million

Runic Games announces that Torchlight II has sold more than two million copies, saying the action/RPG sequel has achieved "record sales" (presumably a record for a Torchlight sequel). They note that the original Torchlight sold over one million units in two years, and Torchlight II effectively doubled that accomplishment in ten months. "I'd just like to say a big thank you to all the players who offered their suggestions on what we could improve, and who stuck with us and supported us during development," says Runic Games President Travis Baldree. "It wouldn't have been possible without you, and we're humbled and grateful at your response."

View
22 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

22. Re: Torchlight II Sells 2 Million Jul 26, 2013, 06:39 J

Henceforth, Torchlight 2 shall be known as digital Marmite  

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

21. Re: Torchlight II Sells 2 Million Jul 25, 2013, 18:09 bigspender

PHJF wrote on Jul 25, 2013, 15:26:
ARPG is probably my number one genre, and Torchlight 2 just doesn't have a hook. The entire game is well put together, but nothing is fresh or interesting. It's a snoozefest.

+1

Adults are just children that are allowed to make their own decisions.

20. Re: Torchlight II Sells 2 Million Jul 25, 2013, 15:26 PHJF

ARPG is probably my number one genre, and Torchlight 2 just doesn't have a hook. The entire game is well put together, but nothing is fresh or interesting. It's a snoozefest.  

Steam + PSN: PHJF

19. Re: Torchlight II Sells 2 Million Jul 25, 2013, 13:36 jdreyer

RaZ0r! wrote on Jul 25, 2013, 11:25:
I loved Torchlight I. It's my favorite ARPG hands down, but I never could get into Torchlight II. The view, the interface, the gameplay, and the classes were all jarring coming from Torchlight I. Same for a friend of mine as well. We were so disappointed.
Wow, I was totally opposite. Couldn't get into TL1, but loved TL2.

I'd have to agree with RollinThundr that Path of Exile is the place to be currently, although I'm one of the few that thinks Marvel Heroes is not all that bad.

My biggest issue with PoE is that the level resets if I'm gone too long. Very frustrating to the point that I stopped playing, even though I loved the design and mechanics. I just felt it was too much repeating of content due to that.

"It's just a bunch of mystic bovine scatology to me." - 1badmf

18. Re: Torchlight II Sells 2 Million Jul 25, 2013, 13:33 jdreyer

Jivaro wrote on Jul 25, 2013, 11:09:
They delivered the game they said they would at the price they said they would. That just doesn't happen often enough in this industry for me to nitpick over things that were never expected in the first place. The goal was just to make more of the original Torchlight with multiplayer and modding tools. Mission accomplished. I am glad it sold so well and I hope they actually made some money off of it.

Totally agree. They delivered a crapton of gaming for $20. Assuming they averaged $10 per sale (since it was on sale a lot), that's $20m in revenue. I'm sure it made a tidy profit, probably several mil easily.

"It's just a bunch of mystic bovine scatology to me." - 1badmf

17. Re: Torchlight II Sells 2 Million Jul 25, 2013, 13:19 Pigeon

I picked this up in the summer sale. I've not invested a lot of time in it (so many other games to play), but so far I'm enjoying it. It feels a lot more like diablo II than diablo 3 does; even the music is similar. I'm glad they've had a lot of success.  

16. Re: Torchlight II Sells 2 Million Jul 25, 2013, 12:55 saluk

Judging by this thread, people's arpg preferences are really weird and personal. Torchlight 2 is probably my favorite of them, I found it an improvement of the first in almost every way.  

15. Re: Torchlight II Sells 2 Million Jul 25, 2013, 12:28 Xero

That's great. They deserve this or more! Awesome game. I think the only downside I can find is that I wish it had a closed online play similar to B.net. But for an offline single player ARPG, it's at it's best.  

Currently playing: Skyrim

14. Re: Torchlight II Sells 2 Million Jul 25, 2013, 12:24 Gadzooks

TL1 = Amazing fun
TL2 = A conglomeration of awkward view, blurred out visuals, clumsy click controls, battles being so stacked full of particle effects that you cant see your character, the enemies, or even your mouse pointer. Throw in multiplayer, and you have no clue if that fire on the ground is from your teammate, or a foe. Just a total mess to play.

D3 may have had horrible itemization, the RMAH, piss poor storyline, and huge balance issues with inferno mode, but at least it got the gameplay "Feel" down right. Blizzard has always been good at that, making the game responsive, tight, and solid feeling, and even during massive battles, you can still keep track of whats going on without any problem. This is why despite TL2 having a more likeable skill system, random generated maps (ie: what i prefer), and better loot, I still have put way more hours into D3 than I have into TL2.

13. Re: Torchlight II Sells 2 Million Jul 25, 2013, 11:56 Verno

They're very different styles of games despite sharing the same basic genre, I enjoyed both as well. Neither one had much longevity for me though, I think I'm kinda done with obsessively playing one game in general like most ARPGs require.  

Playing: Dark Souls 2
Watching: Legends, Intruders, Apocalypse Now

12. Re: Torchlight II Sells 2 Million Jul 25, 2013, 11:35 Mr. Tact

I actually liked both POE and TL2. Probably spent more time on TL2, but I think that was more an issue of my mood during that time than anything having to do with the game.  
Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.

11. Re: Torchlight II Sells 2 Million Jul 25, 2013, 11:34 JohnBirshire

I finished Diablo 3, but ultimately was extremely dissapointed with it. I played PoE for a couple hours, Torchlight 2 for maybe an hour. I think this genre just ran out of steam for me, feels like mindless boring clicking for an eternity.  

10. Re: Torchlight II Sells 2 Million Jul 25, 2013, 11:25 RaZ0r!

I loved Torchlight I. It's my favorite ARPG hands down, but I never could get into Torchlight II. The view, the interface, the gameplay, and the classes were all jarring coming from Torchlight I. Same for a friend of mine as well. We were so disappointed.

I'd have to agree with RollinThundr that Path of Exile is the place to be currently, although I'm one of the few that thinks Marvel Heroes is not all that bad.

Maybe you should take my post with a grain of salt if you're a Marvel Heroes hater.

9. Re: Torchlight II Sells 2 Million Jul 25, 2013, 11:09 Jivaro

They delivered the game they said they would at the price they said they would. That just doesn't happen often enough in this industry for me to nitpick over things that were never expected in the first place. The goal was just to make more of the original Torchlight with multiplayer and modding tools. Mission accomplished. I am glad it sold so well and I hope they actually made some money off of it.  

8. Re: Torchlight II Sells 2 Million Jul 25, 2013, 11:03 nin

Moog wrote on Jul 25, 2013, 11:01:
RollinThundr wrote on Jul 25, 2013, 10:54:
Yet Path of Exile is better than both D3 and T2. T2 for me was a borefest, after 2 hours I was done and haven't gone back.
Whereas, for me, PoE was the borefest that I haven't gone back to but I've finished TL2 on one char and am still playing other chars from time to time.

I hope Runic are happy with 2m sales - happy enough to do a TL3 and/or a TL-MMO.

Yeah, I'd gladly take a TL3.

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

7. Re: Torchlight II Sells 2 Million Jul 25, 2013, 11:01 Moog

RollinThundr wrote on Jul 25, 2013, 10:54:
Yet Path of Exile is better than both D3 and T2. T2 for me was a borefest, after 2 hours I was done and haven't gone back.
Whereas, for me, PoE was the borefest that I haven't gone back to but I've finished TL2 on one char and am still playing other chars from time to time.

I hope Runic are happy with 2m sales - happy enough to do a TL3 and/or a TL-MMO.

6. Re: Torchlight II Sells 2 Million Jul 25, 2013, 10:54 RollinThundr

Proudfoot wrote on Jul 25, 2013, 10:24:
They should be thanking Blizzard.

If D3 had been good, T2 would have not sold as well.

5. Re: Torchlight II Sells 2 Million Jul 25, 2013, 10:38 xXBatmanXx

Still havent put much time into it - still feels "zoomed in"....  

In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. / Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder.
Playing: New dad

4. Re: Torchlight II Sells 2 Million Jul 25, 2013, 10:26 nin

Proudfoot wrote on Jul 25, 2013, 10:24:

FUCK THOSE LOSERS!!!!!

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

3. Re: Torchlight II Sells 2 Million Jul 25, 2013, 10:24 Proudfoot

22 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo