Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Shadowrun Returns Tomorrow, New Harebrained Kickstarter Next Month

A Kickstarter update for Shadowrun Returns celebrates tomorrow's release of the tactical RPG reboot, talking about the tasks to follow the release, including localization, work on DLC, and Linux support. There's also word to expect a Kickstarter for Harebrained Schemes' next harebrained scheme next month. Here's word:

Below, you’ll see the first piece of concept art and a little video that tells you about our next Harebrained Scheme, Golem Arcana, which will launch on Kickstarter in August.

While it was tempting to start another tactical RPG project similar to Shadowrun Returns, we really believe in the potential that Kickstarter holds for launching new game worlds and experiences. I had this idea brewing in the back of my head for awhile and we decided that now was the right time to launch a new Harebrained Scheme.

So, the core Shadowrun team will continue to focus on Shadowrun Returns, while a small part of the studio branches off in this bold new direction. I'm really excited about our new game world and I hope you will be, too. Take a look below.

View
31 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

31. Re: Shadowrun Returns Tomorrow, New Harebrained Kickstarter Next Month Jul 26, 2013, 00:31 Krovven

Save anywhere is sorely needed. I was playing this afternoon and got a call to go fishing. So I'll probably have to start over.

The game does seem a little bland, but I wasn't far enough along to really get into it. It did feel like I was replaying the SNES game. Which isn't necessarily a bad thing. But it's been 20 yrs, hard to make direct comparisons.

Good thing is, the Workshop is already active and when I looked earlier someone had already created a mod for the editor to allow for corpse looting.

For $15, 2 copies of the game, the editor, mod support and the Berlin DLC to come, it's can't complain too much.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

30. Re: Shadowrun Returns Tomorrow, New Harebrained Kickstarter Next Month Jul 25, 2013, 20:26 Dev

Xil wrote on Jul 25, 2013, 11:57:
worst few for me would be "empty world, exploring it has no benefits. Big bugs". Exploring is such a big part of these games, should be rewarded
That would be up to the campaign authors. Maybe it will be better with the expansion city campaign thats coming up (free for kickstarter pledges)

29. Re: Shadowrun Returns Tomorrow, New Harebrained Kickstarter Next Month Jul 25, 2013, 18:12 Julio

El Pit wrote on Jul 25, 2013, 15:53:
Add save points to this. Didn't back this, but thought about buying it. But now... Not sure.

There's no rush, can always wait for a sale or more user made content.

28. Re: Shadowrun Returns Tomorrow, New Harebrained Kickstarter Next Month Jul 25, 2013, 15:53 El Pit

Add save points to this. Didn't back this, but thought about buying it. But now... Not sure.  
Consoles? I owned two: a Pong clone and an Atari 2600. And that's it.

27. Re: Shadowrun Returns Tomorrow, New Harebrained Kickstarter Next Month Jul 25, 2013, 11:57 Xil

Flo wrote on Jul 25, 2013, 09:22:
Uh oh, the first german review of a site I usually respect didn't like it that much. They criticized the lame engine, (not bad for me) serious bugs and the empty world.

http://www.gamersglobal.de/test/shadowrun-returns?page=0,2

hmm that is a long list of negatives, worst few for me would be "empty world, exploring it has no benefits. Big bugs". Exploring is such a big part of these games, should be rewarded

26. Re: Shadowrun Returns Tomorrow, New Harebrained Kickstarter Next Month Jul 25, 2013, 11:22 nin

Shack review

http://store.nin.com/index.php?cPath=10

25. Re: Shadowrun Returns Tomorrow, New Harebrained Kickstarter Next Month Jul 25, 2013, 11:20 El Pit

Flo wrote on Jul 25, 2013, 09:22:
Uh oh, the first german review of a site I usually respect didn't like it that much. They criticized the lame engine, (not bad for me) serious bugs and the empty world.

Just read it. Sounds like it's a bargain bin game. Although 6/10 isn't THAT bad.

But let's see what other reviewers have to say - I'll base my decision whether to buy or not on the metacritic score (critic and user reviews).

Consoles? I owned two: a Pong clone and an Atari 2600. And that's it.

24. Re: Shadowrun Returns Tomorrow, New Harebrained Kickstarter Next Month Jul 25, 2013, 10:05 Sho

Jerykk wrote on Jul 25, 2013, 04:34:
Gaming goodness? On Linux? Say what? About 99% of PC games still don't have Linux support. :|

Yeah :(. But there's enough stuff natively now to kill quite some time with fun and games, and along with Wine's maturing, I really don't need to boot the Windows install all that often anymore.

23. Re: Shadowrun Returns Tomorrow, New Harebrained Kickstarter Next Month Jul 25, 2013, 10:02 Axis

This game can become either a cult hit like the original NWN. Or it could be a luke-warm temporary distraction.

All depends on the mod tools and community. Time will tell...

Yours truly,

Axis

22. Re: Shadowrun Returns Tomorrow, New Harebrained Kickstarter Next Month Jul 25, 2013, 09:22 Flo

Supporter of the "Chewbacca Defense"

21. Re: Shadowrun Returns Tomorrow, New Harebrained Kickstarter Next Month Jul 25, 2013, 09:12 Dev

InBlack wrote on Jul 25, 2013, 05:59:
According to the review, its worrisome that the game awards only the 'correct' way to solve missions, quests. This is apparently because the campaign is more of an adventure campaign and not a fully fleshed out RPG campaign with multiple solutions to quests. So we have 'karma' instead of experience and the only way to earn karma is by helping out, there is no place for neutral or 'evil' player characters. This is a shame.
I imagine the campaign authors could program in alternate solutions.

20. Re: Shadowrun Returns Tomorrow, New Harebrained Kickstarter Next Month Jul 25, 2013, 08:27 nin

Cutter wrote on Jul 24, 2013, 21:39:
I've been watching a bunch of Let's Play for this on Youtube for some of the mods in production atm so I'm ready as heck!

Just The Tip - Shadowrun Returns
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=whueDNtKxkY

First hour of the campaign if you want to skim through it to see what's what.

Thanks for the video! Can't wait to play!

http://store.nin.com/index.php?cPath=10

19. Re: Shadowrun Returns Tomorrow, New Harebrained Kickstarter Next Month Jul 25, 2013, 08:21 avianflu

Many thanks for that gameplay video link Cutter

18. Re: Shadowrun Returns Tomorrow, New Harebrained Kickstarter Next Month Jul 25, 2013, 07:10 Flo

Return already, goddammnit!!  
Supporter of the "Chewbacca Defense"

17. Re: Shadowrun Returns Tomorrow, New Harebrained Kickstarter Next Month Jul 25, 2013, 05:59 InBlack

According to the review, its worrisome that the game awards only the 'correct' way to solve missions, quests. This is apparently because the campaign is more of an adventure campaign and not a fully fleshed out RPG campaign with multiple solutions to quests. So we have 'karma' instead of experience and the only way to earn karma is by helping out, there is no place for neutral or 'evil' player characters. This is a shame.  

I have a nifty blue line!

16. Re: Shadowrun Returns Tomorrow, New Harebrained Kickstarter Next Month Jul 25, 2013, 05:33 NKD

Jerykk wrote on Jul 25, 2013, 04:34:
Sho wrote on Jul 24, 2013, 21:41:
I'll probably wait for the native Linux release, with all the gaming goodness coming towards Linux of late I just can't be arsed to boot Windows anymore. Well, the Windows version would presumably run via Wine too, so maybe I'll crack depending on how the echo develops, but native is a bit nicer.

Gaming goodness? On Linux? Say what? About 99% of PC games still don't have Linux support.

On a side note, I hope that Shadowrun gets quicksave patched in. Checkpoint saving in an RPG is retarded.

Frankly I think it should be up to the module author where the saves are.

If you don't like where gaming is heading, stop giving your money to the people who are taking it in that direction.

15. Re: Shadowrun Returns Tomorrow, New Harebrained Kickstarter Next Month Jul 25, 2013, 04:34 Jerykk

Sho wrote on Jul 24, 2013, 21:41:
I'll probably wait for the native Linux release, with all the gaming goodness coming towards Linux of late I just can't be arsed to boot Windows anymore. Well, the Windows version would presumably run via Wine too, so maybe I'll crack depending on how the echo develops, but native is a bit nicer.

Gaming goodness? On Linux? Say what? About 99% of PC games still don't have Linux support.

On a side note, I hope that Shadowrun gets quicksave patched in. Checkpoint saving in an RPG is retarded.

14. Re: Shadowrun Returns Tomorrow, New Harebrained Kickstarter Next Month Jul 25, 2013, 02:26 Prez

Dmitri_M wrote on Jul 25, 2013, 01:28:
Looks exceptional. I hope this signals a return to isometric sci-fi games flooding the market! I love me some isometric.

Yeah - that Syndicate remake - something "Reign" - is looking fantastic - visually at least.

EDIT: Satellite Reign. Yeah, that's the ticket!

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

13. Re: Shadowrun Returns Tomorrow, New Harebrained Kickstarter Next Month Jul 25, 2013, 01:48 Doma

Looks good!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p-b-ggUSvo4

12. Re: Shadowrun Returns Tomorrow, New Harebrained Kickstarter Next Month Jul 25, 2013, 01:28 Dmitri_M

Looks exceptional. I hope this signals a return to isometric sci-fi games flooding the market! I love me some isometric.  

31 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo