Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

EA Financial Results

Electronic Arts reports their preliminary Q1 FY2014 financial results, reaffirming their forecasts for the year and offering the following summary of the quarter: "For the quarter, non-GAAP net revenue of $495 million was above our guidance of $450 million. Non-GAAP diluted loss per share of ($0.40) was above our guidance of ($0.62)." Here's their list of highlights:

• EA was the #1 publisher in Western retail markets in calendar year 2013, and the #1 global publisher in the iOS game market in the June quarter.
  • EA received 116 E3 awards from over 220 industry nominations, including 8 out of 15 awards from the official E3 Game Critics. Battlefield 4™ won a total of 21 awards at E3, including GameSpot’s Best of E3 award, Need for Speed™ Rivals was named Best Racing Game, and NHL® 14 took the honors for Best Sports Game. Titanfall™ from Respawn Entertainment won six major awards, including Best of Show, Best Original Game, Best Console Game, Best PC Game, Best Action Game and Best Online Multiplayer.
  • The Simpsons™: Tapped Out recorded its highest revenue quarter* in Q1 since launching in August 2012.
  • EA’s mobile and handheld digital revenue generated $103 million* in the quarter, a 30% year-over-year increase in digital net revenue.
  • Real Racing™ 3, the #1 racing title on iOS, has generated more than 45 million downloads, and has averaged over 2 million daily active users since launching in March.
  • The Battlefield 3™ Premium community continues to grow with over 4 million members to date.
  • FIFA 13 digital net revenue topped $70 million* in the quarter, a 92% increase versus FIFA 12 in Q1 FY 2013.
  • FIFA Online 3 digital net revenue in grew 88%* in the first quarter compared FIFA Online 2 in the prior year, and was the #1 online sports game in Korea based on revenue and traffic.
  • EA signs publishing agreement with TenCent for FIFA Online 3 in China, with details to be announced in an upcoming joint press release from EA and TenCent.
  • EA’s Origin™ platform for downloading digital games has registered over 50 million users, including 22 million mobile users.
    Trailing twelve-month non-GAAP digital net revenue was up 28% to a record $1.72 billion*.

View
22 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

22. Re: EA Financial Results Jul 24, 2013, 21:28 jdreyer

WaltC wrote on Jul 24, 2013, 21:20:
jdreyer wrote on Jul 24, 2013, 12:57:

As for the price, $60 is the going rate at for AAA games currently and has been for the past couple of years. UT games always shipped at the top AAA price. In fact, $60 today is cheaper than the $50 that the original UT shipped at, adjusting for inflation. $50 in 1999 would be $70 today.

Problem is, the PC market for games has grown by at least 500% since 1999--so all of the "inflation" statistics prove themselves entirely bogus. The market is so much larger that a decent game should double or maybe even triple its 1999 grosses. So....today's $60 game *should be* selling for $20-$30 in order for the publishers to gross the same amount of money as in 1999, selling to the same percentage of the market. A discussion of inflation since 1999 without at the same time discussing how much larger today's market is than it was in 1999 is useless.

Except that the cost of producing such a game has also increased exponentially. The original UT was produced for a few mil. Now CoD, BF, etc all cost $30-50m each to make.

Also, sure, PCs outsell consoles, but most of them are business machines with little or no graphics hardware, and will never be used for gaming. PC game market does have slightly higher revenue than the consoles, but only slightly.

"It's just a bunch of mystic bovine scatology to me." - 1badmf
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

21. Re: EA Financial Results Jul 24, 2013, 21:20 WaltC

jdreyer wrote on Jul 24, 2013, 12:57:

As for the price, $60 is the going rate at for AAA games currently and has been for the past couple of years. UT games always shipped at the top AAA price. In fact, $60 today is cheaper than the $50 that the original UT shipped at, adjusting for inflation. $50 in 1999 would be $70 today.

Problem is, the PC market for games has grown by at least 500% since 1999--so all of the "inflation" statistics prove themselves entirely bogus. The market is so much larger that a decent game should double or maybe even triple its 1999 grosses. So....today's $60 game *should be* selling for $20-$30 in order for the publishers to gross the same amount of money as in 1999, selling to the same percentage of the market. A discussion of inflation since 1999 without at the same time discussing how much larger today's market is than it was in 1999 is useless.

The market is so much larger that $60 is, imo, a rip-off price. Looking at it honestly, though, $60 price tags for PC games don't hold up very long, fortunately--they reduce very quickly, usually. (A month after Skyrim debuted on the PC for $60 I bought it through a Steam sale for $40.) The people who suffer the most rip-off are console owners as their game prices tend to remain artificially high for lengthy periods of time--PS3 & xb360 each sold a total of ~75M units during their last seven years (for a total of 150M consoles). At the same time, PCs sold at an average rate of 300M per year, for a total of 2.1 Billion PCs sold worldwide compared to 150 Million units for xb360 and PS3 combined. That's why the MSRP's for console games are so slow to drop compared to their PC counterparts--there are a lot fewer of them in the console market than there are gaming PC market (if only 15% of all the PCs sold during that time frame are considered "gaming machines" that's still 315 Million gaming PCs in the market--or roughly double the number of Sony and Microsoft consoles.)

It is well known that I do not make mistakes--so if you should happen across a mistake in anything I have written, be assured that I did not write it!

20. Re: EA Financial Results Jul 24, 2013, 12:57 jdreyer

Trevellian wrote on Jul 24, 2013, 09:50:

Oh come on, Unreal Tournament is a whole different ballgame. They never had the audacity to charge 10 dollars more than the "Norm" for PC games, and it at least has a single player tournament mode with bots. Wicked good Bots. You had to learn the maps, control the weapons and powerups. UT took skill, you didn't start with whatever weapon you wanted. And the game had charm, color, and fun weapons. There is a vast difference between UT and COD.

Well, I think it's extremely unlikely that TF doesn't ship with a bot mode. The Titans already have AI and fight automatically when you're not in them. The TF team is being demure about bots, but it seems inconceivable that they won't be in there. The majority of gamers buy games play offline even when the game is designed primarily for multiplayer.

19. Re: EA Financial Results Jul 24, 2013, 12:43 subx

ASeven wrote on Jul 24, 2013, 11:31:
This article pretty much explains that EA may be in deeper shit than this report makes it.
So, good news then Number1

18. Re: EA Financial Results Jul 24, 2013, 11:31 ASeven

This article pretty much explains that EA may be in deeper shit than this report makes it.  

17. Re: EA Financial Results Jul 24, 2013, 10:58 Verno

Krizzen wrote on Jul 24, 2013, 09:31:
I don't know how those clowns do it.

Just the other day I decided to fire up some Battlefield 3. Oh yeah, need to open Origin. Forgot my password. Gotta reset. Then Origin has to update. Then I have to download a 6 gig patch for BF3. Then I have to use their horrendous web browser game browser. Oh, then I have to update the browser plugin. It doesn't work. After about 30 mins of troubleshooting, I discover I've disabled it in Firefox. It's clearly labeled as "Battlefield 3 Battlelog Plugin". Just kidding, it's called "ESN Launch" (WTF?). Now I'm ready to go. Search for servers. No results. Fiddle with filters... still no results. Scroll down to the bottom of the page, and they start mysteriously loading into the list. Yippee! I finally find a US based server, connect in, and finally I can blast some ass. I score a kill or too, and BOOM! Back to desktop. Punkbuster needs to be updated...

What was so broken with something like, say, the Quake 3 server browser? Are all these steps necessary?

Anyway, after that crap, I can't find myself buying anything else from EA.

That was pretty funny and I agree, it's pretty silly. If you're going to make a desktop client to compete with Steam then at least have feature parity with Steam or be working toward that. Why do we need browser plugins and other nonsense? Just integrate it into Origin. Don't act like its platform agnostic just because I can buy it anywhere else but Steam, I still need to inexplicably use Origin to launch the dumb game so why do I need this other junk?

Whenever I think of reinstalling BF3 I just kind of shrug my shoulders and find something else to play, too much annoyance.

Playing: The Last of Us Remastered
Watching: Kitchen Nightmares, Coherence, The Rover

16. Re: EA Financial Results Jul 24, 2013, 10:20 HorrorScope

PC up 8%
360 down 12%
PS3 down 11%

PC Revenue 298 mil
360 256
PS3 238

I know everyone else hates Madden, but it has been like 10 years now. Can we finally have another Madden on the PC?

15. Re: EA Financial Results Jul 24, 2013, 09:50 Trevellian

jdreyer wrote on Jul 24, 2013, 02:13:
Trevellian wrote on Jul 23, 2013, 23:48:
I can't believe Call of Duty: Robots.... I mean... Titanfall, won Best PC, Console and "Original" game, it's not original, it oozes COD with a new coat of paint. It's a good thing they left Activision to make something different since they were tired of making Call of Duty.

Well, they weren't tired of making CoD. They were tired of dealing with the Activision suits. Speaking of Activision, Destiny looks like the most derivative LCD game possible. There was so much potential with that, and they went with the simplest, most boring options.

I also can't believe they are going to charge 60 dollars for a Multiplayer only game.

I know, right? It's an outrage!!!

*Looks sideways at complete Unreal Tournament collection hoping Trevellian doesn't notice*

Oh come on, Unreal Tournament is a whole different ballgame. They never had the audacity to charge 10 dollars more than the "Norm" for PC games, and it at least has a single player tournament mode with bots. Wicked good Bots. You had to learn the maps, control the weapons and powerups. UT took skill, you didn't start with whatever weapon you wanted. And the game had charm, color, and fun weapons. There is a vast difference between UT and COD.

For the Republic
-C22 Waterson of Planetside 2

14. Re: EA Financial Results Jul 24, 2013, 09:32 NKD

But I don't understand, EA was voted worst company in the multiverse, how are they still making money? Oh right, because no one puts their money where their mouth is.

People need to grow a pair.

If you don't like where gaming is heading, stop giving your money to the people who are taking it in that direction.

13. Re: EA Financial Results Jul 24, 2013, 09:31 Krizzen

I don't know how those clowns do it.

Just the other day I decided to fire up some Battlefield 3. Oh yeah, need to open Origin. Forgot my password. Gotta reset. Then Origin has to update. Then I have to download a 6 gig patch for BF3. Then I have to use their horrendous web browser game browser. Oh, then I have to update the browser plugin. It doesn't work. After about 30 mins of troubleshooting, I discover I've disabled it in Firefox. It's clearly labeled as "Battlefield 3 Battlelog Plugin". Just kidding, it's called "ESN Launch" (WTF?). Now I'm ready to go. Search for servers. No results. Fiddle with filters... still no results. Scroll down to the bottom of the page, and they start mysteriously loading into the list. Yippee! I finally find a US based server, connect in, and finally I can blast some ass. I score a kill or too, and BOOM! Back to desktop. Punkbuster needs to be updated...

What was so broken with something like, say, the Quake 3 server browser? Are all these steps necessary?

Anyway, after that crap, I can't find myself buying anything else from EA.

12. Re: EA Financial Results Jul 24, 2013, 09:31 Verno

EA lost more money, news at 11.  

Playing: The Last of Us Remastered
Watching: Kitchen Nightmares, Coherence, The Rover

11. Re: EA Financial Results Jul 24, 2013, 08:09 subx

FIFA 13 digital net revenue topped $70 million* in the quarter...

...so you'd think they could afford to employ some more developers and not churn out the same broken game every year...

EA - Not giving a shit taken to the next level

10. Re: EA Financial Results Jul 24, 2013, 02:13 jdreyer

Trevellian wrote on Jul 23, 2013, 23:48:
I can't believe Call of Duty: Robots.... I mean... Titanfall, won Best PC, Console and "Original" game, it's not original, it oozes COD with a new coat of paint. It's a good thing they left Activision to make something different since they were tired of making Call of Duty.

Well, they weren't tired of making CoD. They were tired of dealing with the Activision suits. Speaking of Activision, Destiny looks like the most derivative LCD game possible. There was so much potential with that, and they went with the simplest, most boring options.

I also can't believe they are going to charge 60 dollars for a Multiplayer only game.

I know, right? It's an outrage!!!

*Looks sideways at complete Unreal Tournament collection hoping Trevellian doesn't notice*

9. Re: EA Financial Results Jul 24, 2013, 00:04 Closed Betas

Notice the fine print.. Everything EA shows income has come from other markets OUTSIDE THE USA, they have tapped out here, so they have to market to people who can't see what they truly are... YET.  

8. Re: EA Financial Results Jul 23, 2013, 23:48 Trevellian

This comment was edited on Jul 24, 2013, 00:01.

For the Republic
-C22 Waterson of Planetside 2

7. Re: EA Financial Results Jul 23, 2013, 23:43 wtf_man

EA received 116 awards from over 220 industry nominations, including...

Worst Company in America!

6. Re: EA Financial Results Jul 23, 2013, 22:19 Frijoles

Dades wrote on Jul 23, 2013, 22:00:

By counting every EA account and forum registration ever made since 2002 to now.

Which includes me since I had an EA account back in the day. I've never installed Origin though, and yet I count as a user.

5. Re: EA Financial Results Jul 23, 2013, 22:00 Dades

EA’s Origin™ platform for downloading digital games has registered over 50 million users, including 22 million mobile users.

By counting every EA account and forum registration ever made since 2002 to now.

- DADES - This is a signature of my name, enjoy!

4. Re: EA Financial Results Jul 23, 2013, 21:24 Shok

Still Origin free!

Hell, the only reason I would install Origin would be if EA came out with Outlaws 2...

3. Re: EA Financial Results Jul 23, 2013, 21:10 Cutter

nin wrote on Jul 23, 2013, 20:58:
EA’s Origin™ platform for downloading digital games has registered over 50 million users, including 22 million mobile users.

There's that other shoe!

And regular and concurrent users are what? 1% of that?

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

22 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo