Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Aliens: Colonial Marines: Stasis Interrupted DLC Released

Steam now offers the rumored but never announced Stasis Interrupted DLC for Aliens: Colonial Marines, proving the report saying this would happen to be accurate. The pack will be the last DLC for Gearbox's FPS and requires the base game to play. It is offered for USD $9.99, though it is free for those who purchased a season pass. Here's word on how this bridges the story of Aliens with the not-masterpiece that was Aliens 3:

'Stasis Interrupted' is the final piece of Aliens™: Colonial Marines DLC telling the story of what happened to Hicks between Aliens™ and Alien³™.

In this new campaign you play as 3 different characters through an interlocking story. Waking up unexpectedly from hypersleep, Lisbeth and others must figure out why the spaceship they are on, the Legato, has been diverted to intercept the Sulaco leaving LV-426's orbit.

Fight your way through the alien infested spaceship, find out what Michael Weyland is after and discover what truly happened to Hicks.

View
52 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

52. Re: Aliens: Colonial Marines: Stasis Interrupted DLC Released Jul 25, 2013, 00:29 KilrathiAce

Sad that people actually bought this game and now even DLC came.... guess nowdays anyone will play garbage as long as it has some license or related to a movie franchise.  

"On 2646.215 I myself attacked & destroyed TCS Tiger's Claw in my Jalthi heavy fighter"
Bakhtosh Redclaw Nar Kiranka
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

51. Re: Aliens: Colonial Marines: Stasis Interrupted DLC Released Jul 24, 2013, 23:49 fujiJuice

Time for me to chime in with my unwanted and off topic opinion of Aliens 3.

I think it is a very underrated film, especially after watching the unofficial 'directors cut', or whatever it's called. If you own the blu-rays you owe it to yourself to watch the amazingly extensive behind the scenes. It gave me a whole new appreciation for the film, and for the shit Fincher had to put up with during the production. The man is a fantastic director and considering this was his first major motion picture (I believe), and the studio was giving him a hard time with everything, I think it was quite an accomplishment. Sure he might have gone widely over budget and made mistakes and had been difficult to work with, but again, it wasn't easy for him either. It is no wonder he disowns the thing, I don't blame him.

In spite of all that, I think the movie just oozes atmosphere, much more in line with Alien. The movie has quite a few interesting characters, and it is, in my option, cool to see this how the prisoners react to something more cold and violent than themselves. At the same time Ripley is dealing with the loss of both Hicks and Newt, a girl that gave her a chance to be a mother figure again. Also how she learns and accepts the horrible fact that she carries an alien within her, something that she has spent decades running from.

50. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 24, 2013, 19:15 Rigs

Drayth wrote on Jul 24, 2013, 15:48:
One thing to note (though I doubt this was with deliberate foresite), you can hear the sound of an alien egg opening at the *very* end of Aliens after the credits roll.

Oh, wait, that squishy sound? Yeah, sorry, that's not an alien egg, it was just me licking the popcorn butter off my fingers...

=-Rigs-=

'We talked about peace! You didn't want peace. We talked about cooperation! You didn't WANT cooperation. You WANT war! Is that it? You want a war? Well, you've GOT a war!'

49. Re: Aliens: Colonial Marines: Stasis Interrupted DLC Released Jul 24, 2013, 16:39 A51Abductee

Back to the DLC... I would expect that they actually got Michael Biehn to voice Hicks again, as they did for the main game - along with other original Aliens cast members.

His work in FC3: Blood Dragon helped make the experience for me.

48. Re: Aliens: Colonial Marines: Stasis Interrupted DLC Released Jul 24, 2013, 15:56 Mad Max RW

Maybe they will explain it in Prometheus 5 or A:CM 3.  

47. Re: Aliens: Colonial Marines: Stasis Interrupted DLC Released Jul 24, 2013, 15:48 Drayth

You're confusing the dropship that eventually crashes and explodes with the one that was remoted down from orbit near the end of the movie.

Not that it matters, the second drop ship sits on the landing platform waiting for Ripley to rescue Newt for some unkown amount of time.

One thing to note (though I doubt this was with deliberate foresite), you can hear the sound of an alien egg opening at the *very* end of Aliens after the credits roll.

46. Re: Aliens: Colonial Marines: Stasis Interrupted DLC Released Jul 24, 2013, 14:30 Wallshadows

People scratch their head and wonder when and how an egg could have been put on the Sulaco to cause the death of Hicks and Newt but have no issues accepting the fact that an Alien got on board the dropship which was suppose to rescue the bunch after shit hit the fan much earlier in the film.

It's not out of the realm of possibility that that same Xeno brought an egg on board especially when the Queen would not have been able to lay an egg as she detached from the egg-laying apparatus in order to chase Ripley. Granted, the only time the Xeno would have had time to get on board in the first place was when they did the initial touchdown before the camera pans around to show the Marines running away from the dropship as it pulls away with the bay open.

It sucks that there is no official explanation as to how it happened and why it required both of the major characters to be killed off in order to progress the story when it could have gone any other way to achieve the same results. Leaving it in the hands of the fans to come up with a plausible explanation is fun and all but it should have been reserved for a much lesser issue.

45. Re: Aliens: Colonial Marines: Stasis Interrupted DLC Released Jul 24, 2013, 14:09 Necrophob

I loved Aliens 3 (just not at release...first time I saw it, I was disappointed). I think the big thing about Aliens 3, is that it is so grim. The other two movies start with some levity, then get to the killing (in the end, most everyone dies, regardless of which movie it is). Aliens 3 kills off two main characters before it even gets going, and it's all downhill from there.  

44. Re: Aliens: Colonial Marines: Stasis Interrupted DLC Released Jul 24, 2013, 12:46 Verno

Egg on my face, I missed that. The rest of my post still stands though  

Playing: Alien Isolation, 7 Days to Die, Dragon Age Origins
Watching: The Canal, Brazil, The Town That Dreaded Sundown

43. Re: Aliens: Colonial Marines: Stasis Interrupted DLC Released Jul 24, 2013, 11:56 Mad Max RW

Verno wrote on Jul 24, 2013, 09:17:
I don't think anyone is saying Alien 3 is brilliant (its really not)

Perhaps somebody shouldn't have used the word brilliant to describe it in the first place...

InBlack wrote on Jul 24, 2013, 03:26:
I thought A3 was just as brilliant as the first two films.

42. Re: Aliens: Colonial Marines: Stasis Interrupted DLC Released Jul 24, 2013, 09:17 Verno

I don't think anyone is saying Alien 3 is brilliant (its really not), just that it's a different sort of movie like how Aliens was a very different movie from Alien. There's nothing wrong with a different approach, the execution was just all over the place. Personally I think the DC is a much better film but even still it has many problems. Thankfully it is much better than Alien Resurrection which is so bad I cringed through most of it.  

Playing: Alien Isolation, 7 Days to Die, Dragon Age Origins
Watching: The Canal, Brazil, The Town That Dreaded Sundown

41. Re: Aliens: Colonial Marines: Stasis Interrupted DLC Released Jul 24, 2013, 09:09 InBlack

Mad Max RW wrote on Jul 24, 2013, 08:44:
You can say Alien 3 is brilliant all you want. The fact remains not even the director, David Fincher, wanted anything to do with the movie years after release.

Yeah, he said so which must make it true. I mean he is the director after all right? Not like anyone else is entitled to their own opinion....

I have a nifty blue line!

40. Re: Aliens: Colonial Marines: Stasis Interrupted DLC Released Jul 24, 2013, 08:44 Mad Max RW

You can say Alien 3 is brilliant all you want. The fact remains not even the director, David Fincher, wanted anything to do with the movie years after release.  

39. Re: Aliens: Colonial Marines: Stasis Interrupted DLC Released Jul 24, 2013, 06:05 Krovven

Queen was mass producing worker aliens. Strung up to take the pressure off her body. Even the tube could be moved around to place eggs in different locations. The egg the Queen deliberately planted for Ripley was a Queen making egg.

Anyways, whole point was that the game was already working with what was already broken by the Alien 3 writers.

And again, all you are doing is saying "they should have done this instead". Anybody can do that. I could sit here and list off a dozen possibilities for Alien stories they could have done. It all means nothing as that's not what they did do and went another direction with it again with 4, AvP movies and then Prometheus. So the one thing they have been consistent about is being inconsistent with their mythology and film style.

This comment was edited on Jul 24, 2013, 06:11.

38. Re: Aliens: Colonial Marines: Stasis Interrupted DLC Released Jul 24, 2013, 06:04 InBlack

Orogogus wrote on Jul 24, 2013, 05:38:
Krovven wrote on Jul 24, 2013, 05:08:
Orogogus wrote on Jul 24, 2013, 04:50:
Didn't the queen tear off her entire egg laying apparatus before going after Ripley, well before she was anywhere near the dropship?

It's another common question and adds to how the egg got there in the first place. Only real answer is, we don't know if a Queen can lay eggs without the whole apparatus. So suspension of disbelief says it's possible.

If that's the case, having the egg sac in the movie at all is kind of dumb. What would be the point of showing her laying the egg, and then tearing off the sac before going after Ripley? It would be like Schwarzenegger in Predator going all low tech, setting up all his traps and arrows and what not, and then going into the climactic matchup just to pull out a minigun and mow down the predator.

Regarding Alien 3, I like to think it would be possible to build off the second movie without simply retelling the same story. The old comic books went to a pretty weird place, but at least there was a progression. Alien 3 rehashed Alien to such an extent that you could expect the third one to have an alien invading a circus, or taking Manhattan, or so on. Other than style and atmosphere, what does it add to the story? Even disregarding the second movie, why is it important that the main character is Ripley, or that the monster is a xenomorph instead of a velociraptor? Even if I thought Aliens was terrible, what did Alien 3 add to the first movie?

Or is it like when people say that a Transformers movie is all good as long as it has giant robots and explosions?

To me it addded a whole lot to the story, although its not an obviously narrative experience. First of all the emotions that Ripley experiences on learning of the loss of Newt and Hicks, and then of learning that she herself is infected. She moves past fear and loss to something like cold rage, in fact she comes back full circle from running away from these horrors to actually facing them head on. Second, the prisoners themselves and their community is something that is new. We root for a bunch of rapists, killers and much worse because in the face of the alien threat and adversity humanity resurfaces and shines through. Lastly the corporation is given a face, and its an inhuman android face, something that is even further removed, detached from us than the Alien itself and is subsequently the 'real' threat to humanity.

Let me just remind you of one brilliant scene in the movie, probably the best scene in the whole trilogy (IMO). The funeral ceremony of Hicks and Newt, the narration of the pastor/prisoner superimposed with the scenes of the hatching and a closeup of Ripley having a nosebleed.

I have a nifty blue line!

37. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 24, 2013, 06:04 Rigs

Ok, ok, ok...

Can we just agree to dsiagree on this whole Aliens/Aliens3 thing? You guys are running in circles that have been well-worn into the pavement by other geeks years before...you're not going to come up with anything new that makes any difference in the storyline (unless your making a new movie, in which case I'll give you the number to my agent ) and, on top of that, I've only seen ONE person here mention anything about how the DLC retcons the story, which IS official (supposedly). And no one's talking about it. C'mon guys, it's old already. I know, I know...really, I do. But it's a waste of time...there are whole FORUMS set up for this argument alone, and they're well ahead of ya...

=-Rigs-=

'We talked about peace! You didn't want peace. We talked about cooperation! You didn't WANT cooperation. You WANT war! Is that it? You want a war? Well, you've GOT a war!'

36. Re: Aliens: Colonial Marines: Stasis Interrupted DLC Released Jul 24, 2013, 05:38 Orogogus

Krovven wrote on Jul 24, 2013, 05:08:
Didn't the queen tear off her entire egg laying apparatus before going after Ripley, well before she was anywhere near the dropship?

It's another common question and adds to how the egg got there in the first place. Only real answer is, we don't know if a Queen can lay eggs without the whole apparatus. So suspension of disbelief says it's possible.

If that's the case, having the egg sac in the movie at all is kind of dumb. What would be the point of showing her laying the egg, and then tearing off the sac before going after Ripley? It would be like Schwarzenegger in Predator going all low tech, setting up all his traps and arrows and what not, and then going into the climactic matchup just to pull out a minigun and mow down the predator.

Regarding Alien 3, I like to think it would be possible to build off the second movie without simply retelling the same story. The old comic books went to a pretty weird place, but at least there was a progression. Alien 3 rehashed Alien to such an extent that you could expect the third one to have an alien invading a circus, or taking Manhattan, or so on. Other than style and atmosphere, what does it add to the story? Even disregarding the second movie, why is it important that the main character is Ripley, or that the monster is a xenomorph instead of a velociraptor? Even if I thought Aliens was terrible, what did Alien 3 add to the first movie?

Or is it like when people say that a Transformers movie is all good as long as it has giant robots and explosions?

35. Re: Aliens: Colonial Marines: Stasis Interrupted DLC Released Jul 24, 2013, 05:08 Krovven

34. Re: Aliens: Colonial Marines: Stasis Interrupted DLC Released Jul 24, 2013, 05:05 Krovven

Orogogus wrote on Jul 24, 2013, 04:47:
Aliens had already advanced it past the monster film stage. It established additional character shadings for Ripley. It showed Weyland-Yutani moving their agenda forward. Instead of one alien there was a colony of them -- and a queen. Instead of an unarmed crew trying to survive with materials at hand it was an armed military squad.

So how did the third movie move things further forward? Kind of didn't.

People complain that films, games, and tv shows go off in the wrong direction and want things to "go back to their roots" all the time. All you are doing is suggesting they follow the path of the second movie instead of going the direction they did. Both Alien and Aliens were different styles of film and succeeded on their own merits. Nobody remembers this, but there were a lot of hardcore Alien fans that were not happy with the departure from the style of the first film.

It's really easy to sit back after the fact and say they should have gone the other way and made the obvious sequel stylistically to Aliens. But when writing, sometimes the last thing you want to do is the obvious. Did we really want to watch the same 3 characters go through the exact same situation again, doing the exact same things? It's a trap that is really easy to write for and hasn't worked out for a lot of movie sequels.

So yes, I think it was brave to not just do the obvious. Unfortunately it didn't work out so well. And who knows how it would have been if Fox had just let Fincher make the movie without interference. But as for the writing, it wasn't Fincher and it was people that had been involved with the Aliens story.

This comment was edited on Jul 24, 2013, 05:10.

33. Re: Aliens: Colonial Marines: Stasis Interrupted DLC Released Jul 24, 2013, 04:50 Orogogus

Krovven wrote on Jul 24, 2013, 04:41:
InBlack wrote on Jul 24, 2013, 04:30:
Well the queen didnt lay the egg(s) in the drop pod, Im guessing that she laid the egg(s) somewhere in the drop shuttle struts. The eggs hatched and the facehuggers managed to get into the drop pod (along with the cryochambers). There were two, one for Ripley and obviously one for the doberman/cow (depending on which version you watched).

There was a shot of an egg in the escape pod in Aliens 3. Edit: now that I think about it, the egg could have been on the Sulaco in that opening scene. Basically the writers along the way, starting with Alien 3 have totally messed up the continuity of their own IP.

And I thought it was implied it was the same facehugger that impregnated Ripley, as she did not have the facehugger on her when they pulled her from the crash.

EDIT: I suppose she could have turned around, smothered the flames one of the eggs and taken it to the dropship, walking on two legs. Maybe in the remastered special edition.

This comment was edited on Jul 24, 2013, 05:04.

52 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo