Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

StarCraft II Birthday Party

Battle.net outlines Blizzard's plans to celebrate the third anniversary of the release of StarCraft II on Saturday. They offer a reworked 15th Anniversary ‘line up’ wallpaper and have boosted the experience points doled out by the real-time strategy sequel. Here's word: "For a limited time, we’ve increased the XP gains you get when you play StarCraft II by 25%. It’s the perfect time to log in and play some Multiplayer, or Versus A.I., or Training Mode games. Perhaps you’d like to level up the race you don’t play the least often. Now’s the time!"

View
31 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

31. Re: StarCraft II Birthday Party Jul 24, 2013, 03:14 Lord Tea

I don't give a flying funk about Blizzard anymore and whatever franchise they (ab)use to make infinite amounts of money. Just my honest opinion.  
UPSA = United Police States of America
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

30. Re: StarCraft II Birthday Party Jul 23, 2013, 21:40 nin

I heard deqer stands for fredrickson, true story.

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

29. Re: StarCraft II Birthday Party Jul 23, 2013, 21:04 Orogogus

deqer wrote on Jul 23, 2013, 19:38:
SC2 stands for Supreme Commander 2, not Starcraft 2.

Uh, whatever.

Google results

28. Re: StarCraft II Birthday Party Jul 23, 2013, 19:38 deqer

SC2 stands for Supreme Commander 2, not Starcraft 2.  

27. Re: StarCraft II Birthday Party Jul 23, 2013, 18:02 Burrito of Peace

Fibrocyte wrote on Jul 23, 2013, 14:16:

<Fibrocyte's blathering attempts at humor here>

Way to miss the entirety of the point, Captain Spacker.

26. Re: StarCraft II Birthday Party Jul 23, 2013, 17:44 MoreLuckThanSkill

coolkev99 wrote on Jul 23, 2013, 16:23:
Perhaps you’d like to level up the race you don’t play the least often

So... in other words, level up the race you play the most?

What are a few double negatives among corporate entities and their customers?

25. Re: StarCraft II Birthday Party Jul 23, 2013, 16:48 Orogogus

Eirikrautha wrote on Jul 23, 2013, 16:29:
Ehhh, I liked it better when it was just called StarCraft. Granted it's prettier now, but anytime I'm supposed to measure my play in made-up units (APM, anyone?), it sounds way too much like work...

That started with Starcraft, didn't it? I know the term was around before SC2.

24. Re: StarCraft II Birthday Party Jul 23, 2013, 16:29 Eirikrautha

Ehhh, I liked it better when it was just called StarCraft. Granted it's prettier now, but anytime I'm supposed to measure my play in made-up units (APM, anyone?), it sounds way too much like work...  

23. Re: StarCraft II Birthday Party Jul 23, 2013, 16:23 coolkev99

Perhaps you’d like to level up the race you don’t play the least often

So... in other words, level up the race you play the most?

22. Re: StarCraft II Birthday Party Jul 23, 2013, 16:23 MattyC

Verno wrote on Jul 23, 2013, 15:28:
I found the campaigns in both pretty mediocre to be honest but I do agree Starcraft games are mostly about the MP (the custom maps for me). I was very disappointed in Starcraft 2 overall though, didn't get much value out of it. It felt really safe and I get their reasons for making it so close to the original but I was bored quickly since I did the Starcraft 1 MP thing obsessively already and wanted to see some new things for RTS in general.

I guess one difference is I probably didn't expect as much out of the campaigns. In a game like that I often skip the single player, but SC2s interested me enough that I played the whole campaign. Where as in another game I would get for the multiplayer (Battlefield games are an example of this) I quickly get bored of the single player and never finish it. Sort of like it is bonus content and this time the bonus was better than average.

21. Re: StarCraft II Birthday Party Jul 23, 2013, 16:16 Cyanotetyphas

HOTS was a good change up after 30 missions of building marines.

I still think it was a big mistake they did it like this though. The strength of an RTS is the race asymmetry. If they had all three races playable in one game it would stand out much better. The Protoss interlude in WoL was very refreshing, in HOTS you just get the battle cruiser segment (though that was fun). Blizzard did a great job with mission variety, but regardless of that grinding with one set of units for 20+ missions will always get repetitive. This goes double for the tone of the story.

The multiplayer is dope though, no complaints.

Synthetic Error - Entertainment bloggin http://syntheticerror.wordpress.com/

20. Re: StarCraft II Birthday Party Jul 23, 2013, 16:12 Darks

I usually love most RTS games in general, but this game just pisses me off to no end. Blizz purposely made this game a tournament based MP game. 20 min skirmishes, and rush, rush, rush. Hate this style of RTS gaming.  

Creator of the Neverwnter Nights Eye of the Beholder Series of Mods.

http://nwvault.ign.com/View.php?view=Modules.Detail&id=6375

19. Re: StarCraft II Birthday Party Jul 23, 2013, 15:28 Verno

MattyC wrote on Jul 23, 2013, 14:09:
The campaign was fine in WoL and quite good in HotS, but that isn't even really relevant. SC2 is about the multiplayer.

I found the campaigns in both pretty mediocre to be honest but I do agree Starcraft games are mostly about the MP (the custom maps for me). I was very disappointed in Starcraft 2 overall though, didn't get much value out of it. It felt really safe and I get their reasons for making it so close to the original but I was bored quickly since I did the Starcraft 1 MP thing obsessively already and wanted to see some new things for RTS in general.

Burrito of Peace has only ever owned 1 skateboard, scooter, motorcycle, car, boat, etc in his life. He refuses to own/use 2 of the same type of transportation because they're formulaic retreads of a mode of transportation that he already bought and paid for more than a decade ago. He just hopes that he can afford Mooney aircraft before his car dies for good...

This is really silly, you can like something while also feeling its successor doesn't do enough to distinguish itself.

Playing: Divinity Original Sin, Infamous Second Son, Madden
Watching: Spartan, Possible Worlds, The Changeling

18. Re: StarCraft II Birthday Party Jul 23, 2013, 15:12 Xero

Krovven wrote on Jul 23, 2013, 14:07:
Xero wrote on Jul 23, 2013, 12:34:
3rd year anniversary and we still don't have the entire game, lol.

Ignorant troll comment.

Both WoL and HoS have more missions in each game than the original Starcraft had. All 3 races have been available in the game for multiplayer and modding since WoL original release. The HoS campaign isn't even a copy paste of the level up/skills structure of WoL.

Then there is Arcade mode, which has all the mods, solo, coop and multiplayer...and so many good ones! Some created by Blizzard. I don't play the game nearly as much as I would like to. I bounce from games leaving them incomplete all the time. I finished WoL and halfway through another playthrough. And I'm about 3/4 of the way through HoS. Friends and I load up coop Arcade mods every now and then and it's great.

I don't even touch the PvP and bought both games at full price and I don't regret it at all. I can see $80 buy-in price being a little steep for someone, but when they go on sale, it should be a must buy. Unless of course you never liked the original Starcraft.

Ignorant troll? Wtf you talking about. I play the game weekly. I OWN THE GAME. BOTH.
I think me stating that we don't have the full game meaning campaign wise, isn't far off from saying, we don't have the full game yet. lol. Chill the funk out.

Currently playing: Skyrim

17. Re: StarCraft II Birthday Party Jul 23, 2013, 14:45 MattyC

Krovven wrote on Jul 23, 2013, 14:28:
MattyC wrote on Jul 23, 2013, 14:26:
If you were just worried about losing you may want to give it a go.

LOL. I have played it, I can play it...I just don't like it. Company of Heroes is more my style for MP PvP. However, I don't play that much either. RTS multiplayer is on the bottom of my priority list when it comes to games.

I probably worded that poorly. I just know some people who had to really be coaxed into giving it a go simply because they cannot stand to lose repeatedly in anything with a long playtime. I had to show them that no matter who you are, you generally win as much as you lose.

16. Re: StarCraft II Birthday Party Jul 23, 2013, 14:28 Krovven

MattyC wrote on Jul 23, 2013, 14:26:
If you were just worried about losing you may want to give it a go.

LOL. I have played it, I can play it...I just don't like it. Company of Heroes is more my style for MP PvP. However, I don't play that much either. RTS multiplayer is on the bottom of my priority list when it comes to games.

15. Re: StarCraft II Birthday Party Jul 23, 2013, 14:26 MattyC

Krovven wrote on Jul 23, 2013, 14:12:
SC2 is about the multiplayer.

Actually that's not all it's about. People like different things. Personally I have zero interest in the manic clickfest Starcraft multiplayer is.

I guess I should have said 'for many people'. I enjoyed the campaigns, but the vast majority of my time playing SC2 was spent in multiplayer.

To play at the higher levels you do need to be fast, but the ladder runs full spectrum. You can play slow and casual if you like. If you were just worried about losing you may want to give it a go. The match maker will generally keep you at a 50% win rate no matter what. Only the best of the best and the worst of the worst will vary from that too much.

14. Re: StarCraft II Birthday Party Jul 23, 2013, 14:16 Fibrocyte

Krovven wrote on Jul 23, 2013, 14:10:
Fibrocyte wrote on Jul 23, 2013, 13:50:
Burrito of Peace wrote on Jul 23, 2013, 13:42:
MattyC wrote on Jul 23, 2013, 09:53:
It is your loss.

No, it really isn't. It's a formulaic retread of a game you already bought and paid for more than a decade ago. It isn't a good story nor is it even a decent continuation of the original storyline.

To be clear, you've never played and enjoyed 2 games of the same genre? You're such a snowflake.

Yea I do not get the mentality of "everything must be unique and ground breaking for it to be any good". It makes no sense and seems to me you'd go through life being pretty miserable with that expectation.

Burrito of Peace has only ever owned 1 skateboard, scooter, motorcycle, car, boat, etc in his life. He refuses to own/use 2 of the same type of transportation because they're formulaic retreads of a mode of transportation that he already bought and paid for more than a decade ago. He just hopes that he can afford Mooney aircraft before his car dies for good...

13. Re: StarCraft II Birthday Party Jul 23, 2013, 14:12 Krovven

SC2 is about the multiplayer.

Actually that's not all it's about. People like different things. Personally I have zero interest in the manic clickfest Starcraft multiplayer is.

12. Re: StarCraft II Birthday Party Jul 23, 2013, 14:10 Krovven

Fibrocyte wrote on Jul 23, 2013, 13:50:
Burrito of Peace wrote on Jul 23, 2013, 13:42:
MattyC wrote on Jul 23, 2013, 09:53:
It is your loss.

No, it really isn't. It's a formulaic retread of a game you already bought and paid for more than a decade ago. It isn't a good story nor is it even a decent continuation of the original storyline.

To be clear, you've never played and enjoyed 2 games of the same genre? You're such a snowflake.

Yea I do not get the mentality of "everything must be unique and ground breaking for it to be any good". It makes no sense and seems to me you'd go through life being pretty miserable with that expectation.

31 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo