Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

StarMade - Minecraft-inspired Space Shooter

The StarMade website offers downloads of StarMade (also variously written as Star Made and Starmade), a Wing Commander-style sandbox space game using Minecraft-inspired voxel graphics for Windows, OS X, and Linux. The game is offered for free from the website and the Indie DB, but the Buy StarMade page offers the "full version" for USD $3.00, and the game is the subject of a current Steam Greenlight campaign, to there are some commercial aspirations behind this. They offer Episode 1 and Episode 2 in a video series on the game's basics, and a screenshot gallery with a look at what can be made in StarMade. Thanks Ant via LinuxGames.

View
16 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

16. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 24, 2013, 06:33 Rigs

yuastnav wrote on Jul 24, 2013, 03:48:
[edit]
Although there are some things I don't get.
1. I cannot actually mine on my own? I.e. I have to get a ship with a mining beam?
2. Is there a way to save the state of the singleplayer world?

1. Yes...it's LIKE Minecraft but it ISN'T Minecraft...lol...yes, you need a ship...

and

2. Yes...just don't ask me how, I just know you can...

=-Rigs-=

'I know what you think you are, what you want us to believe! But I don't buy it! For three years now you've been pulling everyone's strings, getting us to do all the work, and you haven't done a damn thing except stand there and look cryptic.'
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

15. Re: StarMade - Minecraft-inspired Space Shooter Jul 24, 2013, 03:48 yuastnav

Just played it for twenty minutes or so and... holy shit, this game is only three bucks? Count me in!

Maybe I can suggest it to my mates. We've been running a minecraft server for the last two years but now it lost its appeal even amongst the more hardcore of them.
Let's see whether they are willing to switch to this.

This one looks really good, though. Shame I didn't know a thing about it before.

Still, this is just naive enthusiasm. It will probably change and I hope not for the worse.

[edit]
Although there are some things I don't get.
1. I cannot actually mine on my own? I.e. I have to get a ship with a mining beam?
2. Is there a way to save the state of the singleplayer world?

This comment was edited on Jul 24, 2013, 04:09.

14. Re: StarMade - Minecraft-inspired Space Shooter Jul 24, 2013, 01:17 wraithnix

The game's fun...but I've got an "array out of bounds" error every time I've played it. Fixing it requires uninstalling and reinstalling.

I'll try again when the game's a bit more bug free.

13. Re: StarMade - Minecraft-inspired Space Shooter Jul 23, 2013, 20:43 Axis

Gameplay trumps all, really that's all there is to it -- if it's fun.. its fun.

Besides, go look at the ships and things people are making and you forget all about the 'blocks'. Minecraft-type blocks are ideal for this space game.

As for starforge, it's been in a weird lull for a very long time, at least in the eyes of many of us who have backed it since around it's inception. Read up on the forums before you buy into it, they have been more obvious with updates since heading into steam.

Yours truly,

Axis

12. Re: StarMade - Minecraft-inspired Space Shooter Jul 23, 2013, 18:53 Narf2029

Silicon Avatar wrote on Jul 23, 2013, 16:42:
Narf2029 wrote on Jul 23, 2013, 12:54:
I couldn't bring myself to put $3 down for it. I don't need photorealistic graphics but I am so over the "retro" style, the blocky style, and whatever else. Indie is not an excuse to make things that look like shit.

For $3 that is what you get. If you want glistening abs then the entry fee is $60.

That's kind of what I'm saying. I don't mind paying $50 or even $60 for something that's worth $50 or $60. In the same vein, I don't want to spend $3 if it means $3 production values. I have tons of other crap that I haven't even played yet, so I'm definitely past the point where a small price alone will hook me. I'm sure the game is a lot of fun for people who have fun with Minecraft, but I played Minecraft way back in its early super-rough days too. It was fun but I've had my fill, and nowadays you can't throw a stone without hitting an indie title that looks like crap. I can understand sacrificing graphics for game mechanics but don't sacrifice *all* of the graphics. Saying indie games "look quirky" or that the graphics have "special charm" is just like when you say it about women; a polite and thinly-veiled way of saying you wish she was hotter. One wouldn't say it when she was in earshot, would they?

Again, I'm not saying graphics are the be-all-end-all of a good game, far from it, but who here still plays Dwarf Fortress? That's an extreme example, sure, since playing that is like looking at the code of the Matrix - after a while you just see dwarf, goblin, elf. Sure, the game mechanics are deep and involving, but probably 99% of players that try it out give up before they figure anything out because even looking at it is a puzzle. I'm sure that's a huge factor in why it's free - if people had to tackle a learning curve just to understand what is going on but also had to pay for the privilege, the word of mouth would be damning.

Huh? I'm sorry, I was thinking about cake.

11. Re: StarMade - Minecraft-inspired Space Shooter Jul 23, 2013, 17:33 Draugr

jacobvandy wrote on Jul 23, 2013, 17:28:
Draugr wrote on Jul 23, 2013, 17:18:
MindStalker3 wrote on Jul 23, 2013, 15:31:
I couldn't bring myself to put $3 down for it. I don't need photorealistic graphics but I am so over the "retro" style, the blocky style, and whatever else. Indie is not an excuse to make things that look like shit.

Honestly, when your talking about a fully destructible/buildable world, blocky is about the only way to go. I couldn't imagine the system requirements if the graphics were high end.

Starforge doesn't look too bad.

Yeah, but can you do anything to the terrain? Doesn't look like it. All I saw deformed in their main trailer thing were trees and blocks that they put in place themselves.

You can modify the terrain beyond that, yes. Last I checked its free to check out, so you might as well.

These games aren't really my cup of tea, so I can't speak to it's quality, but someone brought up graphics so I figured I'd throw it out there.

10. Re: StarMade - Minecraft-inspired Space Shooter Jul 23, 2013, 17:28 jacobvandy

Draugr wrote on Jul 23, 2013, 17:18:

Honestly, when your talking about a fully destructible/buildable world, blocky is about the only way to go. I couldn't imagine the system requirements if the graphics were high end.

Yeah, but can you do anything to the terrain? Doesn't look like it. All I saw deformed in their main trailer thing were trees and blocks that they put in place themselves.

Well, I read the FAQ and they talk about "digging endless tunnels," but it'd probably be useful to show that stuff up front...

9. Re: StarMade - Minecraft-inspired Space Shooter Jul 23, 2013, 17:18 Draugr

http://www.starforge.com/

8. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 23, 2013, 16:55 Rigs

ItBurn wrote on Jul 23, 2013, 15:20:
Would you say it's easy to pick up and play like Minecraft? When I look at it, it seems like I wouldn't understand anything. I'd have to read guides endlessly to do the most basic things. You have to read guides in Minecraft too, but it's still very user friendly.

It's pretty user-friendly, about on-par with Minecraft. Obviously, you have to read some to know what to do, but you can just boot it up and start messin' around without any heavy reading. The way you build a ship and then how you mine minerals/ores/whatever will require some reading, but it's not hard and it's pretty easy to remember once you've done it. It's certainly not something you'll have to constantly refer to a manual or strat guide for...

All I can say is try it. There's plenty to do without having to pay for it. It's definitely worth the measly $3 though...

=-Rigs-=

'I know what you think you are, what you want us to believe! But I don't buy it! For three years now you've been pulling everyone's strings, getting us to do all the work, and you haven't done a damn thing except stand there and look cryptic.'

7. Re: StarMade - Minecraft-inspired Space Shooter Jul 23, 2013, 16:42 Silicon Avatar

For $3 that is what you get. If you want glistening abs then the entry fee is $60.

6. Re: StarMade - Minecraft-inspired Space Shooter Jul 23, 2013, 15:41 jacobvandy

I'll pick this one up when it's on Steam.  

5. Re: StarMade - Minecraft-inspired Space Shooter Jul 23, 2013, 15:31 MindStalker3

4. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 23, 2013, 15:20 ItBurn

Rigs wrote on Jul 23, 2013, 15:15:
Geezus, had I known you'd put it on the front page, Blue, I'd have told you about it weeks ago! This is kinda old news, my friend. I've been playing this thing for more than a month now. It's got quite a following, including community made Star Trek ships like a Connie and a Klingon D3, all for the taking at www.star-made.org.

If you're looking for something like Minecraft in space, people, THIS is the one! You can land on planets and build stations, including ships and it's heavily dev supported, along with a ton of community support. If you were on the fence with all the Minecraft 'me-toos', this is one to get. Yes, the whole 'blocks' thing is a bit tedious...if not ugly, but it's functional...

=-Rigs-=

Would you say it's easy to pick up and play like Minecraft? When I look at it, it seems like I wouldn't understand anything. I'd have to read guides endlessly to do the most basic things. You have to read guides in Minecraft too, but it's still very user friendly.

3. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 23, 2013, 15:15 Rigs

Geezus, had I known you'd put it on the front page, Blue, I'd have told you about it weeks ago! This is kinda old news, my friend. I've been playing this thing for more than a month now. It's got quite a following, including community made Star Trek ships like a Connie and a Klingon D3, all for the taking at www.star-made.org.

If you're looking for something like Minecraft in space, people, THIS is the one! You can land on planets and build stations, including ships and it's heavily dev supported, along with a ton of community support. If you were on the fence with all the Minecraft 'me-toos', this is one to get. Yes, the whole 'blocks' thing is a bit tedious...if not ugly, but it's functional...

=-Rigs-=

2. Re: StarMade - Minecraft-inspired Space Shooter Jul 23, 2013, 12:54 Narf2029

Huh? I'm sorry, I was thinking about cake.

1. Re: StarMade - Minecraft-inspired Space Shooter Jul 23, 2013, 12:35 ItBurn

I like the concept, but not too sure about the execution. Looks like a giant mess.  

16 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo