Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Out of the Blue

Fight Club sequel in the works (thanks Acleacius). Hmmm. A graphic novel is fine I suppose, but I have to strongly echo the sentiment of the author in saying that I don't need a follow-up to one of my favorite movies of all time, so hopefully no film adaptation will come of this.

Adapted Links: Thanks Ant and Acleacius.
Play: Dyna Boy.
Stealth Assassin.
Super Rally Challenge.
Links: 5 Incredible Real Video Games (You'll Never Get to Play) - Cracked.com
Stories: Bryan Cranston Secretly Cosplayed As Walter White at Comic-Con. Thanks nin.
Ken Cuccinelli, the Republican candidate for governor in Virginia, wants to ban oral sex.
Science: Faster Than the Speed of Light? Thanks j.c.f.
New clues illuminate Alzheimer's roots.
Ottawa mother loses 3 limbs after dog bite infection.
Images: 'X-Men' first look- 'Days of Future Past' posters split the difference. Thanks nin.
Media: The Ten Scariest Aircraft Landings Caught On Video. Thanks nin.
Follow-up: Climate change slowdown is due to warming of deep oceans, say scientists.
The Funnies: Brevity.

View
40 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

40. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 25, 2013, 16:51 Krovven

Nvm, became clear the list was a joke as I read further on.  
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

39. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 24, 2013, 11:19 eRe4s3r

Argh, I blame you! Now I want to watch "The Thing" again. One of my absolute most favorite movies besides Alien 1/2..

Though is it weird that I have no particular favorite movies besides those? Yeah LOTR and Matrix were all great, but favorite implies stuff I randomly want to re-watch. And there is not a whole lot of that for me.

38. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 24, 2013, 08:34 Mr. Tact

Yeah, top five films with no context is tough, here's five with minimal serious thought:

The Fountainhead
My Fair Lady
Ben-Hur
The Bridge Over the River Kwai
Lawrence of Arabia

There are many, more modern films which are excellent, some mentioned here, Reservoir Dogs, Pulp Fiction, The Matrix, The Shawshank Redemption, and on and on but it is really hard to match the old masterpieces. I suspect most everyone would agree 4 of my 5 are excellent. The Fountainhead being the red-headed step child. It doesn't have the great cinematography the others do, but the story connects with me powerfully.

Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.

37. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 24, 2013, 06:01 xXBatmanXx

WHOA!

Blue achieved Borderlands 2:

Blue achieved Call of Juarez Gunslinger:

Blue achieved BioShock Infinite:

GO BLUE GO!

In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. / Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder.
Playing: New dad

36. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 24, 2013, 03:37 InBlack

There are too many for top five, but any movie list that doesnt include Shawshank Redemption is definitely lacking.  

I have a nifty blue line!

35. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 23, 2013, 23:48 xXBatmanXx

Batman & Robin

You should be shot.....

It is so hard to do a top 5, I mean...what do you base it on?

Without thinking:
Day the Earth Stood Still (1951)
North by Northwest (1959)
The Shining (1980)
Reservoir Dogs (1992)
The Big Lebowski (1998)

Heat, Batman, Any Hitchcock film, Blade Runner, Seven, She Wore a Yellow Ribbon, Tombstone, Good Bad Ugly, Star Wars, Shaft, Monty Python, Mall Rats, Scarface, Employee of the Month (2004 - NOT 2006), The Stuff, Goonies, Wonka and Choc Factory (not depp), Dog Day Afternoon, V for Vendetta, Ben Hur, Ghost Busters, The English Patient, Princess Bride, The Great Escape, Bridge on River Kwai, Goodfellas, The Untouchables, ET, A Bridge Too Far, The Longest Day, Ace Ventura Pet Det., One Flew Over the Cookoos Nest, China Town/Two Jakes, Sin City, Lucky Number Slevin, Vertigo, 2001 Apace Odessey, Alines,.....

I mean damn....every movie I type, I think of another great movie.....

This comment was edited on Jul 24, 2013, 00:10.

In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. / Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder.
Playing: New dad

34. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 23, 2013, 21:26 Quboid

I'll try a more serious list. I can't pick a favourite as it depends on my mood, so I'll pick a range of genres.

The Life of Brian
The Matrix
Spygame
The Shawshank Redemption
The Godfather

Pretty unimaginative, eh? If I want to be all cool and hipster and stuff, I could say:
Taegukgi hwinalrimyeo (Brotherhood)
Hawk: The Slayer
Nikita
Blaise Moi
Cidade de Deus (City of God)

- Quboid

33. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 23, 2013, 20:52 jdreyer

Redmask wrote on Jul 23, 2013, 19:01:

Top 5 movies:
Aliens
Watchmen
The Matrix
LotR (Fellowship)
The Thing

This list is missing Seven by David Fincher and I am going to have to ask you to turn in your movie credentials please

That is an excellent film. Top five is going to be somewhat arbitrary anyways, as I could have put five completely different films in there that I love pretty easily, thus my honorable mentions. A top 20 would be better for me. For example, no Tarantino on my list, but I love Pulp Fiction and Inglorius Basterds.

This year was a funny year for me. I was very much opposite the conventional wisdom. Didn't really like Star Trek 2 or Iron Man 3, but critics loved them. Loved Man of Steel and Oblivion (not a Cruise fan, either), but critics hated them. Am dying to see Pacific Rim, but haven't been able to go just yet.

"It's just a bunch of mystic bovine scatology to me." - 1badmf

32. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 23, 2013, 19:11 nin

Whatever, man. Let's talk Shadowrun instead.

Two days! Not soon enough! I wonder how soon workshop support (for extra missions) will happen - day of, or patched in later?

http://store.nin.com/index.php?cPath=10

31. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 23, 2013, 19:01 Redmask

Cutter wrote on Jul 23, 2013, 16:48:
I have zero problem with dogs licking wounds because yes, their mouths are anti-bacterial factories. There have been plenty of people who have been saved by dogs cleaning their wounds until help arrived. There was a person here who 20 years back got into an accident in the winter and was trapped in their car for 3 days. Not only did the dog licking his wounds keep them from infection he was the one who finally got help to him and got him rescued. And I recall many other news stories down the years how dogs doing this have prevented gangrene, blood poisoning, etc. Yeah, if antiseptic is on hand that'll be my first choice, but a dog will do in a pinch.

There are also many more people who are infected from animal saliva. Go ask your vet or a doctor what they think about your theory.

Top 5 movies:
Aliens
Watchmen
The Matrix
LotR (Fellowship)
The Thing

This list is missing Seven by David Fincher and I am going to have to ask you to turn in your movie credentials please

30. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 23, 2013, 19:00 Cutter

nin wrote on Jul 23, 2013, 17:56:
I have zero problem with dogs licking wounds because yes, their mouths are anti-bacterial factories. There have been plenty of people who have been saved by dogs cleaning their wounds until help arrived.

Do you ever get the vibe that maybe science isn't your thing?

Whatever, man. Let's talk Shadowrun instead.

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

29. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 23, 2013, 18:44 Quboid

Cutter wrote on Jul 23, 2013, 16:48:
I have zero problem with dogs licking wounds because yes, their mouths are anti-bacterial factories. There have been plenty of people who have been saved by dogs cleaning their wounds until help arrived. There was a person here who 20 years back got into an accident in the winter and was trapped in their car for 3 days. Not only did the dog licking his wounds keep them from infection he was the one who finally got help to him and got him rescued. And I recall many other news stories down the years how dogs doing this have prevented gangrene, blood poisoning, etc. Yeah, if antiseptic is on hand that'll be my first choice, but a dog will do in a pinch.

And why are conservatives so utterly terrified of sex and intimacy? Is it just shame from all that religious brainwashing as children?

Dogs' licking is one of those things that seems gross when you think about it, but clearly it's something that does us no harm or humans with pet dogs would have died off. The small amount of bad stuff is probably good for our immune system (most of the time). If we live in a bubble, we'll die if the bubble pops.

Edit: I mean licking as in grooming. Not licking open wounds, that's just messed up. I'd be worried about giving him a taste for humans.

- Quboid

28. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 23, 2013, 18:13 jdreyer

nin wrote on Jul 23, 2013, 17:56:
I have zero problem with dogs licking wounds because yes, their mouths are anti-bacterial factories. There have been plenty of people who have been saved by dogs cleaning their wounds until help arrived.

While saliva may have some healing properties, it's risky to let animals lick your wounds. From Wikipedia:

As with the licking of wounds by people, wound licking by animals carries a risk of infection. Allowing pet cats to lick open wounds can cause cellulitis[52][53] and septicemia[54][55] due to bacterial infections. Licking of open wounds by dogs could transmit rabies if the dog is infected with rabies,[56] although this is said by the CDC to be rare.[57] Dog saliva has been reported to complicate the healing of ulcers.[58] Another issue is the possibility of an allergy to proteins in the saliva of pets, such as Fel d 1 in cat allergy and Can f 1 in dog allergy.[59] Cases of serious infection following the licking of wounds by pets include:

Dog
- A diabetic man who was infected by Pasteurella dagmatis due to the licking of his injured toe by his dog, causing a spinal infection.[60]
- A woman recovering from knee surgery suffered a persistent infection of the knee with Pasteurella after her dog licked a small wound on her toe.[61]
- A dog lick to an Australian woman's minor burn caused septicemia and necrosis due to Capnocytophaga canimorsus infection, resulting in the loss of all her toes, fingers and a leg.[62][63]
- C. canimorsus caused acute renal failure due to septicemia in a man whose open hand wound was licked by his dog.[64]
- A 68 year old man died from septicemia and necrotizing fasciitis after a wound was licked by his dog.[65]
- A patient with a perforated eardrum developed meningitis after his dog passed on a Pasteurella multocida infection by licking his ear.[66]

Cat
- A woman recovering from surgery for endometrial cancer suffered from Pasteurella multocida infection causing an abscess after her cat licked the incision.[67]
- A blood donor whose cat licked her chapped fingers passed on Pasteurella infection to a 74-year old transfusion recipient.[68]
- A seven-week old boy contracted meningitis due to Pasteurella from contact with pet saliva.[69]

27. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 23, 2013, 18:06 jdreyer

Top 5 movies:
Aliens
Watchmen
The Matrix
LotR (Fellowship)
The Thing

Honorable Mentions:
Gattaca
Donnie Brasco
Quest for the Holy Grail (watch it recently? still as funny as ever)

26. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 23, 2013, 17:56 nin

http://store.nin.com/index.php?cPath=10

25. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 23, 2013, 17:03 Cutter

2 more sleeps until Shadowrun Returns! Found the old SNES rom and emulator online and been playing that mean time. So many cool mods already under way for it too!

24. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 23, 2013, 16:48 Cutter

And why are conservatives so utterly terrified of sex and intimacy? Is it just shame from all that religious brainwashing as children?

23. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 23, 2013, 16:28 Quboid

Hoop wrote on Jul 23, 2013, 16:10:
I will give my top 5 movies.
please give yours
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wit_(film)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_World_According_to_Garp_(film)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barry_Lyndon
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Thin_Red_Line_(1998_film)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/When_Harry_Met_Sally...

Indiana Jones and the Crystal Skull
Star Wars Ep1: The Phantom Menace
Batman & Robin
The Godfather 3
The Matrix: Revolutions
The Godfather 3 is actually a very good movie IMHO, but it doesn't hold a candle to parts 1 & 2.

- Quboid

21. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 23, 2013, 14:46 Quboid

MattyC wrote on Jul 23, 2013, 14:17:
Blue wrote on Jul 23, 2013, 12:51:
Quboid wrote on Jul 23, 2013, 12:20:
XKCD's mouse over text sums up Fight Club pretty well IMHO. I was blown away by the slick style and vaguely Anonymous style anarchy. Now, it seems rather silly and has plot holes large enough to host underground boxing matches in.

Wow, is it that bad? I have intentionally not watched it in years, wanting to maximize the impact of seeing it again, but now I'm worried I will be similarly disappointed. I guess my next viewing will be soon so I can know, and I can specifically see if I can find a satisfactory answer to your questions while I'm at it.

It isn't bad if you just watch it as a silly but visually interesting movie. Now if you are trying to get some deep meaning or insight out of it...

Spot on. It's still a fun movie, but while I always knew that these people (Jack, Tyler and Marla) were horrible, they seemed cool 10 years ago at the end of my teens. Now, I still know they're horrible but they also look pathetic. Likewise Tyler's goals, which although I always knew they were unwise and unworkable, now they just appear laughable.

Sirs, Yosemite Sam, some more spoiler comments (as if anyone doesn't know!):
1, You assume, which is obviously an incorrect assumption... they moved to another building while he was out. It was the place they planed to meet to watch the show, one guy brings a bag of munchies with him.

Ah, that explains it. Thanks.

2, Even though he didn't die he fully intended to blow his head off, so I've no problem that that conscious decision killed off his other personality.

He intended to kill himself, which certainly would kill Tyler. But upon failing to kill himself, it seems that he should have failed to kill Tyler. I feel that the author or screenwriter ran out of ideas for how to actually kill of Tyler, without resorting to years of therapy and medication which wouldn't really fit the tone of the movie

3, You find it hard to believe people follow nut jobs? or get freaked out? They were beating the crap out of each other for fun and blew up buildings for the guy... and they seemed quite aware of his quirkiness in the end when he was trying to stop it.

That's different. That's cult of personality stuff. I mean the physical logistics of that first fight with 1 or 2 recruits. How did that work? It's one thing to follow a crazy leader and his schemes but before the cult of Tyler was built up:
Jack: Welcome new guy, now fight me, Tyler
[Fighting]
Jack: OK, you fought Tyler. Now fight Jack.
Recruit: Uh, wut? Did I give you concussion?

I can believe that people follow nut jobs, but the leaders can't immediately be massive nut jobs. They've got to ease people into it.

Strongly related to this is how the split personality stuff works in a 2 hour film. There's all kinds of hints that on second watching suddenly make sense. However, over the course of what, 6 months? A couple of years? I can see that Tyler, being in on it, wouldn't mention Jack to Marla but Jack would have mentioned Tyler and confused her. She would have called Jack Tyler when Jack was Jack, inevitably she would have many times.

</spoilers>

- Quboid

40 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo