Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Battlezone, Star Control & More Atari IP Sold: Chris Taylor and Total Annihilation Reunited

Develop points the way to some court documents revealing the disposition of more Atari IP, following a big auction in May and the sale of a couple of other properties last month by the bankrupt publisher. Word is Rebellion placed successful bids on the Battlezone and Moonbase Commander franchises, Stardock Systems will acquire the rights to strategy classic Star Control, while Wargaming is now owner of Master of Orion and Total Annihilation. That last acquisition seems especially noteworthy since Wargaming also recently aquired Gas Powered Games, which means the Total Annihilation property is now reunited with GPG's Chris Taylor, who created the RTS series back in the CaveDog days.

View
25 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

25. Re: Battlezone, Star Control & More Atari IP Sold: Chris Taylor and Total Annihilation Reunited Jul 23, 2013, 04:27 InBlack

Well, Im stoked for another Battlezone. Tanks on the moon, tanks on mars. Hover tanks!!! Rebellion has had some serious hits and misses hopefully they pull this off....  

I have a nifty blue line!
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

24. Re: Battlezone, Star Control & More Atari IP Sold: Chris Taylor and Total Annihilation Reunited Jul 23, 2013, 00:47 jdreyer

RollinThundr wrote on Jul 22, 2013, 14:46:
Its worrying to see Wargaming.net snap up all these classic IP's. Because you know they're going to put out shitty F2P games and rape all those classic franchises.

Yeah, this is a concern. I hope we see proper sequels, and not attempts at monetizing franchise names.

"It's just a bunch of mystic bovine scatology to me." - 1badmf

23. Re: Battlezone, Star Control & More Atari IP Sold: Chris Taylor and Total Annihilation Reunited Jul 22, 2013, 21:15 Silicon Avatar

I'm not sure about Star Control and Stardock. I don't think they have the right quirky humor for it.  

22. Re: Battlezone, Star Control & More Atari IP Sold: Chris Taylor and Total Annihilation Reunited Jul 22, 2013, 20:09 jacobvandy

I saw some additional information from the auction on PCG, saying Uber Ent. is the back-up bidder on TA. I bet they would love to change up Planetary Annihilation a bit and just call it a straight sequel.

Also, Stardock did bid on Master of Orion, just not as much as Wargaming.

21. Re: Battlezone, Star Control & More Atari IP Sold: Chris Taylor and Total Annihilation Reunited Jul 22, 2013, 19:22 loomy

supreme commander 1 is alive and well. there are new webcasts on youtube, and the game is great fun to watch.  

20. Re: Battlezone, Star Control & More Atari IP Sold: Chris Taylor and Total Annihilation Reunited Jul 22, 2013, 18:34 Golwar

I'm not sad that Stardock didn't win Master of Orion. How many 4x game could they produce with GalCiv and now SC?

We'll see what Wargaming will do with the IP. In the worst case MoO2 will remain in our hearts. No real difference to the situation in the past decade.

19. Re: Battlezone, Star Control & More Atari IP Sold: Chris Taylor and Total Annihilation Reunited Jul 22, 2013, 17:30 Mashiki Amiketo

Nice. I loved Starcontrol, and SC2(which you can play for free here).  
--
"For every human problem,
there is a neat, simple solution;
and it is always wrong."
--H.L. Mencken

18. Re: Battlezone, Star Control & More Atari IP Sold: Chris Taylor and Total Annihilation Reunited Jul 22, 2013, 16:40 WyldKat

RaZ0r! wrote on Jul 22, 2013, 09:56:
I wish Stardock had received Master of Orion!

I do too.

My horror is that Wargaming will turn it into World of Warplanes in space.

17. Re: Battlezone, Star Control & More Atari IP Sold: Chris Taylor and Total Annihilation Reunited Jul 22, 2013, 16:20 theglaze

For me, it was the TA community support that gave the game legs and kept it interesting with not only custom units but entire races.

Edit: And that soundtrack has been in my library for years

16. Re: Battlezone, Star Control & More Atari IP Sold: Chris Taylor and Total Annihilation Reunited Jul 22, 2013, 14:46 RollinThundr

Its worrying to see Wargaming.net snap up all these classic IP's. Because you know they're going to put out shitty F2P games and rape all those classic franchises.  

15. Re: Battlezone, Star Control & More Atari IP Sold: Chris Taylor and Total Annihilation Reunited Jul 22, 2013, 14:08 DangerDog

I would be down for an HD tuned stand alone version of Total Annihilation, I know you can run the original at crazy resolutions but it still looks sort of scrappy with the textures and stuff. Supreme Commander should have been that game but it feels like it lacks the clean simplicity of the original.

Unfortunately they'll probably try to release a new game that's micro-transaction based and geared towards fast pace e-sports.

14. Re: Battlezone, Star Control & More Atari IP Sold: Chris Taylor and Total Annihilation Reunited Jul 22, 2013, 13:01 mag

Topevoli wrote on Jul 22, 2013, 12:28:
I totally annihilated my underwear when I heard this news.

KS wrote on Jul 22, 2013, 10:02:
If they make a new Total Annihilation (which is still the second best RTS ever after Sacrifice, which also curiously never had a sequel) please stay away from the modern tendency towards hero units.

While the commander is just such a thing, in modern games they are used as squad leaders with artificially restricted total numbers of units. TA battles are glorious ones of up to 200 at a time and the commander usually stays well back.

Well, TA did have veteran units (which counted kills), which I think became slightly more accurate. Such a great idea that I haven't seen implemented well since (CoH has vets, but there was nothing like having Big Bertha with 200 kills to its name.)

Usually the commander stays back... Usually. Don't forget about the dreaded Commander Transport rush on game settings where you had to destroy all units, not just the commander. The Commander's blew up nuclear style, so a well timed dropping of your commander in their base 2-3 minutes into the skirmish would totally destroy it.

So many fond memories of Cavedog, weekly new units, Mplayer and Kaili... Planetary Annihilation will probably be great, but I want some Arm vs Core action!

Veteran status was way more awesome (and ridiculous) in TA than in Supreme Commander. Since the units aimed faster and fired with more accuracy, and all units could fire at all other units, you could have veteran kbots that could shoot down planes.

I was playing a match against someone once that kept throwing hundreds and hundreds of T1 units against my (largely) T2 forces. I had a guardian(?), the T1 artillery piece for ARM, with so many kills that it could swivel and fire fast enough to shoot the fastest aircraft right out of the sky.

13. Re: Battlezone, Star Control & More Atari IP Sold: Chris Taylor and Total Annihilation Reunited Jul 22, 2013, 12:49 HoSpanky

Holy shit, I hope this means Moonbase Commander will get a sequel, or at least a gorgeous remake.  

12. Re: Battlezone, Star Control & More Atari IP Sold: Chris Taylor and Total Annihilation Reunited Jul 22, 2013, 12:38 Ozmodan

Worst news ever, Wargaming has Master of Orion IP.  

11. Re: Battlezone, Star Control & More Atari IP Sold: Chris Taylor and Total Annihilation Reunited Jul 22, 2013, 12:28 Jerykk

So... who owns Blood now?  

10. Re: Battlezone, Star Control & More Atari IP Sold: Chris Taylor and Total Annihilation Reunited Jul 22, 2013, 12:28 Topevoli

I totally annihilated my underwear when I heard this news.

If they make a new Total Annihilation (which is still the second best RTS ever after Sacrifice, which also curiously never had a sequel) please stay away from the modern tendency towards hero units.

While the commander is just such a thing, in modern games they are used as squad leaders with artificially restricted total numbers of units. TA battles are glorious ones of up to 200 at a time and the commander usually stays well back.

Well, TA did have veteran units (which counted kills), which I think became slightly more accurate. Such a great idea that I haven't seen implemented well since (CoH has vets, but there was nothing like having Big Bertha with 200 kills to its name.)

Usually the commander stays back... Usually. Don't forget about the dreaded Commander Transport rush on game settings where you had to destroy all units, not just the commander. The Commander's blew up nuclear style, so a well timed dropping of your commander in their base 2-3 minutes into the skirmish would totally destroy it.

So many fond memories of Cavedog, weekly new units, Mplayer and Kaili... Planetary Annihilation will probably be great, but I want some Arm vs Core action!

9. Re: Battlezone, Star Control & More Atari IP Sold: Chris Taylor and Total Annihilation Reunited Jul 22, 2013, 12:14 Optional Nickname!

TA battles are glorious ones of up to 200 at a time and the commander usually stays well back.

200?! You could have thousands of units on maps as large as continents perpetually smashing each other into little bits.

Whilst Jeremy Soule music played approvingly...

8. Re: Battlezone, Star Control & More Atari IP Sold: Chris Taylor and Total Annihilation Reunited Jul 22, 2013, 10:28 dj LiTh

I have no faith in Chrissy T. anymore  

7. Re: Battlezone, Star Control & More Atari IP Sold: Chris Taylor and Total Annihilation Reunited Jul 22, 2013, 10:25 nin

Jivaro wrote on Jul 22, 2013, 10:20:
As long as someone else other than Atari has them it is an improvement.

True!

http://store.nin.com/index.php?cPath=10

6. Re: Battlezone, Star Control & More Atari IP Sold: Chris Taylor and Total Annihilation Reunited Jul 22, 2013, 10:20 Jivaro

As long as someone else other than Atari has them it is an improvement.  

25 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo