Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

On Sale

• Assassin’s Creed III on Steam. Save 40%.
  • Counter-Strike: Global Offensive on Steam. Save 66%.
  • Natural Selection 2 on Steam. Save 75%.
  • Omerta - City of Gangsters on Steam. Save 75%.
  • Prison Architect on Steam. Save 34%.
  • Saints Row: The Third on Steam. Save 75%.
  • Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed on Steam. Save 75%.
  • StarForge on Steam. Save 50%.
  • STAR WARS: Knights of the Old Republic II on Steam. Save 66%.
  • Worms Revolution on Steam. Save 75%.

View
27 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

27. Re: On Sale Jul 21, 2013, 11:53 Slashman

nin wrote on Jul 21, 2013, 11:38:
J wrote on Jul 21, 2013, 07:01:
Thank you for that link, Dev. I've already found one hidden gem in the sale: Sacrifice. I'm watching the TB video on it now.

I never played that one, but everyone seemed to speak highly of it, back in the day...

Sacrifice is an awesome game! I think what hampered its success may have been the weird art style. But I have never seen anyone make anything like it since.

It also took a lot of getting used to for people. I guess everyone was expecting a bog standard RTS but from a 3rd person perspective. It's a lot more complex than that.

With some love and balance tweaks, I think I would gladly pay $50 for a full remake.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

26. Re: On Sale Jul 21, 2013, 11:51 Cutter

PropheT wrote on Jul 21, 2013, 01:15:
Cutter wrote on Jul 20, 2013, 22:43:
I bought the new CoJ and Conquistador for $10 each and they're totally worth it. So yeah, look at it like the savings on some stuff buys you another game entirely.

Conquistador really deserves more attention. I'd been looking for it to drop in price, and was bummed when it missed the community choice vote. I finally just figured screw it and bought it anyway, and it's way better than I expected.

Agreed. $5 sale would have been better but I feel I've gotten way more value for it even at $10. I'd like to see more people grab it because it's a bloody good little game. And CoJ Gunslinger is a tremendous value at $10 too. The environmental design alone is worth it. There's some absolutely beautiful scenery in that game. There were points where I'd just stop and look around at stuff.

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

25. Re: On Sale Jul 21, 2013, 11:38 nin

J wrote on Jul 21, 2013, 07:01:
Thank you for that link, Dev. I've already found one hidden gem in the sale: Sacrifice. I'm watching the TB video on it now.

I never played that one, but everyone seemed to speak highly of it, back in the day...

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

24. Re: On Sale Jul 21, 2013, 07:01 J

23. Re: On Sale Jul 21, 2013, 03:07 Dev

fiftykyu wrote on Jul 20, 2013, 20:13:
I've heard of people using the category feature on steam to make a games inbox of sorts, start at the top and give a game, say, 15 minutes. If it doesn't grab them, put it in the "nope" category and uninstall it with a clear conscience. Sounds too much like work for something that's supposed to be fun, though.
I really like that idea. A nope, and maybe a finished category.

Good ole steam though with its ancient GUI, doesn't let you do things like multi categorize a single game. Or sort to things that its already categorized them for in the store like co-op.

Edit:
Oh also, valve always seems to like to make it hard to see the complete list of games on sale (in this event its 3000+) since they screw around with the front page during the sale event. Here's everything on sale sorted by metacritic score (valve basically hides this link from front page for some reason when the events go on, I got smart this time around and bookmarked it before the sale started)
steam list

This comment was edited on Jul 21, 2013, 05:06.

22. Re: On Sale Jul 21, 2013, 01:59 Verno

Somehow I did not own KOTOR2 on Steam and I shall remedy this and apply the finished content mod.  

Playing: South Park, Dark Souls 2
Watching: Enemy, Network, Wer

21. Re: On Sale Jul 21, 2013, 01:15 PropheT

Cutter wrote on Jul 20, 2013, 22:43:
I bought the new CoJ and Conquistador for $10 each and they're totally worth it. So yeah, look at it like the savings on some stuff buys you another game entirely.

Conquistador really deserves more attention. I'd been looking for it to drop in price, and was bummed when it missed the community choice vote. I finally just figured screw it and bought it anyway, and it's way better than I expected.

20. Re: On Sale Jul 20, 2013, 22:43 Cutter

$5 bucks isn't much, but when you start adding it up over all the games, DLC, etc. over the years it all starts to add up significantly. Fact is I ahve 148 hours on Skyrim so far without the DLC that's on 2 playthroughs and that's without the DLC or any major community mods. The only reason I'm willing to go back in at this point is Dragonborn, and Dawnguard to a lesser extent.

Hell, I've only got 130 hours in FNV and that's several playthroughs with all the DLC. So yeah, I'd rather take that $10 in savings on the 2 DLC and apply it so something else. I bought the new CoJ and Conquistador for $10 each and they're totally worth it. So yeah, look at it like the savings on some stuff buys you another game entirely.

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

19. Re: On Sale Jul 20, 2013, 22:27 xXBatmanXx

fiftykyu wrote on Jul 20, 2013, 21:56:
Aha, looks like the original Just Cause is $0.27 http://store.steampowered.com/app/6880/ - not sure if it's worth it, actually. Wasn't this the lousy port of the PS2 version? Although at that price, maybe it doesn't have to be good.

Played the HELL out of it on console - put a TON of time into it. it is fun. If you havent played it, it is well worth it. Open world game with a TON of content.

In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. / Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder.
Playing: New dad

18. Re: On Sale Jul 20, 2013, 22:00 Krovven

fiftykyu wrote on Jul 20, 2013, 21:56:
Aha, looks like the original Just Cause is $0.27 http://store.steampowered.com/app/6880/ - not sure if it's worth it, actually. Wasn't this the lousy port of the PS2 version? Although at that price, maybe it doesn't have to be good.

Based on comments in the Community Hub, you'd just be better off playing more JC2.

17. Re: On Sale Jul 20, 2013, 21:56 fiftykyu

16. Re: On Sale Jul 20, 2013, 21:50 PropheT

I've gotten some stuff that I enjoy that I probably wouldn't have grabbed otherwise because of this sale, but it's getting tiring when the community choice games are just repeat picks of things that have been on sale over and over again since it started. There have been a handful of games that didn't get the opportunity to be on sale other than the community choice, and they've wound up losing the vote to things that have been on flash sales or the main sale already :p  

15. Re: On Sale Jul 20, 2013, 21:22 Redmask

jacobvandy wrote on Jul 20, 2013, 20:37:
Yeah, but if you've grown your library to the point of needing categorization, you've pretty much brought that upon yourself, heh.

Not really. Steam games are cheap, it is totally reasonable to expect people to have enough games that they need categories. Shit I needed categories when I had 50 games, it's just easier when sorted and managed.

14. Re: On Sale Jul 20, 2013, 20:43 Prez

Believe it or not I have every intention of playing all of the games in my Steam (and GOG) library. How exactly I'll make that happen is still somewhat of a, as I like to call it, 'mysterious mystery', sort of like the mystery of how I'll retire on the 5% per year my 401k is yielding.  

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

13. Re: On Sale Jul 20, 2013, 20:37 jacobvandy

fiftykyu wrote on Jul 20, 2013, 20:13:
I've heard of people using the category feature on steam to make a games inbox of sorts, start at the top and give a game, say, 15 minutes. If it doesn't grab them, put it in the "nope" category and uninstall it with a clear conscience. Sounds too much like work for something that's supposed to be fun, though.

Yeah, but if you've grown your library to the point of needing categorization, you've pretty much brought that upon yourself, heh.

12. Re: On Sale Jul 20, 2013, 20:13 fiftykyu

It does feel a bit silly, buying more games to throw in the backlog, when there's already a lifetime's worth in there.

And then I'll do something silly like replay an old game because now I have it on steam, while the hundreds I've yet to try are still sitting there, wondering when their turn will come.

11. Re: On Sale Jul 20, 2013, 20:04 killer_roach

xXBatmanXx wrote on Jul 20, 2013, 19:34:
Beamer wrote on Jul 20, 2013, 19:23:
I think most of us also realized that, after a few years of having a few hundred bucks, if not more, in games we know we'll never play, it isn't worth buying something in case we're bored on a rainy day.

I have over a hundred unplayed Steam games, and about 15 or 20 unplayed console games. I'm set for a lifetime of potential rainy days.

Yea, I have 2 midsize boxes of games from GoGamer when it was still alive and well from when I did a large buy period of games cause I knew my income would shrink taking this job. So I have 30 or so boxed games to play for PC, another 20+ console games, and a ridiculous amount of Steam games. I bounce around on games a lot, so I am ok with it. When I add it all up, it isn't really that much....just seems like a lot (money wise).

/and now with the PS3+, I am getting all of those games free as well! ehehheeh I am underwater with time vs games avail. It is insane. A sickness.

I am thinking about doing that "Play 1 game a day until list is gone through" so getting 2-12 hours per game. Then going back to games that take more time or are worth the time. Start building categories in Steam Library. The problem is there are so many great games that take 100+ hours of my time that I really enjoy....and I just dug the NES and Atari out of the basement and set them up.....

I just accumulate when things are dirt cheap - my thought process is that, after a while, pretty much everybody's gotten my money at one point or another.

10. Re: On Sale Jul 20, 2013, 20:04 Krovven

xXBatmanXx wrote on Jul 20, 2013, 19:34:
...and I just dug the NES and Atari out of the basement and set them up.....

...and that was the sound of the wife walking out the door

9. Re: On Sale Jul 20, 2013, 19:34 xXBatmanXx

Beamer wrote on Jul 20, 2013, 19:23:
I think most of us also realized that, after a few years of having a few hundred bucks, if not more, in games we know we'll never play, it isn't worth buying something in case we're bored on a rainy day.

I have over a hundred unplayed Steam games, and about 15 or 20 unplayed console games. I'm set for a lifetime of potential rainy days.

Yea, I have 2 midsize boxes of games from GoGamer when it was still alive and well from when I did a large buy period of games cause I knew my income would shrink taking this job. So I have 30 or so boxed games to play for PC, another 20+ console games, and a ridiculous amount of Steam games. I bounce around on games a lot, so I am ok with it. When I add it all up, it isn't really that much....just seems like a lot (money wise).

/and now with the PS3+, I am getting all of those games free as well! ehehheeh I am underwater with time vs games avail. It is insane. A sickness.

I am thinking about doing that "Play 1 game a day until list is gone through" so getting 2-12 hours per game. Then going back to games that take more time or are worth the time. Start building categories in Steam Library. The problem is there are so many great games that take 100+ hours of my time that I really enjoy....and I just dug the NES and Atari out of the basement and set them up.....

This comment was edited on Jul 20, 2013, 19:42.

In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. / Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder.
Playing: New dad

8. Re: On Sale Jul 20, 2013, 19:23 Beamer

xXBatmanXx wrote on Jul 20, 2013, 19:15:
Beamer wrote on Jul 20, 2013, 18:21:
xXBatmanXx wrote on Jul 20, 2013, 17:32:
jacobvandy wrote on Jul 20, 2013, 16:24:
xXBatmanXx wrote on Jul 20, 2013, 15:56:
Yea for what you can get the whole Skyrim package for, 9.99 is to high for Dragonborn. Also waiting for 5.00.

And that is exactly the kind of flawed reasoning that makes people take a shit on Steam sales now, lol... It's not that they aren't reducing prices as much as they always have, it's that we've all been spoiled by deep discounts and don't appreciate them anymore. Can't you just accept that you get an amazing deal on the base game, and then a not as great but still pretty darn good one on a much newer, full-fledged expansion pack? C'mon, son.

Nope, look at my games list. I have the 3rd highest number of games as other BN peeps. It isn't worth it to me (there is so much content already in Skyrim) and I have so much time in the game across 2 platforms, that I don't need a $10 DLC, but I would start playing again for a $5 DLC.

I am a "session" game player. I will play the SHIT out of 1 game for 6-14 hours at a time, then put it down for a few months. Or I play video game ADD and play a lot of games a little bit (30 mins to 2 hours).

So....no, I can't think that way.

You have about 35% the games of Prez.
Get crackin!

Its a marathon, not a sprint!
I buy less than I used to, my income is 70% of what it was when I was in the corporate world.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

27 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo