Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Wasteland 2 Beta in October; Release Delayed

A Kickstarter update for Wasteland 2 has word from inXile entertainment leader Brian Fargo on progress on their crowd-funded RPG sequel, indicating it has suffered a bit of an overfunding-caused delay, though unlike the similarly delayed Broken Age, he notes they are working well within their larger-than-expected budget. He says they expect to have a feature-complete version within the next month, saying this is about six weeks after he would have hoped, and that they plan to begin beta testing in October, and will set a new release date after that. Here's word:

You have helped make this game a reality and you will be with us to the end in shaping the final piece through your comments. The best moments in a reactive RPG come during this phase, which provides for touches and details that could have never all been captured in the upfront design. The beta testing will be critical to help us hone in on finalizing a game that can become a classic. And with your help and input we will release the game when itís ready.

Thanks to this new crowd sourced model of game production we have the luxury of working on a game that wonít be rushed out the door. Under the old process we would often have either retail or a publisher pressuring us to ship a game before we were happy with it. Or the more draconian measure of being sued or having the game handed to another developer to finish, (yes those clauses are fairly common) if we wanted to spend more time polishing our little gemÖ fortunately we have NONE of this.

Once the beta testing begins in October and once we have enough feedback from testing, we can evaluate where weíre at and set a new release date. By that stage, over ten thousand of our backers will have gotten to play the game with us. In the end, quality comes before everything and fortunately the backers have been in line with us to make sure we get it right.

View
17 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

17. Re: Wasteland 2 Beta in October; Release Delayed Jul 20, 2013, 16:20 Julio

I was referring to Double Fine going through their Kickstarter money and not having a good enough plan. Harebrained have other issues, as RollinThunder mentions.  
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

16. Re: Wasteland 2 Beta in October; Release Delayed Jul 20, 2013, 12:23 RollinThundr

Squirmer wrote on Jul 19, 2013, 20:09:
He means Double Fine I'm guessing. They're only releasing the first half of their game to begin with because they ran out of money.

Hairbrained I'm guessing, since the backed Shadowrun bonus goals will be done as an expansion instead of being in the core product free to KS backers.

15. Re: Wasteland 2 Beta in October; Release Delayed Jul 20, 2013, 11:02 Chromius

I am very excited for this.

I played Wasteland on an Apple IIc in 1988 in an open squad bay barracks at Camp Foster in Okinawa Japan.

Yoi ichi-nichi o sugosu

14. Re: Wasteland 2 Beta in October; Release Delayed Jul 20, 2013, 09:30 Mad Max RW

I'm calling a summer 2014 release.  

13. Re: Wasteland 2 Beta in October; Release Delayed Jul 20, 2013, 05:17 jdreyer

Cutter wrote on Jul 19, 2013, 22:14:
Hope they can still get it out for Xmas.

Because you're going to buy it for me for Christymas?

"It's just a bunch of mystic bovine scatology to me." - 1badmf

12. Re: Wasteland 2 Beta in October; Release Delayed Jul 20, 2013, 01:08 Dev

Cutter wrote on Jul 19, 2013, 22:14:
I think they could. Just depends on if they fall further behind or not. Right now they are only about 6 weeks behind from what he says.

11. Re: Wasteland 2 Beta in October; Release Delayed Jul 19, 2013, 23:57 netnerd85

yep Popcorn  

10. Re: Wasteland 2 Beta in October; Release Delayed Jul 19, 2013, 22:14 Cutter

"Nobody wants to be nobody in America. Ed is the apotheosis of a prevailing American syndrome. It used to be that someone became famous because they were special. Now people are considered special just for being famous. Fame, itself, is its own virtue.

9. Re: Wasteland 2 Beta in October; Release Delayed Jul 19, 2013, 22:02 Mad Max RW

Unlike the Double Fine delay, there is nothing about this that has me worried. Brian Fargo is still a good businessman and a very humble person. Although I never once believed they would make an October 2013 release.  

8. Re: Wasteland 2 Beta in October; Release Delayed Jul 19, 2013, 21:56 RaZ0r!

I'm starting to reach a point where I really don't want to buy a game unless it is crowd funded for the very reasons they state they are able to take the extra time to do it right.

Of course if I had backed Broken Age I think I'd feel the opposite.

This comment was edited on Jul 19, 2013, 22:06.

7. Re: Wasteland 2 Beta in October; Release Delayed Jul 19, 2013, 20:59 Dev

Some other bits from the update:
I can happily announce that we remain well financed for development, thus allowing us to ship a product without compromise. This is primarily due to our disciplined spending, project planning and the benefit of our back catalog sales to cover any extra product features and content we loved.
Itís also important to note that we do not profit from the monies raised from crowd funding as we take 100% of that money (plus extra money in our case) and put it into the game, a game that we can be proud of and one that can become a classic.
This feature complete playable is about 6 weeks behind where I had wanted it to be but I canít be too surprised considering the increased scope.
Unity has played a huge part in allowing us to make a game of this scale in a short period of time. The ease of use with Unity, the asset store and our working with the crowd to help source additional content has allowed us to spend less time on the mundane and more on the creative aspects.
The process for development of this game is one that was born from necessity and has made us smarter about how to deliver an amazing amount of content for a reasonable budget. We have also benefited from having just one game in production at a time.

6. Re: Wasteland 2 Beta in October; Release Delayed Jul 19, 2013, 20:30 dj LiTh

Wish i would of backed this but i had to pay bills :/

Who's lame? <- This guy right here

5. Re: Wasteland 2 Beta in October; Release Delayed Jul 19, 2013, 20:19 nin

Better to take the time and get it right - I'm fine with the delay.

http://store.nin.com/index.php?cPath=10

4. Re: Wasteland 2 Beta in October; Release Delayed Jul 19, 2013, 20:09 Squirmer

He means Double Fine I'm guessing. They're only releasing the first half of their game to begin with because they ran out of money.  

3. Re: Wasteland 2 Beta in October; Release Delayed Jul 19, 2013, 20:06 mellis

Julio wrote on Jul 19, 2013, 19:41:
Sounds good to me, happy to have backed this one. Doesn't sound like they blew all their cash like another developer we could name.

I'm curious which Kickstarter funded developer that blew all their cash you are referring to?

2. Re: Wasteland 2 Beta in October; Release Delayed Jul 19, 2013, 19:41 Julio

Sounds good to me, happy to have backed this one. Doesn't sound like they blew all their cash like another developer we could name.  

1. Re: Wasteland 2 Beta in October; Release Delayed Jul 19, 2013, 19:39 Riker

This remains the only thing I've backed on Kickstarer (I'm poor), and I remain very confident in that decision. Can't wait.  

17 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo