Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Dota 2 for OS X and Linux Released

Steam News has details on a new automatic update for Dota 2 that adds Mac OS X and Linux support to the MOBA game. There are other changes in the patch, but here's the portion concerning the new OS support:

Dota 2 is now available for Mac OS X and Linux.

Dota 2 Mac OS X Minimum System Requirements:
Mac OS X Lion 10.7
4GB RAM
8GB Hard drive space
nVidia 320M or higher, or Radeon 7000 or higher, or Intel HD 3000 or higher

Dota 2 Linux Minimum System Requirements:
Ubuntu 12.04
Dual core from Intel or AMD at 2.8 GHz
4GB RAM
8GB Hard Drive Space,
nVidia GeForce 8600/9600GT, ATI/AMD Radeaon HD2600/3600 (Graphic Drivers: nVidia 310, AMD 12.11), OpenGL 2.1
OpenAL Compatible Sound Card

View
6 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

6. Re: Dota 2 for OS X and Linux Released Jul 19, 2013, 21:53 CrashTestDummy

[SC]TherMight wrote on Jul 19, 2013, 17:56:
My buddy is getting this for Linux. Can a Windows 8 client play seemlessly together with Linux players? I assume so... but some games partition their community by OS/platform.

Thanks in advance. And thanks for those tips above.

I'm not a 100% sure, but I think most source engine games are cross OS compatible. They mostly only separate the user base based on whether you're using a PC or a console, and even that is mostly because they are contractually bound to connect via XBox Live or PSN and are thus forced to be exclusive to that platform. There is nothing in the underlying source code that prevents cross platform play.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

5. Re: Dota 2 for OS X and Linux Released Jul 19, 2013, 20:48 dj LiTh

[SC]TherMight wrote on Jul 19, 2013, 17:56:
My buddy is getting this for Linux. Can a Windows 8 client play seemlessly together with Linux players? I assume so... but some games partition their community by OS/platform.

If thats the case then i feel really sorry for all 7 of the linux dota2 players...

As for dota or MOBA's in general, they are a game of strategy and skill. Not the macro skill needed for most RTS's but the little used micro skill, for who know what those two terms are.

4. Re: Dota 2 for OS X and Linux Released Jul 19, 2013, 18:58 rist3903

Play bots if there is a huge difference in skill levels between you and your friends. Much easier to take a loss vs them and they can be somewhat challenging, depending on how bad your new friend is.

3. Re: Dota 2 for OS X and Linux Released Jul 19, 2013, 17:56 [SC]TherMight

2. Re: Dota 2 for OS X and Linux Released Jul 19, 2013, 14:25 CrashTestDummy

Beelzebud wrote on Jul 19, 2013, 13:20:
It runs flawless on my Arch Linux install. Now if only I could see what's in the game that makes so many people go nuts over it.

Its not easy to get into. Speaking as a long time player since the original DotA in 2004, the community can be hostile, the amount of stuff to learn is staggering (with over 102 heroes and 130+ items), and a bunch of wierd interactions between multiple hero skills and items (which can only be learned by playing a lot).

The easiest way to get into it is to find 3-4 friends at nearly the same level as you, and keep playing with them to have fun. Don't play with friends who are clearly better than you at the beginning, because DotA destroys friendships, especially if you're a slow learner (although no one accepts that they are).

However it is really fun and borderline addictive if you really get into it.

1. Re: Dota 2 for OS X and Linux Released Jul 19, 2013, 13:20 Beelzebud

It runs flawless on my Arch Linux install. Now if only I could see what's in the game that makes so many people go nuts over it.  

6 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo