Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Out of the Blue

My efforts at adding barbequing to my grilling repertoire continue apace, as I managed to hold a 225 temperature for a rack of ribs for five hours, to great result. This was a batch of baby backs, though that would have suited the slow-cooking demands of spare ribs, which I will probably try next. I'm working my way up to one day attempting a port shoulder, so this was another baby (back) step towards that goal.

R.I.P.: Schoep. :(

Spare Links: Thanks Ant and Acleacius.
Play: The Lonely King.
Symbiosis Greenland.
Stories: Barbie fights for her life.
Detroit files largest municipal bankruptcy in U.S history.
Science: Meet ATLAS. Video.
New Study Shows That Dogs Use Color Vision After All. Thanks Brandon.
Media: The Dos and Don'ts of Cosplaying While Black. NSFW. Thanks nin.
New York Versus Texas.
Dog happy to see her human companion return. These always get me.
Corgi Dexter's First Pool (Original). Thanks nin.

View
33 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

33. Re: Detriot Jul 23, 2013, 22:28 Sepharo

RollinThundr wrote on Jul 23, 2013, 15:04:
Sepharo wrote on Jul 22, 2013, 18:32:
That was far more words than necessary for you to just blame it all on "liberals" like you always do.

I don't think it's all liberal policy in this case, obviously there are many factors that contributed to it, losing that many people over the last decade or two, the US auto industry tanking etc etc.

But ignoring the fact that there are cities in the US that are now on the brink of bankruptcy which were/are totally liberal run cities over the past 40 years, is dishonest.

When I think corrupt politics I think of two cities in particular, 3 if you include DC. Chicago and Detroit, both of which are shitholes and both of which have been dominated by progressive liberal policy for decades. If you're going to pretend that isn't a contributing factor, well that's your problem.

It's definitely in there. I think Howdy Doody said it pretty well and got most of them. Their full Detroit segment is worth watching too. Personally I'd say the major reasons are white flight and corruption (including union corruption). Was reading about Milliken v. Bradley the other day and how some consider that the turning point for Detroit even more so than the 67 riots.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

32. Re: Detriot Jul 23, 2013, 15:04 RollinThundr

Sepharo wrote on Jul 22, 2013, 18:32:
That was far more words than necessary for you to just blame it all on "liberals" like you always do.

I don't think it's all liberal policy in this case, obviously there are many factors that contributed to it, losing that many people over the last decade or two, the US auto industry tanking etc etc.

But ignoring the fact that there are cities in the US that are now on the brink of bankruptcy which were/are totally liberal run cities over the past 40 years, is dishonest.

When I think corrupt politics I think of two cities in particular, 3 if you include DC. Chicago and Detroit, both of which are shitholes and both of which have been dominated by progressive liberal policy for decades. If you're going to pretend that isn't a contributing factor, well that's your problem.

31. Re: Detriot Jul 22, 2013, 18:32 Sepharo

30. Re: Detriot Jul 22, 2013, 14:16 RollinThundr

Sepharo wrote on Jul 19, 2013, 21:37:
Mr. Tact wrote on Jul 19, 2013, 10:37:
Once the fourth largest city in the US.. it is somewhat stunning a major metro area could fall that far and pretty much so completely. Let's just hope it isn't a sign of things to come elsewhere...

It's not the metro area. Metro Detroit is one of the strongest metro areas in the nation. It's not even the businesses of Detroit, they're currently experiencing more growth and investment than they have in over 30 years. It's just the city proper which has been run by absolute morons for 30 years. But most of all it's the dropping population. You can't drop half your population in 30 years and maintain a sprawling city like Detroit. So they shut the services down, the neighborhoods get worse, more people leave. But something that still exists from "bigger" times are the pensions of all those public employees who used to maintain the city and that's what's prompted this bankruptcy. I don't know the answer to that one though... take away people's pensions?

edit: Also, while the recession didn't help things Detroit was fucked long before that. In fact Detroit did better during the recession than most areas because we had already been through it. Bailing out the domestic auto companies was and is still huge but the current investment downtown is thanks to our man Dan Gilbert and his friends.

Oh yeah the greedy AWU and 50 years of progressive policies and total liberal control had nothing to do with it. It's ok when Illinois and Comiefornia follow the same path maybe people will wake up at that point.

29. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 20, 2013, 12:50 nin

xXBatmanXx wrote on Jul 20, 2013, 11:52:
nin wrote on Jul 19, 2013, 22:10:
Sepharo wrote on Jul 19, 2013, 21:26:
What kind of insanity prompts a hardware maker to include only composite cables with a console / Blu-ray player in 2013?

hehe...I made sure to order one (HDMI) when I placed the initial amazon order.

I buy 6 or so at a time online in various sizes. I have 1-2 left, so it is time to order again. I was actually surprised that the PS3 didn't come with one. Something tells me an HDMI cable is cheaper to make/acquire than this odd ass looking composite cable!?

The PS4 apparently does come with one...

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

28. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 20, 2013, 11:52 xXBatmanXx

nin wrote on Jul 19, 2013, 22:10:
What kind of insanity prompts a hardware maker to include only composite cables with a console / Blu-ray player in 2013?

I buy 6 or so at a time online in various sizes. I have 1-2 left, so it is time to order again. I was actually surprised that the PS3 didn't come with one. Something tells me an HDMI cable is cheaper to make/acquire than this odd ass looking composite cable!?

In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. / Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder.
Playing: New dad

27. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 19, 2013, 22:12 Sepharo

I had some laying around... but what the hell am I going to do with this composite cable?  

26. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 19, 2013, 22:10 nin

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

25. Re: Detriot Jul 19, 2013, 21:37 Sepharo

Once the fourth largest city in the US.. it is somewhat stunning a major metro area could fall that far and pretty much so completely. Let's just hope it isn't a sign of things to come elsewhere...

It's not the metro area. Metro Detroit is one of the strongest metro areas in the nation. It's not even the businesses of Detroit, they're currently experiencing more growth and investment than they have in over 30 years. It's just the city proper which has been run by absolute morons for 30 years. But most of all it's the dropping population. You can't drop half your population in 30 years and maintain a sprawling city like Detroit. So they shut the services down, the neighborhoods get worse, more people leave. But something that still exists from "bigger" times are the pensions of all those public employees who used to maintain the city and that's what's prompted this bankruptcy. I don't know the answer to that one though... take away people's pensions?

edit: Also, while the recession didn't help things Detroit was fucked long before that. In fact Detroit did better during the recession than most areas because we had already been through it. Bailing out the domestic auto companies was and is still huge but the current investment downtown is thanks to our man Dan Gilbert and his friends.

This comment was edited on Jul 19, 2013, 21:43.

24. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 19, 2013, 21:26 Sepharo

23. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 19, 2013, 19:06  Blue 

MEAHT wrote on Jul 19, 2013, 12:14:
hey Blue,
Did you wrap the baby backs in foil for half the last 3 hours? We did this just recently and the ribs were super moist!
thanks
MEAHT

Just of the last hour, but they came out pretty moist anyway. I didn't do like the competition BBQers and throw butter and brown sugar in there, just wrapped them.

Stephen "Blue" Heaslip
Blue's News Publisher, Editor-in-Chief, El Presidente for Life

22. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 19, 2013, 17:25 xXBatmanXx

Confused Obama.......*sigh*  

In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. / Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder.
Playing: New dad

21. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 19, 2013, 16:13 Cutter

Hrm, Atlas + Detroit going bankrupt. Coincidence?

.....In the near future, Detroit, Michigan is on the verge of collapse due to financial ruin and unchecked crime. The mega-corporation Omni Consumer Products (OCP) enters into a contract with the city to run the police force. OCP plans to demolish "Old Detroit" and redevelop it as a high-end utopia called "Delta City." To address the city's crime, OCP tests several projects to engineer robotic law enforcement. During a presentation of a project spearheaded by the senior president, Dick Jones, the ED-209 enforcement droid malfunctions and kills a junior executive. With Delta City's construction scheduled to begin within months, the OCP Chairman immediately advances an alternative put forth by an ambitious, middle-ranking executive named Bob Morton. Morton calls his cyborg project "RoboCop."

James Woods: Oh that's fun. That sounds like you had a fun time. Where would I fit in with the fun time, huh? Where does James Woods fit into the fun?

20. ATLAS Jul 19, 2013, 15:30 Cyanotetyphas

For that DARPA robot, I'm especially impressed by the balancing act after being hit by a weight. Seems like we're getting close to a bipedal robot getting common usage.  

Synthetic Error - Entertainment bloggin http://syntheticerror.wordpress.com/

19. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 19, 2013, 15:14 Prez

nin wrote on Jul 19, 2013, 10:11:
Schoep just had a birthday, I want to say his 20th. His sudden departure really brought me down yesterday.

He was so cute...

People might say he had a long life, but until dogs start living a hundred years or more, they all die too soon. I feel for his owner; this is one of the worst feelings in the world. Rest and be free Shoep.

Goodbye my Monte boy. May you rest in the peace you never knew in life.

18. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 19, 2013, 14:44 NegaDeath

"Dog happy to see her human companion return."

Damn onions.

17. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 19, 2013, 14:16 Bill Borre

lol. ATLAS reminds me of Arnim Zola. I wonder if it has a voice box with a German accent?  

16. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 19, 2013, 14:07 PropheT

If it stays like it has been the last few days you can hold a steady 225 without even lighting the grill  

15. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 19, 2013, 13:22 Will W

Definitely get a full rack of spare ribs and cut them down to a St. Louis style rib yourself, that way you can have the rib tips as a greasy yummy snack while waiting for the ribs to finish.

Don't hold off on the pork butt, they're easy and you should give them a run. They do take a while to cook and EVERYONE has a different idea of how to cook it. I suggest you use a bone-in shoulder, I think they come off of the smoker with a better pork flavor and seem to hold their moisture much better at a higher temperature.

Here is a good article about wrapping and temperature rise in smoked meat.....talks about how basting isn't all it's cracked up to be.

Long URL, had to make it a tag

14. Re: Detriot Jul 19, 2013, 13:15 RollinThundr

Cutter wrote on Jul 19, 2013, 13:10:
RollinThundr wrote on Jul 19, 2013, 10:49:

50 years of liberal management and corrupt unions will do that to a city. Chicago's next.

How odd, given that it's Blue States that subsidize Red ones. But hey, as usual, never let the facts get in your way, huh Trollin?

That is the fact, Detroit along with Chicago are two of the biggest shitholes in the US. It's also fact both cities have been run by democrats for the last 50 years or so. Liberal fiscal policy fails every time, in Detroit's case there were other factors as well what with the US automotive industry collapsing, along with all the corrupt officials, remember Kwame Kilpatrick?

33 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo