Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Battlefield 4 Campaign Details

The Battlefield Blog offers a couple of high-resolution renders of a couple of Battlefield 4 squad mates to accompany details about the campaign Tombstone squad will conduct as they fight for peace all around the globe. Here's the intro: "The world is on the brink of chaos, China is the tinderbox and you and your squad are the inadvertent spark that could ignite a global conflict. This is Battlefield 4. As Sergeant Daniel Recker, you play as a member of an elite group of unlikely heroes known as Tombstone squad, navigating the turmoil around you as you fight to save the final hope for peace."

View
24 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

24. Re: Battlefield 4 Campaign Details Jul 20, 2013, 23:14 Ant

Jackplug wrote on Jul 20, 2013, 11:20:
ZZZZzzzzzzzz
Top!

Ant @ The Ant Farm: http://antfarm.ma.cx and Ant's Quality Foraged Links: http://aqfl.net ...
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

23. Re: Battlefield 4 Campaign Details Jul 20, 2013, 11:20 Jackplug

ZZZZzzzzzzzz  

22. Re: Battlefield 4 Campaign Details Jul 19, 2013, 14:49 bhcompy

BF3 single player was pretty good. It's the first time they actually truly tried to have a singleplayer, too, and it worked out pretty well. The earthquake scene and surrounding time were all very fun and well scripted  

21. Re: Battlefield 4 Campaign Details Jul 19, 2013, 12:27 Optional Nickname!

WTF ...If it is not a more visually realistic BF2 then you are selling me the sizzle and not the steak...BBQ.

20. Re: Battlefield 4 Campaign Details Jul 19, 2013, 02:49 eRe4s3r

SlimRam wrote on Jul 18, 2013, 19:47:
....also funny that the AI most games have is all stemmed from the AI developed by a modder for either Quake or Quake 2, i can't remember which one. But long story short, almost all FPS AI is stemmed from this very old code, as it's perfect for point-to-point.

If I'm not mistaken your talking about the 'Reaper Bot', and it was for Quake 1 I believe? Had TONS of fun playing with those bots! The AI was quite good as long as the pathing had been setup for the map you downloaded. And if I am not mistaken again, Epic actually HIRED the guy that made the reaper bot to program the AI for the first 'Unreal' Ahhhh good times and great gaming memories!

It's also why Battlefield 3 and 4 don't and won't have MP bot support. On large maps with air and ground, water and underwater areas you can no longer waypoint correctly. You'd need to code different AI for each of these situations. And nobody so far managed to do this correctly without waypoints.

You remember UT2k4 , these bots had great performance on their set levels, but making waypoints for maps is a mega huge hassle and takes often longer than making the entire map to begin with.

Also for the record, EPIC's unreal bots were indeed some of the best and Reaper bot is the reason for that. But these bots don't work with dynamically changing level elements which is why Battlefield doesn't have bots anymore. Destruction made it literally impossible, unless someone comes up with a really cool and cpu friendly way to make bots behave properly on constantly changing map layouts and situations.

You'll see this kind of stuff probably only when we have more cpu cores than bots in game. 1 core per bot would work really well and allow some insane AI stuff. Sadly.. you'd need a 128 core cpu ;p

This comment was edited on Jul 19, 2013, 02:55.

19. Re: Battlefield 4 Campaign Details Jul 19, 2013, 01:05 DangerDog

If you could play the campaign up to 4 player co-op and the maps were more sandboxy it would be fun. They put too much emphasis on cut scenes and quicktime events, some of Bad Company 2 single player was nice and open but I don't recall anything but call of duty type levels in BF3.  

18. Re: Battlefield 4 Campaign Details Jul 18, 2013, 21:47 LittleMe

MoreLuckThanSkill wrote on Jul 18, 2013, 16:31:
Bleh, any Battlefield single player campaign. Waste of resources.

Well the thinking is that the single player campaign generates its own sales so it pays for itself. But if you mean resources as developers, then maybe so. I don't know Dice's staff resources.

MoreLuckThanSkill wrote on Jul 18, 2013, 16:31:
Especially when the single player campaign vehicle physics, FPS weapons etc. are all different from multiplayer. It literally hinders you rather than helps you for future multiplayer.

Oh yeah I guess from a technical standpoint yes the single player probably does hinder the MP game. A game solely focused on MP will probably be more focused, easier to work with and less resource intensive than one developed for both SP and MP.

Political freedom can only be preceded by economic freedom which is preceded by monetary freedom.

17. Re: Battlefield 4 Campaign Details Jul 18, 2013, 20:46 Parias

ItBurn wrote on Jul 18, 2013, 17:31:
You guys are telling me that you actually enjoy the COD-style single player campaigns? I mean, I liked the first COD and the first modern warfare, but I mean, seriously? You want more of that?

Sure - if it's done well, I'll get a lot more enjoyment out of a decently-scripted singleplayer campaign than out of a multiplayer shooter. BF3 is a bit of an exception for me because I find the multiplayer is fun regardless, but singleplayer will always be my primary choice over competitive gameplay.

MoreLuckThanSkill wrote on Jul 18, 2013, 20:23:
Wow, I'm surprised there is so much BF4 Single player support on here. Even if you do like the campaign, are you honestly going to play it more than once?

Yeah, why not? I've had more than a few playthroughs of singleplayer for the COD series - I thought the singleplayer campaigns were pretty well done. Every few months when I let the singleplayer memories fade, I'll boot them up for another playthrough.

Again, I also don't particularly disagree with the sentiment that singleplayer is a bit of an odd fit for the Battlefield franchise - I understand and in some respects agree with the argument that these resources could be better spent making an improved multiplayer instead. But it doesn't seem like it's going to go away, and what I've seen so far doesn't seem terrible - I'll probably have fun playing it. My argument being, there ARE definitely gamers out there who enjoy (and even prefer) a singleplayer experience and don't see this as a bad thing. An odd fit, perhaps, but not a bad thing.

16. Re: Battlefield 4 Campaign Details Jul 18, 2013, 20:23 MoreLuckThanSkill

Wow, I'm surprised there is so much BF4 Single player support on here. Even if you do like the campaign, are you honestly going to play it more than once? Yet unfortunately the developers will be forced to spend the lion's share of their time and money on the single player, almost always to the detriment of the multi-player.

Of course there are so many dump trucks full of cash headed towards DICE that it won't really matter, but it's still slightly annoying.

TL,DR: Boo, Single player BF series supporters.

Also if you played BF1942 and were looking for single player...for shame! The point of BF1942 was to run the enemy over with Spitfires and Zeroes. Occasionally, get into a tank and wreak havoc. The End.

PS. For comparison, I realize that DotA/MOBA games are not for me. Maybe multi-player oriented FPS/vehicle games are not for some people also? Something to consider.

15. Re: Battlefield 4 Campaign Details Jul 18, 2013, 19:47 SlimRam

....also funny that the AI most games have is all stemmed from the AI developed by a modder for either Quake or Quake 2, i can't remember which one. But long story short, almost all FPS AI is stemmed from this very old code, as it's perfect for point-to-point.

If I'm not mistaken your talking about the 'Reaper Bot', and it was for Quake 1 I believe? Had TONS of fun playing with those bots! The AI was quite good as long as the pathing had been setup for the map you downloaded. And if I am not mistaken again, Epic actually HIRED the guy that made the reaper bot to program the AI for the first 'Unreal' Ahhhh good times and great gaming memories!

"Jet black is my dirty hair, jet black my heart and car. My lips are red, my skin snow white, my face is battle scarred"

L.A. GUNS - Over The Edge

14. Re: Battlefield 4 Campaign Details Jul 18, 2013, 19:28 Deepjay

That plot sounds like it was written by a 12 year old.  

13. Re: Battlefield 4 Campaign Details Jul 18, 2013, 19:17 Slick

eunichron wrote on Jul 18, 2013, 18:29:
It's funny, I remember when BF1942 came out everyone complained about how its lack of single player sucked and they didn't want to just play against bots...

Fast forward 10 years and everyone's bitching about how single player is a waste of resources and all the game is good for is multiplayer...

This.

Also to the guy above me saying that BF is just a blatant CoD rip-off with terrible AI...

1) The AI has to contend with destructible environments, this is much different to code for than standard point-to-point AI with a static level.

2) I'd say that BF is a modern shooter, that's about it. It's a genre. Just because CoD is the only game you know of this genre only makes your ignorance more obvious. If anything i'd call both BF and CoD "blatently ripping off Action Quake" because to my knowledge that was the first true modern FPS.

....also funny that the AI most games have is all stemmed from the AI developed by a modder for either Quake or Quake 2, i can't remember which one. But long story short, almost all FPS AI is stemmed from this very old code, as it's perfect for point-to-point. Destruction just fucks that system up, and there's yet to be a giant leap forward with the AI contending with dynamic environments yet. Hope it happens soon though, hate dumb AI in otherwise smart games. And still all that being said, the BF AI does manage quite well considering the nightmare it must be to code.

12. Re: Battlefield 4 Campaign Details Jul 18, 2013, 18:37 Flak

eunichron wrote on Jul 18, 2013, 18:29:
Fast forward 10 years and everyone's bitching about how single player is a waste of resources and all the game is good for is multiplayer...

It might help if the single-player wasn't a blatant CoD clone with some of the worst enemy (and squad) A.I. since Arma 2. Anyone who buys Battlefield for single player should probably be neutered.

This comment was edited on Jul 18, 2013, 18:50.

11. Re: Battlefield 4 Campaign Details Jul 18, 2013, 18:29 eunichron

It's funny, I remember when BF1942 came out everyone complained about how its lack of single player sucked and they didn't want to just play against bots...

10. Re: Battlefield 4 Campaign Details Jul 18, 2013, 18:21 Julio

"Fight to save the final hope for peace"...I can tell it's going to have a moving and compelling story. Just give me bots for multiplayer offline instead.  

9. Re: Battlefield 4 Campaign Details Jul 18, 2013, 17:44 Agent.X7

ItBurn wrote on Jul 18, 2013, 17:21:
I'm in the BF is a multiplayer game camp. Single player was tacked on in order to compete with COD's single player campaign. I'm also all for dropping single player to focus on the multi.

Same. The Bad Company games were OK, but it was all about the multiplayer for me. I didn't actually know BF3 had a single player. I remember some crap co-op maps I had to do in order to unlock some guns. Hated them.

Origin - JStarX7
STEAM - Agent.X7
PSN - JStar_X7
Xbox Live - Agent X7

8. Re: Battlefield 4 Campaign Details Jul 18, 2013, 17:31 ItBurn

You guys are telling me that you actually enjoy the COD-style single player campaigns? I mean, I liked the first COD and the first modern warfare, but I mean, seriously? You want more of that?  

7. Re: Battlefield 4 Campaign Details Jul 18, 2013, 17:27 RollinThundr

nin wrote on Jul 18, 2013, 16:33:
Bleh, any Battlefield single player campaign. Waste of resources.

Maybe to you, but it's the reason I'm interested in it...

Same, it's the same reason my excitement for Titanfall went down to pretty much zero since it's MP only.

6. Re: Battlefield 4 Campaign Details Jul 18, 2013, 17:21 ItBurn

I'm in the BF is a multiplayer game camp. Single player was tacked on in order to compete with COD's single player campaign. I'm also all for dropping single player to focus on the multi.  

5. Re: Battlefield 4 Campaign Details Jul 18, 2013, 17:16 fawker

OH MY GOD WHO CARES  

24 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo