Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

PlanetSide 2 Shelving Paid Implants

John Smedley tweets that SOE is shelving plans to add microtransaction-fuelled player buffs to PlanetSide 2 after player outcry, saying: "After reading through your comments we have decided to go back to the drawing board on implants." Massively explains what they were considering: "Implants were cheap consumables designed to offer specific abilities or bonuses over a short span of time."

View
9 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

9. Re: Publicity stunt... Jul 18, 2013, 22:19 [VG]Reagle

WHAAAAAAAATTTTTTTTT CRAAAAAAAAAAAAAPPPPPPPPPPPP!  

I am MUCH MUCH MUCH better now.
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

8. Re: Publicity stunt... Jul 18, 2013, 21:25 Ryan Lange

JohnBirshire wrote on Jul 18, 2013, 12:58:
I have no doubt in my mind whatsoever that they leaked "plans" to do it, just so they could turn around and say "Nevermind, we listened to our community and changed our minds" afterwards, and look like the good guy. Publicity stunt, nothing more.

Implants were on their Roadmap for months, highly rated by the community, and scheduled for this month; they were implemented, at least partially, on the Public Test Server; assets related to the Implants were dug out of the game's files; and the announcement came a week before the update they were in was to go live.

But, hey... who am I to keep you from your conspiracy theories? I'm sure they're quite satisfying.

7. Re: PlanetSide 2 Shelving Paid Implants Jul 18, 2013, 21:06 Veterator

I just played PS2 for the first time in about a month. Can't say it's changed much for the better.

I play TR, and while it's not on subject with the implants....I feel they don't handle the game balance well already. TR gets a lot of things that don't work very well, or are basically carbon copy weapons with just ever so slight differences. It's boring, but it's also pretty insulting that they can't come up with something fun to use even if it's not the best ever weapon....something with a role, that's fun to use in that role. That's all they have to do to appease many people.

Buying what is essentially, or will eventually become nearly, the same gun 25 times get's old.

This portion of their ineptitude starting pissing me off, spending money and ending up with almost carbon copy weapons after they "balance" them is bullshit. And most of the balancing just means they nerf them to sell a new gun...that shit wears people out.

Now that they've done that for 6 months, and they STILL HAVE NOT LEARNED ANYTHING because they come out with locked to a loadout, consumable, pay for, cert for items that A LOT of people wanted...but they haven't figured out that people don't want to pay for shit that becomes worthless (like their guns) or goes away (one use camos, they got rid of these things for a fucking reason).

And keep in mind the damn game already has a resource system built into it, that they keep trying to make more and more tedious. But instead of adding more items to it...you know...LIKE CONSUMABLE IMPLANTS YOU CAN BUY WITH IT..they just make stuff cost more. So you buy a membership or resource booster.

They spend more effort on trying to monetize the damn game than they do on making it enjoyable so people want to spend money on it.

Look at the roadmap and look at the stuff they haven't added or added anyway that no one wanted.

Like I've told others before. I am interested in PS2 enough, at this moment, to keep up on what they are doing with it. But if they keep up with this asinine way they have of completely missing the point constantly...I will stop caring. Then they will not be able to tempt me back without a lot of damn effort. And I suspect a lot of other people are right there at the line with me...because people play A LOT less than they used to.

Plus let's face it, SOE has a not-so-good track record with MMOs. PS1 in particular, they basically let that game rot on the vine after releasing expansion content no one much cared for. They simply do not know how to interpret what people do in game and ask for into something that adds to the experience in a positive way. It's always screwed up, annoying, or monetized in the most annoying and disheartening way possible.

If any of them read this, get a cert reset working. So we can get our hard work out of the guns and stuff you've completely trashed and put it into something that's worth a damn...for this round of patches at least. But I bet they read that and figure they could make money by cyclically ruining the weapons, and pimping out those cert resets.

Praise should not be given to them for about facing on this, it's worrying as hell that they thought it was a good idea in the first place. And makes me question even more of the changes they put forth, because it probably has some kind of non-obvious slight to the customer in it.

6. Re: PlanetSide 2 Shelving Paid Implants Jul 18, 2013, 19:49 jacobvandy

Uh, no... By definition, it is not pay-to-win if everyone is paying the same subscription and has the same access to the same buffs for no extra cost. That's just a design oversight and poor balance, if you can take a bunch of buffs from PVE and have an advantage in PVP. Most games don't allow that (I doubt WoW does anymore, though I can't be sure), because it's just not conducive to fair competition.

Pay-to-win would be giving you the option to spend real money on buffs or items which offer a competitive advantage over somebody who doesn't have them, especially if they cannot be attained any other way. I.e. exactly what they wanted to do with PS2, by letting you become invisible to radar or thermal vision, etc. It's viewed as a negative thing by the majority of people because the majority of people who play F2P games don't spend any money, either because they can't or they just don't want to. P2W elements foster the idea that spending money is strongly encouraged, if not mandatory, to a fair gameplay experience... A PVP-based game has little room for error in this regard. PS2 has a bad enough reputation with their cash shop as it has always existed, they don't need to be adding crap like this to make it worse.

5. Re: PlanetSide 2 Shelving Paid Implants Jul 18, 2013, 19:06 NewMaxx

I think the real issue is the concept of consumables within the framework of PVP-based MMOG's. I remember back in WoW (I quit when TBC came out) I would run raids then do PVP afterwards with buffs, flasks, stacks of consumables, etc., and generally steamroll if the other side wasn't in the same situation. So you get a bit of a "cold war" effect that somehow people now call "pay to win," despite the fact it existed even in a subscription-based game.

You needed resources to get that edge but not a small amount of people purchased gold and even characters to get that bonus, especially for PVP. This was way before PVP was really popular and implemented in WoW, too; I have no doubt it increased as an issue after I left. However a person with enough effort and time could achieve the same results for free, and really that's the basis of F2P games nowadays: the exchange of time and convenience for real-world work.

It's quite possible to have perfect balance in such a game, although that is a difficult endeavor. The reality is people want differentiation, they want these bonuses, edges, and individual perks, and are even willing to pay for them. Among those that complain are a fair share who wouldn't mind that themselves if they could get it for free. So it's important to not equate "terrible idea according to entire player base" with "terrible idea that could be re-worked to be generally acceptable."

I guess I could take this further and bring up World of Tanks, a game I played a lot in the past. It was quite noteworthy for its consumables and quite frankly, pretty much anybody after a certain level of play in the very least used the basics like tread replacement. Yet it was expensive enough that if you didn't think it would be worth the cost, you could suck it up...and really that's the way it should be.

4. Re: PlanetSide 2 Shelving Paid Implants Jul 18, 2013, 15:44 LittleMe

How about this idea: more fun game = mo money mo money mo money  

Political freedom can only be preceded by economic freedom which is preceded by monetary freedom.

3. Re: Publicity stunt... Jul 18, 2013, 14:17 Axis

Hmm I 'shelved' Planetside 2 near the end of beta...  

Yours truly,

Axis

2. Publicity stunt... Jul 18, 2013, 12:58 JohnBirshire

"Pay to win" is the number 1 complaint of any Free to Play competitive game, and every company in the business knows the backlash would be catastrophic and destroy their game. I have no doubt in my mind whatsoever that they leaked "plans" to do it, just so they could turn around and say "Nevermind, we listened to our community and changed our minds" afterwards, and look like the good guy. Publicity stunt, nothing more.  

1. Re: PlanetSide 2 Shelving Paid Implants Jul 18, 2013, 10:32 NKD

Nice to see people who actually listen.  

If you don't like where gaming is heading, stop giving your money to the people who are taking it in that direction.

9 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo