Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Path of Exile Adds Twitch Streaming

Grinding Gear Games announces Path of Exile is the latest game to jump on the Twitch bandwagon, as the action/RPG now has integrated support for the streaming video service:

Auckland, New Zealand - July 16, 2013 - Grinding Gear Games today announced that Twitch, the world's leading video platform and community for gamers, has been integrated into their online action RPG, Path of Exile. Path of Exile now allows players to stream gameplay from inside the game client, including full support for streaming webcam footage and integrated Twitch channel chat. Twitch integration also enables players to know who on the leaderboards is racing at any given time for real-time spectating.

Leveraging Twitch's new software developer kit, Path of Exile is able to add functionality beyond the live broadcasting of gameplay. When Path of Exile and Twitch accounts are linked, users viewing the Path of Exile website will be able to see little Twitch icons next to player names wherever they appear on the site while streaming and can click on the logo to visit the user's stream. In addition, while a Path of Exile race event is in progress, the leading streamer for that event is shown on the race page. Since all streamers are marked on the leaderboard, players can switch between them and watch them play directly on the race page.

View
11 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

11. Re: Path of Exile Adds Twitch Streaming Jul 17, 2013, 10:45 HorrorScope

Axis wrote on Jul 17, 2013, 08:52:
Most videos are used like one would a youtube tutorial or information.

The majority of 'watchers' are quite young people -- those who are growing up on youtube/internet videos and see videos as representing normal people rather than companies and movies.

I can't tell you how many minecraft videos from sky my son and his friends watch -- way more than any saturday morning cartoons I used to watch...

Seeing the same, my youngest skype's with a bunch of friends and they watch others or each other play as they shoot the breeze. If someone is against it, they are old, "what we did was __________ and was better, kids today do _________, can you believe it?". You say that you are repeating history and are old.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

10. Re: Path of Exile Adds Twitch Streaming Jul 17, 2013, 09:33 MattyC

Flo wrote on Jul 17, 2013, 02:36:
I still don't get it: Why would I watch other people playing video games?

Well just watching people straight up playing a game wouldn't be that interesting, but there is much more than that on Twitch. They have tournaments and people providing commentary.

While I wouldn't ever really care to watch a ARPG to each their own. Twitch has quite a bit that I like to watch that others may or may not enjoy. I was really hoping Tivo would get a Twitch app.

9. Re: Path of Exile Adds Twitch Streaming Jul 17, 2013, 08:52 Axis

Most videos are used like one would a youtube tutorial or information.

The majority of 'watchers' are quite young people -- those who are growing up on youtube/internet videos and see videos as representing normal people rather than companies and movies.

I can't tell you how many minecraft videos from sky my son and his friends watch -- way more than any saturday morning cartoons I used to watch...

Yours truly,

Axis

8. Re: Path of Exile Adds Twitch Streaming Jul 17, 2013, 07:27 nin

RaZ0r! wrote on Jul 17, 2013, 03:41:

It's better for you than TV probably.

If you're a game like me, it is. I find Kerbal videos fascinating, as they come up with all kinds of designs I might not have tried...and then the explosions are a riot to watch.

Narrations and walkthroughs are cool, too. Robbaz normally has me laughing so hard, I have tears running down my face.

http://store.nin.com/index.php?cPath=10

7. Re: Path of Exile Adds Twitch Streaming Jul 17, 2013, 03:41 RaZ0r!

It's better for you than TV probably. Seriously, there are lots of reasons, like as mentioned seeing high-level players play in tournaments. Watching for new play styles and techniques. Preview what a game is like before you play it, etc. Even the one-off guys steaming usually provide commentary which will help you learn some games.

6. Re: Path of Exile Adds Twitch Streaming Jul 17, 2013, 02:54 jacobvandy

Obviously a lot of people like it, or else Twitch wouldn't be exploding in popularity... It's like gaming videos on YouTube, except a lot of it is happening live, so there's that aspect of interactivity. You might want to check out some gameplay of a title you don't own, or learn how to play [better] from people who know what they're doing. Games like Path of Exile that also have a component of high-level competition are very attractive to viewers. That's where the bulk of the traffic will be, as opposed to random dudes streaming everyday gameplay, which is what you're probably envisioning.  

5. Re: Path of Exile Adds Twitch Streaming Jul 17, 2013, 02:53 eRe4s3r

I sometimes watch console RPG's ;p Although some stuff like watching people play "the Last of US" can get quite aggravating..

Aside that it's a good way to kill some time if you are waiting for something to happen.. like postal dudes coming or something.

4. Re: Path of Exile Adds Twitch Streaming Jul 17, 2013, 02:36 Flo

I still don't get it: Why would I watch other people playing video games? It also feels wrong whenever I see a Planetside 2 commercial on mainstream TV.  
Supporter of the "Chewbacca Defense"

3. Re: Path of Exile Adds Twitch Streaming Jul 17, 2013, 00:24 RaZ0r!

Being one of the top watched games on Twitch, it's nice they added a client. (As long as it doesn't lag the game like some built in clients do.)  

2. Re: Path of Exile Adds Twitch Streaming Jul 16, 2013, 22:36 MattyC

This wouldn't be my kind of game to watch, but it is still neat that they are adding the tech. Hopefully it inspires other devs to add it to games I do/would watch.  

1. Re: Path of Exile Adds Twitch Streaming Jul 16, 2013, 20:38 dj LiTh

Also they buffed up the Ranger starting area passives, and nerfed a little bit CI (both of which were needed badly)  

11 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo