Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

INSECTION Kickstarter

This Kickstarter looks to raise 280,000 for INSECTION, an objective-based co-op first-person shooter for Windows, OS X, and Linux where up to four players team up to fight off an endless horde of alien insects, something like Left 4 Dead meets Starship Troopers. Developer Glasswing Studio offers some screenshots and proof-of-concept videos, and here's a bit of how the game is described: "In the game you play as one out of 4 ex-marines trying to survive in the Universe. You can play as Dylan or Derek - marines to the bone - or even as a delightful Robot with Dante or a killer female cyborg pilot with Dona. Each character has a unique past and a story that ties them together. This also ties in with another aspect of gameplay: Augmentations. Each character has access to a unique set of augmentations that allow players to change how they play the game."

View
5 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

5. Re: INSECTION Kickstarter Jul 16, 2013, 03:08 Ant

DOOM had 4 players for both co-op. and DM.
Duke3D had 4 players for both DM and co-op. I thought it was two, but http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dbUA5wUwe2Y showed 4.

Ant @ The Ant Farm: http://antfarm.ma.cx and Ant's Quality Foraged Links: http://aqfl.net ...
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

4. Re: INSECTION Kickstarter Jul 15, 2013, 23:25 MoreLuckThanSkill

jimnms wrote on Jul 15, 2013, 22:16:
Doom was limited to 4 players in coop and DM. Duke 3D also was limited to 4 player MP. I remember playing 4-player DM in Duke 3D, but I can't remember if it had coop.

Hrm, Doom was 4 player DM I recall that. Then Quake 1+ was pretty much unlimited. Killing Floor, for a more modern example, is at least 6 players by default, and it's still playable.

I guess it's more of a personal dislike for 4 player coop, because it usually means my group of people has to either rotate people out, or field two groups, and then people start getting annoyed. And it's hard enough getting everybody together at the same time and willing to play the same game in the first place these days.

3. Re: INSECTION Kickstarter Jul 15, 2013, 22:36 Orogogus

And then all the DOOM and Build Engine games that came after were likewise limited to 4 players.

I find that in most games, 4 people is about right. More than that and you're not so much playing a group playing co-op as a bunch of people who happen to be in the same game and maybe not killing each other all the time. It gets too chaotic, and co-op games that have storylines generally aren't built to scale from 1 to 32 gracefully. The last Serious Sam game in particular was a mess, I thought, as players fan out and knock the level down 10 times faster than if it were one guy.

2. Re: INSECTION Kickstarter Jul 15, 2013, 22:16 jimnms

MoreLuckThanSkill wrote on Jul 15, 2013, 21:28:
What caused this nonsense where coop means a max of four players? I understand there was some console influence, with the Xbox(I think?) that could link 4 together, back in the day, but this is a PC/Mac only game... why is the cap 4 players here?

Full disclosure, I have no intention of contributing to this kickstarter, purely because I have a ton of other stuff backlogged already to play, but the 4 player limit jumped out at me here.

PS. Steam Sale is only partially winning the battle vs my finances so far.

Doom was limited to 4 players in coop and DM. Duke 3D also was limited to 4 player MP. I remember playing 4-player DM in Duke 3D, but I can't remember if it had coop.

Steam Profile

1. Re: INSECTION Kickstarter Jul 15, 2013, 21:28 MoreLuckThanSkill

What caused this nonsense where coop means a max of four players? I understand there was some console influence, with the Xbox(I think?) that could link 4 together, back in the day, but this is a PC/Mac only game... why is the cap 4 players here?

Full disclosure, I have no intention of contributing to this kickstarter, purely because I have a ton of other stuff backlogged already to play, but the 4 player limit jumped out at me here.

PS. Steam Sale is only partially winning the battle vs my finances so far.

5 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo