Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

KOTOR Turns 10

The BioWare Blog announces that today is the tenth anniversary of Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic, the cortically acclaimed role-playing game. They celebrate the occasion with some wallpapers and reminiscences about the project from some of its developers. There's also word about this on the Star Wars: The Old Republic website and they also have a developer blog detailing KOTOR's influence on the MMORPG.

View
22 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

22. Re: KOTOR Turns 10 Jul 16, 2013, 11:03 RollinThundr

InBlack wrote on Jul 16, 2013, 04:07:
CrushBug wrote on Jul 15, 2013, 20:02:
For me, I had just finished my first game at BioWare, MDK2 PC. I was a Line Producer, an entry-level position, recently created at BioWare. The then-Lead Programmer, Cam, called me into his office to tell me some news that most of the company didn't know yet. He said:

"We just got a license to do a new game. What is your favorite movie?"
"Star Wars," I answered quickly.
"We are doing a Star Wars game."
"Get the @#%& out of here!"

What a ride...

Great game, wonderfully executed. Its too bad that Bioware never reached those heights again (Dragon Age came close though). I hope your studio recovers some of its mojo and starts making quality RPGs once again (not holding my breath though). Best of luck to you regardless.

I'd say DA:Origins was at that point. Doubtful they can ever get there again however what with their decisions to remove role playing choices from their RPG's. Be it little or no equipment customizations, or "story choices" that ultimately play out the same way regardless of your choices.

Bioware doesn't make deep RPG's anymore, they make action games with big set pieces ala COD with very little character progression.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

21. Re: KOTOR Turns 10 Jul 16, 2013, 09:19 fujiJuice

eRe4s3r wrote on Jul 16, 2013, 03:36:
A spontaneous collapsed lung sounds like the damned most scary thing I ever heard. Way to give a fellow nightmares... glad you are ok now though. *takes a deep breath with phone nearby*

Ha, it is actually far more common than you would think. I had never heard of it until it happened to me, but the doctors had seen it quite a lot. But thank you for the kind words.

20. Re: KOTOR Turns 10 Jul 16, 2013, 05:32 coldcut

TangledThorns wrote on Jul 15, 2013, 21:41:
I played KOTOR six times, four on XBOX and twice on PC. I'd play it again if it supported 1080p.
There's an app a mod for this: http://www.moddb.com/mods/kotor-ultimate

19. Re: KOTOR Turns 10 Jul 16, 2013, 05:15 1badmf

For me, I had just finished my first game at BioWare, MDK2 PC. I was a Line Producer, an entry-level position, recently created at BioWare. The then-Lead Programmer, Cam, called me into his office to tell me some news that most of the company didn't know yet. He said:

What a ride...

"Just kidding, I'm actually firing you."

18. Re: KOTOR Turns 10 Jul 16, 2013, 04:07 InBlack

What a ride...

Great game, wonderfully executed. Its too bad that Bioware never reached those heights again (Dragon Age came close though). I hope your studio recovers some of its mojo and starts making quality RPGs once again (not holding my breath though). Best of luck to you regardless.

This comment was edited on Jul 16, 2013, 05:42.

I have a nifty blue line!

17. Re: KOTOR Turns 10 Jul 16, 2013, 03:45 eRe4s3r

Not just an utterly terrible WoW clone but an utterly terrible PAY TO WIN game to boot... played TOR enough to see the underlying problems and regret it.

Thanks to TOR Bioware has literally ruined any chance in hell of us ever getting Kotor 3 as well... because Disney sure as hell ain't going to do it. And even if, then it will have nothing of the content and mature story that Kotor had.

Sigh...

16. Re: KOTOR Turns 10 Jul 16, 2013, 03:36 eRe4s3r

A spontaneous collapsed lung sounds like the damned most scary thing I ever heard. Way to give a fellow nightmares... glad you are ok now though. *takes a deep breath with phone nearby*  

15. Re: KOTOR Turns 10 Jul 16, 2013, 00:24 Genesys

Optional Nickname! wrote on Jul 16, 2013, 00:12:
If you squint really hard, you can see people still playing Pazaak in the park.

Reminds me of that old Tom Lehrer song, "Poisoning Pigeons in the Pazaak"

14. Re: KOTOR Turns 10 Jul 16, 2013, 00:12 Optional Nickname!

If you squint really hard, you can see people still playing Pazaak in the park.

Thanks, Derek!

13. Re: KOTOR Turns 10 Jul 16, 2013, 00:02 fujiJuice

Creston wrote on Jul 15, 2013, 23:25:
fujiJuice wrote on Jul 15, 2013, 22:57:
My fond memories of this game include playing on my xbox in my room, with a tremendous pain in my chest. On the insistence of my mother, I went to the doctor the next morning to find out I was walking around with a spontaneously collapsed lung. Needless to say I was rushed to the ER and spent a week in the hospital. Way to go KOTOR!

That twist near the end is pretty big, but I'd never heard of it collapsing a lung before.

Creston

It took my breath away

I know you are joking, but I was in the middle somewhere. If you showed me a video of the whole game I could tell you exactly where, that is how much that night stuck in my memory. I actually didn't finish it until many months later, but yeah great ending.

12. Re: KOTOR Turns 10 Jul 15, 2013, 23:25 Creston

fujiJuice wrote on Jul 15, 2013, 22:57:
My fond memories of this game include playing on my xbox in my room, with a tremendous pain in my chest. On the insistence of my mother, I went to the doctor the next morning to find out I was walking around with a spontaneously collapsed lung. Needless to say I was rushed to the ER and spent a week in the hospital. Way to go KOTOR!

That twist near the end is pretty big, but I'd never heard of it collapsing a lung before.

Creston

11. Re: KOTOR Turns 10 Jul 15, 2013, 22:57 fujiJuice

10. Re: KOTOR Turns 10 Jul 15, 2013, 22:28 Creston

And we celebrate Kotor's 10th birthday by... PLAYING TOR!

Oh wait, no we don't.

I'd gladly kickstart a Kotor 3, but now that everything's owned by Disney, the odds of that happening are infinitesimal.

Creston

9. Re: KOTOR Turns 10 Jul 15, 2013, 22:16 Bucky

I never even looked at the MMO (except for the CGI stuff), yet I played KotOR at least a dozen times.

Just thinking about what KotOR 3 could have been like, had it been given half of the MMO's budget makes me want to cry.

8. Re: KOTOR Turns 10 Jul 15, 2013, 21:43 Jedi Master

While it may not have been the best "RPG", it was one of the best SW games ever made, and certainly better than almost any made since.

I really wanted KOTOR 3, not this ridiculous MMO.

7. Re: KOTOR Turns 10 Jul 15, 2013, 21:43 Prez

Such a great game. We should have had long since seen KOTOR 3 by now, but they decided to make an utterly terrible World of Warcraft clone with a Star Wars wrapper on it instead. Compared to KOTOR, Star Wars The Old Republic is complete shit in every possible way.  

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

6. Re: KOTOR Turns 10 Jul 15, 2013, 21:41 TangledThorns

I played KOTOR six times, four on XBOX and twice on PC. I'd play it again if it supported 1080p.  

5. Re: KOTOR Turns 10 Jul 15, 2013, 21:11 NegaDeath

Such an awesome game. And perfectly on cue I have an urge for another playthrough. I hate when that happens.  

4. Re: KOTOR Turns 10 Jul 15, 2013, 20:40 Ray Ban

It's about time for another replay!  
"The future's so bright I gotta wear shades!"

3. Re: KOTOR Turns 10 Jul 15, 2013, 20:32 Cutter

Kotor turns 10. Or in other words, that was the last decent game they did. Is that something to celebrate, or mourn?

"Nobody wants to be nobody in America. Ed is the apotheosis of a prevailing American syndrome. It used to be that someone became famous because they were special. Now people are considered special just for being famous. Fame, itself, is its own virtue.

22 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo