Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

F1 2013 Announced

Codemasters announces F1 2013, a new installment in their Formula One racing sim series coming to Windows, Xbox 360, and PlayStation 3 this autumn, offering a new "F1 Classics" mode that will allow players to "race classic cars on iconic circuits against legendary drivers." We have a big set of screenshots and the official website has a teaser trailer for the classics mode, showing glimpses of autos it offers from way back in the 1980s. A far more rewarding work-in-progress gameplay trailer is out there showing a hot lap on the legendary Nürburgring and then another hot lap on Silverstone. Here's part of the announcement explaining a Classic Edition will be sold alongside the newfangled edition of the game adding jalopies from the 1990s, and that this content will also eventually arrive as DLC:

F1 2013 will feature all the cars, circuits and star drivers from the 2013 season, allowing gamers to race as Lewis Hamilton in his Mercedes and Sergio Perez in the McLaren-Mercedes for the first time, and includes all of the new drivers, updated rules, tyre changes and remodelled handling to authentically reflect the challenge and exhilaration of racing 2013’s stunning roster of FORMULA ONE™ cars. A range of game enhancements, split-screen and online multiplayer, plus new and returning game modes delivers the most complete FORMULA ONE experience in videogame history.

F1 2013 gives FORMULA 1™ fans the chance to compete against legendary drivers in cars from different eras of FORMULA ONE with a range of classic content from the 1980s. F1 Classics, introduced by legendary broadcaster Murray Walker, allows players to race iconic 1980s cars from Williams, Lotus and Ferrari against drivers including Mario Andretti, Nigel Mansell, Emerson Fittipaldi and Gerhard Berger, with more to be announced, on classic circuits Brands Hatch and Jerez. Classic content is also available in a range of other game modes, including split-screen and online multiplayer modes.

The premium F1 2013: CLASSIC EDITION delivers even more classic content with two additional content packs featuring content from the 1990s and additional circuits to be enjoyed in F1 Classics and other game modes. The 1990s pack includes classic cars from both Williams and Ferrari and drivers such as David Coulthard, Jacques Villeneuve, Eddie Irvine and Alain Prost and others.

The two packs included in F1 2013: CLASSIC EDITION will also be available as optional DLC for players of F1 2013 shortly after release.

f1_2013_014_wip.jpg - 720,494 bytes f1_2013_001_wip.jpg - 585,303 bytes f1_2013_1988_williams_003_wip.jpg - 610,102 bytes f1_2013_012_wip.jpg - 685,709 bytes

View
12 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

12. Re: F1 2013 Announced Jul 16, 2013, 03:31 Krizzen

Optional Nickname! wrote on Jul 15, 2013, 18:59:
Any recommendations on a PC based/exclusive non-steam single player racer? High-end and/or wheel required ok. Need for Speed was fun back in the day.

If you happen to wanna try a more realistic sim, Live for Speed is amazing. It's a bit dated, but I've never played any sim where the tires just "felt" real. The entire tire is modeled from the wear measured over some 64 points, temperature across those points, and the effects of the tire compressing and the result based on the heat and load. It's pretty amazing. It also models suspension, differentials, and damage quite realistically. Of course you can tweak all the parameters like tire pressure, camber, castor, suspension forces, and gear ratios.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

11. Re: F1 2013 Announced Jul 16, 2013, 00:04 Optional Nickname!

Excellent suggestions, I'm sure to get GRID and Flatout and see how they go, thanks for the replies!  

10. Re: F1 2013 Announced Jul 15, 2013, 21:04 Ladron3dfx

Optional Nickname! wrote on Jul 15, 2013, 18:59:
Any recommendations on a PC based/exclusive non-steam single player racer? High-end and/or wheel required ok. Need for Speed was fun back in the day.

GRID (GOG.com,DRM Free), Flatout (GOG.com,GamersGate.com,DRM Free), Flatout 2 (GamersGate.com,DRM Free), Driver San Francisco (Uplay,GamersGate.com,Tages DRM), Driver Parallel Lines (Uplay,GamersGate.com,Tages DRM), Crash Time series (GamersGate.com), Test Drive Unlimited 2 (GamersGate.com)

All games listed are Steam/Steamworks free and SP with some an optional MP component.

Burnout Paradise can also be played w/o Steam also. (Origin.com,GamersGate.com)

Steamworks

9. Re: F1 2013 Announced Jul 15, 2013, 19:20 eRe4s3r

Sim or Arcade?

Sim: Obviously GTR and GTR Legends then. Both are better than the crap Simbin produces nowadays. Also maybe RACE 07+Addons.. but I don't know if that's on Steam or not. Still, GTR Fia is one of the best racing games I know. But it's realistic (apart from damage modeling) and there are some mods for it that improve physics.

If you want more Arcade racers then there aren't that many good ones... Burnout Paradise was great... but lots of these were steam only and not exclusives

This comment was edited on Jul 15, 2013, 19:28.

8. Re: F1 2013 Announced Jul 15, 2013, 18:59 Optional Nickname!

7. Re: F1 2013 Announced Jul 15, 2013, 13:35 jdreyer

Looks good. Hard to assess how nice the engine is with all the artifacting on youtube, but I thought it was just serviceable. I did see a bit of pop in at distance, which is unacceptable on the PC in this day an age. Maybe this was video from the console version.

As for gameplay, I really do like F1, as the courses are interesting shapes and require both skill and tactics to do well on in races.

"It's just a bunch of mystic bovine scatology to me." - 1badmf

6. Re: F1 2013 Announced Jul 15, 2013, 13:33 theglaze

SpectralMeat wrote on Jul 15, 2013, 13:03:
Wish they would skip a few years and make a proper sequel instead of shitting this franchise out like it is a Fifa or Madden game. New one comes out every year with an updated roster and that is about it.
It is not like they have to make new tracks every year or they over haul the graphics engine or anything like that.

Just too little changes from one year to the next.
Not to mention 2012 I found was really boring for some reason.

Considering what Bernie charges for the F1 license ($20 million for the first Codemasters F1 2010), I bet they have to keep releasing titles because Bernie would be asking for more and more based on the growing revenue success. If they decide to not make a title, they still have to pay that license or risk losing the game the following year if they can't contractually figure that out.

I think the timing is off: they release the new game towards the end of the season which means we simulate 2013 with the old drivers and track rotation. Every league schedule has a compromised track listing because of this, most recent example, Hockenheim instead of Nurburgring GP.

And yes, there have been subtle improvements in car handling, and it's been trending towards slightly more simulated and less arcade gameplay.

5. Re: F1 2013 Announced Jul 15, 2013, 13:04 theglaze

theglaze wrote on Jul 15, 2013, 12:53:
I wonder if the classic F1 cars can be used on the modern tracks, which cannot be assumed when considering GRID 2 DLC. Would be awesome to practice the lines and explore the a track in an old Mclaren that Senna used....

Wait a minute...no reference to Senna or his Championship winning team & cars?

If this is oversight, then it's blatant incompetence and proof once again that the development team are not actually F1 or sim fans. If there are legalities behind the scenes and they couldn't secure the rights, well then that's just a pity.

A pity indeed:

General details:
- Ayrton Senna is not in the Classic Edition as another developer holds the rights
- You are able to race F1 2013 cars at the Classic tracks, and you are able to race the classic cars at the F1 2013 tracks. (You can take out a 1992 Williams FW14B at Austin, and you can take the 2013 Red Bull RB9 out at Brands Hatch)
- Unable to mix eras (only 1980s and 1980s, and only 1990s and 1990s)

4. Re: F1 2013 Announced Jul 15, 2013, 13:03 SpectralMeat

Wish they would skip a few years and make a proper sequel instead of shitting this franchise out like it is a Fifa or Madden game. New one comes out every year with an updated roster and that is about it.
It is not like they have to make new tracks every year or they over haul the graphics engine or anything like that.

Just too little changes from one year to the next.
Not to mention 2012 I found was really boring for some reason.

Steam: SpectralMeat

3. Re: F1 2013 Announced Jul 15, 2013, 12:59 theglaze

SpectralMeat wrote on Jul 15, 2013, 12:48:
This one is becoming the CoD of the racing games.
I love F1 but I am not sure I will buy it this year.
They do not make big enough changes to warrant the full price.

Totally agree. For every step forward, it feels like they take a step back.

For example, they introduce co-op championship via multiplayer, but there is no 'Free Run' mode? In fact, there is no 'Custom Race' where the user has full control over the settings and could make their own practice session.

2. Re: F1 2013 Announced Jul 15, 2013, 12:53 theglaze

I wonder if the classic F1 cars can be used on the modern tracks, which cannot be assumed when considering GRID 2 DLC. Would be awesome to practice the lines and explore the a track in an old Mclaren that Senna used....

Wait a minute...no reference to Senna or his Championship winning team & cars?

If this is oversight, then it's blatant incompetence and proof once again that the development team are not actually F1 or sim fans. If there are legalities behind the scenes and they couldn't secure the rights, well then that's just a pity.

1. Re: F1 2013 Announced Jul 15, 2013, 12:48 SpectralMeat

This one is becoming the CoD of the racing games.
I love F1 but I am not sure I will buy it this year.
They do not make big enough changes to warrant the full price.

Steam: SpectralMeat

12 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo