Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Valve's Young Developer Pipeline

A new Pipeline website from Valve details a program being operated by the Bellevue, Washington-based developer to explore video game development possibilities for teenage developers with none of the real-world experience they emphasize when hiring their staff. The site features a video introducing the concept and a FAQ that says the expect to present some of the promised information on the topic "within the next month or so," and offers the following outline of what this is all about:

There are two main reasons that Valve is creating Pipeline. The first is that we are frequently asked questions by teenagers about the videogame industry. "What is it like to work on videogames? What should I study? What colleges are best for preparing me? How do I get a job in videogames?" Pipeline will be a place where those questions can be discussed. The second is that Valve is running an experiment. Traditionally Valve has been a very good place for very experienced videogame developers, and not so good at teaching people straight out of school (the reasons for this and the tradeoffs are covered in the Valve employee handbook). Pipeline is an experiment to see if we can take a group of high school students with minimal work experience and train them in the skills and methods necessary to be successful at a company like Valve.

View
12 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

12. Re: Valve's Young Developer Pipeline Jul 15, 2013, 18:23 eRe4s3r

NKD wrote on Jul 15, 2013, 13:39:
Valve is the best adult daycare that exists.

About the only thing they are doing nowadays... where is Half-Life 3? Or where is something unique from Valve? Seems all they do nowadays is pet their money trees and remake stuff. Dota remake, CS remake ....

Seriously, without Steam, there would not be a Valve. And if a game developer is more famous for selling other peoples games than their own games then something is amiss.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

11. Re: Valve's Young Developer Pipeline Jul 15, 2013, 17:55 Tom

MrBone wrote on Jul 15, 2013, 12:59:
What college? You learn to code well by studying the work of great coders. I would suggest getting into a github project and contributing towards it, etc. It is a great way to learn the craft and work in a team environment.

Studying code can be very helpful, no doubt, but in my opinion the more important source of growth is actually coding. If you want to get better at something, DO IT. A lot. Make an active effort to get better at it. Experiment. Refine. Reflect. Evolve. The relentless pursuit of perfection... it comes from within. Studying the works of others is important but it's only one piece of the puzzle.

10. Re: Valve's Young Developer Pipeline Jul 15, 2013, 15:55 Dev

Slashman wrote on Jul 15, 2013, 14:41:
Creston wrote on Jul 15, 2013, 11:07:
Valve Opens Teen Sweat Shop, World Rejoices!

Creston

Standard 14-hour work day full of joy and merriment!!! Whip
Naw, more like 4 hour.

9. Re: Valve's Young Developer Pipeline Jul 15, 2013, 14:41 Slashman

Creston wrote on Jul 15, 2013, 11:07:

Creston

Standard 14-hour work day full of joy and merriment!!! Whip

8. Re: Valve's Young Developer Pipeline Jul 15, 2013, 13:39 NKD

Valve is the best adult daycare that exists.  

If you don't like where gaming is heading, stop giving your money to the people who are taking it in that direction.

7. Re: Valve's Young Developer Pipeline Jul 15, 2013, 13:34 MajorD

RaZ0r! wrote on Jul 15, 2013, 12:30:
MajorD wrote on Jul 15, 2013, 10:52:
Yeah, all these projects are great, BUT WTF is Half-Life 3?!!!

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=156558748

1, 2,..... Confused

6. Re: Valve's Young Developer Pipeline Jul 15, 2013, 13:18 Beamer

MrBone wrote on Jul 15, 2013, 12:59:
What college? You learn to code well by studying the work of great coders. I would suggest getting into a github project and contributing towards it, etc. It is a great way to learn the craft and work in a team environment.

A great deal of colleges offer game development courses, in addition to the billions that offer more standard CS departments.

Are these worthwhile?
Well, it's hard to say without a program like this, right? Some likely have some worth, more likely have no worth.

While I agree that github and teaching yourself is a great way, it's not as good for someone that knows absolutely nothing, and it doesn't teach you working on a team under one roof, which is a different dynamic. These are the two areas a college course could really outpace self teaching.

"Could." I'd doubt most achieve parity, though some likely do. By and large college should be a way to exchange money for a jump start for those that don't even know where to begin, and a way to exchange money for rigor/process/self-constraint, but I also imagine it most courses fail at much of that.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

5. Re: Valve's Young Developer Pipeline Jul 15, 2013, 12:59 MrBone

4. Re: Valve's Young Developer Pipeline Jul 15, 2013, 12:37 El Pit

Valve's Young Developer Pipeline: Come to Valve and get a desk with WHEELS!!! Do whatever you feel interested in (okay, at least design a hat for TF2 within ten years), and if you finish a game (or TWO hats!) before you reach 60, you'll receive a bonus. Welcome to the Valve time continuum! YAY!  
Consoles? I owned two: a Pong clone and an Atari 2600. And that's it.

3. Re: Valve's Young Developer Pipeline Jul 15, 2013, 12:30 RaZ0r!

MajorD wrote on Jul 15, 2013, 10:52:

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=156558748

2. Re: Valve's Young Developer Pipeline Jul 15, 2013, 11:07 Creston

Creston

1. Re: Valve's Young Developer Pipeline Jul 15, 2013, 10:52 MajorD

12 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo