Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

OZombie Kickstarter Cancelled

A Kickstarter update announces the cancellation of the fundraiser for Spicy Horse's "Oz Action Adventure" that was to be a zombie game set in the merry old land of Oz. The post explains they saw the writing on the wall that the campaign would fail (they had raised a fraction of the $950K they sought), and says they can restart it in the future, but for now they are returning to the idea of securing the film rights to American McGee's Alice:

The Oz campaign has to end. There are two realities driving the decision.

First, we’re facing a challenge with the Alice film rights. Since working to remove it from the Oz campaign we've been unable to launch it as a separate campaign here on Kickstarter – the submission has been rejected multiple times and our appeals have failed (multiple campaigns are not allowed). To launch a campaign for the Alice films rights means we must first shut down the Oz campaign.

Second, we wouldn't consider shutting down the Oz campaign if it were trending towards success. As it is, we've reached 15% of our goal with 20 days left in the campaign. Projections suggest we’ll hit 30% of our goal by campaign end. I've been telling myself to remain optimistic and see this thing through – but when the reality of our funding trend is combined with the pressure of the Alice film rights situation...

For Oz, we can always launch another campaign in the future. On the other hand, the Alice film rights are only within reach during a rapidly closing window of opportunity. We’ll sacrifice Oz today in order to have a real chance with Alice.

For the record, we did also consider (and put work towards) an Alice campaign on IndieGoGo, but decided against this for two main reasons. The first is that we’re concerned about the amount of awareness we can generate on IndieGoGo, since we've never run a campaign there. Here on Kickstarter we have followers (you’re reading this). The other issue is we don’t want to be accused of ‘creating confusion’ or deal with any other negative interpretation that might come out of running two campaigns at the same time.

View
12 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

12. Re: OZombie Kickstarter Cancelled Jul 15, 2013, 20:33 The Half Elf

I dunno, if you could make a Zombie MMO, in the vein of Star Wars Galaxies (player made and run towns), Mad Max/Interstate 76, and throw in some Zombieland humor....  

"I've never seen a feature like this before. It warms your ass. It's wonderful" -Walter Bishop
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

11. Re: OZombie Kickstarter Cancelled Jul 15, 2013, 19:17 Julio

Zombie games aren't overdone, just FPS zombie games. Where's my pile of 'Dawn of the Dead' style turn based strategy zombie games?

I think this KS is a case of pulling out early so they're not embarrassed by how little people want to fund them. They'd be better off trying the traditional route, KS consumers are more discriminating on what they'll fund

10. Re: OZombie Kickstarter Cancelled Jul 15, 2013, 18:36 Flatline

Prez wrote on Jul 15, 2013, 18:08:
Agreed - zombies are old hat and people in general are tired of "It's a zombie game - with a TWIST!". It has to be something from a well established franchise or something REALLY special to catch on at this point.

Case in point- The Walking Dead, while not spectacular as an adventure game, succeeded by having really, really great writing and telling a good story. I burned out on the TV show and never read the comic book, but the game was great.

9. Re: OZombie Kickstarter Cancelled Jul 15, 2013, 18:08 Prez

Agreed - zombies are old hat and people in general are tired of "It's a zombie game - with a TWIST!". It has to be something from a well established franchise or something REALLY special to catch on at this point.  

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

8. Re: OZombie Kickstarter Cancelled Jul 15, 2013, 18:01 Flatline

First, zombies have been done to death (pardon the pun) in video games. They've jumped the shark. I can't even begin to see anything appealing about Oz & Zombies. It gets an eyeroll whenever I think about it.

Second, how do I say this... Alice... it's time has passed. The goth movement is dated and isn't the same as it was. The goth/punk dark twisted fairyland hit at just the right time. Now it's dated. The only "dark/twisted child's fairy tale" I wouldn't mind exploring *might* be Neverland/Peter Pan. The themes at play there with the Lost Boys could actually make for an interesting narrative, reinforcing those ideas instead of... sigh... zombies.

7. Re: OZombie Kickstarter Cancelled Jul 15, 2013, 16:31 Ozmodan

Some people just spend their entire life clueless and expect others to be too.  

6. Re: OZombie Kickstarter Cancelled Jul 15, 2013, 15:41 Cutter

Run all the KS' you want, bud. They won't succeed.

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

5. Re: OZombie Kickstarter Cancelled Jul 15, 2013, 14:40 nin

fujiJuice wrote on Jul 15, 2013, 10:58:
Is there really that much interest in the potential film, they seem to think it is a sure thing?

Nope. But what else can he do? He apparently has no original ideas of his own...

http://store.nin.com/index.php?cPath=10

4. Re: OZombie Kickstarter Cancelled Jul 15, 2013, 12:49 jdreyer

Stupid of them to run one KS for two projects: the Alice film and the OZombie game. They make mediocre games, their main bread and butter. Why would anyone trust them with a medium they have NO experience with, film? Kind of crazy. Just focus on one thing, games, and get those right.

Also, one KS per project would be best.

"It's just a bunch of mystic bovine scatology to me." - 1badmf

3. Re: OZombie Kickstarter Cancelled Jul 15, 2013, 10:58 fujiJuice

Is there really that much interest in the potential film, they seem to think it is a sure thing?  

2. Re: OZombie Kickstarter Cancelled Jul 15, 2013, 10:55 HorrorScope

Sounds like a company with a well defined plan.  

1. Re: OZombie Kickstarter Cancelled Jul 15, 2013, 09:50 nin

but for now they are returning to the idea of securing the film rights to American McGee's Alice:

American McGee's American McGee's Failure. Off to rape another property, right away!

http://store.nin.com/index.php?cPath=10

12 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo