Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Morning Consolidation

View
36 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

16. Re: Morning Consolidation Jul 15, 2013, 13:06 Graham

Creston wrote on Jul 15, 2013, 11:22:
BackscrabbleSoft

Please stop. It's not even remotely witty and detracts from your otherwise valid argument.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

15. Re: Morning Consolidation Jul 15, 2013, 12:34 MindStalker3

Trevellian wrote on Jul 15, 2013, 10:30:
SpectralMeat wrote on Jul 15, 2013, 10:17:
wtf_man wrote on Jul 15, 2013, 09:57:
Microsoft may be upgrading the specs of the Xbox One before its release

The major issue this generation was that Xbox 360 was still generally a windows machine thus making it much easier to program for, despite the PS3 having more powerful hardware.
XBox is PowerPC, Though its still leaps and bounds a simpler architecture than Cell.

14. Re: Morning Consolidation Jul 15, 2013, 11:25 Verno

This was already debunked at the original source I thought, saw it posted on SA forums last week.  

Playing: Gauntlet, Dark Souls 2, Wasteland 2
Watching: Intruders, 24 Live Another Day, The Signal

13. Re: Morning Consolidation Jul 15, 2013, 11:22 Creston

InBlack wrote on Jul 15, 2013, 10:55:
Dont forget that while DDR5 is indeed faster than DDR3, there might be other bottlenecks in both systems. On paper the PS3 should be faster at least with regards to drawing graphics but we have no clue about the speed of the BUS, processor clock values and ton of other shit that might differ between the systems.

Actually, if you look up Mark Cerny's developer diary on the PS4's systems and how they took the overall weaknesses of the PC architecture and made some major changes to them in the PS4(allegedly. We'll have to wait to see whether it's true or not, of course) and I think its hardware will run circles around the 180.

The fact that PS4 games were running on PS4 devkits at E3, whereas BackscrabbleSoft ran all their shit on PCs was pretty telling.

But even so, devs will still only program for the lowest common denominator. It doesn't matter how easy it will be to make it look better on the PS4, they won't do it. Sadly.

Creston

12. Re: Morning Consolidation Jul 15, 2013, 11:17 Creston

12GB of DDDR3 isn't going to help much. Yeah it makes up for the bloated 3 OS's taking up 3GB of the 8GB and puts RAM availability more on par with the PS4... but anyone that knows squat about GPU's, knows that the same GPU with DDR5 is about twice as fast as the one with DDR3. Memory bandwidth is king for GPUs. Then add to the fact that the PS4 has 25% more GPU cores... and not even the alleged clock bump Microsoft may do will help much (in comparison).

It's just a marketing ploy. The average console gamer has no clue what a GPU core is, but if MS can point at their shitbox and say "We have 12GB of RAM, Sony only has 8GB!" the dimwits will eat that up like cake.

Creston

11. Re: Morning Consolidation Jul 15, 2013, 11:15 Creston

nin wrote on Jul 15, 2013, 09:50:
Video Surfaces Of Microsoft, Xbox One Getting Booed At EVO 2013.

LOVE IT!

Ahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha. I especially love the guy with the mic looking like he ate a turd sandwich whereas the other dude just giggles.

I hope they enjoy their exclusive deal with the 180.

Creston

10. Re: Morning Consolidation Jul 15, 2013, 11:10 Creston

"it's ridiculous to be talking about hardware specs. I mean, you can talk about that if you're Cerny, but for people to be talking about that is just meaningless. Blablablablabla dronedronedrone corporate marketing bullshit blablablablabla"

BackscrabbleSoft at its finest. Oh, the amounts of crow those arrogant cockbags have to eat is just SO.FUCKING.DELICIOUS.

Also, the asslicking done by the Dead Rising 3 producer is truly pathetic. "OMG KINECT IS NOW SUCH A JOYFUL, CASUAL EXPERIENCE!" I wonder if he had to shower after that, or if he just enjoys selling his ass out like that.

Creston

This comment was edited on Jul 15, 2013, 11:18.

9. Re: Morning Consolidation Jul 15, 2013, 11:04 HorrorScope

Sounds like a company with a well defined plan.  

8. Re: Morning Consolidation Jul 15, 2013, 10:55 InBlack

Dont forget that while DDR5 is indeed faster than DDR3, there might be other bottlenecks in both systems. On paper the PS3 should be faster at least with regards to drawing graphics but we have no clue about the speed of the BUS, processor clock values and ton of other shit that might differ between the systems.  

I have a nifty blue line!

7. Re: Morning Consolidation Jul 15, 2013, 10:42 SpectralMeat

Thanks for the explanation Trevellian.
Hopefully the new architecture on the consoles will result better PC ports as well.

Steam: SpectralMeat

6. Re: Morning Consolidation Jul 15, 2013, 10:30 Trevellian

SpectralMeat wrote on Jul 15, 2013, 10:17:

12GB of DDDR3 isn't going to help much. Yeah it makes up for the bloated 3 OS's taking up 3GB of the 8GB and puts RAM availability more on par with the PS4... but anyone that knows squat about GPU's, knows that the same GPU with DDR5 is about twice as fast as the one with DDR3. Memory bandwidth is king for GPUs. Then add to the fact that the PS4 has 25% more GPU cores... and not even the alleged clock bump Microsoft may do will help much (in comparison).

For cross platform games I guess devs will have to program for the lowest common denominator anyways, so even though the PS4 is more powerful it is not going to be used.
I doubt features will be turned on/off on different platforms to gain some fps.

Even with this gen, isn't the PS3 more powerful hardware then the 360? The cross platform games still look the same or maybe a bit better on the 360.

Regardless this is a complete cluster fuck from Microsoft. I don't know how they will get out of this one on top but they will have to do some major changes and price cuts, which I doubt they will do.

The major issue this generation was that Xbox 360 was still generally a windows machine thus making it much easier to program for, despite the PS3 having more powerful hardware.

Ask any cross platform studio and they'll tell you the PS3 was a nightmare to program for. Unless you were a first party team like Naughty Dog and knew how to squeeze every single bit of power out of the system, your game ended up taking a hit on the PS3.

This is why cross platform games, I'll use an obvious example, Bayonetta, came out running flawless on Xbox but choppy and clunky (Until patched properly) on the PS3.

In the end I still ended up preferring my PS3 over the 360 due to the first party teams Sony owns, and due to the fact that after my second 360 burnt out I gave up on them.

But it will be a different story this time around with them both running X86 architecture. You fully can and they hopefully will flip certain things on and off dependent on the system to make full use of each systems power. Yes, most teams will probably just be lazy and not bother, but when it's basically down to just changing a value in a Options.cfg hopefully they won't be that lazy.

For the Republic
-C22 Waterson of Planetside 2/Kyrios in ArcheAge

5. Re: Morning Consolidation Jul 15, 2013, 10:30 Darks

Gotta love the comments by the Dead rising douche bags, Yes you have morons, it’s called a pc. Trying using it to its full potential.  

Creator of the Neverwnter Nights Eye of the Beholder Series of Mods.

http://www.moddb.com/mods/eye-of-the-beholder-ii-ledgend-of-darkmoon

4. Re: Morning Consolidation Jul 15, 2013, 10:17 SpectralMeat

For cross platform games I guess devs will have to program for the lowest common denominator anyways, so even though the PS4 is more powerful it is not going to be used.
I doubt features will be turned on/off on different platforms to gain some fps.

Even with this gen, isn't the PS3 more powerful hardware then the 360? The cross platform games still look the same or maybe a bit better on the 360.

Regardless this is a complete cluster fuck from Microsoft. I don't know how they will get out of this one on top but they will have to do some major changes and price cuts, which I doubt they will do.

Steam: SpectralMeat

3. Re: Morning Consolidation Jul 15, 2013, 10:02 nin

Additionally, the Xbone development team is asking designers what other changes to the console they’d like to see — which comes off as a little desperate, especially considering the hardware is supposed to release in around four months.

Laughing my ass off...

And what will that do to the price?

Had no idea this would turn out so entertaining...

http://store.nin.com/index.php?cPath=10

2. Re: Morning Consolidation Jul 15, 2013, 09:57 wtf_man

1. Re: Morning Consolidation Jul 15, 2013, 09:50 nin

Video Surfaces Of Microsoft, Xbox One Getting Booed At EVO 2013.

LOVE IT!

http://store.nin.com/index.php?cPath=10

36 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo