Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Morning Metaverse

View
18 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

18. Re: Morning Metaverse Jul 16, 2013, 09:52 Mr. Tact

I use ABP and if I search for "autorepair" at Google there are two sections presented as "results". The top section is clearly localized, are those simply "smart" results based on Google divining my zip code based on my IP? Or are those business who paid to get preferred results?  
Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

17. Re: Morning Metaverse Jul 16, 2013, 08:38 Verno

I just use an adblocker and whitelist sites I care about, never see an ad on Google. What alternative is there? Pretty much every other search engine blows compared to Google.  

Playing: Dragon Age Inquisition, Far Cry 4, This War of Mine
Watching: The Fall, The Walking Dead, Leon

16. Re: Morning Metaverse Jul 16, 2013, 04:38 InBlack

eRe4s3r wrote on Jul 15, 2013, 18:53:
Beamer wrote on Jul 15, 2013, 12:27:
eRe4s3r wrote on Jul 15, 2013, 10:36:
The article talks about ads... I never saw any ads on google search...

Yeah you did. They've always had ads. They're text ads, but they're paid spots.

Can you give me a screenshot of what exactly you mean (black out anything that ID's you) ? I get 90% local results, 0 results that I could tell are sponsored. And I have a very strong ad-block system and I only see 2 different kind of results when I search for stuff.

1) (Top + Side map, 90% of screen)
Local businesses, that have recommendations on Google Search. Feedback or whatever it's called.

2) Normal results beneath "Find your best mechanic locally" and various other results.

You telling me the top links are sponsored? I always thought they are selected based on feedback that people leave on googles feedback system and my "guessed" location...

This is how it looks for me
-> http://imgur.com/5aQ4XBS

What's a paid link there?

Also for the record: Who the hell searches for a car mechanic without writing his CITY in the search? That's like searching for BAR or FOOD and expecting to land at your favorite bar.

The lists from A) to G) are all paid listings.

I have a nifty blue line!

15. Re: Morning Metaverse Jul 15, 2013, 22:37 Creston

Redmask wrote on Jul 15, 2013, 19:46:
Protip Steve, your product doesnt have to be 4 letters,

You just wait until they rename Office to Cube. Popularity will SKYROCKET!

Creston

14. Re: Morning Metaverse Jul 15, 2013, 19:46 Redmask

Bing is a joke, doesn't even compare to Google. Also has the dumbest fucking name since Zune. Protip Steve, your product doesnt have to be 4 letters, if its any good people will use it and remember it.  

13. Re: Morning Metaverse Jul 15, 2013, 19:31 Beamer

Here's a search of "Watches" on all 3, with ads circled.

Last week I defended Yahoo as not having more crap than Google. Well, with this search it certainly has more crap. Bing, though... that "social search" thing is horrible.

I can't quite tell on Bing if the World of Watches ad is paid or not. It goes inside WoW, but is that a default feature? And it's the only result on the main screen. Seriously, Bing? What shit. "See Also" is nice, but Google's "Search by Brand" is better.

Yahoo makes it a bit hard to tell where the ads end and the listings begin, plus "watches" doesn't seem like something that needs local results. I assume the second World of Watches isn't an ad, but...

Google forsakes local results and gives shopping, which makes sense. It puts the shopping to the left, utilizing more screen space, which makes sense. But those shopping listings are paid, and kind of pointless with something so generic.

For this search, Google is the only decent one.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

12. Re: Morning Metaverse Jul 15, 2013, 19:09 J

I was thinking today that I'm finding google to be more annoying. I was even considering Bing whilst thinking of alternatives. I absolutely hate it when I type in a search for something and it presumes I meant something else, or something else trumps it in the search.

As an example I just typed in monki brain. From top down, I have a youtube video with "Monkey Brain" in the title, 2 Monki Brains, 1 Monki which has brain somewhere else on the page, 2 more Monki Brains, a Monki with a Brian (!) somewhere else in the text, Brain and Monkey separately, Brain and Monki separately, and monkey on its own. That's the first page. The second page has more pages which have both Monki and Brain on them, yet they were superceded by things I wasn't searching for.

Tools do what I expect them to do. That's the point. If I grab a knife and go to chop some carrots I don't expect it to start chopping up an onion instead. When I search for something I don't mind it making suggestions, but a search engine needs to prioritise what I'm searching for, or else I'm going to look for another search engine.

11. Re: Morning Metaverse Jul 15, 2013, 18:53 eRe4s3r

Beamer wrote on Jul 15, 2013, 12:27:

Can you give me a screenshot of what exactly you mean (black out anything that ID's you) ? I get 90% local results, 0 results that I could tell are sponsored. And I have a very strong ad-block system and I only see 2 different kind of results when I search for stuff.

1) (Top + Side map, 90% of screen)
Local businesses, that have recommendations on Google Search. Feedback or whatever it's called.

2) Normal results beneath "Find your best mechanic locally" and various other results.

You telling me the top links are sponsored? I always thought they are selected based on feedback that people leave on googles feedback system and my "guessed" location...

This is how it looks for me
-> http://imgur.com/5aQ4XBS

What's a paid link there?

Also for the record: Who the hell searches for a car mechanic without writing his CITY in the search? That's like searching for BAR or FOOD and expecting to land at your favorite bar.

This comment was edited on Jul 15, 2013, 19:12.

10. Re: Morning Metaverse Jul 15, 2013, 18:28 eRe4s3r

InBlack wrote on Jul 15, 2013, 11:03:
Try again. Type "autorepair" (or whatever) in google and see what results it comes up with. You will notice that the best visible results are nestled nicely where they can be easily spotted and clicked on. These are from companies that pay to be listed, they are not ads in the classical sense of the word.

Doing it in German produces 90% local results.. sadly local being Berlin, which although "local" more or less, is still far enough away that it's bad results.

0 sponsored links that I can tell as such... what exactly is sponsored and what it isn't?

This comment was edited on Jul 15, 2013, 19:00.

9. Re: Morning Metaverse Jul 15, 2013, 13:49 Umbragen

I wouldn't know.

Search anonymously. Find instantly.

8. Re: Morning Metaverse Jul 15, 2013, 12:27 Beamer

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

7. Re: Morning Metaverse Jul 15, 2013, 11:59 Pigeon

It depends on what you're searching for, but it can get pretty bad. Usually software searches, especially freeware, tends to display crap (i.e. scam sites) results first.  

6. Re: Morning Metaverse Jul 15, 2013, 11:34 Creston

Yeah it is getting quite irritating. Fortunately, by displaying these promoted results so prominently, it's very easy to skip them and just go to the actual results from their algorithm just below it.

Creston

5. Re: Morning Metaverse Jul 15, 2013, 11:14 ldonyo

Short answer: Yes  

4. Re: Morning Metaverse Jul 15, 2013, 11:03 InBlack

Try again. Type "autorepair" (or whatever) in google and see what results it comes up with. You will notice that the best visible results are nestled nicely where they can be easily spotted and clicked on. These are from companies that pay to be listed, they are not ads in the classical sense of the word.  

I have a nifty blue line!

3. Re: Morning Metaverse Jul 15, 2013, 10:45 MajorD

I haven't either. This one left me scratching my head....

2. Re: Morning Metaverse Jul 15, 2013, 10:36 eRe4s3r

1. Re: Morning Metaverse Jul 15, 2013, 10:01 avianflu

All of Google's auto-filtering means I see the some results -- even with different word choices. It is definitely a "Please ignore the man behind the curtain" moment.

Google searches were actually better 5 years ago if you knew how to use operands.

18 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo