Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

Out of the Blue

MrsBlue and I were discussing how much things have changed in our area in the 13-or-so years we've lived here, as we used to have a few days a year that required air conditioning, and this year we'll be lucky if we even have a few that do not (so far we've counted one). I dug up a page to do historical comparisons, and I'll need to go back for a less superficial examination, but one quick comparison bore out my theory. The "average mean" temperature this month is nine degrees hotter than out first July here, and the "minimum mean" is eight degrees hotter. I'll go back at some point to try and determine how much this seems like an actual trend than just a pair of data points (since it seems exaggerated), but it certainly supports our seat-of-the-pants (or better, sweat-of-the-armpits) experience.

Hot Links: Thanks Ant and Acleacius.
Play: Icarus Needs.
Stories: The Night James Gandolfini Disappeared.
Images: They said wear something patriotic to work. Challenge accepted.
Sinkholes: When the Earth Opens Up.
Media: Attack on Gaben. Thanks reddit.
I Broke Arma 3.
When US Slams Russia, Press Conference BACKFIRES Big Time.
Follow-up: Edward Snowden nominated for Nobel Peace Prize by Swedish Professor. Thanks Slashdot.

View
19 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

19. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 16, 2013, 13:43 Ant

BobBob wrote on Jul 16, 2013, 13:33:
Mid 70's most of the year here. I'm off to the beach.
Bah, not hot enough! Try 90/100F degrees.

Ant @ The Ant Farm: http://antfarm.ma.cx and Ant's Quality Foraged Links: http://aqfl.net ...
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

18. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 16, 2013, 13:33 BobBob

Mid 70's most of the year here. I'm off to the beach.  

17. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 16, 2013, 02:42 Ant

nin wrote on Jul 15, 2013, 09:54:
Blue, you need to do a nude out: Until MrsBlue relents on full house AC, you're entitled to walk around the house naked, 24/7.

Assuming you don't already, I mean.

Yea, go naked!

Ant @ The Ant Farm: http://antfarm.ma.cx and Ant's Quality Foraged Links: http://aqfl.net ...

16. Re: Nobel Peace Prize Jul 15, 2013, 23:28 Creston

Yosemite Sam wrote on Jul 15, 2013, 17:59:
SoaSE Rebellion is 75% off on steam now. I'm tempted to grab it but have more games then time ATM.

What does that have to do with anything?! Buy! BUY, I SAY!

Creston

15. Re: Nobel Peace Prize Jul 15, 2013, 19:46 jdreyer

1badmf wrote on Jul 15, 2013, 17:06:
if obama had any integrity at all he wouldn't have accepted it, not even due to the fact that he proved to be as warlike as his predecessors, but that he hadn't done anything to earn it at the time.

Totally agree. And I say that as an Obama supporter. It was ridiculous.

"It's just a bunch of mystic bovine scatology to me." - 1badmf

14. Re: Nobel Peace Prize Jul 15, 2013, 17:59 Yosemite Sam

1badmf wrote on Jul 15, 2013, 17:06:
jdreyer wrote on Jul 15, 2013, 13:08:
Creston wrote on Jul 15, 2013, 11:37:
For Snowden? Really?

Then again, you dipshits gave one to Yasser Fucking Arafat, so you might as well. The whole thing became utterly pointless after that debacle anyways.

Creston

Don't forget they gave one to Obama while he was actually ramping up troops in Iraq and Afghanistan. In fairness, I don't think he'd started targeting Americans for termination without due process yet.

if obama had any integrity at all he wouldn't have accepted it, not even due to the fact that he proved to be as warlike as his predecessors, but that he hadn't done anything to earn it at the time.

Yup, giving him that award is turning into a total joke.

SoaSE Rebellion is 75% off on steam now. I'm tempted to grab it but have more games then time ATM.

PSN id PR345, PST - D3, GTA5, Borderlands 2, Grid 2, GTA4, BoS, RDR, GT5, COD WaW, KZ2, RAGE, Dirt2, MC LA, Skate2, LBP, Dead Nation - Wanna jam? Hit me up on PSN, Mention Blues News.

CIV4 MOD http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=326525

13. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 15, 2013, 17:09 nin

jdreyer wrote on Jul 15, 2013, 16:56:
If you're a distance runner, you can relate to what Matt is trying to say over at The Oatmeal.

Good stuff.

That, especially the first page and the last, is pretty thought provoking.

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

12. Re: Nobel Peace Prize Jul 15, 2013, 17:06 1badmf

For Snowden? Really?

Then again, you dipshits gave one to Yasser Fucking Arafat, so you might as well. The whole thing became utterly pointless after that debacle anyways.

Creston

Don't forget they gave one to Obama while he was actually ramping up troops in Iraq and Afghanistan. In fairness, I don't think he'd started targeting Americans for termination without due process yet.

11. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 15, 2013, 16:56 jdreyer

If you're a distance runner, you can relate to what Matt is trying to say over at The Oatmeal.

Good stuff.

10. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 15, 2013, 16:18 Cutter

Because of his bravery, Snowden 'helped to make the world a little bit better and safer,' Svallfors wrote.

Really? I didn't realize that the world's spy agencies had suddenly ceased all activity because of Snowden. Well golly, in that case he sure does deserve the prize! Oh wait....

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

9. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 15, 2013, 16:10 NegaDeath

"When US Slams Russia, Press Conference BACKFIRES Big Time."

Get that woman some Solarcaine. Yeeouch.

8. Re: Nobel Peace Prize Jul 15, 2013, 15:44 Creston

In fairness, I don't think he'd started targeting Americans for termination without due process yet.

If he had, the Nobel committee would have given him a lifetime award, I'm sure.

Creston

7. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 15, 2013, 13:27 xXBatmanXx

Summer Man Card Day 2: Punched
Patio Furniture Assembly Achievement: Completed
Bonuses: No blood, no swearing, no throwing things.

Summer patio furniture, on clearance from Home Depot. http://tinyurl.com/oylv7za
Was 499, in store was 287, online was 229. Nice girl at the counter let me buy in store for 229.

Unpacked, put together, sat, 2 beers drank, 1 hour.

I better slow down....she is going to expect this everyday....

In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. / Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder.
Playing: New dad

6. Re: Nobel Peace Prize Jul 15, 2013, 13:08 jdreyer

For Snowden? Really?

Creston

5. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 15, 2013, 13:06 jdreyer

So I got some "Pecan Cashew Nut Crunch" from Costco this weekend. Gave some to my 5 year old, and he asked me what it was, so I told him.

Later, he wanted some more. He asked, "Dad, more Pecker Nut Crushers please." I spit milk up through my nose.

4. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 15, 2013, 12:25 Necrophob

I live just off the Gulf down in South-Texas. In the summer, it's not unusual to get 100+ F weather, but usually our proximity to the water keeps it in the 90's (with the higher humidity making it feel worse). That being said, we had one day a couple of weeks ago where the temperature in the shade was 107 F (right before a front). A/C companies must be loving this weather.  

3. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 15, 2013, 12:01 Mashiki Amiketo

Around here, it's remained constant. June is warmish, July is hot, and August your flesh it melting.  
--
"For every human problem,
there is a neat, simple solution;
and it is always wrong."
--H.L. Mencken

2. Nobel Peace Prize Jul 15, 2013, 11:37 Creston

For Snowden? Really?

Creston

1. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 15, 2013, 09:54 nin

Blue, you need to do a nude out: Until MrsBlue relents on full house AC, you're entitled to walk around the house naked, 24/7.

Assuming you don't already, I mean.

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

19 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo