Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Steam Top 10

Here's Valve's list of the 10 bestselling games on Steam for this week, influenced, of course, by the kickoff of the Steam Summer Sale:

1. Sid Meier's Civilization V: A Brave New World
  2. BioShock Infinite
  3. Borderlands 2
  4. The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim Legendary Edition
  5. Borderlands 2 Season Pass
  6. Civilization V Gold Edition
  7. Tomb Raider
  8. Left 4 Dead 2
  9. The Walking Dead
  10. Half-Life Complete

View
47 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

47. Re: Steam Top 10 Jul 16, 2013, 09:13 fujiJuice

Nevermind, I was wrong. I left it on all night and only got the one for each. It must have been just from opening them.  

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

46. Re: Steam Top 10 Jul 15, 2013, 23:30 nin

fujiJuice wrote on Jul 15, 2013, 22:49:
xXBatmanXx wrote on Jul 15, 2013, 22:21:
I think it is totally random, but generally takes 1-3 hours that I have noticed. You get your first card in 5-15 minutes.

I have played Terrerria over 100 hours, and went to play again today, got sucked in building a new house and 5 hours later....I dinged the cards at 4 hours. So who knows.

Other games that I have never played, I got them in an hour. Might have something to do with their system load also.....

After reading this thread, I tried alt-tabbing five card enabled games at once. To my surprise I am indeed collecting cards for all of them, sporadically.

Ha!

http://store.nin.com/index.php?cPath=10

45. Re: Steam Top 10 Jul 15, 2013, 22:49 fujiJuice

xXBatmanXx wrote on Jul 15, 2013, 22:21:
I think it is totally random, but generally takes 1-3 hours that I have noticed. You get your first card in 5-15 minutes.

I have played Terrerria over 100 hours, and went to play again today, got sucked in building a new house and 5 hours later....I dinged the cards at 4 hours. So who knows.

Other games that I have never played, I got them in an hour. Might have something to do with their system load also.....

After reading this thread, I tried alt-tabbing five card enabled games at once. To my surprise I am indeed collecting cards for all of them, sporadically.

44. Re: Steam Top 10 Jul 15, 2013, 22:21 xXBatmanXx

Rhino wrote on Jul 15, 2013, 07:13:
jacobvandy wrote on Jul 15, 2013, 06:24:
All you do to earn your free card drops is have the game running, so some people just alt-tab at the main menu. I'm not sure whether it's a small chance you could get one every minute, or if it's every X amount of time, but it usually takes up to 2-3 hours, depending on how many cards are in the set. You get half the total number in the set, rounded up, but that might include a duplicate or two. And so, it is mandatory to either trade with friends or buy/sell on the market in order to complete a set and craft a game badge. Crafting a badge gets you XP to level up your Steam account, a random emoticon and profile background image associated with that game, and for now, a Getaway card. Before the sale, that last thing was a random coupon.

It varies all over the place. I've seen some speculation that it may be based upon the amount of time that one may have already played the game; and my experience suggests that there may be something to that. Psychonauts, which I had never installed (I had played it previously non-Steam and got this copy on account of a Humble Bundle) took a few hours. Saints Row the Third, for which I had already had over 220 hours logged, took about ten-fifteen minutes. The others varied appropriately in between. Still, that may have been total chance on my part.

Buy from GreenManGaming? Use this, we both get $2.00 - http://www.greenmangaming.com/?gmgr=purutuwi

43. Re: Steam Top 10 Jul 15, 2013, 21:35 Rhino

fujiJuice wrote on Jul 15, 2013, 18:08:
Oops, sorry it took me so long.

Bah, you didn't do anything wrong. It was all me.

42. Re: Steam Top 10 Jul 15, 2013, 18:08 fujiJuice

Oops, sorry it took me so long.  

41. Re: Steam Top 10 Jul 15, 2013, 17:31 Rhino

fujiJuice wrote on Jul 15, 2013, 13:39:
Hey Rhino, I couldn't find you on Steam so I sent you the key via your Bluesnews profile. I am not entirely sure where that goes though

I'm not sure where that goes, either. I don't... see it, and didn't get a notification in my e-mail.

Still, don't worry about it. I wasn't sure if you were going to send it, panicked at the 11th hour before the sale ended and bought it. My own fault for being impatient and twitchy. Keep the code, hand it off to somebody else in need.

Thank you very much for the chance, even if I did end up being a dope about it :-)

Changed my steam name to YourLoyalHenchman, which should make things easier in the future.

Edit: Never mind, I did get the e-mail finally. Still, pass it on to somebody else. Like I said: got impatient.

This comment was edited on Jul 15, 2013, 17:52.

40. Re: Steam Top 10 Jul 15, 2013, 13:39 fujiJuice

Hey Rhino, I couldn't find you on Steam so I sent you the key via your Bluesnews profile. I am not entirely sure where that goes though  

39. Re: Steam Top 10 Jul 15, 2013, 09:20 Quinn

jacobvandy,

Thank you for the elaborate information! Highly appreciated. It somehow made more sense than Steam's explanation of the cards.

I... I think I'm going for the The Witcher 2 gamebadge. Or at least for Triss' card. Anyone have that one for trade?

"Moo," she said.
And I trembled.

38. Re: Steam Top 10 Jul 15, 2013, 07:13 Rhino

jacobvandy wrote on Jul 15, 2013, 06:24:
All you do to earn your free card drops is have the game running, so some people just alt-tab at the main menu. I'm not sure whether it's a small chance you could get one every minute, or if it's every X amount of time, but it usually takes up to 2-3 hours, depending on how many cards are in the set. You get half the total number in the set, rounded up, but that might include a duplicate or two. And so, it is mandatory to either trade with friends or buy/sell on the market in order to complete a set and craft a game badge. Crafting a badge gets you XP to level up your Steam account, a random emoticon and profile background image associated with that game, and for now, a Getaway card. Before the sale, that last thing was a random coupon.

It varies all over the place. I've seen some speculation that it may be based upon the amount of time that one may have already played the game; and my experience suggests that there may be something to that. Psychonauts, which I had never installed (I had played it previously non-Steam and got this copy on account of a Humble Bundle) took a few hours. Saints Row the Third, for which I had already had over 220 hours logged, took about ten-fifteen minutes. The others varied appropriately in between. Still, that may have been total chance on my part.

37. Re: Steam Top 10 Jul 15, 2013, 07:08 Rhino

Prez wrote on Jul 14, 2013, 22:51:
Ten pounds and no drugs? I'd have dubbed her "insane".

Yeah, we didn't know that the little one was going to be quite that large. Now, on that note we still probably would have gone the natural route. That said, my wife now wavers on whether she would do the same if there's a next time: sure it was pretty damned painful, but (a) what are the odds that the next little one will be that big? and (b) we can't argue with how freaking fast the healing process was.

36. Re: Steam Top 10 Jul 15, 2013, 06:24 jacobvandy

If you're referring to ones that say "Getaway Sale" at the bottom, that confused my friend, too; they're random. 10 different games are headlining 10 days of sales, and so they're the ones featured on the set of trading cards used to earn the summer sale badge. Those cards are earned for participating in the sale or crafting game badges. You don't get the Tomb Raider card for owning that game, or the Skyrim card for owning that one, but you do get some of their own set of cards for playing them (like you did with The Witcher 2).

Basically, it's a pretty genius hybrid of gamification and "collect 'em all" syndrome to get people more involved with Steam and the games available there. Kind of like how in previous sales they encouraged buying games you don't necessarily want, in order to achieve some objective and get a reward of not very high value, except the trading cards thing is happening ALL THE TIME now, with sets constantly being added to more games (new sets will probably eventually be added to games that already have them, too)... Meanwhile Valve takes 5% of each of the zillions of transactions going on in the community market, heh. Developers get 10%.

This comment was edited on Jul 15, 2013, 06:29.

35. Re: Steam Top 10 Jul 15, 2013, 05:15 Quinn

I don't get how the trading cards work. I played The Witcher 2 for 3 hours last night and got 4 cards in my inv!

I also got 2 cards of games I've never bought or played.... :\

This comment was edited on Jul 15, 2013, 05:32.

"Moo," she said.
And I trembled.

34. Re: Steam Top 10 Jul 15, 2013, 00:16 Creston

Fion wrote on Jul 14, 2013, 23:00:
Spec-Ops: the Line (DL'ing now, I've heard good things.)

I wasn't terribly impressed with it, to be honest. The shooter part of it is okay, but there are some excessive difficulty spikes, and I thought the story was just "eh." Yeah, big great deal about you as a US soldier killing US soldiers, but they're firing at YOU, so what choice do you really have? It's also over in 6 hours.

The level design is awesome though, and the game is full of really cool views and vistas.

Creston

33. Re: Steam Top 10 Jul 14, 2013, 23:12 jacobvandy

Finally got to use the XCOM Squad added to Civ V with BNW... They're every bit as awesome as you would expect. They're an upgrade to the paratrooper, bit stronger than modern armor, and can airdrop up to 40 tiles away (half-way across the world on a large map). When you do that, you see the dropship zoom across the tile and the squad float down on jump jets, and then you blast fools in the face with plasma HMGs. May be the best cross-franchise cameo ever!  

32. Re: Steam Top 10 Jul 14, 2013, 23:00 Fion

Yea I'm having a lot of fun with Tombraider. Quicktime events were a pain in the ass (specifically the 'mash left and right') but once I started using a script for that, no problems.

So far I've grabbed;

Brave New World (non-sale, amazing expansion)
Tomb Raider 2013 (really fun!)
Witcher 2 (Haven't even loaded it up yet)
Spec-Ops: the Line (DL'ing now, I've heard good things.)

31. Re: Steam Top 10 Jul 14, 2013, 22:51 Prez

Ten pounds and no drugs? I'd have dubbed her "insane".  

The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.
- Mahatma Gandhi

30. Re: Steam Top 10 Jul 14, 2013, 22:04 Rhino

xXBatmanXx wrote on Jul 14, 2013, 21:57:
Rhino wrote on Jul 14, 2013, 21:53:
fujiJuice wrote on Jul 14, 2013, 21:45:
I have really been enjoying Tomb Raider, I wasn't sure I would so I waited for the sale. Glad I picked it up.

Hey Rhino if you didn't get borderlands 2 yet, I have a extra key from the Amazon sale.

I haven't, yet, so good timing on your part. Been busy with the newborn (she's a trifle fussy this evening).

Congrats, ours will be here in Oct.

Thanks :-) This will be OUR second, my wife's third (previous marriage). 10 lbs, 1.9 ounches, 22 inches long. My 5'4" wife (to give an idea of how big this kid was, proportionately) went without any pain meds of any kind. We have officially dubbed her Wonder Woman.

29. Re: Steam Top 10 Jul 14, 2013, 21:57 xXBatmanXx

Rhino wrote on Jul 14, 2013, 21:53:
I have really been enjoying Tomb Raider, I wasn't sure I would so I waited for the sale. Glad I picked it up.

Hey Rhino if you didn't get borderlands 2 yet, I have a extra key from the Amazon sale.

I haven't, yet, so good timing on your part. Been busy with the newborn (she's a trifle fussy this evening).

Congrats, ours will be here in Oct.

Buy from GreenManGaming? Use this, we both get $2.00 - http://www.greenmangaming.com/?gmgr=purutuwi

28. Re: Steam Top 10 Jul 14, 2013, 21:53 Rhino

EDIT: my Steam name is Thursday1977

This comment was edited on Jul 14, 2013, 22:23.

47 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo