Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Saturday Mobilization

View
4 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

4. Re: Saturday Mobilization Jul 13, 2013, 23:06 NewMaxx

One of the reasons that the article doesn't really touch on is the fact that infrastructure often jumps generations for developing nations. For example, many places in Africa jumped over telephone lines more or less completely to go straight to mobile phones. This happened simultaneously with social and economic changes, so the connection between money and mobility is deep. For an example, imagine a culture that goes from barter and common banditry to encryption and mobile Paypal in a single step; it's not surprising they embrace a far superior method as they are bypassing intermediately superior steps.

It's a lot like other technologies where an established one, like x86 chips for example, are so entrenched that even superior technologies find it difficult to compete. It's just simpler to iteratively improve the old technology up to a very distant point. If you could however jump from one technology to another that's both superior and cheaper, you'd quickly leave the old behind, and that's essentially what happened in many developing countries. It enables them to specialize and develop a niche often, as well.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

3. Re: Saturday Mobilization Jul 13, 2013, 14:53 killer_roach

Cutter wrote on Jul 13, 2013, 13:51:
Maybe because it's of working in hospitality but I'm a cash guy. I don't want thieves or the gubment - same thing really - being able to track my spending, find a way to hack my digital account, etc. I never use debit cards and any CC purchases get paid off every month, but I pay for almost everything in cash.

Basically the same reason why mobile payments caught on in Kenya. Rule of law there isn't particularly strong, and people seemed to trust the mobile networks with their money more than they did the banks, the government, or having it themselves (property crime is stunningly high in Kenya, especially in the capital city of Nairobi).

2. Re: Saturday Mobilization Jul 13, 2013, 13:51 Cutter

Maybe because it's of working in hospitality but I'm a cash guy. I don't want thieves or the gubment - same thing really - being able to track my spending, find a way to hack my digital account, etc. I never use debit cards and any CC purchases get paid off every month, but I pay for almost everything in cash.

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

1. Re: Saturday Mobilization Jul 13, 2013, 13:16 Bill Borre

All those princes have mobile phones.  

4 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo